suprefan

Thrice

6,354 posts in this topic

they need to return to better song structures a la IOS, and stuff like For Miles. For Miles is brilliant.

with TAI and some of beggars they got in the habit of songs that were so similar. Intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, outro.

]For Miles

Wait. What?

/dumb ramble

Oh ok.

I will say that I love IOS because the song structures are so bizarre, yet the songs are so memorable (unlike a lot of bands that have weird song structures, those songs stick in your head). But I don't think their songwriting has gotten worse since they've settled on more traditional structures. They still have the same merits as a band. I wouldn't mind if they experimented with some IOS-style structures, but I wouldn't mind if they stayed with the verse-chorus thing either. My two favorite Thrice records are IOS and Beggars, so I'm happy either way.

Wait. What?

for miles is pretty much just a buildup of a song. there's not a definitive verse or chorus. it just starts, has a middle and ends. it's like a movement of a song. i never thought of it as having a typical verse or chorus. that's just me though..

Even if it builds up, it still has a traditional structure, just without an end chorus.

Verse 1: "I know one day"

Chorus: "And as long as we live"

Verse 2: "And on that day" (exact same chord progression as V1 w/ the same piano part buried in the mix, w/ guitars and bigger drums).

Chorus: "And as long as we live"

Bridge: Danny Elfman

for miles is pretty much just a buildup of a song. there's not a definitive verse or chorus. it just starts, has a middle and ends. it's like a movement of a song. i never thought of it as having a typical verse or chorus. that's just me though..

I agree. It's a traditional structure done very untraditionally.

Either way, it's still Thrice's best song.

Claimtosubclaim wins. I would argue that MOST (edit: post Artist) Thrice songs are a build up of some sort. For Miles is just the smoothest one where each part adds a layer. But yeah, there is a distinctive verse/chorus/verse/chorus/outro.

I was just on there yesterday, looking for the Artist in the Ambulance inserts with all the song commentary. I could have sworn they were on there, but I couldn't find them. Anyone still have them?

haha my friend just informed me that the dear hunter is actually making a Colors EP thing that's coming out next year. i had no idea.

what exactly is this album supposed to be about? i don't get what the colors would do for it other than provide pretty packaging, be described in lyrics or just for the sake of doing 9 EPs at once. anyone else know anything about it?

haha my friend just informed me that the dear hunter is actually making a Colors EP thing that's coming out next year. i had no idea.

what exactly is this album supposed to be about? i don't get what the colors would do for it other than provide pretty packaging, be described in lyrics or just for the sake of doing 9 EPs at once. anyone else know anything about it?

The different colors are supposed to have different musical styles, like the 4 elements in the Alchemy Index.

I can't see how the different colors are supposed to sound that different when you have 9 of them though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.