Thrice

6,350 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

How big are the venues they have been playing this tour?

Posted · Report post

HOB-ish except the LA show held in an indoor soccer stadium.

Posted · Report post

Identity Crisis through Artist is basically an entirely different band.   I liked and listened to them the most during the early years (especially IC and IOS), but it's not a style of music I care about or listen to anymore, so their post-Artist stuff wins out for that reason alone.  

I don't listen to much rock anymore in general, Thrice is one of the few. 

I agree with Cassidy that they got pigeonholed and became a band that wasn't cool to like, so they were never taken seriously or treated fairly.  I think the band has too much baggage to become big, even though I think the music is mostly solid.  There's no reason a song like Hurricane shouldn't become big.  It's a legitimately great song.

Posted · Report post

How big are the venues they have been playing this tour?

They played The Fillmore in Maryland (DC area), which holds around 2,000 people. Pretty solid venue and crowd size, though I would have preferred they actually play in DC.

I thought Gates was a solid opener, but outside of me thinking the singer of La Dispute was cute, I didn't enjoy them much. Their instrumentals are pretty cool, but I can't get over the whole screamed/spoken word thing. Thrice, as per usual, put on a tremendous show. I honestly thought they did a great job with the mixture of songs in the set list. Some of my highlights were Wood and Wire (the live arrangement was randomly awesome) and For Miles.

It's funny reading these past few pages, as I've been thinking a lot lately about Thrice's popularity and critical acclaim. I don't think the new album is the best thing they've ever done, but I think it's a solid rock record. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed Beggars and Major/Minor. With the resurgence of a lot of garage rock/punk type bands (Modern Baseball, PUP, Car Seat Headrest, Hoteliers, etc.), I figured they could at least get a review on a prominent site. No dice. However, I think most of you have hit the nail on the head in terms of how they're viewed among the community... just take a look at their 'related artists' on Spotify;

+7ZyCsAADxzIK8AABAWkFcAAAgLyCsAAIQF5BUAA

This has to be some type of joke. Emery? Armor For Sleep? Funeral For A Friend? Even in their earlier days, they never sounded like any of them, and they are miles above most of those artists talent-wise.

However, as Spotify's 'related artists' are calculated through an algorithm of their listeners, I think this points to a much larger problem: their fans. Like most of you here, I do not listen to music like that anymore, sans Thrice (who never really fit and still doesn't). Just taking a look around their concert, though, (and I hate to stereotype..but..), most of their fans seem to still be into that scene. There were a lot people who were under 21 at the show, which surprised me, and overall... I thought the crowd kind of sucked.

People were still moshing during every song, and even during the slower jams (why would you mosh during Of Dust and Nations...?). I got there early to stand up close and avoid the pit, but I honestly couldn't avoid it anywhere I went. I was constantly getting shoved, almost falling over, and I even had a few kicks to the head from crowd surfers. I'll take the balcony next time they roll through town. People here were mentioning them playing festivals, but looking around that room, I could not picture that crowd at a big music festival (Coachella, Bonnaroo, Firefly, Governor's Ball...etc.). I know there are some heavier bands at these festivals at times, but I doubt the crowds behave in that manner.

Overall, Thrice will always hold a special place in my heart. They're the band that got me heavily into music, and without them, I'm not sure I'd listen to all the shit I do today. Given their history, and their current fan base, I just don't see them getting any further than they are now. I'm simply glad they're still touring and making music.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm interested in checking out Gates more than La Dispute: I couldn't get into the talking/singing thing either when I saw them on the Farewell tour...but I don't think I gave them a fair chance, either, with listening to their music beforehand.

And yeah, that's real disappointing with the 'Sounds like...' thing. It's just being pigeonholed and I can't imagine how frustrating that is for the band, on some level. Anybody who has been pigeonholed, be it at a job with a particular role or whatever, has to know that it sucks. You can't fight it, even if you've proved yourself to be more and been tireless with it. 
I think it's just lazy thinking where people's frame of reference sticks them in with certain bands where they just don't bother to take certain music seriously.

