suprefan

Thrice

6,354 posts in this topic

music is subjective...but I would say Brand New's BIG turning point was 'Devil and God...': if you stuck with them through that, you're good, but that's a great and accessible album front-to-back. 'Daisy' was just surprising from its opening track in how harder they became. I wasn't really surprised by anything they've done until seeing their setlist at Boston Calling in 2014 and realizing that they WERE an entirely new band, barely played anything off their first 2 albums, and were actually aggressive/loud as fuck. 

Thrice even commented on Brand New even down to Riley talking about them in a podcast like 4 years ago: they do everything wrong: no interviews, press, haven't released a record in 5 years, don't do stage banter, really...and yet an absolutely fucking MASSIVE crowd was there for them at Boston Calling and other places when they were co-headlining. My comparison is more out of frustration AND strong belief that Thrice could be as popular or more popular now to be able to do that....also, Brand New has released only 4 albums to Thrice's 9.

Brand New's one of the best bands that came out of the last 15 years grouped with Thrice...and so were Thrice. They survived well.
I don't think either get the credit, but Thrice just got pigeonholed badly I think halfway through 'the Alchemy Index' they stopped getting reviewed in places like 'Rolling Stone', 'Pitchfork', to even now 'AV Club' and I'm left wondering, "What the fuck? Your job is to review music...and you just do away with reviewing THIS?' I don't know how frustrating that is to the band, especially when I'm seeing bands like the Hotelier and Modern Baseball get reviewed. It would be one thing to get a bad review, but to get none at all?...you just settle to be reviewed at Alternative Press and other obscure music publicatons? Are you kidding me? That seems worse.  oh, well.

All this talk of The Devil and God... made me realize that it got lost from my iTunes sometime in the last decade (yikes), anyone want to up it for me?

I'm excited to see how the new album translates live. It's very dynamic, impassioned and textural, and I feel like saying that the guitar arrangements are "stale and unimaginative" overlooks the amount of time they put into the textures and the tone. As for the tuning of the guitars, they are all over the place, but additionally they play baritone guitars. That's the "Drop C" analogy happening, however lower. 

I'm also excited about my group Ghostly Times recording our first release --> check out our YouTube teaser. (only reason I'm putting in the Thrice thread is because I'm "obviously" influence by them and think it's somewhat similar)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veTeLwU-tgg&feature=em-upload_owner

Edit: Sorry for the shameless plug -- low class -- just pumped about this band/project

Edited by cityescapeme
shameless self promotion amended!

Thrice got boring. Really boring. And so their music has suffered. We're all big fans of those guys so to us, we like it still. I listen to the new album all the way through without issue... there are parts I love... almost every single song is at least decent to me. But like Adam said, it's almost like this comfortable place, security, like being in a relationship too long and you're only in it because you're comfortable. The new album is not bringing anything to the table. The choruses are unimaginative, the guitar arrangements are stale... the only things I like A LOT are the drumming and the social lyrics. I like the recording/mix as well, well as much as I can with that same basic guitar tuning/chording they've been doing for the past 3 albums. It's like they found something they liked with The Earth Will Shake and momentarily didn't use it for TAI then did the entire last three albums with their guitars that way (drop C? I don't know anything about guitars).

you're dead on. i completely agree.

i was first disappointed by them when i heard TAI, which i think is half good, half shit. way too much of the same goddamn song structure. after that, been disappointed by beggars, and major/minor and now this. that's not to say i don't like all these albums, i really do. i love so many of their newer songs. but they're just on such a lower tier compared to IOS-Vheissu-era. they've definitely gotten too comfortable and i feel they haven't challenged themselves creatively enough.

music is subjective...but I would say Brand New's BIG turning point was 'Devil and God...': if you stuck with them through that, you're good, but that's a great and accessible album front-to-back. 'Daisy' was just surprising from its opening track in how harder they became. I wasn't really surprised by anything they've done until seeing their setlist at Boston Calling in 2014 and realizing that they WERE an entirely new band, barely played anything off their first 2 albums, and were actually aggressive/loud as fuck. 

Thrice even commented on Brand New even down to Riley talking about them in a podcast like 4 years ago: they do everything wrong: no interviews, press, haven't released a record in 5 years, don't do stage banter, really...and yet an absolutely fucking MASSIVE crowd was there for them at Boston Calling and other places when they were co-headlining. My comparison is more out of frustration AND strong belief that Thrice could be as popular or more popular now to be able to do that....also, Brand New has released only 4 albums to Thrice's 9.

