Thrice

6,359 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Has anyone else heard Thrice's Cover of Smashing Pumpkins 1979. I was driving around listening to Octane and all of a sudden an exclusive track and Bam. I can't find a rip of it anywhere. I was wondering if anyone else has heard it or have it.

FOUND IT!

https://youtu.be/eiWS71G2hZc

Edited by Giuseppe

Posted · Report post

Has anyone else heard Thrice's Cover of Smashing Pumpkins 1979. I was driving around listening to Octane and all of a sudden an exclusive track and Bam. I can't find a rip of it anywhere. I was wondering if anyone else has heard it or have it.

FOUND IT!

https://youtu.be/eiWS71G2hZc

That's a sick cover! I wonder how long ago it was recorded? Makes you wonder how many other songs like this are floating out in the interwebs.

So I haven't posted here in eons. I guess life just has me busy now (my daughter just turned 1 so it's all been for great reasons!). That being said I'm honestly somewhat surprised by your reactions to the new record. I'm NOT surprised to your opinions on La Dispute. Good fucking god they're awful. Just beyond horrendous. Someone in the Thrice camp's sister has to be banging one of the guys or something, right?

For TBEITBN I'm actually somewhat relieved that Dustin went away from his religious undertones and focused more on current affairs. Yeah, that almost automatically makes his lyrics not quite as deep but that also allows for a more instant connection emotionally. I obviously understand opinions are opinions, but Adam, you sure don't seem to like Stand With Me very much. But when I listen to it (especially through headphones with my eyes closed) it basically brings me to tears. One thing I've always loved about Thrice is their ability to take a more or less basic song structure (2 chords verse, 2-4 chorus, basic leads) but have them blend together in a way that sends chills up your spine. Overall I'd say Vhiessu is still my favorite album they've ever put out but ask me in a couple years and it's very possible that answer could change to TBEITBN. It's very cohesive.

That being said, JEW with Thrice, OMG MADE THAT HAPPEN DAMMIT!!! haha. Hope you're all doing well, it's been too long.

We've missed your annual drive-bys the last few tax seasons.

I know, I need to come by here more often. Damn life getting in the way!

Posted · Report post

this 1979 cover recorded recently?   as the youtube description suggests.  

much better nasal tone than the original singer.  there's an interesting doublebind in the "Whale Wars" (paul watson and his sea shepherd band)tv show's smashingpumpkins theme song repeated lyric "despite all my rage i am still just a rat in a cage!"

we would love to hear "thrice" cover that song.  believe it's called the world is a vampire.  actually it's called bullet with butterfly wings, a more interesting title.

Published on Jul 27, 2016

Dustin Kensrue and Teppei Teranishi, July 2016

Uploaded under Fair Use. I make no copyright claim to this content.

anyone know if Ed is still doing professional work for "angels and airwaves"  ?   wikipedia says his current bassist status in that group is uncertain.  sounds like some occult dave gome ufo-worship mars hill rover hella negro spiritual post-funk abomination.  not like smashing pumpkins at all.

Posted · Report post

They added another so cal show. October 9th at The Observatory. and its their ''final hometown appearance for 2016''. Now I dont feel too bad for not making the l.a. show.

Posted · Report post

Saw Thrice last night at The Warfield in SF. It was really good to see them again considering I missed their farewell tour. Overall the show and setlist were amazing. 

Being the first show of the tour, there was a bit of rust left on the older stuff but I was just so happy they played it.

Posted · Report post

Set list from Portland:

Hurricane, silhouette, black honey, dfa, long defeat, blood in the sand, deadbolt, artist, tews, hoods on peregrine, yellow belly, atwim, daedalus, wood and wire, the window, for miles, dust

Best show I've ever seen them play. They were masterful.

Posted · Report post

Still listening to TBEITN a lot. One of my favorite albums of the year for sure. I even like "Stay With Me" and "Wake Up." I think "Salt and Shadow" is the weakest though, but still not bad.

A couple more weeks till their show at the Observatory. Can't wait to hear the new stuff. The setlist looks solid for the most part, except for TAITA. Can't wait to hear The Window, Hoods on Peregrine, and others.

Hurricane

Silhouette

Of Dust and Nations

All the World is Mad

Black Honey

Backdraft

The Window

The Long Defeat

The Weight

Wood and Wire

Daedalus

Hold Fast Hope

Hoods on Peregrine

Blood on the Sand

Death from Above

Yellow Belly

For Miles

The Artist in the Ambulance

Deadbolt

The Earth Will Shake

Posted · Report post

Just sucks theyre not really changing it around after the first run when they said they would. I think its going ot take them until those last 3 so cal dates to do siff stuff cause they cant just do the same ol thing twice at the observatory, plus a tour finale so you know something will happen.