I think Adam will probably be in the mosh...I came in for, like, 3 songs just to be with him in all his Ivy-League, pre-DJ glory, but I nearly got my leg broken...it was kind of worth it just to randomly see Giusepe crowd-surf, look constipated, and me to yell at Adam, "IT'S GIUSEPE!" like in MIGHTY DUCKS 

....and laughed my ass off while he tried crowd-surfing all the way to the front and me yelling something about not showing his dick or some shit.
So yeah, I'm 29 and too fucking old to be in a mosh. I never did anything anyway in a mosh to begin with besides fend for my life anyway.

I'll probably just be off to the side drinking by myself.

I am such a loner/TV addict that I kind of don't want to see Thrice on Sunday.
You got...
-Game fucking 7 of NBA Finals...LeBron-Curry.
-Game of Thrones' 'Battle of the Bastards'
-Veep, Silicon Valley, John Oliver, Preacher (Veep is probably my favorite comedy in years)

But mainly, the first 2 (Game 7 AND 'Battle of the Bastards')...I might call off work on Monday just so I can catch up.
I kind of knew there was a good chance that probably THE best episode of 'Game of Thrones' this season might come duirng that Sunday night show...but I didn't expect a major Game 7 game too either. Goddamnit. Sunday nights are SO goddamn loaded as a major TV night.

But still, Thrice played House of Blues on June 17th 2010, I think, and it was Game 7 of Celtics-Lakers...I almost didn't go until House of Blues announced they would be playing the game on their shitty ass small screens WHILE the bands played (the video screens showing the bands play are so shitty/useless anyway)...but then they fucked everybody over because, when Thrice finished, there was 6 minutes left in the game, they forced everybody out, the venue is directly across from Fenway Park/behind Right Field, so police naturally feared rioting so they were blocking the crowd from going out to where bars/restaurants were, so we had to go down back streets followed by police horses and shit to find a fucking White Hen Pantry/7-11 store where we watched the final 2 minutes where Artest made a 3P to seal it. I was real disappointed with how House of Blues handled that bullshit when there was, you know, 6 fucking minutes left in the game.

Edited by Cassidy

Vito, you just preached. I'd plus rep you, but we're adults now.

It always depresses me when I see Thrice linked with some of the artists in the above screenshot. Even with the "better" shitty groups like Manchester Orchestra, Circa, etc. Brand New's okay, I guess.

I'd rank this album in the middle of their discography. I really enjoy it.

A couple years ago, I would've told you IC is my favorite Thrice album, but I'd probably go with Vheissu. I don't picture myself listening to IOS from start to finish anymore though. I definitely like their current sound a lot better. To the person that said Teppei and Dustin were better musically back then... no. I'll take the subtleties of their more recent albums over Teppei's corny riffage back in the day. Although, admittedly, I was a sucker for that in like 8th grade.

I just bought tickets to the show at The Observatory. Can't wait.

Edited by McGomer

Posted · Report post

Vito, did you kiss a boy yet?  

It always depresses me when I see Thrice linked with some of the artists in the above screenshot. Even with the "better" shitty groups like Manchester Orchestra, Circa, etc. Brand New's okay, I guess.

Circa Survive is "shitty"?  LOL.

HOB-ish except the LA show held in an indoor soccer stadium.

having flashbacks when they played  Bren Center in Irvine for the 2005 tour? The l.a show was over 6,000 people btw. Yet the october date at the novo ( club nokia ) isnt sold out yet. The audience is so weird sometimes. 

Vito is alive? 

And how the hell is circa shitty. I wish they had them as an opener in the fall. That was a fun tour in 08.

Marty being "too old for the mosh "

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x6RGIebnnzk

Edited by suprefan

Posted · Report post

The last time I saw them they played back-to-back nights at a 2,500 seat place (Marquee Theater, Tempe AZ).  I think it was late 2005 and they played with Underoath.  How the times have changed.

Posted · Report post

I'd be in the mosh if I could be in this...

37252flaminglips_rich_dscf5241.jpg

or a raft

steveaoki-raft.jpg

But yeah, every time I was in a mosh, I felt lucky to not break a leg, get knocked out unsuspectingly by a crowdsurfer, or some asshole hardcore dancing or massive shirtless white dude running like a stampeding bull full-speed at people and purposely aiming his elbows at people just standing there.

Fuuuuck that. I'm fine/cool with being boring as fuck.

Posted · Report post

Also LOL at Circa Survive being an opener for Thrice in 2016.

Posted · Report post

Moshing/crowd-surfing is the worst. We are all definitely too old to do either. Isn't Circa Survive much bigger than Thrice? 

Posted · Report post

Just came back from the Boston show - probably one of my least favorite Thrice shows of all time. And I hate to say that, especially cause I got my brother, Marty and quite a few of my friends to meet up together so I thought it would be an amazing reunion show.

Missed Gates, and from what I heard, I'm glad I did.

La Dispute was fucking awful. Like a store brand Thursday - and I don't like Thursday (except for Jet Black New Year, that song is sweet).

And then Thrice came on with Hurricane - I was like fuck yeah the wave of nostalgia is back. And SilhouetteDust and Nations....All the World is Mad. Really solid start. A band with this many amazing songs should just have killer shows now...not so. They somehow manage to choose their shittiest songs to play. Like Stay With Me, which is basically the worst song on the new record save for Wake Up. Back Draft, which I mean the fucking Fire record is one of their best and basically every other song is amazing (minus Flame Deluge) and this is the one you picked? The middle was just so mediocre. And then the ending was sick - hearing In Years to Come was crazy, but I was really hoping that IOS song they haven't played in a decade was So Strange I Remember You cause coincidentally, they played it about 10 years ago for when they redid it just before Vheissu came out. Oh well.

One final thing I'd like to echo that Vito accurately laid it down, is that Thrice is indeed grouped into a shitty genre basically because of IOS and TAITA - and now they're stuck there in spite of their music evolving way past that multiple times. At least for me, I got into them in 2003, right as TAITA and Saosin's Translating the Name came out, which I thought were just insanely good - and because that was associated with post-hardcore, i was like I want to hear more of this, and all that lead me to were the bands Vito showed - and I basically hated all of them. If anything, I just got more into metal (Darkest Hour, Protest the Hero, Dillinger Escape Plan). And yes, I too listen to basically 0 rock anymore save for Thrice, which I think in a way is sad because my roots are all in rock, and you would think even one new band would come out that was good, and I just haven't heard it.

Boston is 45 minutes out where I'm from...so I decided at, like, 5 PM to leave...got there at 6, found parking by the Guitar Center lot. Felt guilt about NOT seeing Thrice and just watching Game 7/Game of Thrones instead. Tickets were only, like, $25 so that's real cheap and not a loss to me. But I'd feel bad not seeing Adam so I had to text him to talk me into going.

-Gates-missed them. kind of interested in giving them a chance
-La Dispute- I don't know what to compare them to, the way Adam did...they're just so fucking terrible and insufferable to listen to. I know music is subjective, but they just feel so objectively terrible, solely because of the singer. It would probably help to have listened to their records beforehand. This is my 2nd time seeing them in 4 years, first time was a surprise. So I still felt like I could keep an open mind that they might surprise. But God, it sucks watching them. Awful vocals/cadence and awkward as fuck to watch the singer with his shirt tucked in go around the stage.It's like watching Rivers Cuomo front a post-hardcore punk band with how awkward it can be to watch him be a frontman without a guitar. It feels like the singer is being karate-chopped in the chest every time he tries to get a word out....and if he does spoken word shit, run for the hills. Fuck. That.
-tall guy blocking my view at times: guy looked like 'the Dentist' AKA the Iceland coach from Mighty Ducks 2. Had the hair and everything...you could imagine it slicked back a bit.
-Game 7 and the venue shutting the game off with 10 fucking seconds left!!!-Thrice ended playing, but there was less than 3 minutes left in the game, so I watched it with Adam's brother...and still a pretty decent crowd left in the venue by the merch table...then some cunt of a security guard, the dude who pat me down walking in, talked shit to everybody, shut the TV off with 10 fucking seconds left in the game (LeBron was fouled). Some dude turned it back on manually before he turned it off himself...again, I was so quietly livid/seething...I mean, WTF!?!!?! How do you do that?!...2010 NBA Finals, there was less than 6 minutes left in the game and they kicked us out...but every bar/restaurant we could go into was either packed or we had to walk back streets because police horses blocked us from going down Fenway Park's main restaurants so they forced us into a no man's land where we had to rush to find a TV....Fucking House of Blues staff sucks when it comes to common sense if it's a Game 7 of a major sporting event.
The Merch guy for Thrice yelled about it and had a sense of humor that he was from Ohio and 'LET ME HAVE THIS!' since the TV was right by him. Yeah, nothing. That was some bullshit. I congratulated him being, like, the last person in line for merch at the end.
-Riley had a doppelganger -like, mirror image. He had his glasses and stylish haircut that he had at one time. He came to the Thrice merch table at the very end...it was ridiculously uncanny that it was obvious this guy purposely set himself up to look like Riley. And he did, but like 10 years younger. Ho-ly shit.
-Thrice -yeah, I was disappointed with the show, like Adam. I was glad they were in a better venue (House of Blues rather than the Royale; plus it's cooler being somewhere historic/cool like RIGHT across from Fenway Park: always feels like it's a happening place, in a way). The middle of the set really dragged....they still sounded strong/great. But it's just a bad set....

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/thrice/2016/house-of-blues-boston-ma-33fe6459.html

^look at songs 4-11: pretty brutal in how bland it can be ('Black Honey' and 'Long Defeat' being lone exceptions that sounded fine).
I don't know where Thrice goes from here, but I'd like to see them mix things up a bit...and I don't mind if they go 'softer' even if they are a power band or play electronic shit like 'Digital Sea', 'Atlantic', or whatever.

Mainly, it's the disappointing choice in opening acts I have had to sit through to see Thrice that makes it kind of unbearable for me and gives me a headache before they come in. It's been bland bands since, like, 2008. I'm probably a softy: too much hard music at one time...worst headache after I sat through basically all of Taste of Chaos in 2008.

I'll pay to see them wherever, really, but it would be cool if they were able to get Boston Calling somehow...or co-headline with a band like Brand New or open for Jimmy Eat World. I don't care at this point if they are not the headliner.

Edited by Cassidy

Posted · Report post

They actually want to tour with JEW, Marty. Maybe next year. And you kinda had your dream scenerio when they  played Taste of Chaos here in So Cal last year. JEW and Thrice were back to back, that wouldve totally appeased you. And theyve been playing pretty much the same set this whole run so far. All thats been changed is Yellow Belly being in there, and Stare At The Sun made an appearance.  They admitted in the reddit AMA that tuning is a huge issue now with so many songs, and dont wanna mess with the flow. But I dont see anyone complaining over them getting handed a diff guitar almost every song if it means theyre gonna play some good shit. U2 ( for example ) The Edge gets a different guitar every damn song. It is a non issue for somebody like  them over the course of 2 1/2 hours.

Im only seeing em one time on the fall run. I already had tickets to something else the same night as the Novo show, and I usually stick with whatever I bought first. same thing happened in 2008 when I had tickets for Jay Z ( with Drake opening, lol ) and Thrice had 2 nights in SD, so I had to not go to one, but thats life. Although the Novo will be a ton of fun as its the end of the tour and they do all their pranks and such. 

Posted · Report post

Saw Thrice at HOB tonight.

Oh man, Beggars and then leading into Cold Cash was the band at its finest. The ending to Black Honey was reeeally great. IYTC slayed as well. I was surprised to only hear 1 song off M/M. Saw them play Silhouette for what felt like the 1,000th time. 

It might be because I was far back, but felt pretty underwhelmed most of the night. I think the reason I'm never 100% satisfied with a set of theirs is because I have high AF, unrealistic expectations, but it's also kind of because a lot of their music really does sound the same. But I guess my ideal set contains mostly older shit.

Also - holy living hell, La Dispute is absolute shite. I just kept thinking, "jesus fucking christ - who is actively listening to that in 2016."

Posted · Report post

"Some cunt of a security guard." 

All of this talk just reminds me of when I had to defend Thrice against people who were pissed that they didn't make "hardcore" records like IOS anymore after Vhiessu. The band and their music seems like it has just passed many of you by and that is okay. So many of us have watched our musical tastes evolve, perhaps more quickly and more radically in the past few years than ever before because we're adults (and I still don't even know what this means because I'm almost thirty and I went to a Joyce Manor show and had a blast) and so much music is so readily available and, despite our fanaticism, not tempering expectations after growing up with Thrice music is unfair and short-sighted.