Brand New's one of the best bands that came out of the last 15 years grouped with Thrice...and so were Thrice. They survived well.
I don't think either get the credit, but Thrice just got pigeonholed badly I think halfway through 'the Alchemy Index' they stopped getting reviewed in places like 'Rolling Stone', 'Pitchfork', to even now 'AV Club' and I'm left wondering, "What the fuck? Your job is to review music...and you just do away with reviewing THIS?' I don't know how frustrating that is to the band, especially when I'm seeing bands like the Hotelier and Modern Baseball get reviewed. It would be one thing to get a bad review, but to get none at all?...you just settle to be reviewed at Alternative Press and other obscure music publicatons? Are you kidding me? That seems worse.  oh, well.

I think you worry too much about whether or not Thrice is being reviewed and what the implications are. They aren't playing basement shows (which would be rad) and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who knows of Brand New and not of Thrice. It is irritating to think that a lack of attention from snarky music publications is a sign that critics don't find Thrice to be all that consequential. However, for one, it's been quite some time since they've been associated with any sort of "revival" (Hotelier, Modern Beisbol) or "wave" (Pianos Become Teeth), which is an annoying trend altogether -- grouping bands together is the new "uber-specific genre-labeling" craze, but one that nonetheless garners attention for non-mainstream rock bands. I also think, having been a sometimes member of this community - moreso in the past -, that we're Thrice fans and sometimes don't realize that many people might find them boring or unremarkable. I'll never forget, having left the tiny enclave of Boreds and my friends who all adored Thrice, the first time I talked music with my now ex-girlfriend and she declared Thrice as "dull." I was flabbergasted. However, I was also in a feedback loop.

I love them. I've seen them more than any other band. I also treat them like I treat Star Wars or The Packers. Sometimes they're boring. Sometimes shit isn't breaking any ground. Sometimes they write a snoozer like Blood on the Sand. Whatevs. I still love Thrice. 

I'm not sure why Brand New is so massive in relation to Thrice. Is it a question of accessibility? Daisy is far less accessible than, say, Beggars or Major/Minor, at least because the sound is far less spastic, abrasive, and caustic. Maybe that's part of it. Also, BN's videos were all over MTV2 and Fuse (whatever it was called) back around Deja. They were right in the wheelhouse that fit that post-Blink 182 mold that filled the pop-punk void while also maintaining a unique sound. Brand New's hits may have featured more accessible themes/lyrics, too - anger at an ex, hesitance towards sex, a quintessentially angsty song about early twenties inner-turmoil. Thrice was writing about foreign conflicts/policy. Their "hits" were musically accessible (Artist in the Ambulance, Image of the Invisible, All That's Left), but perhaps more lyrically abstract and more difficult to wrap one's head around or too concerned with current events/geopolitical themes. 

It'd be an exercise in hyperbole and subjectivity to try and decide why Brand New is considered more "important" or even just better than Thrice. I think they are, actually. The reasons why I feel that way are debatable. 

Anyway, I'm digging the new album. Can't wait to see them this Thursday w. La Dispute. I really want to yell "I drop death from the sky" at the top of my lungs. 

I think my frustration is that I want the band to matter and not just playing to a dwindling amount of fans that wish they were more like 'Illusion of Safety' or 'The Artist in the Ambulance', and help them stay around longer. It's just a bummer. They have to be purposely ignored by publications for that shit to happen. And they are bigger than most the bands that do get covered. They just got pigeonholed in with other Warped Tour acts. I think for them to start playing at some festivals that pop up would be awesome for them. We'll see what happens with that.

I thought Thrice moved beyond being covered by basically JUST the Alternative Press and separated themselves above that a decade ago...but it didn't happen and they still are tied to just that. Felt like they got blackballed by Island Records from being covered really anywhere. I'm not saying that NOT being reviewed certain places matters...but come on. I'm not liking some really obscure band; almost all the bands I dig would be covered in some capacity.

Dustin alluded to it a bit in, I think, Matt Pinfield's podcast: they'll do 3-week tours, but bands are playing festivals more on the weekends. And that could be do-able/manageable. Also, I'm surprised Matt Pinfield is still alive. There's a dude I haven't thought of in awhile.

mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:677326?width=1024

the funnier thing is that Thrice was featured on 'Breaking' when 'the Artist in the Ambulance' came out and Sway interviewed them for a piece

sway-calloway.jpg

I doubt he was into them and the one thing he latched on to was that Dustin & Teppei were married so young haha...It would be funny to see Sway interview Thrice again. That shit ain't happening though.

