suprefan

Thrice

6,355 posts in this topic

Thanks for the videos Chris. I'm getting excited for Wednesday.

I'm heading out to a festival in my monsoon stricken city, but I felt like saying I can appreciate the merit in all of Thrice's work. Each album has it's good and bad parts, just like any other album, but by no means have they regressed at all. Also, the reason they play silhouette live still is because it jams, plain and simple.

I feel like the people who hold on to artist and illusion are like the people watching old ATDI videos on youtube and then being pissed when Omar isn't going absolutely bananas and shredding while standing on his afro during their sets now. That shit is old. Appreciate it for what it was, and move on.

But then again, I'm the same way with a band like killswitch. Everything after as daylight dies blows.

Edited by h-man
typo

LLast ones. Im not going to San Diego tonight, or else Im sure theres gonna be a couple of different ones. Also, did nobody notice there was no deadbolt played? I think everyone seemed ok with that.   Also, the tour vinyl is cool, if you wanna get the diff color and such. But they didnt enforece a limit on it, which sucks, because I saw some jackasses with 3 copies. Theres a few on ebay already, so you know itll just keep going that way. I dont know how many copies they were selling at each stop though, since we dont know how many they pressed of this variant. Oh, and all the merch was affordable. Every shirt was $20 except for the girls tank which was $25, and a hoodie for $40. They had plenty of everything, so youll be able to ge your sire. The merch line got to 50 deep about 30 mins after doors opened, it was insane. They had 4 peopel working the Thrice table alone though, and they were quick..

https://youtu.be/N4xTRFKdND0 

https://youtu.be/Cv-AaRTkrlQ

Edited by suprefan

Thanks supre.

What time did Thrice take the stage? The party I am going with has no interest in the opening acts, so we are trying to plan what time we will show up tonight in SD.

Thanks supre.

What time did Thrice take the stage? The party I am going with has no interest in the opening acts, so we are trying to plan what time we will show up tonight in SD.

I think they took the stage just before or right at 10? I think right around 9:55.

I honest to God did not know the Boreds still existed until Morgan told me so last night, so hola again people! Hope everyone's been doing well and kept themselves out of prison or from catching a crippling drug addiction.

New Thrice album is good, nothing mindblowing though. Gets an 8/10 for me and I like it more than Major/Minor. Yes, "Hurricane" and "Salt and Shadow" are the best. I will argue that "Whistleblower" is 3rd best. "Black Honey" and "Death from Above" have grown on me, but man I am not digging the new political Dustin. Maybe its because I work in BIG GOVERNMENT now, but he writes like a college freshman still. "Paper Tigers" is more nuanced than "Death from Above", don't know what that says about the band's progression 13 years later (also holy shit, Riley is 40 now!). I still miss the old riffage from the Thrice, or the maximalism/electronic side we started to see in Vheissu, but I'm happy they are still writing solid anthems. 

Went to the show at the Shrine last night. I was stoked that Thrice could pull that large of a crowd still. That said, I think it was made up of people thinking it was another reunion/throwback show ala Taking Back Sunday and the Used, with the band only playing their early hits. Whatevs, I'm always entertained by the fan diversity at these shows. I will apologize for my dumb drunk friend who was the stereotypical "Play Deadbolt/TAITA!!!" yelling guy. I still do think he has a valid point though, because those songs really are leaps and bounds better than their newer stuff.

The set list was really hit or miss. I expected this after seeing them last year. They start off really strong, but then the middle DRAAAAGS with their slower stuff, and then they kill it with their final flurry of intense, heavy tracks. "Hurricane" was easily the best of the new songs. The others did blend together, and though I like "The Long Defeat", I think I might like it less now because it was pretty boring live. Should have gone with "Whistleblower" dammit! I will also agree with some of you who ask why they still play "Silhouette" and "Daedelus"... they are repetitive and take up space that could be better used for songs like "Atlantic" or something from the Water album (which they played none of dammit). I just read that they played "Backdraft" and I didn't even realize it, but that song sucks and any other track off of Fire would have been better.

