Stringer

Advanced Member

• Approved
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
will go through centuries...  Member Reputation
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

i listened to these guys almost all day today. Its amazing to me how much i don't enjoy The Alchemy Index anymore. I loved that when it first came out but now it just seems super pretentious and doesn't interest me. 2/4 sonnets are garbage (Fire, Water) "As The Crow Flies" might possibly be the lamest (maybe not lame but just...weird?) song they have ever written. "Burn the Fleet" was one of my favorites when it first came out, now its just kinda cheesy. I guess i get tired of Dustin's "nautically themed" lyrics. Fire just seems to be all over the place in general. I was stunned when i first heard "Night Diving" but now after listening to a lot of post-rock in the following years, its pretty bland. Of the 24 songs, i maybe really like 10 of them and the rest i could kinda do without.

Beggars, on the other hand, is probably my favorite album by them. Dustin doesn't get overly preachy lyrically like he does in Major/Minor, weird to say considering its got lyrics like All The World Is Mad and Beggars on it. In Exile should have been a bigger song for them, its a shame they never got exposure with that one. I think its their most consistent album they ever released.

Not much on Major/Minor really interests me anymore with the exception of Cataracts, Words in the Water, and Anthology. 

It would still be awesome to hear some new stuff from these guys within the next couple of years though.

Posted Image

#5842 Capricancerous

Capricancerous

What's a fuck when what I want is love?

• Approved
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
will go through centuries...  Member Reputation

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

i listened to these guys almost all day today. Its amazing to me how much i don't enjoy The Alchemy Index anymore. I loved that when it first came out but now it just seems super pretentious and doesn't interest me. 2/4 sonnets are garbage (Fire, Water) "As The Crow Flies" might possibly be the lamest (maybe not lame but just...weird?) song they have ever written. "Burn the Fleet" was one of my favorites when it first came out, now its just kinda cheesy. I guess i get tired of Dustin's "nautically themed" lyrics. Fire just seems to be all over the place in general. I was stunned when i first heard "Night Diving" but now after listening to a lot of post-rock in the following years, its pretty bland. Of the 24 songs, i maybe really like 10 of them and the rest i could kinda do without.

Beggars, on the other hand, is probably my favorite album by them. Dustin doesn't get overly preachy lyrically like he does in Major/Minor, weird to say considering its got lyrics like All The World Is Mad and Beggars on it. In Exile should have been a bigger song for them, its a shame they never got exposure with that one. I think its their most consistent album they ever released.

Not much on Major/Minor really interests me anymore with the exception of Cataracts, Words in the Water, and Anthology. 

It would still be awesome to hear some new stuff from these guys within the next couple of years though.

I agree with most of your sentiments.

Major/Minor would be their best album in my eyes if it weren't so lyrically heavy-handed and preachy in such an overbearing way.

Musically, I'm a big fan of it. But the lyrics just weigh on everything. The only songs that are still listenable to me are the ones that can be left open to interpretation, not bowing to any overtly religious theme. "Words in the Water" is one of those songs, I agree.

"In Exile" still really holds up for me as well, possibly more than any other song in their discography, though the rest of Beggars has its share of songs I could take or leave.

As for Alchemy Index, it was an ambitious project that could have been a lot better. "Broken Lungs" holds up the most of all the songs from that era, I think.

In the end I think this band couldn't hold it together because of Dustin's ties to a certain brand of extreme religiosity, which only became increasingly pronounced with each passing album. All you have to do is listen to the lyrics.

I don't think I would want to hear any new music from this band. And I don't see it happening either.

\tumblr_m824o64Fc11qj7hp7o1_500.gif