I like 'Daisy' and I love the opening track; still, live the songs on that record in front of:
- a sold out crowd
-outside
-in the heart of downtown Boston (literally): right down street from the State House and Boston Common
-on a Saturday night slot going on at like 8 PM
-as co-headliner before Modest Mouse and AFTER Tegan & Sara?

bostoncallingcourtesy_WEB_copy.jpg?14439

^that pic is literally how big the crowd was for Brand New...and that isn't showing the whole crowd and the 2 stages.

2013-08-26-BC_CITYHALLPLAZA.jpg

^2 stages; other one you can't see.

....again, all that, and seeing most of 'Daisy' being played in that venue? Fucking insane and head-scratching.  
I just think Thrice is more accessible in ways, better live. Dustin's lyrics don't lend themselves to angst-y songs, but nor does Brand New's last 2 albums much too, really. I think the only 'rock' band that could do political, really, is Rage Against the Machine haha. Some people are even losing their shits over Rage sans Zach De La Rocha teaming up with Public Enemy/Cypress Hill.

I'm not trying to compare the bands...but the 'reach' is there. I wish more people could see Thrice. They would be pleasantly surprised and hopefully they got a good timeslot. And Thrice could definitely do that or something close. I love the idea of them playing festivals on weekends as opposed to just touring for weeks on end. They have, like, 100+ songs now...and they could come up with an amazing set list that could cater well to these alternative crowds.

Edited by Cassidy

No dude, they wouldn't be surprised. Their last three albums have all sounded exactly the same and no one outside of this message board likes it. ACCEPT THAT. You'll live in a more peaceful place.

I saw on Billboard that TBEITBN moved 21,000 units on the first week.  Does anyone know how many units TAITA or Vheissu moved?

Edit: Vheissu moved 46,000 and TAITA was 47,000... Yikes TBEITBN is way down from that.

Edited by thewwwizzard

Interesting that they still garnered their highest chart placement, I believe. A testament to declining album sales, etc....

Exactly.  Music is consumed very differently in 2016 than it was in 2003 & 2005.  We all had those CD binders and and CD holders strapped to our car's sun visors.  Is it in album sale if I download the entire album onto my device from my paid Play account?  I don't actually "own" the files that way.  

Island was also pushing TAITA... and Vheissu to an extent.  

Interesting that they still garnered their highest chart placement, I believe. A testament to declining album sales, etc....

-The real question is, how many of those units were vinyl. And enough to get them to be # 1 in that category. The special pressing theyre selling at shows does count. There doesnt seem to be a set number of those either, because I havent heard anyone really get denied a copy at the shows.

No dude, they wouldn't be surprised. Their last three albums have all sounded exactly the same and no one outside of this message board likes it. ACCEPT THAT. You'll live in a more peaceful place.

You missed my point...they've been written off and shut off by an audience that is out there for them. They are too old/good to be grouped in with the Warped Tour/Alternative Press crowd. They're just stuck. You can argue about the quality, but that's your opinion. There are far lesser bands playing at these festivals in decent time slots.

I thought TAITA was their highest debut...I thought it debuted in the top 10, maybe #14 or some shit.

You missed my point...they've been written off and shut off by an audience that is out there for them. They are too old/good to be grouped in with the Warped Tour/Alternative Press crowd. They're just stuck. You can argue about the quality, but that's your opinion. There are far lesser bands playing at these festivals in decent time slots.

I thought TAITA was their highest debut...I thought it debuted in the top 10, maybe #14 or some shit.

Thrice wouldnt get a primetime slot at anything major or even mid size like boston calling. Only things that have a niche for them would do it. Even if they played Coachella next year, which now would not shock me cause they finally have a record out, they either would play the main stage in the middle of the afternoon, or get put in a tent at like 6pm, ala brand new last year. Besides, I dont think their management would fight for higher billing and such, they would be cool with getting the offer and the money at this point. 

^yeah, I know the singer from the National runs Boston Calling and puts together the acts, really. It's more and more alternative each year.

These are lineups they've had...
http://bostoncalling.com/pastlinups.html

Obviously my favorite was Gaslight Anthem playing BEFORE Vampire Weekend and AFTER Local Natives...on a Saturday night. 
6 PM is still a REALLY great timeslot: it's VERY cool to get that slot when day becomes night midway through a performance.

I don't think Thrice has really had aggressive management since Nick was their manager. Nick kind of put himself out there as a manager and unofficial member of the band. I don't think anybody could say who their manager is now. 
They've been relaxed with touring since Dustin had kids 10 years ago, understandably so. But weekend festivals afford them more opportunities. And I think 'settling' to be an opener for a band like Jimmy Eat World would be good too. Do 1-2 tours as a headliner, 1 as an opener on the 3-week tour runs. It's do-able more than ever.

As far as being 'niche', most these festivals are that at this point. I don't think it has to be 'Taste of Chaos' and it shouldn't be. And each band plays for about an hour, which is fine with me if that's all they do. It's cool to see your favorite band play before or after acts you never thought they'd play with rather than, say, some Taste of Chaos act that's been fluttering around for 15 years (right now I think it's Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard, and Saosin: not exciting to me, more sad than anything). I'd like to see Thrice do something new, and festivals afford that to them. I'd like to see them be able to get that.

Also Thrice played Coachella, I think, once...probably really weird and not a great fit. I don't think of Coachella as the festival I had in mind, but it would be cool if they did. They'd get a far less favorable time slot than festivals that I'm thinking of that are happening in each city.

Edited by Cassidy

I'm still just surprised that everyone has Identity Crisis as their least favourite Thrice record. You guys heard some of that other shit, right? At least they were fun on IC. Don't get me wrong, some if it is just but for what it is at their ages and when it came out, it's light years ahead of what that same group did a dozen years later, to me anyway

I'm still just surprised that everyone has Identity Crisis as their least favourite Thrice record. You guys heard some of that other shit, right? At least they were fun on IC. Don't get me wrong, some if it is just but for what it is at their ages and when it came out, it's light years ahead of what that same group did a dozen years later, to me anyway

I would totally expect/guess that to be your favorite record.
I remember having 'Identity Crisis' as one of my favorite records...and then putting it on about 7 years ago or so and just being bothered by it. t was too poorly recorded, the drums, especially, were clicking. Obviously them being more 'raw' makes them more fun. And live? A song like 'T&C' is undeniably as fun as they get, really. Although their Beatles cover of 'Helter Skelter' is awesome.

Also, if you want to shit on Dustin's political lyrics in 'Wake Up' or whatever for being high school-ish, well, you can always look towards some songs on 'Identity Crisis' too. 

-----------------------
I've been disappointed with their openers (they toured with O'Brother back-to-back on their farewell tour). But they're touring with friends. I was hoping they'd be support for someone else like I mentioned because their openers haven't been on their level since the failed Manchester Orchestra tour, in my opinion.

HOB-ish except the LA show held in an indoor soccer stadium.

Identity Crisis through Artist is basically an entirely different band.   I liked and listened to them the most during the early years (especially IC and IOS), but it's not a style of music I care about or listen to anymore, so their post-Artist stuff wins out for that reason alone.  

I don't listen to much rock anymore in general, Thrice is one of the few. 

I agree with Cassidy that they got pigeonholed and became a band that wasn't cool to like, so they were never taken seriously or treated fairly.  I think the band has too much baggage to become big, even though I think the music is mostly solid.  There's no reason a song like Hurricane shouldn't become big.  It's a legitimately great song.

How big are the venues they have been playing this tour?

They played The Fillmore in Maryland (DC area), which holds around 2,000 people. Pretty solid venue and crowd size, though I would have preferred they actually play in DC.

I thought Gates was a solid opener, but outside of me thinking the singer of La Dispute was cute, I didn't enjoy them much. Their instrumentals are pretty cool, but I can't get over the whole screamed/spoken word thing. Thrice, as per usual, put on a tremendous show. I honestly thought they did a great job with the mixture of songs in the set list. Some of my highlights were Wood and Wire (the live arrangement was randomly awesome) and For Miles.

It's funny reading these past few pages, as I've been thinking a lot lately about Thrice's popularity and critical acclaim. I don't think the new album is the best thing they've ever done, but I think it's a solid rock record. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed Beggars and Major/Minor. With the resurgence of a lot of garage rock/punk type bands (Modern Baseball, PUP, Car Seat Headrest, Hoteliers, etc.), I figured they could at least get a review on a prominent site. No dice. However, I think most of you have hit the nail on the head in terms of how they're viewed among the community... just take a look at their 'related artists' on Spotify;

+7ZyCsAADxzIK8AABAWkFcAAAgLyCsAAIQF5BUAA

This has to be some type of joke. Emery? Armor For Sleep? Funeral For A Friend? Even in their earlier days, they never sounded like any of them, and they are miles above most of those artists talent-wise.

However, as Spotify's 'related artists' are calculated through an algorithm of their listeners, I think this points to a much larger problem: their fans. Like most of you here, I do not listen to music like that anymore, sans Thrice (who never really fit and still doesn't). Just taking a look around their concert, though, (and I hate to stereotype..but..), most of their fans seem to still be into that scene. There were a lot people who were under 21 at the show, which surprised me, and overall... I thought the crowd kind of sucked.

People were still moshing during every song, and even during the slower jams (why would you mosh during Of Dust and Nations...?). I got there early to stand up close and avoid the pit, but I honestly couldn't avoid it anywhere I went. I was constantly getting shoved, almost falling over, and I even had a few kicks to the head from crowd surfers. I'll take the balcony next time they roll through town. People here were mentioning them playing festivals, but looking around that room, I could not picture that crowd at a big music festival (Coachella, Bonnaroo, Firefly, Governor's Ball...etc.). I know there are some heavier bands at these festivals at times, but I doubt the crowds behave in that manner.

Overall, Thrice will always hold a special place in my heart. They're the band that got me heavily into music, and without them, I'm not sure I'd listen to all the shit I do today. Given their history, and their current fan base, I just don't see them getting any further than they are now. I'm simply glad they're still touring and making music.

I'm interested in checking out Gates more than La Dispute: I couldn't get into the talking/singing thing either when I saw them on the Farewell tour...but I don't think I gave them a fair chance, either, with listening to their music beforehand.

And yeah, that's real disappointing with the 'Sounds like...' thing. It's just being pigeonholed and I can't imagine how frustrating that is for the band, on some level. Anybody who has been pigeonholed, be it at a job with a particular role or whatever, has to know that it sucks. You can't fight it, even if you've proved yourself to be more and been tireless with it. 
I think it's just lazy thinking where people's frame of reference sticks them in with certain bands where they just don't bother to take certain music seriously.

I think Adam will probably be in the mosh...I came in for, like, 3 songs just to be with him in all his Ivy-League, pre-DJ glory, but I nearly got my leg broken...it was kind of worth it just to randomly see Giusepe crowd-surf, look constipated, and me to yell at Adam, "IT'S GIUSEPE!" like in MIGHTY DUCKS 

....and laughed my ass off while he tried crowd-surfing all the way to the front and me yelling something about not showing his dick or some shit.
So yeah, I'm 29 and too fucking old to be in a mosh. I never did anything anyway in a mosh to begin with besides fend for my life anyway.

I'll probably just be off to the side drinking by myself.

I am such a loner/TV addict that I kind of don't want to see Thrice on Sunday.
You got...
-Game fucking 7 of NBA Finals...LeBron-Curry.
-Game of Thrones' 'Battle of the Bastards'
-Veep, Silicon Valley, John Oliver, Preacher (Veep is probably my favorite comedy in years)

But mainly, the first 2 (Game 7 AND 'Battle of the Bastards')...I might call off work on Monday just so I can catch up.
I kind of knew there was a good chance that probably THE best episode of 'Game of Thrones' this season might come duirng that Sunday night show...but I didn't expect a major Game 7 game too either. Goddamnit. Sunday nights are SO goddamn loaded as a major TV night.

But still, Thrice played House of Blues on June 17th 2010, I think, and it was Game 7 of Celtics-Lakers...I almost didn't go until House of Blues announced they would be playing the game on their shitty ass small screens WHILE the bands played (the video screens showing the bands play are so shitty/useless anyway)...but then they fucked everybody over because, when Thrice finished, there was 6 minutes left in the game, they forced everybody out, the venue is directly across from Fenway Park/behind Right Field, so police naturally feared rioting so they were blocking the crowd from going out to where bars/restaurants were, so we had to go down back streets followed by police horses and shit to find a fucking White Hen Pantry/7-11 store where we watched the final 2 minutes where Artest made a 3P to seal it. I was real disappointed with how House of Blues handled that bullshit when there was, you know, 6 fucking minutes left in the game.

Edited by Cassidy

Vito, you just preached. I'd plus rep you, but we're adults now.

It always depresses me when I see Thrice linked with some of the artists in the above screenshot. Even with the "better" shitty groups like Manchester Orchestra, Circa, etc. Brand New's okay, I guess.

I'd rank this album in the middle of their discography. I really enjoy it.

A couple years ago, I would've told you IC is my favorite Thrice album, but I'd probably go with Vheissu. I don't picture myself listening to IOS from start to finish anymore though. I definitely like their current sound a lot better. To the person that said Teppei and Dustin were better musically back then... no. I'll take the subtleties of their more recent albums over Teppei's corny riffage back in the day. Although, admittedly, I was a sucker for that in like 8th grade.

I just bought tickets to the show at The Observatory. Can't wait.

Edited by McGomer