suprefan

Thrice

6,355 posts in this topic

In store performance and signing at Fingerprints in Long Beach on May 27th. If you pre order the album at the store or call, you can get in. Of all the fucking days and Im gonna be in Mexico....

Here's a new Thrice song with Anthony Green on vocals.

New track "Death from Above" playing on bbc one right now.

The music (guitar especially) is pretty darn good. The vocals are sort of disappointing. I am pretty sure the lyrics are telling the story of a bombardier or drone operator in the Middle East having moral problems with killing people. Meh. When compared to "Blood on the Sand", sort of more of the same, but with better guitar work.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_one# you have to rewind the stream and kind of hunt for the correct time.

Edited by drew_willy

I'm actually really happy it hasn't leaked after what happened with Beggars.

Generally it seems like bands keep a tighter ship now.

Anyway, musically this song is by far the best but I'm already getting a little sick of shouty Dustin in chorus.

Yeah, 'Death from Above' definitely about drones and shit; does make sense that Dustin would write about that...I'm cool with the music. I generally like Dustin's voice always, but I hate Tool...and I DEFINITELY get a vibe of Tool from him during that chorus, so this song doesn't end up working for me ultimately. Looking forward to the rest though.

The beginning got me hyped because it sounded like an Air song

After going back and listening to everything again, I reckon the Alchemy Index is their most interesting work. Vheissu maybe the most cohesive. Rest are real up and down - I don't go back to many songs on Beggars and only go back to Words in the Water/Disarmed on M/M

Edited by ant

Ehhh.  I don't know what it is that isn't clicking for me with these songs.  I'm all in with the message in each of them so far, and I like Dustin taking the lyrics in a political direction.   A+ for that.   But I don't think I care for him as a vocalist anymore.  Or maybe I don't like the style of rock they're playing.   

People seem to be high on this song, but I don't see it.  Probably my least favorite of the three that have been released.   Sounds like a mix between the Fire album (weakest of the Alchemy Index) and Major/Minor (barf).   Black Honey is okay (really great instrumentally, and the last minute is nice) despite sounding very Major/Minor.  Blood On the Sand grew on me the most. 

Also whoever said Black Honey sounds like Brand New -- spot on.  If you subbed in Jesse's vocals, it would fit right in on The Devil and God.

Most excited to hear Hurricane.  Already know I'm going to love that one.

This thing hasnt leaked cause theyre probably delaying shipments to stores til Thursday. By then, theres no point in putting it online. Also, itll pop up on itunes at about 9pm on Thursday cause itunes music store runs on est, so whatever is out Friday will be pt up by then. Wonder if our digital downloads will pop up at midnight, though. Like if we ordered the vinyl. And hoping there is no stupid download error. And it seems that nobody has gotten a copy to review?

Edited by suprefan

This thing hasnt leaked cause theyre probably delaying shipments to stores til Thursday. By then, theres no point in putting it online. Also, itll pop up on itunes at about 9pm on Thursday cause itunes music store runs on est, so whatever is out Friday will be pt up by then. Wonder if our digital downloads will pop up at midnight, though. Like if we ordered the vinyl. And hoping there is no stupid download error. And it seems that nobody has gotten a copy to review?

It's a different landscape than it was the last time they released a record 5 years ago.  Leaking didn't often come from store deliveries -- it happened weeks & sometimes months in advance from press & promotional copies.  Physical copies aren't distributed any more for review, so they don't need to be pressed way in advance and delivered.  No one cares about magazine press deadlines.  Beggars leaked so far in advance (almost 3 months!) that Thrice ended up advancing the digital release pretty soon after and advanced the physical release as much as they could given production and shipment timeframes.  

Ehhh.  I don't know what it is that isn't clicking for me with these songs.  I'm all in with the message in each of them so far, and I like Dustin taking the lyrics in a political direction.   A+ for that.   But I don't think I care for him as a vocalist anymore.  Or maybe I don't like the style of rock they're playing.   

See, I feel the opposite.  I haven't enjoyed music from Thrice in a long time and I've really liked the three songs out so far.  I don't know, maybe it's because I'm musically retarded compared to most people on here, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far.

various thoughts during release week:

• does anyone feel like this album is going to be a companion piece to Muse's Drones? i love muse. i liked drones. i don't mind the lyrical content, though i do think black honey's lyrics sound pretty cheesy. but really, i'm glad thrice are not talking about jesus in these three songs. i hope this album remains w/o the jesus element.

• does anyone else hear riley's drums in the bridge of blood on the sand? there's some fucking fire fills going on but they aren't high enough in the mix to hear (only on my good headphones). damn Ri! also, i can't get over the fact that dustin is screaming "I'm so sick of this shit" at the end of it. really adds so much and gives me chills, especially knowing dustin is a good ole christian bear who likes his pies cussin'-free.

• honestly, i'm digging these three songs a lot – more and more as i hear them. black honey is completely saved by the last minute. blood on the sand's bridge is fantastic and death from above is fucking awesome lyrically and musically. fuck subtlety.

I DROP DEATH OUT OF THE SKY! *chills*

• My main gripe is with Ed. i've always thought there's so much more he could do in so many of thrice's songs throughout their career. i know he's a great bassist but so much of the time he just follows the rhythm guitar instead of breaking out and doing his own riffing to give some of the songs another dynamic. goddamn! 

Edited by cardinal

An interview revealing some details about the album to get us hyped. Spoilers, I guess? 

https://chorus.fm/interviews/riley-breckenridge-of-thrice

Also, check the band's bio page on Vagrant's website for some other little details about the album.

I am really excited to hear the opening and closing tracks. From what Riley says above, the titles, and that ten second clip of the opener, my interest is piqued big time.

It's a different landscape than it was the last time they released a record 5 years ago.  Leaking didn't often come from store deliveries -- it happened weeks & sometimes months in advance from press & promotional copies.  Physical copies aren't distributed any more for review, so they don't need to be pressed way in advance and delivered.  No one cares about magazine press deadlines.  Beggars leaked so far in advance (almost 3 months!) that Thrice ended up advancing the digital release pretty soon after and advanced the physical release as much as they could given production and shipment timeframes.  

I know they dont send out physical ones anymore, because they send digital versions which are watermarked and tracked. I would know cause I get those kinds of things. They also personalize a link to stream it, so they could see if you are giving it out to anyone else and such. But theres still deadlines, cause thigns will pop up come Friday when it comes out.