Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vince

Boxing

43 posts in this topic

Anybody watch Pac-man dismantle a man 15 lbs. heavier than him last night? In what was yet another lackluster fight for non-pac fans, Pacquiao systematically destroyed Antonio Margarito with amazing footwork, blazing speed, and enough to power to hurt Margarito early in the fight, rendering his power useless and making his already poor speed virtually invisible. Pacquiao came from multiple angles at multiple speeds, attacking Margarito's body and almost swelling his right eye shut. It was ugly.

Pacquiao is one of the best boxers of this era, arguably the best. Only one man stands in the way of him being the best with no argument: Floyd Mayweather Jr. What are you waiting for Floyd? There's only one dream fight on the horizon any boxing fan can think of and its Floyd v. Manny. Floyd's camp has used excuse after excuse and now, with Floyd facing jailtime, it might seem like this dream fight may never happen. Does anyone really want to see Pacquiao in a rematch with Miguel Cotto, a guy he took to school before a 12th rd. TKO? Or Shane Mosely, a guy who lost to the bigger, stronger man Pacquiao defeated last night? No way. Those are tune-ups. Only one fight will get the world talking again about boxing. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. Mayweather shied away from facing Margarito in the past, as well as Paul Williams, who's fighting for free on HBO this weekend in what should be an exciting fight. Its no surprise he'd cower from Pacquiao.

With MMA eclipsing this seemingly dying sport, boxing still has one fight that no one can avoid getting excited for. I remember how big the Hatton/Mayweather fight was a couple years back. Even though HBO's 24/7 had a lot to do with it, the fight developed a great amount of hype for a fight that could never live up to it. Hatton was outmatched against Floyd. A fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather would certainly live up to the hype.

Good write-up man. Pac-Man destroyed Margarito. Margarito's punches, although heavy, are incredibly slow. He did land a few when he was able to get Pacquiao on the ropes but he still lost some of those exchanges. I was pretty sure they were going to stop the fight like the Cotto fight in the 12th.

Mayweather is avoiding Pacquiao to protect his 41-0 perfect record so he can always argue he is the "Greatest of All Time." It's a sad ploy to protect his legacy. Too bad his legacy will always be the guy that ducked Paquiao for a perfect record.

Mayweather is a pussy.

^ Thanks guys. Yea, Mayweather reminds me of that guy who stinks at sports but happens to beat you once at a friendly game of HORSE or something like that and refuses to ever grant a rematch while claiming he destroyed you and is better than you and undefeated etc. Its annoying. I'd wager Mayweather isn't necessarily afraid of Pac, just afraid of possibly blemishing that record. He's a classic heel who almost everyone wants to see lose, but in the end I think he's a better fighter than Pac. Its on a pro wrestling level in the sense that a great heel will draw because the public is seething to see the guy lose. I wish he'd realize that the sport that made him a rich man is dying and that the last dream fight we'll probably ever fawn over includes him and the biggest payday he'd ever see, but like the above poster said, he has bigger fish to fry with his legal issues. However, should he beat Pac, Floyd would cement himself as possibly the best ever. I don't blame him for not wanting to fight Paul Williams or Margarito in the past, but come on dude, its a no-brainer. EVERYONE wants to see it. Just make it happen!

Sooo..does America care about the Haye vs Kllitschko fight tonight?

Because we over here in England do. Cannot wait for this fight..Haye to win by KO in the 6th.

i have khan, too.

martinez is still behind pacquiao, but neither pacquiao or mayweather want to fight him. martinez has said a few different times he'd drop the weight for either of those matches.

I'd like to see Martinez fight either of those guys. It probably would be more likely that he

fight Mayweather than Pacquiao. I don't think Bob Arum would let Martinez anywhere near him.

Also off topic, I think Pacquiao should take the tests. I know there isn't any valid reason why he should but

I've heard different excuses and it makes me question him just a little. I'm not saying Mayweather

didn't use the testing as a means to get out of it but the fact of the matter is, is that PEDs and

steroids are everywhere in sports. He should just take the test then beat the shit out of Mayweather.

Anyway, I like Khan by decision.

And I really want to see Froch vs Ward.

Fuck no, it wasn't a sucker punch.

#1 rule: Protect yourself at all times. First thing I yelled when Mayweather knocked out Ortiz.

Ortiz delivered an obviously deliberate headbutt, tried passing it off as an accident, and apologized profusely. Joe Cortez said "fight on" and signaled the time keeper. WHY Ortiz tried apologizing again and came back out unprotected is a mystery to me. Mayweather came out with his hands up, and Ortiz didn't, that's it. Mayweather did absolutely nothing illegal.

Three buddies and I got free tickets to Hopkins vs Dawson tonight. INCREDIBLY stoked to see B-Hop fight!

That's awesome I'm going to the panthers home opener so I won't be watching. Anyone care that Badr Hari is quitting kickboxing to box? With his shit defense I see him getting KTFO'd by any decent HW, but seriously Kimbo being the first hw boxer to be shown on ESPN in a while is sad man how the HW division has crumbled.

Edited by Bacon Destroy

Fuck no, it wasn't a sucker punch.

#1 rule: Protect yourself at all times. First thing I yelled when Mayweather knocked out Ortiz.

Ortiz delivered an obviously deliberate headbutt, tried passing it off as an accident, and apologized profusely. Joe Cortez said "fight on" and signaled the time keeper. WHY Ortiz tried apologizing again and came back out unprotected is a mystery to me. Mayweather came out with his hands up, and Ortiz didn't, that's it. Mayweather did absolutely nothing illegal.

disagree.

any fight fan knows there's an unwritten rule about touching gloves. mayweather violated it by not giving ortiz any time to reset. when MMA fighters walk to the center of the octagon and touch gloves at the beginning of a round or after a nut shot, they do the same thing. when you one-two a dude in the sweet spot a fraction of a second after your gloves touch, it's a cheap shot.

pacquiao this weekend. i think he has it in the sixth round and marquez gets knocked down at least once before.