On the plus side, I was super stoked that they played "For Miles" and "Of Dust and Nations" (I feel like you only get one or the other at shows in the last 5 years). The biggest surprise was "In Years To Come" which is a fucking awesome track, and the one song I think inspired every shitty Screamo act that existed during the 2000s (just read the lyrics, I like em but man they can easily be considered pretty over the top and corny). No "Stare at the Sun" was whatever, but I do love me some "Deadbolt" no matter if I've heard it at 12 different shows, so I was a bit bummed that they didn't play it. Pretty funny to hear all the comments from random frustrated fans about that though.

Overall, it was a solid show, but it's going to rank in the middle of the pack of the many Thrice shows I've seen over the years (the TAITA release show at the Glass House in Pomona will always be on top, with the "Final" show at the Observatory my 2nd fav). I know alot of casual fans were left frustrated that they didn't play alot of their hits, but I saw that coming a mile away. Their catalog is just too large and diverse now to satisfy everyone, so you just gotta be happy that they played 5 of 6 of "YOUR" songs at the very least (for me that was "Hurricane", "Cold Cash", "The Earth Will Shake", "For Miles", "The Sky is Falling" (which actually isn't that good now) and "In Years to Come").

Really good show tonight in SD. I've seen them many times, and I thought this one is up there with some of the better ones I've attended.

That said, lighting was lame; half the time Teppei was obscured. Crowd was dumb insofar as a bunch of dudes were moshing hard during songs that totally don't warrant it. Lol at people moshing and hardcore dancing to The Long Defeat.

Riley killed it. Great job, Manwhich!

Sorry I missed your post Willy. Obvi you got there in good time.  The Shrine usually starts later overall for bands compared to HOB where their curfew is pretty early in comparison.

So, how ridiculous is the Reddit AMA going to be in 30 mins?  

Edited by suprefan

Man, Dustin sounds like he's seriously struggling live. The fuck happened in the last few years?

From the videos, none of them seem very into it.  Starting to think this whole reunion was based on someone running out of money.

I think the last time they played "In Years To Come" was the last-minute Cat's Cradle show from the NC venue issues during Civic Tour 2004.  Dashboard took the day off and Thrice was so stoked to play in a small, sweaty venue again.  They played almost every single song from IOS & TAITA.  That would've been 6/22/2004, IIRC.

haha 'In Years to Come' was the song they brought back? 
yeah, listening to that song for the first time in years and it's embarrassing, in ways, to listen to: not very good; Dustin's vocals are exponentially better with each record. Lyrics? More simple, purposely so; not as into them as I was in the early-mid 2000s.

I was going to point out bands like Taking Back Sunday/the Used as acts doing shows that just re-play certain albums rather than anything they've done in 10 years, really.
I think Brand New played all of 'Your Favorite Weapon' years back one last time.
The funny thing about the farewell Thrice tour was all the black security guys huddled together were bored the whole show...but, at the end, when Thrice rolled out 'To Awake and Avenge the Dead', 'Phoenix Ignition', and 'T&C', they went apeshit as non-fans for it and started mimicking guitar solos and shit watching it and thought it was real bad ass/fun. I think the only black Thrice fan we know is Shane and it's just mostly a fucking sea of white people like me unfortunately.

It's only one show, but yeah, I could see people being bothered by the lighting...I REALLY loved the lighting they did during their Circa Survive show in 2008.
I think that was before they got robbed of all their gear and shit, so that's awful. Not sure if that has had any effect on how much their live shows could be maximized even right now, but I would guess yes in ways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guessing tours they might do later this year or so since they released records or are going to...
-Brand New (just announced they were ending in 2018, so I'd definitely guess they do one last tour together. Would be cool if Thrice was on the farewell tour bill for/with them. Very logical touring partner)
-Deftones (they've played the most shows with them)

