BNBG

The Official Workout Thread

934 posts in this topic

Is it true it takes less effort to maintain a weight loss than it does to achieve one?

It feels true for me, but I think most of it is probably just because I am in the habit of eating much healthier now. So even when I pig out a little, it's still better than I was eating when I was fat.

Unrelated - I almost got stuck under the bar for the first time while benching today. Still recovering from an injury and one side is way weaker than the other. Going to stick w/ dumbbells for awhile.

<br>It feels true for me, but I think most of it is probably just because I am in the habit of eating much healthier now.&nbsp;&nbsp;So even when I pig out a little, it's still better than I was eating when I was fat.

Unrelated - I almost got stuck under the bar for the first time while benching today.&nbsp;&nbsp;Still recovering from an injury and one side is way weaker than the other.&nbsp;&nbsp;Going to stick w/ dumbbells for awhile.<br>

I'm not sure dumb bells will help with your whole one side is weaker thing. Using a barbell, you can see pretty easily (especially if you have a spotter) when you're allowing one side to do less work. It'd be harder to tell with dumb bells. Maybe? I don't know. In terms of getting stuck under the bar there are three things you can do:

1. Get a spotter. Ask someone at your gym to spot you. The worst thing they can say is "no". Just don't&nbsp;interrupt&nbsp;anyone who looks particularly "into" what they're doing.

2. Set pins just above your head. Not all benches will allow you to do it, but normally they either allow you to slot in extra pins or already have them

3. Don't put safety clasps on the barbell. If you do then end up with a bar wrapped around your neck, all you have to do is let the bar fall to one side or the other and the plates can just fall off. You'll still look like a tool, but you won't choke to death.

I've been there, I put more weight on the bar than I could handle and when I lifted it off it pretty much just dropped straight to my chest. Luckily the guy next to me was on a break and saw me. Lame :)

Also, can someone point me in the direction of a good exercise / food log type journal thing?

So 24 hr fitness is having a promotion where you get 3 training sessions for 130. Is this worth it or could I find a work out program and nutrition info online easily? I'm basically trying to drop 30 pounds by summer.

you won't learn anything that you can't learn for free, and i'm willing to be some stuff you DO learn will be bullshit, but if it serves as motivation or something go for it.

Also, can someone point me in the direction of a good exercise / food log type journal thing?

I used fitday.com quite a bit when I was keeping track of calories and whatnot. I liked it, but it's the only one I've used so I'm not sure how it compares to others.

you won't learn anything that you can't learn for free, and i'm willing to be some stuff you DO learn will be bullshit, but if it serves as motivation or something go for it.

any tips/ sites then? I've done interval running in the past and that seemed to work. I just need to know more about weights. Not really trying to get ripped or toned, I'm just trying to get my metabolism up and lose some weight.

whole cucumbers with the skin is a real treat now

Post pics ;)

I need to get my ass back to the gym, I've just been doing push-ups and pull-ups/chin-ups/whatever the past month.

My cheat foods are:

Grapes

Wait what. I thought I did well by having fruit for breakfast, guess I'll have to change type. Why would you consider grapes cheating, and not other fruits? Highest calories per gram or something?

any tips/ sites then? I've done interval running in the past and that seemed to work. I just need to know more about weights. Not really trying to get ripped or toned, I'm just trying to get my metabolism up and lose some weight.

ya basically approach weights the same way as interval running. look up tabata.

if you drop carbs, drink lots of water and spread your calorie intake throughout the day, do sprints/tabata and do some big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, benches, chinups, rows, military press), you should be on the path to success. Always expect it to take long, but KNOW THAT IT WILL WORK.

I would recommend doing the sprints/tabata 2 or 3 times a week, and lift 3 times a week, preferably on separate days.

You don't need to do either of these for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Wait what. I thought I did well by having fruit for breakfast, guess I'll have to change type. Why would you consider grapes cheating, and not other fruits? Highest calories per gram or something?

i don't know if you are saying that is ALL you eat for breakfast, but it's definitely a good policy to have a breakfast with some substance - eggs and wheat bread along with fruit, yogurt, oats, granola, etc... stuff like that

i've never heard of grapes as a cheat food either and personally think that's ridiculous.

btw, whatever reasoning (i'm assuming simple sugars) they were given to be unhealthy doesn't really apply to breakfast. if there's anytime other than peri workout fast sugars are pretty harmless it's breakfast.

haha just do what you^ wanna do, eat right, work out regularly, and everything else will fall into place. don't worry about the little details - get the foundation set first.

Is it ok to take a nap after the gym? I'm really out of shape and just getting started again so I'm exhausted after a work out. Does taking a nap lower my endurance or slow my metabolism?

If your body wants rest, then let it rest. Remember, your body is most anabolic (growth oriented) while you sleep, I can't see how that would be a bad thing.

ya basically approach weights the same way as interval running. look up tabata.

if you drop carbs, drink lots of water and spread your calorie intake throughout the day, do sprints/tabata and do some big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, benches, chinups, rows, military press), you should be on the path to success. Always expect it to take long, but KNOW THAT IT WILL WORK.

I would recommend doing the sprints/tabata 2 or 3 times a week, and lift 3 times a week, preferably on separate days.

You don't need to do either of these for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Isn't tabata basically HIIT training?

I almost got stuck under the bar for the first time while benching today. Still recovering from an injury and one side is way weaker than the other. Going to stick w/ dumbbells for awhile.

If your gym has a smith machine you might try doing the flat bench with that until your injury heals. You could also use a squat cage and set the safety bars just above your chest just in case you can't get the weight back up. If all else fails, just ask someone to spot you. I wouldn't recommend lifting heavy weights with an injured arm/chest though.

EVERYTHING you need to know you can find over at www.bodybuilding.com

When I have a question I usually go to Google and type in "my question site:forum.bodybuilding.com" and find all kinds of relevant information. There are some really knowledgeable people over there.

Check out their bodyspace and browse the profiles for motivation and to see how they accomplished what they did. Also, keep a workout log so that you can chart your progress, that is very motivating. For example, when I started running 5 months ago I ran 1 mile in 8:10 and could not run more than about 1.5 miles. Now I can run 3 miles in around 20:00 or 1 mile in about 6:15. I tracked my progress and saw my gains, this was very motivating for me.

Sorry, I should have elaborated. Grapes are very good for you and certainly no worse than other fruits, but anything in excess can be a problem in your diet. I consider anything which I indulge in and has potential to take up a disproportionate amount of my daily caloric intake to be a "cheat" food. On occasion this definition may cover grapes.

i don't know if you are saying that is ALL you eat for breakfast, but it's definitely a good policy to have a breakfast with some substance - eggs and wheat bread along with fruit, yogurt, oats, granola, etc... stuff like that

Unfortunately, I was saying that. School starts tomorrow so I can plan my diet better. I usually end up having carbs at 7pm so I was just going to cut them out of the rest of the day. Pretty sure I read I'm good if 20% of my calorie intake is carbs. I haven't looked at much of the nutritional values of each food but my diet will be something like this:

7am - Grapes (fruit) & something else (yoghurt maybe?)

10am - Some sort of snack (fruit & rivita or something similar)

1pm - Tuna/chicken salad

4pm - Snack

7pm - