suprefan

Thrice

6,354 posts in this topic

Probably the stretch of the year here but for the sake of discussion:

death from above uses the idea of drone pilots killing innocents as an analogy for dustins time at mar hill?

I think it is more likely that "Whistleblower" is about the Mars Hill stuff (along with its obvious connections to Snowden; Dustin was very quick to point out in a tweet that this song was only PARTIALLY inspired by Snowden).

No one is comparing "Wake Up" to "Doublespeak"?  There's a lot of "Beggars b-side" going on, but "The Weight" isn't the comp to me.  Everyone hated "Doublespeak", something about those bluesy songs Thrice cranks out with simplistic lyrics.  They're the same song to me.  

Yeah, the melody and way he sings in the Wake Up verses sounds very similar to Doublespeak.

Wake Up and Doublespeak are essentially the same song. I brought that up on reddit and got downvoted to oblivion. Same vocal melody, same-ish build up thing. Same blues feel. But I like Doublespeak and hate Wake Up.

Been listening to dis shit on repeat for the week, and I think this is my updated THRICE power-ranking.

Vheissu = Beggars > Air > Major/Minor > Artist in the Ambulance > Earth > Illusion of Safety > TBEITBN > Water > Fire > Identity Crisis

This album is "butt rock" as one of my best friends calls it - can't really deny it.

Even with Beggars, and both of the last two albums, they've gone in a very "basic rock band" direction. Sure, I love some songs, and sure it's still Thrice, but they aren't doing anything too unique musically. I think the album is decent. I can enjoy the album all the way through for the most part but I'm not being WOW'd really... 

Though I have gone back and started listening to TAI again and I always said if they made that into a 12 track album instead of 24 I would love it. I didn't realize how much I loved the Earth album, though. Musically, I'm not huge on folk'y type stuff but I think they did some interesting stuff on that EP front to back.

Also still love Daedalus though not really crazy about the rest of that EP... and I love the production and mixing for the most part on Fire - Messenger/ Backdraft/ Arsonist back to back to back are pretty dope. Water is next...

Hmm... well to be honest, there are parts of different songs I love... I love the very ending of the last song - because the album is over (just kidding, I like that they tie in Hurricane with the piano melody, super cool).

I really enjoy Hurricane, Black Honey, and the last track. I like parts of lots of other songs, but most tracks on the album are a 3/5 for me. Super basic rock songs that are kinda catchy and pretty well recorded but nothing that's really surprising or new. The album comes in at a 3/5 as a whole for me, and that's as a long time Thrice fan. My few friends I know who are pretty up with music literally just laugh at the album. My other really good friend who also loves thrice is who deemed it "butt rock". Just one man's opinion.

I grew up with lots of fellow Thrice fans and seemingly none of them like this album aside from maybe a few songs. Way different reaction than what I see online. It is funny. I tried listening to it more. I don't really see myself listening to this album again.

I listened to Illusion of Safety with some friends the other day. So much nostalgia and fun. Great riffs. 

I grew up with lots of fellow Thrice fans and seemingly none of them like this album aside from maybe a few songs. Way different reaction than what I see online. It is funny. I tried listening to it more. I don't really see myself listening to this album again.

I listened to Illusion of Safety with some friends the other day. So much nostalgia and fun. Great riffs. 

giphy.gif

Edited by DK.

Ahh. Yes. You can only post something reaffirming your initial thoughts if you love the subject matter. No negatives about Thrice guys. 

I honestly just thought I was going to be the odd man out of my friends who liked Thrice because of reactions here and elsewhere. Thought it was strange.

Enjoy. 

^that's not saying anything though...I mean, most the people who liked them turned on them around 'Vheissu' . They were into them for their raw heaviness along with most those other similar sounding bands and those casual 'fans' were never going to stick around and like them the same way when they were 15, really, other than a mild passing interest. Most people just aren't going to like music or give it the same time that they did when they were a teen.

I feel like if they changed their band name with the release of 'Vheissu' they may not have been pigeonholed so badly...and they'd have more fans, in another way.

And if you've been a fan of a band for 15+ years, and you can come away with a couple great songs? That's cool. They're a better band than they were 15 years ago, but not as raw. They peaked 'commercially' for how big they could be, but oh well. I think Brian of Gaslight pointed out with disappointment that on the Billboard top 50, there was only 1 band that had drums, bass, guitars...and it happened to be them.  