Would love to see...
-Gaslight Anthem (whenever they get back together...2 favorite bands, even if their styles don't fit...and Gaslight tours with really obscure acts)
-Manchester Orchestra (bummer that this tour got canceled due to events out of anybody's control...but would be cool if they were able to tour with them)
-Every Time I Die/Baroness/Mastodon (any of these...I know ETID is a band they never toured with somehow; maybe they can do so with Less Art?...also if ETID was paired with Gaslight? Brian did a song with them in 'Old Light' so he could come out for that. That's me being selfish)
-Jimmy Eat World/Weezer (Riley teched for them; I can't see Weezer, but Jimmy Eat World? Hell yes)
-Hot Water Music (one of their first tours was with this guy)

Under the radar...
-Hotelier
-Thursday (if they do a reunion, I could see it. Not much a fan of Geoff's vocals, but they put on a good live show)

Can't see it, but would be cool...
-Wonder Years
-Blink-182 (don't know if they fit, but they got Matt Skiba now so there's familiarity with touring with Alkaline Trio a ton)
-Russian Circles/Explosions in the Sky/Caspian

Meh, but likely...
-O'Brother (tried getting into them, couldn't. Their last 2 tours before they ended in 2012 had acts I didn't care much for to see)

Mainly, I'd like to see them at Boston Calling paired w/ Brand New, Gaslight, Jimmy Eat World. Think it would bring about a nice crowd. Maybe pair that with Wonder Years too for something more 'modern' earlier in the day. I'd love to see Thrice play 2nd-to-last at night outside in downtown Boston. I'd like to see Thrice play festivals like Treasure Island in SF as an excuse to go out there for that. Said it before, but those weekend festivals seem like nice gigs to have, draw nice crowds, and introduce them to crowds that might not be familiar with them too much but could/should impress.

Hmmm... Judging by the length of that Martypost, it must be sometime between the NFL Draft and the beginning of August.

Edited by DK.

Hmmm... Judging by the length of that Martypost, it must be sometime between the NFL Draft and the beginning of August.

yeah, life is real boring right now other than 'Game of Thrones' on Sundays. Only going to get worse when NBA/NHL Finals are over.

OTA's post!

I skimmed through the Reddit AMA, not as horrible as I thought, some decent nuggets of info. 

Riley played guitar on all of Seneca. 

Whistleblower will be performed on ''future tours''.

The entire band is in agreement that Tacos > Pizza

There was one b side recorded and they are discussing how it will be released.

And yeah, In Years to come hasnt been played since 2004. DK, they probably played it at the Chain show that everyone got to go to from the SSE cancer walk. If that video footage still existed, we could be able to confirm, but for sure that year.

Adam,

:D welcome back! 

What did you mean about "Wake Up"? I don't get it, and I'm curious what you think about the song. The lyrics to Thrice songs are always much more important a part of the songs to me than those of other artists. 

Just that the chorus "we gotta wake up" is like what every high school punk band writes about when they're trying to tell their friends that they need to stop being robots and falling in line with the system to "wake up" and think for yourself. Even though the actual lyrics sound like some Anne Frank shit.

Probably the stretch of the year here but for the sake of discussion:

death from above uses the idea of drone pilots killing innocents as an analogy for dustins time at mar hill?

He addressed this in the Reddit AMA - that's not what he was attempting, it was meant to be quite literal. He could see how we could interpret that, but wanted to leave that in the past.

they've gone in a very "basic rock band" direction. Sure, I love some songs, and sure it's still Thrice, but they aren't doing anything too unique musically.

Everything after that just sounds the same. All three albums sound like they were all tuned in the same chord progression, same vein... If they're trying to be a standard rock band, there is nothing wrong with it. And there are bands that want to be a rock band - they are now one of them. But I'd say they were pushing the envelope a lot more with their guitar work, melodies, and arrangements than they have been on the last three releases (drumming aside, which was simply awful back then and actually a lot better now).

Simply put, Eddie and Riley got better, Teppei and Dustin got worse. Contrary to Cassidy's opinions, there really is no right or wrong on a topic like this. Some people still love them, some of us wish we still did. That's really all there is to it.

