Fyre gargles balls

NCAA Basketball

669 posts in this topic

Why would anyone buy into Texas after last year?

That team was hyped out the ass and sucked fat eggs with legit NBA talent.

Barnes may be the worst coach in the Big 12.

Why would anyone buy into Texas after last year?

That team was hyped out the ass and sucked fat eggs with legit NBA talent.

Barnes may be the worst coach in the Big 12.

This may come as a shock to you, but sports teams don't always do the same thing every year. Sometimes teams are good, and sometimes they're bad. This changes even more frequently in college sports where players declare for the NBA and change the dynamic of teams.

As for Barnes being the worst coach in the Big 12, he's been to two Elite Eights and one Final Four. He's in the top 10 in wins among active coaches.

Last years Texas team had a ton of talent but no chemistry and no identity. They had a logjam of guards and Barnes couldn't find a consistent rotation. They had guys that were selfish (Avery Bradley) and immature (Jordan Hamilton).

This years Texas team has a ton of talent and chemistry. Jordan Hamilton has matured and turned into a Big 12 MVP candidate (19.7 ppg, 7.1 rbp) and Tristan Thompson is a dominating player down low.

Texas has wins over #10 Texas A&M, #18 Michigan State, #22 Illinois, and should have technically beaten #8 Connecticut had the referees saw that Kemba Walker's shot shouldn't have counted.

Saturday's game at Kansas should be a great one. Clearly the two most talented teams in the Big 12.

Duke has no inside presence.

Plumlees are soft. A team like Ohio State or Kansas would smack them around on the post.

They might not score a lot, but they're certainly not soft. And besides, Duke won the championship last year without an inside presence. That's not their game.

Yeahup.

Kid's a pure scorer, but his supporting crew is lackluster.

I'd like to pick BYU for the elite eight or so, but they're too reliant on him. I don't think they'll win many games come tourney time.

Duke is getting HANDLED by St. John's right now. Tough to watch.

:D

i've been gone for too long to get sucked back in by some random win that doesn't really mean anything (havent cared about them since i was a little kid before artest got there), but duke struggles are always good times.

Typical Duke road loss.

Oh well. Like I was told many moons ago by my dad... regular season is poppy cock for teams like Duke. So I'll only bitch when we get knocked out of the tourney... which will probably happen early.

Suck it, Duke.

And fellside, who would be the #3 then?

It'll be:

tOSU

Kansas

Texas

Eh, it might end up like that. But Pitt still only has 2 losses and they have some really impressive wins.

I think it makes more sense to have Pitt ahead of Texas than Kansas ahead of Texas. Texas beat Kansas and Kansas has zero impressive wins. Pitt beat Texas and Pitt has impressive wins.

WSU beat UW last night, and it was awesome.

A player on the UW team is being investigated for rape of a high school girl. So the WSU fans had these signs.

167371_760089926803_27205183_41293042_2262384_n.jpg

Eh, it might end up like that. But Pitt still only has 2 losses and they have some really impressive wins.

I think it makes more sense to have Pitt ahead of Texas than Kansas ahead of Texas. Texas beat Kansas and Kansas has zero impressive wins. Pitt beat Texas and Pitt has impressive wins.

Well, I called my shot. Hit it, too.

Texas is lower than Kansas because they're a three-loss team. They got HANDLED by USC, who Kansas beat, which probably brings them down in the eyes of a majority of posters.

Kansas, on the other hand, is a completely different story. They've beaten Arizona and Memphis, and beat down KState at home. But it comes down to the fact that they're a one loss team in a major conference. It's hard to justify placing a three loss team over a one loss team, when they're in the same conference.

I don't think Texas will outright win the Big 12, even with a cupcake schedule coming up, they're bound to drop at least one. My most likely bet is either at Nebraska or Colorado, possibly both. Texas and Barnes, are not known for finishing particularly strong in the conference. Nonetheless, I assume Kansas will meet Texas in the Big 12 tourney, and like most times, it'll be a battle, and Kansas will come out on top.