Personally, I loved the shit out of the show they played in NYC. Our old friend Pete was there with me (remember Pete?) and we both really enjoyed the set. I'd never seen Backdraft, Cold Cash, IYTC (obv.), or Hold Fast Hope in concert, so that was cool. Hurricane as an opener is such a no-brainer and the crowd went ape. Anyways, Thrice is back and I'm into it. I don't care if they're considered garbage indie music. I don't mind seeing them at smaller venues. I don't give a bit of a fuck if Pitchfork ignores them and writes about some other dogshit. Thrice making new music > Thrice being on hiatus. 

P.S. Y'all are really making me feel shitty about digging La Dispute. They aren't the best band live and they have a strange energy (reminds me of seeing Pianos Become the Teeth -- great records, but in concert, it makes for a somber experience, what with all the songs about dead dads and depression and shit), but their last two albums are remarkably solid, especially lyrically. It being 2016 has nothing to do with it. I resent that shit so much. In fact, it's that kind of attitude, according to many of the lamentations I've seen here lately, that has led to Thrice "not being cool" because AVClub didn't review them or whatever.

P.S.S. I enjoy the climax of "Stay With Me" even if I think it's on the weaker end of the tracks from the new album. However, I will never...ever listen to "Wake Up." Is there such a thing as a "lyrical-trope?" If so, "opening your eyes" and "waking up" for whatever reason is near the top of what should be an ash-fucking-heap. 

P.S.S.S. Nobody moshed at the NYC show. I was thankful for that. 

I don't care about Pitchfork either...but AV Club, Rolling Stone, anywhere? Goddamn. It's a small gripe, but it gets frustrating that it doesn't happen. I don't get how they don't get reviewed or 'noticed', because I feel like a lot of bands they would tour with PRESENTLY would get reviewed, even the openers, and even bands from the PAST would get reviewed in those places if they put out a new record (Coheed, Thursday, etc)

La Dispute...
I'll say that I haven't listened to a record, just some clips. Vocals don't do it for me and it's the weak point of the band. Slam poetry doesn't do it either....live was just awful. I can tell that the lyrics are 'deep' and they are talking about real shit. But they were awful in 2011 or 2012, even worse in 2016.

Maybe I'm LESS likely to dig bands that are 'new', but La Dispute has been a band since 2004. I had to look up when that band formed and was shocked to see they've been around since then. Because it does feel like they formed as a band recently and still thought it was 2002, but it simply doesn't work. I don't think I would have liked them then, they just felt like a weird band to see perform NOW and appeal to people younger than me. It was jarring to see. At least 'live', maybe they are better on record. Just isn't my thing.

I thought I was done with pop-punk and thought just about everything 'new' sucked for about 10 years, really...but then the Wonder Years came and wondered how I missed them. And then the Story So Far 's latest record took me a year to REALLY get into and go to their past albums this past month, now it's my go-to gym music right now.

Future tours
I know about the Jimmy Eat World connection and I figured it would be either them or Brand New...I'm not totally against Taste of Chaos, but it's kind of a festival that pigeonholes and marginalizes bands a bit. I think Thrice could play at different festivals and do great. I hope it happens. But I'm so late that as big as I want Thrice to be, it passed them by like a decade ago. Most other bands would have had member(s) leave after the 2nd or 3rd album and it just doesn't feel the same...but they're 9 albums strong in.

Underoath remains my least favorite Thrice opener. I get the appeal a bit since they were HUGE to scene kids at my high school, particularly those younger than me...but I thought they were awful. The overly religious lyrics/vocals, everything. But it was the fans that made them worse and made me feel ridiculous for being at that show. And that was, like, a decade ago....the friend I went with to that show was absolutely FUMING having to watch Underoath in ways we didn't both expect (I think NoFx was another band we watched/tried giving a chance when we saw them play with the Lawrence Arms: I'll never understand that appeal. Really unfunny, but people thought were hilarious)

tuning and flow issues- makes sense. I'm not sure how possible it is to change guitars every other song. Thrice has the techs to make it work, but not on the level of U2 though.

Edited by Cassidy

Posted · Report post

That was weird...one of you fucks made up that Grammy post as a joke probably.

Posted · Report post

La Dispute...
Maybe I'm LESS likely to dig bands that are 'new', but La Dispute has been a band since 2004. I had to look up when that band formed and was shocked to see they've been around since then. Because it does feel like they formed as a band recently and still thought it was 2002, but it simply doesn't work. I don't think I would have liked them then, they just felt like a weird band to see perform NOW and appeal to people younger than me. It was jarring to see. At least 'live', maybe they are better on record. Just isn't my thing.

Probably could've just said LD isn't your thing instead of going off on them in three separate places on this page alone... haha. I haven't been into their last two records, but Wildlife is probably in my top 10 all time records and the La Dispute show I saw in 2012 was one of the best I've ever been to. Maybe try these tracks?

If those don't do it for you, I don't require 3k words explaining why. To each his own.

Posted · Report post

So I haven't posted here in eons. I guess life just has me busy now (my daughter just turned 1 so it's all been for great reasons!). That being said I'm honestly somewhat surprised by your reactions to the new record. I'm NOT surprised to your opinions on La Dispute. Good fucking god they're awful. Just beyond horrendous. Someone in the Thrice camp's sister has to be banging one of the guys or something, right?

For TBEITBN I'm actually somewhat relieved that Dustin went away from his religious undertones and focused more on current affairs. Yeah, that almost automatically makes his lyrics not quite as deep but that also allows for a more instant connection emotionally. I obviously understand opinions are opinions, but Adam, you sure don't seem to like Stand With Me very much. But when I listen to it (especially through headphones with my eyes closed) it basically brings me to tears. One thing I've always loved about Thrice is their ability to take a more or less basic song structure (2 chords verse, 2-4 chorus, basic leads) but have them blend together in a way that sends chills up your spine. Overall I'd say Vhiessu is still my favorite album they've ever put out but ask me in a couple years and it's very possible that answer could change to TBEITBN. It's very cohesive.

That being said, JEW with Thrice, OMG MADE THAT HAPPEN DAMMIT!!! haha. Hope you're all doing well, it's been too long.

Posted · Report post

I went to the New York show. I wasn't impressed with their openers, but Thrice hasn't really toured with bands I've liked in almost 10 years, so nothing new there. The guys put on a great show still, aside from pulling out a few records I couldn't have cared less about (Daedalus, Backdraft, IYTC). Also, what's their love for Silhouette? It's not bad but I feel like they've played it at every show -- festival, club or otherwise -- since TAITA. I get that they wanted to play the new shit and chill on the old predictables like Betrayal or UAKM, so switch out those songs I mentioned for like, Come All You Weary, Living Dance, Talking Through Glass, and Blur and I would've loved the show a bit more and would've kept the energy up during the new songs that nobody cared about.

Marty, there were no black people at the show you went to because there's like 37 black people in Boston and 11 of them are Celtics.

Posted · Report post

So I haven't posted here in eons. I guess life just has me busy now (my daughter just turned 1 so it's all been for great reasons!). That being said I'm honestly somewhat surprised by your reactions to the new record. I'm NOT surprised to your opinions on La Dispute. Good fucking god they're awful. Just beyond horrendous. Someone in the Thrice camp's sister has to be banging one of the guys or something, right?

For TBEITBN I'm actually somewhat relieved that Dustin went away from his religious undertones and focused more on current affairs. Yeah, that almost automatically makes his lyrics not quite as deep but that also allows for a more instant connection emotionally. I obviously understand opinions are opinions, but Adam, you sure don't seem to like Stand With Me very much. But when I listen to it (especially through headphones with my eyes closed) it basically brings me to tears. One thing I've always loved about Thrice is their ability to take a more or less basic song structure (2 chords verse, 2-4 chorus, basic leads) but have them blend together in a way that sends chills up your spine. Overall I'd say Vhiessu is still my favorite album they've ever put out but ask me in a couple years and it's very possible that answer could change to TBEITBN. It's very cohesive.

That being said, JEW with Thrice, OMG MADE THAT HAPPEN DAMMIT!!! haha. Hope you're all doing well, it's been too long.

We've missed your annual drive-bys the last few tax seasons.