suprefan

Thrice

6,355 posts in this topic

Good album. A bit too heavy - I need some slow jams to break it up. This album can be assaulting on my ears! My poor, poor baby ears!

Hurricane is amazing. I think Riley's drum fills after the first chorus are gratuitous. kind of awkward and unnecessary.

I'm hearing The Ataris – So Long Astoria on Whistleblower and it's driving me nuts. Stay With Me, too.

The Long Defeat reminds me of Coheed.

The Window reminds me of Dear Hunter.

Seneca...seems pointless. It should've been longer or nothing at all.

Wake Up is shit. I can't believe they put this song on the album. the chorus is laughable. it'll be the one i never listen to, just like Listen Through Me on M/M or In Exile on Beggars.

Salt and Shadow reminds me of Coldplay, but just Dustin's vocals. I love the song, wish they'd put out more music like this. They've done enough heavy records. 

Edited by cardinal

Wake Up is shit. I can't believe they put this song on the album. the chorus is laughable. it'll be the one i never listen to, just like Listen Through Me on M/M or In Exile on Beggars.

Interesting, In Exile might be my favourite Thrice track of all time.

My tier list for the album currently...

---

The Window

Hurricane

Salt and Shadow

---

Death From Above

The Long Defeat

Stay With Me

---

Whistle-blower

Black Honey

Blood on the Sand

Wake Up

In roughly that order. Probably move a few around within tiers depending on mood/speakers.

Just finished my first listen. Much more mature sound than the previous albums....don't know how to describe it....less riffy, but "stronger" songs?

Definitely.  In that interview with Riley posted by drew_willy a couple of pages back, Manwich Fuckface talked about how much they enjoyed working with the producer this go, how he challenged them and also made sure that they didn't construct songs in a way that diminished the hook.  Overall, that would lead to a song sounding more mature.  Of course, that does make the songs less rich lyrically, but Dustin will always be strong thematically.  They also had 5 years worth of personal work to throw into the hat and come out with something.  

yeah, typically when I get new albums, it takes awhile for me to get past the first couple of tracks. 
'Hurricane' is definitely the best song on the album, a perfect opener, and the type of song I like Thrice to make when they go big

5AKJeaI.gif

Kind of how I felt when I first listened to it.

If somebody were to follow me around, they would find me listening to 'Hurricane' on repeat at home, in the car, at the gym, at home, and then at work since I do BS data entry in a lab all day.

I guess it would be like the dude singing the 'Imagination Land' song on repeat

(wish they had the actual clip)

Yep. I've had Hurricane on repeat at work all day. So good, it probably makes me look like an idiot when I'm listening to it. This album makes me wanna see them live. I was on the fence. ObservatoryOC, Riley. I know you're reading this.  Make it happen. 

I've listened to the album twice now, and I can't stop playing Hurricane. Easily slid into my top 5 favorite Thrice songs. 

Daniel....

Will I see u @ the show next Friday?

[ ] yes

[ ] no 

[ ] maybe

Daniel....

[ ] yes

[ ] no 

[X] maybe

Good sir, Zavala!  This release really is getting the whole band back together.

My presence is unlikely.  I'm only to ever attend another Thrice show with a specific someone and the stars don't seem to be in alignment this time around.

Oh.  Hi everyone.

I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised- I've listened a few times through and am really enjoying every song.  Dustbin's non-yelling/screaming voice sounds like it's been through the ringer a few too many times, but I got past that after a few minutes.

It's kind of like a catchier version of Major/Minor to me so far.

I wish I had heard that Swarm of Bees song before I saw that video.  Oh well. 

I like it, but does the screaming at the end of Blood on the Sand make anyone else laugh?  It sounds like he's yelling about a "Licorice Stick"

I haven't dug into the lyrics too much, but personally I appreciate that Dustbin took his foot off the gas pedal on the Christian stuff.

I miss you guys!  I'll try to post more and especially if any of my sports teams are ever good again.  I'd be happy to hear from any of you on gchat/gmail.

RAPID FIRE HOT TAKES

Tom Brady is a crook/Hodor : ( /I'm really digging a lot of Slott Spider-Mans and Hickman comics lately/Civil War was great/Batman v. Superman was laughably bad/The last season of Mad Men kinda ruined it all for me.  It was okayyy but....eh./Seattle is cool./I only hate watch Walking Dead now/The Witcher 3 was a lot of fun.

Hurricane - 11/10.  Possibly my favorite Thrice song.

Blood on the Sand - 7.5/10. Warmed up to it.

The Window - 7.5/10

Wake Up - 3/10. No.

The Long Defeat - 7.5-8/10

Seneca - pointless 

Black Honey - 7/10

Stay With Me - 8/10. Not feeling the lyrics, but the rest is good.