As much as I love this album, I totally agree. Somehow after Alchemy Index, they reverted to very blues-influenced, generic rock. I don't even listen to rock anymore or play it - I'm all electronic music now. And yet...I think sometimes, in spite of all of this, some people are just fanboys. I'm a fanboy. Even if on paper it's not a good album, a lot of the songs move me, and I can't really explain why other than my album reviews. Perhaps in artificially inflates my rating of the new album. Perhaps it does for a few people on here - but then again, this is the reincarnation of the thrice.net forum, so we're not exactly the most unbiased source of album review :)

Man, Dustin sounds like he's seriously struggling live. The fuck happened in the last few years?

I can only speak anecdotally from singing in a band in college, but some days you're just off. I know now that I'm 30 (yikes, I was 17 when I joined the thrice.net forum), my vocal chords don't have the same elasticity they once did, and even then, some days your voice doesn't cooperate. My guess is it just was a bad day for Dustin, I don't want to immediately assume his voice simply sucks now, otherwise the album would have sounded much worse.

-Jimmy Eat World/Weezer (Riley teched for them; I can't see Weezer, but Jimmy Eat World? Hell yes)

Dustin actually said in the AMA that JEW was the most likely candidate because of Riley's connections teching for JEW, and apparently they wanted to tour together many times but their touring schedules were always in conflict and it could never work.

yeah, life is real boring right now other than 'Game of Thrones' on Sundays. Only going to get worse when NBA/NHL Finals are over.

I can't believe you live like 5 blocks from me now and we still haven't seen each other since I moved to southie 2 years ago. Come over and grill on my back porch, dammit.

OTA's post!

I skimmed through the Reddit AMA, not as horrible as I thought, some decent nuggets of info. 

Riley played guitar on all of Seneca. 

Whistleblower will be performed on ''future tours''.

The entire band is in agreement that Tacos > Pizza

There was one b side recorded and they are discussing how it will be released.

And yeah, In Years to come hasnt been played since 2004. DK, they probably played it at the Chain show that everyone got to go to from the SSE cancer walk. If that video footage still existed, we could be able to confirm, but for sure that year.

A huge thing you missed: there is a B-side and it's release date is still TBA.

Adam is too busy lifting right now to realize there was a b side recorded and theyre figuring out how to release it.

Wonder how long its going ot take for them to change the setlist up on this tour. If they really stick to these 20, I would be pretty bummed.

Cassidy, your entire argument is basically just opinion with no basis "i like thrice better than brand new and i don't get why everyone else doesn't agree with me" or "i think brand new has pushed the envelope less" - you make these statements but give nothing to back them up... I've almost never seen you even make a half assed attempt at being objective... but I actually don't even think you realize it - cause you do try sometimes, you'll be like, "ok I see your point but..." no but, just see the point, people have a point sometimes, and sometimes the differing view of theirs is actually probably closer to the truth. Just saying... anyways.

I was always a fan of Brand New but I've always LOVED thrice. I've seen Brand New live once. I've seen Thrice live probably like 50 times. But if I'm being objective I can very easily see why Brand New has more fans... and I can see their career arch as having more interesting twists and turns.

Thrice got boring. Really boring. And so their music has suffered. We're all big fans of those guys so to us, we like it still. I listen to the new album all the way through without issue... there are parts I love... almost every single song is at least decent to me. But like Adam said, it's almost like this comfortable place, security, like being in a relationship too long and you're only in it because you're comfortable. The new album is not bringing anything to the table. The choruses are unimaginative, the guitar arrangements are stale... the only things I like A LOT are the drumming and the social lyrics. I like the recording/mix as well, well as much as I can with that same basic guitar tuning/chording they've been doing for the past 3 albums. It's like they found something they liked with The Earth Will Shake and momentarily didn't use it for TAI then did the entire last three albums with their guitars that way (drop C? I don't know anything about guitars).