We'll have to wait a month or so to see if I'm right.

Well, I called my shot. Hit it, too.

Texas is lower than Kansas because they're a three-loss team. They got HANDLED by USC, who Kansas beat, which probably brings them down in the eyes of a majority of posters.

Kansas, on the other hand, is a completely different story. They've beaten Arizona and Memphis, and beat down KState at home. But it comes down to the fact that they're a one loss team in a major conference. It's hard to justify placing a three loss team over a one loss team, when they're in the same conference.

I don't think Texas will outright win the Big 12, even with a cupcake schedule coming up, they're bound to drop at least one. My most likely bet is either at Nebraska or Colorado, possibly both. Texas and Barnes, are not known for finishing particularly strong in the conference. Nonetheless, I assume Kansas will meet Texas in the Big 12 tourney, and like most times, it'll be a battle, and Kansas will come out on top.

We'll have to wait a month or so to see if I'm right.

It's ridiculous that Texas and Barnes apparently have a history of collapsing now due to one season. They've been to the final four. They've had three or four deep tournament runs in the past 7 years.

Texas has 5 wins over currently ranked teams (Kansas, A&M, Missouri, Illinois, UNC). Kansas has one (Arizona). Plus Texas beat Kansas on the road. Plus Texas lost to UConn and Pitt by a combined 3 points.

Texas has beaten EVERY SINGLE BIG 12 school by double digits. They're outscoring their 7 conference opponents something like 500 to 370 or something. They aren't just undefeated in conference play, they're dominating.

Have you been watching them? I've seen all but two of their games this year and it's quite clear that they're playing better than everyone in the country right now. And the toughest part of their schedule is behind them.

Texas could lose in the Big 12 Tournament, but I can almost guarantee they're going to win the regular season. Kansas still has to play Missouri twice and A&M. So even if Texas loses two games (which they probably won't) they'll still have the regular season title.

It's ridiculous that Texas and Barnes apparently have a history of collapsing now due to one season. They've been to the final four. They've had three or four deep tournament runs in the past 7 years.

Texas has 5 wins over currently ranked teams (Kansas, A&M, Missouri, Illinois, UNC). Kansas has one (Arizona). Plus Texas beat Kansas on the road. Plus Texas lost to UConn and Pitt by a combined 3 points.

Texas has beaten EVERY SINGLE BIG 12 school by double digits. They're outscoring their 7 conference opponents something like 500 to 370 or something. They aren't just undefeated in conference play, they're dominating.

Have you been watching them? I've seen all but two of their games this year and it's quite clear that they're playing better than everyone in the country right now. And the toughest part of their schedule is behind them.

Texas could lose in the Big 12 Tournament, but I can almost guarantee they're going to win the regular season. Kansas still has to play Missouri twice and A&M. So even if Texas loses two games (which they probably won't) they'll still have the regular season title.

I've watched about as much Texas basketball than you have, then.

About Barnes: Never has as little been done with the talent at hand. Durant, Aldridge, James, Augustin. Barnes, year in, and year out, has the top five recruiting class in basketball. That Final Four, they promptly lost. Barnes hasn't been near a final four in years. Even with all that talent. He had, arguably, the best scorer in the world, Kevin Durant, and couldn't crack the final four. When you consistently take in 5 star recruits and produce 2nd and 1st round losses in the tourney, there's a serious problem. Hell, Barnes even said last year that he "cared more about getting players into the NBA than the tourney."

However, I will say that something with Barnes has changed this year. He studied the Utah Jazz offense, but that's besides the point. Texas' offense has always been present. What hasn't is the ability to defend, and this year, they're playing lock-down d. Coupled with strong(ish) offense, it makes them a solid team.

I still don't think they're going to outright win the conference. Teams have up nights, and beat teams that are better than them. Nebraska is a solid defensive team, and has the ability to pull of the upset, opposite with the offense of Colorado.