Death From Above - 7/10

Whistleblower - 8/10

Salt and Shadow - 8.5/10

Overall a hundred times better than Major/Minor.  Hurricane carries the album, but there are some good tracks, and I like the lyrical themes.  

Daniel....

[ ] yes

[ ] no 

[X] maybe

Good sir, Zavala!  This release really is getting the whole band back together.

My presence is unlikely.  I'm only to ever attend another Thrice show with a specific someone and the stars don't seem to be in alignment this time around.

:-( 

Alas, the gods are not on my side. 

This album is 8.5/10 captains chairs.

oh...hi. good to see we're still alive.

EDIT: this was my collection of thoughts on the album's first pass that I put on the Thrice subreddit

Hurricane - If you were to play Major/Minor and TBEITBN as one continuous album...could there be a better song to follow up Anthology (and we all pretend that Disarmed doesn't end that album)? Also 1:39 of this song and 1:42 ofListen Through Me...they like that sound I guess! I really hope they start their new tour with this as their first song. What a comeback!

Blood on the Sand - We've had enough time to soak this one in. I knew it wasn't going to be their best song, but it's got that Image of the Invisible-esque catchiness that makes it a solid single choice.

The Window - If you wanted to recreate the intro to Radiohead's Paranoid Android in the vein of Thrice, and then took the breakdown from Between the End and Where We Lie, and then ended it with I want to say All the World is Mad? Yeah, it's a chimaera of Thrice and their love affair with Radiohead.

Wake Up - This song sounds like a B-side from Beggars, cause it's bluesy as heck - some serious The Weight vibes going on. It's so funny how portentous Vheissu ended up being for their future sound. The Earth Will Shake was like the lynchpin for songs like this and for the entire Beggars album. Especially that breakdown, it's like TEWS's grown-up cousin.

The Long Defeat - The Alchemy Index - Air called, they want their song back. Oh man, those vocal harmonies in the chorus, dang son, it's like Broken Lungs is twice as long and we're only now hearing the 2nd half.

Seneca - I was like damn this song is brooding and moody, I can't wait for this to kick in...and then it was over :(

Black Honey - As far as singles go, this one is my pick over Blood on the Sand - such a catchy chorus, "do it again til I got what I need" - damn I want to sing that forever. Again, really drawing from their Beggars / Major/Minor style on this one, especially the breakdown. We've heard this one enough to leave it at that.

Stay With Me - Like Wake UpAt the LastListen Through Me, and Night Diving The Earth Isn't Humming before it, this song will go into the bucket of songs you will never request they play at a live show. Can't win em all...

Death from Above - Premiered a few days ago so it's still fresh. The vocals are sweet, really sweet, I really like singing along to this song. It's got some Arsonist vibes going on and I'm okay with it, but with way more melody than anything on Alchemy Index - Fire. I want to say this is the most original song Thrice has made on this album, because it's the hardest one to pin down which previous album it was influenced by, other than occasional Arsonist nod as mentioned above.

Whistleblower - Of Dust and Nations 2.0???? Of Dust and Nations 2.0.

Salt & Shadow - THE FUCKING SONNETS ARE BACK BABY. ALCHEMY INDEX V, ALL THE FEELS I HAD FOR SILVER WINGS AND THE WHALER COME FLOODING BACK. WHO IS CUTTING ONIONS IN MY LIVING ROOM? WHO CUTS ONIONS IN A LIVING ROOM?

Now that I've listened to the album I want to say a dozen times now, here are my even more condensed thoughts:

Hurricane still fucking rules. It's a whilrwind of emotion for me, really heavy lyrics. Fun to play on the guitar.

Blood on the Sand I'm already over it. I still agree that it's got the same level of cheese that Image of the Invisible did. They choose the worst singles.

The Window Is Between the End and Where We Lie and Paranoid Android by Radiohead. I stand by that. I like that this album draws all the way back to Vheissu, and this could totally has been on Vheissu, makes me appreciate that album more.

Wake Up is cheese to the max. The lyrics are like what every kid who starts a punk band writes about. It plays because I forget to skip it.

The Long Defeat instantly reminds me of why I the Alchemy Index has grown on me as an album, particularly Air. Really melodic and sad sounding, I like that.

Seneca is a reference to the philosopher who coined the term of the album: "Who is everywhere is nowhere. When a person spends all his time in foreign travel, he ends by having many acquaintances, but no friends.“

Black Honey grew on me. A lot. Love that the topic is on greed and the mentality of those in power.

Death From Above is also growing a lot on me. It's clearly about a US drone bomber (or pilot?) who is disenfranchised by his work and what it stands for. Really intense, which makes me appreciate it much more.

Whistleblower is clearly about Snowden. I love the "fuck you" attitude around these lyrics. That second verse: "You told me to keep quiet / that I'd ruin everything / But I'd rather start a riot / Than help you pull those strings / You told me to kneel / But I'll tell the real story". Damn son.