I've said this before...
But it's SUPER strange to see a band like Brand New, though, draw a fucking humungous crowd at Boston Calling in 2014 and being co-headliner with Modest Mouse despite having not released anything in 5 years, their best album being released back in 2006 with 'the Devil and God...' and being such an eff you to what came before...only playing 2 songs off 'Deja Entendu' and NOT 'Quiet Things...' and not bothering to play anything off 'Your Favorite Weapon'...and fans still stick with them. Even though I thought 'Daisy' wasn't very good and I think the band admitted that.
But then again, Brand New is an east coast band, and I never felt like anybody was into Thrice but me where I grew up, but Brand New was pretty huge before they drifted off.

I think Brand New's live shows are just OK: they're super loud/heavy and a giant 'eff you' in a way; Dustin has ZERO charisma whatsoever, but Jesse has even less than him live...and just doesn't care. And Thrice is a much better live band with more accessible songs.

Meh, Brand New just did the evolution into their new sound better than Thrice imo.

I've only given the new Thrice album one listen so far, I liked it but it didn't stand out as amazing or anything to me.  Probably have to give it some time before I make any sort of real judgement.  

I don't know if they're actually better than they were 15 years ago - right around the release of the IoS - they definitely have better production, playing as a whole, drumming, etc... but they're not doing anything interesting or pushing even a single envelope.

Their music is very basic - as someone said above, all the songs blend together. A few of my friends commented, "they got back together after 5 years to release THIS?". I think they peaked creatively with Vheissu and had some brilliant moments during TAI (though they spread themselves too thin with that release and it showed).

Everything after that just sounds the same. All three albums sound like they were all tuned in the same chord progression, same vein... If they're trying to be a standard rock band, there is nothing wrong with it. And there are bands that want to be a rock band - they are now one of them. But I'd say they were pushing the envelope a lot more with their guitar work, melodies, and arrangements than they have been on the last three releases (drumming aside, which was simply awful back then and actually a lot better now).

Simply put, Eddie and Riley got better, Teppei and Dustin got worse. Contrary to Cassidy's opinions, there really is no right or wrong on a topic like this. Some people still love them, some of us wish we still did. That's really all there is to it.

edit: A little strange that a big chunk of your post was about Brand New.. I guess there is a comparison there, but Brand New has stayed more musically viable, kept changing their sound, and kept pushing the envelope. And I absolutely loved Daisy - which was actually well received across the board by fans and critics - not sure where you are getting your info.

Edited by atila

In bold, I'll add parts in response...

I don't know if they're actually better than they were 15 years ago - right around the release of the IoS - they definitely have better production, playing as a whole, drumming,  that's what I was referring to: they sound better as a band...but not as raw. I think people like their bands to sound 'raw' but almost always they can never go back to THAT etc... but they're not doing anything interesting or pushing even a single envelope. I think they did a couple interesting things in the new album that they haven't done.

Their music is very basic - as someone said above, all the songs blend together. A few of my friends commented, "they got back together after 5 years to release THIS?". I think they peaked creatively with Vheissu and had some brilliant moments during TAI (though they spread themselves too thin with that release and it showed). I'd agree with TAI, but that's probably my least favorite thing they've done. No real replay value for me. More of an experiment that didn't really come together.

Everything after that just sounds the same. All three albums sound like they were all tuned in the same chord progression, same vein... I can see that as a valid criticism that their last 3 albums blend together a bit If they're trying to be a standard rock band, there is nothing wrong with it. And there are bands that want to be a rock band - they are now one of them. But I'd say they were pushing the envelope a lot more with their guitar work, melodies, and arrangements than they have been on the last three releases (drumming aside, which was simply awful back then and actually a lot better now).

Simply put, Eddie and Riley got better, Teppei and Dustin got worse. I think the big thing is how much people liked Dustin/Teppei's guitar work. I definitely liked Dustin's lyrics FAR more in the early 2000s: he's become more 'simple', purposely so. Contrary to Cassidy's opinions, there really is no right or wrong on a topic like this. Some people still love them, some of us wish we still did. That's really all there is to it. I get that, but of course most casual people aren't going to like a band that's been around for 15+ years the same way they did when they were a teen, half their age ago.

edit: A little strange that a big chunk of your post was about Brand New.. I guess there is a comparison there I don't get how people are so fond of Brand New, but it's not there for Thrice, is my point. They both started around the same time, but it feels like Thrice should be bigger in some pockets, but Brand New has stayed more musically viable, kept changing their sound they only changed their sound really once in 'the Devil and God...' really: I think Thrice has done it better, shown off their versatility far more, and are far more accessible than Brand New; and I think 'the Devil and God...' is their masterpiece and one of my favorite albums. It's weird/baffling to see: I think Thrice would impress a LOT more casual people live, and kept pushing the envelope. And I absolutely loved Daisy - which was actually well received across the board by fans and critics - not sure where you are getting your info. 'Daisy' was a step backwards from 'the Devil and God...' Couple songs I dig, but it is super boring to see played live. I think it's the weakest of their work for replay value. 