About Kansas: They won't lose to Missouri. Have you ever watched Mizzou basketball? It's full-court press, all the time. Transition threes and an admitted "no set offense." It's all about running against Missouri, and frankly, Kansas is a more athletic team than Missouri. Kansas thrives off of transition and the open court. It will be a slaughter in Allen, and a double-digit win in Columbia. Kansas probably won't lose to A&M either. A&M has a problem with offensive production, and we know that Kansas doesn't.

And honestly, have you been watching the Big 12? It sucks this year. Kansas and Texas are the two best, and the rest is sub 40's kenpom. Missouri is GROSSLY over-ranked, and so was A&M. Baylor and KState are awful as well. Colorado is dropping games like flies, and Oklahoma, who many predicted would finish last, is in the midst of a 4 game winning streak.

I predict that Kansas will lose another, and Texas will lose two. They'll share the title.

I have a question: Do you think Texas beating Kansas means that Texas is the better team?

Finally, if you're persistent enough, want to place a bet? You're pretty positive that Texas will win, enough to put some money down?

EDIT: Also, you didn't address the USC loss. That's what a tourney selection committee would like to call a "bad loss." Kansas has zero bad losses. And putting Illinois and UNC on the good-wins list is laughable. I just reread over your post, and I'm questioning if you've actually watched any team besides your own.

Barnes hasn't been near a final four in years.

He went to the Elite Eight three years ago. That's pretty close to the Final Four.

I still don't think they're going to outright win the conference. Teams have up nights, and beat teams that are better than them. Nebraska is a solid defensive team, and has the ability to pull of the upset, opposite with the offense of Colorado.

This doesn't make sense with this....

About Kansas: They won't lose to Missouri. Have you ever watched Mizzou basketball? It's full-court press, all the time. Transition threes and an admitted "no set offense." It's all about running against Missouri, and frankly, Kansas is a more athletic team than Missouri. Kansas thrives off of transition and the open court. It will be a slaughter in Allen, and a double-digit win in Columbia. Kansas probably won't lose to A&M either. A&M has a problem with offensive production, and we know that Kansas doesn't.

So teams have up nights and down nights but it doesn't effect Kansas. It only effects Texas? You're being very biased.

And honestly, have you been watching the Big 12? It sucks this year. Kansas and Texas are the two best, and the rest is sub 40's kenpom. Missouri is GROSSLY over-ranked, and so was A&M. Baylor and KState are awful as well. Colorado is dropping games like flies, and Oklahoma, who many predicted would finish last, is in the midst of a 4 game winning streak.

I know that the Big 12 sucks. That's why I don't think Texas will lose two games. Your logic is going against itself repeatedly.

I have a question: Do you think Texas beating Kansas means that Texas is the better team?

I just think from watching both teams that Texas is the more complete team. Kansas relies too heavily on the Morris brothers and Selby has been hit or miss. They don't have anyone to match up with Jordan Hamilton. And Thompson, Johnson and Hill handled the Morris brothers pretty well.

Finally, if you're persistent enough, want to place a bet? You're pretty positive that Texas will win, enough to put some money down?

I might be willing to bet that Texas wins the regular season. But I'm not betting on the tournament. Crazy things happen in that tournament.

EDIT: Also, you didn't address the USC loss. That's what a tourney selection committee would like to call a "bad loss." Kansas has zero bad losses. And putting Illinois and UNC on the good-wins list is laughable. I just reread over your post, and I'm questioning if you've actually watched any team besides your own.

Again your logic contradicts itself. I can't mention UNC and Illinois but you can mention Arizona? All three teams are similarly ranked. None of them are great but all three are decent.

Yes I've watched plenty of teams this year. You're acting like it's absurd for me to say these things when all the experts agree with me. Bilas, Katz, Gotleib, pretty much anyone I've heard has said Texas is playing better than anyone right now.

As for USC it was a bad loss in December. I think Texas has shown against Pitt, UConn, Kansas, A&M, Missouri, UNC, and Illinois that they're a pretty damn good team.