Salt and Shadow is the best song on this track - tied with Hurricane because in my mind, they're one song. The ideal scenario is this song plays to start the set of their live tour. Dustin walks on, sings this song...as it ends, the rest of the band walks on stage. Hurricane starts. Everyone wonders who is cutting onions in the crowd. The world is right again.

Edited by Adam

EDIT: this was my collection of thoughts on the album's first pass that I put on the Thrice subreddit

Hurricane - If you were to play Major/Minor and TBEITBN as one continuous album...could there be a better song to follow up Anthology (and we all pretend that Disarmed doesn't end that album)? Also 1:39 of this song and 1:42 ofListen Through Me...they like that sound I guess! I really hope they start their new tour with this as their first song. What a comeback!

Blood on the Sand - We've had enough time to soak this one in. I knew it wasn't going to be their best song, but it's got that Image of the Invisible-esque catchiness that makes it a solid single choice.

The Window - If you wanted to recreate the intro to Radiohead's Paranoid Android in the vein of Thrice, and then took the breakdown from Between the End and Where We Lie, and then ended it with I want to say All the World is Mad? Yeah, it's a chimaera of Thrice and their love affair with Radiohead.

Wake Up - This song sounds like a B-side from Beggars, cause it's bluesy as heck - some serious The Weight vibes going on. It's so funny how portentous Vheissu ended up being for their future sound. The Earth Will Shake was like the lynchpin for songs like this and for the entire Beggars album. Especially that breakdown, it's like TEWS's grown-up cousin.

The Long Defeat - The Alchemy Index - Air called, they want their song back. Oh man, those vocal harmonies in the chorus, dang son, it's like Broken Lungs is twice as long and we're only now hearing the 2nd half.

Seneca - I was like damn this song is brooding and moody, I can't wait for this to kick in...and then it was over :(

Black Honey - As far as singles go, this one is my pick over Blood on the Sand - such a catchy chorus, "do it again til I got what I need" - damn I want to sing that forever. Again, really drawing from their Beggars / Major/Minor style on this one, especially the breakdown. We've heard this one enough to leave it at that.

Stay With Me - Like Wake UpAt the LastListen Through Me, and Night Diving The Earth Isn't Humming before it, this song will go into the bucket of songs you will never request they play at a live show. Can't win em all...

Death from Above - Premiered a few days ago so it's still fresh. The vocals are sweet, really sweet, I really like singing along to this song. It's got some Arsonist vibes going on and I'm okay with it, but with way more melody than anything on Alchemy Index - Fire. I want to say this is the most original song Thrice has made on this album, because it's the hardest one to pin down which previous album it was influenced by, other than occasional Arsonist nod as mentioned above.

Salt & Shadow - THE FUCKING SONNETS ARE BACK BABY. ALCHEMY INDEX V, ALL THE FEELS I HAD FOR SILVER WINGS AND THE WHALER COME FLOODING BACK. WHO IS CUTTING ONIONS IN MY LIVING ROOM? WHO CUTS ONIONS IN A LIVING ROOM?

Now that I've listened to the album I want to say a dozen times now, here are my even more condensed thoughts:

Hurricane still fucking rules. It's a whilrwind of emotion for me, really heavy lyrics. Fun to play on the guitar.

Blood on the Sand I'm already over it. I still agree that it's got the same level of cheese that Image of the Invisible did. They choose the worst singles.

The Window Is Between the End and Where We Lie and Paranoid Android by Radiohead. I stand by that. I like that this album draws all the way back to Vheissu, and this could totally has been on Vheissu, makes me appreciate that album more.

Wake Up is cheese to the max. The lyrics are like what every kid who starts a punk band writes about. It plays because I forget to skip it.

The Long Defeat instantly reminds me of why I the Alchemy Index has grown on me as an album, particularly Air. Really melodic and sad sounding, I like that.

Seneca is a reference to the philosopher who coined the term of the album: "Who is everywhere is nowhere. When a person spends all his time in foreign travel, he ends by having many acquaintances, but no friends.“

Black Honey grew on me. A lot. Love that the topic is on greed and the mentality of those in power.

Death From Above is also growing a lot on me. It's clearly about a US drone bomber (or pilot?) who is disenfranchised by his work and what it stands for. Really intense, which makes me appreciate it much more.

Whistleblower is clearly about Snowden. I love the "fuck you" attitude around these lyrics. That second verse: "You told me to keep quiet / that I'd ruin everything / But I'd rather start a riot / Than help you pull those strings / You told me to kneel / But I'll tell the real story". Damn son.

Salt and Shadow is the best song on this track - tied with Hurricane because in my mind, they're one song. The ideal scenario is this song plays to start the set of their live tour. Dustin walks on, sings this song...as it ends, the rest of the band walks on stage. Hurricane starts. Everyone wonders who is cutting onions in the crowd. The world is right again.