My point is this: everybody's got their own subjective shit on every Best Of list...and I find a lot it to be bland/boring and I'd still rather listen to Thrice than most those bands. And that they'd put on a better live show too....the band has stayed together, it's not like members have left multiple times like with Glassjaw, Saves the Day and any other band that they were grouped with when they started. It's something more to like about them hen they're 9 fucking albums in and you see how hard it is for bands to truly stick around. And it's not like they're sticking around to do tours of certain albums they released 10-15 years ago like a LOT of bands probably.

Off their new album, I'd genuinely look forward to seeing a couple songs played live: 'Hurricane'; 'Salt and Shadow'; 'Long Defeat'; 'Black Honey'. That's cool with me.

also defending a band 15 years later for still sounding great/enjoyable to me on a dying message board where I'm one of the only people left posting on a daily basis for reasons beyond me makes me sound like this...

...but fuck it.
Yeah, I'm not as excited for it as I was for 'Illusion of Safety', 'TAITA' ,and 'Vheissu'...but, again, I'm not going to be into music the same way I was when I was 14-18. I'm still cool with Thrice, they will go through the centuries, etc, etc, etc.

(also my buddy is a huge wrestling fan and met this guy and talked to him...and he doesn't care about it: he made a lot of $ off that youtube video, I guess)

After 10 listens of TBEITBN I really enjoy it.  Hey it even has me posting here!  Much better album than Beggars and M/M which were fairly boring albums to me.

Well that was fun. So who else has a boner now via 2002

6/3/16 Shrine Expo Hall

Hurricane

Silhouette 
Of Dust And Nations
All The World Is Mad
Black Honey
Backdraft
The Long Defeat
Wood And Wire
The Sky Is Falling
Treading Paper
Dadaelus
Cold Cash Colder Hearts
Hold Fast Hope
Blood On The Sand
Death From Above
Anthology
For Miles

Encore:

Artist In The Ambulance
In Years To Come
The Earth Will Shake

Well, aside from Silhouette (why do people like this song?), Treading Paper* (booooo to this corny-ass song and the album it came from) and Daedalus* (booo to this melodramatic, cringe-inducing song. "Oh gods, why is this happening to me..." get the fuck out of here Dustin), the show was GREAT.  

- The new songs sounded really good.  I wish they played Hurricane twice.  Wish they played more songs of the new album in general.

- Wood and Wire was beautiful.  The Vheissu and Artist songs were on point.  

- **In Years To Come** (I was hoping for A Living Dance, but this was a welcomed surprise).  

- I keep hoping they'll play the version of Cold Cash they played in Japan (with the extended outro) again.  Don't think they ever will.

- Anthology was good (stop ruining this song for me DK gosh), but I wish they subbed it out for something from another album.

- Two fights broke out behind me, and I was right by the idiot chorus screaming for Deadbolt during and in between every fucking song, so I was so, SO satisfied that they didn't play Deadbolt.   Womp.

- It looked like they were possibly open to a second encore because the stage lights were still on, but people started leaving, so.

As for overall rankings:

Vheissu > Beggars > Alchemy Index = To Be Everywhere > Illusion = Artist > Identity Crisis >>>>>>>> Major/Minor

I don't know anyone who listens to or likes Thrice (atila you don't count), so I get my Thrice talk out of my system here.

* These actually sounded great live, I just don't like them.  

Edited by Jainn

This show was the softest thrice show I've been to. The whole middle section was mellllllow and then a burst of energy at the end. Must be age catching up with them. 

Didnt think the new stuff sounded all that great live, maybe they just need more time to get comfortable with them. Hurricane was excellent though and such a good opener. The others just stuck out in the set and I don't know how to describe why they didn't really work for me...

wood and wire is a favorite of mine and they said it was the first time playing it love. Great surprise.