Fyre gargles balls

NCAA Basketball

669 posts in this topic

BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT!!!

Don't call an obvious charge OR an obvious fifth foul on Withey.

Clones got screwed.

Classy dunk at the end by the Jaytwats as well.

College Basketball is back and we got to see some future rock stars play for the first time at a bigger level. Both Wiggins and Parker had solid starts. The best start I saw was Julius Randle at Kentucky though. He looks fantastic. Might outshine both Wiggins and Parker throughout this year. He had 23 points and 15 rebounds in his first start. Wiggins is probably the most athletic but Randle and Parker look like they are more agressive. 

Other than that, pretty much ever ranked team won their first game against teams barely worth mentioning and my favorites UNC and MSU had decent starts. UNC not having Hairston and Mcdonald will set them back. I don't have any expectations for them regardless. 

Wow, Texas beats UNC.  Crazy game.

Never been more surprised by a Texas team.  Everyone thought this would be the worst Longhorn team of the century and Barnes would get fired.  10-1 now and they look like the deepest team in a while even though they have no star player or potential 1st round picks.

Yeah... Carolina has a complete lack of an outside shooting game right now.  Leslie McDonald was finally cleared to play after missing the 1st 9, so that's good because he can shoot pretty well, but the only shooter we'd had all season was PG Marcus Paige and we've been missing the other two guys who can shoot -- both SGs McDonald & PJ Hairston.  Hairston is a big deal -- his swagger carries the team and he can literally get hot and carry an entire half, but it's looking like he may be ruled ineligible this season for being a dumb fuck.  Over the 1st 9 games, the rest of the team other than Marcus Paige had taken like 20 three point shots all season and he was also the only real threat to hit a FT (team was 24/47 tonight, Paige was 8/8 so everyone else was an awesome 16/39 = 41%).  McDonald took 10 shots tonight off of the bench and 9 of them were from beyond the arc (4/9).  That tells you how desperately we need that game.  But you see, those same guys are the guys who run the fast-break, up-tempo game that has been a Carolina staple for decades, which is a shell of itself right not.  All season it's been about grinding inside, but not even in the paint because the post game isn't that great, strong D and really out-hustling on rebounds.  If you foul Carolina, or shoot well enough, or beat them off the boards, then you can win.  Texas did 2/3 of those tonight and got the win they earned, or the win Carolina failed to convert on from FT.  Had they shot a still-terrible 60% from FT, 28/47 = win.  We're so bad at FTs that Kentucky & Michigan St both started fouling with more than 3 minutes left!!

Edited by DK.

Carolina isn't applying to re-instate PJ Hairston, ending his UNC & probably collegiate career.  He was UNC's leading scorer last season, is a monster outside, with crazy ability to get hot, swaggy and carry a half.  

If UNC's reluctance to take 1 & done players unlike Kentucky, Duke, etc. wasn't enough to tell you that Carolina isn't a "win at all costs" program, then this should be.  Hairston would put UNC over the top, but apparently Carolina's own investigation of Hairston's actions lead them to believe it's not even worth taking the chance to tarnish the program with a rejection.  I've felt like in recent years that the 1& done thing is really putting UNC at a disadvantage (if such a thing exists for that jersey) to remain entirely competitive at the elite level.  (Of course, no one is going to feel sorry for Carolina.)

^^^ Hahahahaha so true

It's too bad d00k chickened out on Wednesday and didn't want a repeat of "the snow game", Maryland @ UNC game in January 2000 (which I was at).  It would have been all UNC students at the game.  Interestingly enough, the entire crew for the game -- ESPN, Raycom, the officials, and the vendors were all at the Dean Dome or the vicinity readying for the game when d00k said they couldn't make the 8 mile drive down US15-501.  

This UNC grad took a few moments to troll the situation about 2 hours before tipoff.  (There was no further snow in the forecast.)