I don't understand what you mean about the lyrics to "Wake Up." Care to explain that?

I don't think "disenfranchised" means what you think it means. You meant "disillusioned", right? ;)

Anybody make it to that in-store tonight in LBC? I tried watching the facebook stream, but it crapped out after one song. They sounded good doing "Black Honey" acoustic though. :D

I don't understand what you mean about the lyrics to "Wake Up." Care to explain that?

I don't think "disenfranchised" means what you think it means. You meant "disillusioned", right? ;)

Anybody make it to that in-store tonight in LBC? I tried watching the facebook stream, but it crapped out after one song. They sounded good doing "Black Honey" acoustic though. :D

my first post back in 3 years and getting questioned about my grammar. you know i can ban you right? :D

he felt disillusioned by what he stood for but he felt disenfranchised from his work with the line "all he said was to just shut my mouth and do the 'will of God'" - that was when he knew he had no say in the matter and no power to really fight what he stood for.

Adam,

:D welcome back! 

What did you mean about "Wake Up"? I don't get it, and I'm curious what you think about the song. The lyrics to Thrice songs are always much more important a part of the songs to me than those of other artists. 

Does anyone else (probably the guitarists out there) think Thrice rely on the same technique (not sure if that's the right word) for many of their songs? The technique (?) I'm referring to dates back to the verse of Earth Will Shake and Hold Fast Hope. They also used it on the chorus of B-side Weight of Glory.

Basically what I mean is strumming down on the heavy bass strings as a power chord then up-strumming on the open E & B strings. 

Some other songs I hear it in: 

Burn the Fleet chorus
Hurricane chorus
The Window at like 2:10
Black Honey

Not that it's a bad thing, just something I've noticed before, especially w/ HFH and WOG during Vheissu. I always kind of thought that's why they left WOG off Vheissu, because it would sound a little too much like HFH. But hearing TBEITBN really made me think of this a lot more as several songs employ that.

No one is comparing "Wake Up" to "Doublespeak"?  There's a lot of "Beggars b-side" going on, but "The Weight" isn't the comp to me.  Everyone hated "Doublespeak", something about those bluesy songs Thrice cranks out with simplistic lyrics.  They're the same song to me.  

Edited by DK.

I'm only through "Wake Up" as of now, and I'm really liking it so far.

Just like your other favorite Wake Up song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GSH6aleSE

I scrounged up my login details just to shout out this post. SOLID effort.

OH, DID YOU, SAUEY?

I'm only through "Wake Up" as of now, and I'm really liking it so far.

Just like your other favorite Wake Up song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GSH6aleSE

Nah, bruh.  You mean this song.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7I3PHqcy_o

Hurricane reminds me of a lesser version of The Earth Will Shake. It's good but I'm not in LOVE with it like a lot of you guys. I didn't know the second track was a single, I love the topic because I hate guns... Black Honey definitely grew on me. Will keep listening... makes me want to go back and listen to Vheissu and *gasp* actually try to like TAI (I was #1 hater of that project back when it originally came out).

Even if it's a lesser version of 'the Earth Will Shake', that's cool to me since that's probably my #1 song by them. I'd say 'Hurricane' is now a top 3-5 song by them for me. Such a good tone-setter, so strong, and culmination of everything. They finally released an opening track I love probably since 'Cold Cash Colder Hearts' (the outro to that version live is awesome). I think 'Digital Sea' and 'Firebreather' are fine and 'Image of the Invisible' is strong live, but they're not necessarily ones I return to. 'Hurricane' is perfect to me. I don't get the criticism that was made of Riley being excessive/show-y with his drumming after the first chorus either. They all do a great job of making sure everything serves the song. It's pretty great that, as they've gone along, it really feels like Riley/Eddie's talents are catching up to Dustin/Teppei's, who were always the main draw. Just so incredibly balanced. But then again, I'm not technically savvy to pick shit apart. It's just enjoyable.

I'm very cool with this album...lot of songs I maybe disliked at first ('Wake Up', 'Stay With Me', 'Death from Above') I am cool with listening to, although those are my 'least favorite' tracks. 'Whistleblower' I dig despite fearing that it might suck based off of what was said on here. 'Seneca' is kind of pointless as a segue track and isn't a song, but when I'm playing the album front-to-back, it's not like I'm skipping that either. 'Black Honey' is so damn strong as a song the more I listen to it.

Probably the stretch of the year here but for the sake of discussion:

death from above uses the idea of drone pilots killing innocents as an analogy for dustins time at mar hill?

would be great if there was a B-Side called 'Fuck Mark Driscoll' ...and then you just go, 'Huh. So much for Dustin being subtle'.

I kind of expected a song to be obvious as a metaphor in slamming Mars Hill too maybe. But I don't see it.