(I'm not into his whole "Yankee" bashing of Duke, though it is affectionately known as the University of New Jersey at Durham by many.)  Kinda sounds like a forfeit to a lot of people.  And class had been cancelled at d00k that day, and the route is the main artery across that area so obviously easily accessible.  I'd rather beat them the old fashioned way, though -- not that we're up to our usual standard this season, but a d00k snow game would have been unbelieveable... had we won, of course.

.....so a top-25 ranked SMU didnt make the tourney? I know they lost in the AAC tourney, but come on. Iowa faceplanted at the end and at least got a play-in (yes, I know the BIG 10 is a better conference by far, but still...

I'm gonna comment on the UNC academic "fraud" scandal from someone who attended the University and was exposed to the athletic dept.  

I keep seeing people talk about the death penalty for UNC, but I find that unfounded and unlikely for a number of reasons.  The North Carolina brand is perennially one of the best money draws for the NCAA, even without a very successful football program.  (All of the other major cheddar makers are the football schools.)  

What program(s) would receive the death penalty?  Everyone focuses on the basketball program because it has the most notoriety and PJ Hairston gave it a black eye, but the independent report exonerated Roy Williams and the NCAA hasn't even contacted him yet in their probe.  Additionally, this was going on before he came back to coach the basketball program, pervading multiple ADs & head coaches across almost every sport except like Anson Dorrance (women's soccer) & Karen Shelton (w field hockey).    

The report notes that 48% of the students who took the "paper classes" in the African-American Studies (AFAM) dept were athletes.  Also noted was that those classes were available to all students, a fact which I personally experienced.  At one point in my UNC career, I enrolled in an AFAM class that fulfilled an elective category requirement only to show up to a locked door of what I presume was classroom in the AFAM building on the first day.  (Believing that this class had been cancelled, I found a new class to take.)  Later I learned of "independent study" courses in which students were graded on a paper, and this was common across many majors.  (I assume this is a tool of many accredited universities, as it could provide means to giving credit to relevant work outside of a classroom.)  

Every school has majors that are easier than others.  I ultimately did take an AFAM course that met 3 days a week and it was one of, if not the easiest classes that I took at UNC.  As reported, it is a very common major among the big sport athletes and that's no surprise to me because it's not really a serious stepping-stone field of study.  The other two common majors among big sport athletes are communications and exercise & sports science.  COMM has easier routes through it and is applicable in the sense that athletes could work in sports media or production after playing careers.  (UNC has a top 3 journalism & mass communication department, so you can see where the separate "communications studies" department is a bit irrelevant if not a pressure relief outlet.)   And the EXSS department is a self-explanatory outlet for some athletes.  With that said, I would not be surprised at all to find that 48% ratio of athletes taking AFAM paper courses to be close to the proportion of declared AFAM majors who are athletes.  (The degreed ratio will obviously be lower as this is probably the least academic major at UNC and athletes leave without degrees.)  I'm sorry if I offend Shane, but AFAM is not a serious course of study at an elite university.  

I think it would be pretty hard for you to find a UNC student who wouldn't tell you that the AFAM dept is a "jock major" and that he or she didn't know someone who received class credit for writing an independent study paper in one of many departments, specifically the humanities.  And I don't think anyone thought of it as some sort of secret.  I'd like to see the coursework of Duke's one-and-done phenoms that only need to be eligible for a semester.      

Edited by DK.

He was epic. Absolute legend in Basketball. He was huge for African American rights in NC as well.

I am going to put on my Vince Carter jersey from like 1996-7 on when I get home. 

Exactly.  He was great human being who just happened to be a fantastic basketball coach & mind.  His abrupt, unexpected retirement came during my first semester at UNC.  I remember the feeling in my English class as the news permeated the University prior to his presser.  One classmate knew what was going on and said something to another as class gathered, only to find the entire class pick up on the exchange and lose their heads.  I recall the guy who sat behind me walk out in disbelief.  (This was before cell phones were ubiquitous, no one was really texting, the entire UNC campus wasn't quite wired yet and certainly not wifi, and two years away from a mandatory laptop requirement.)  

Edited by DK.

I'm down for a Boreds one if others are down. I dont know why but in general its been hard to find enough people to do brackets with this year.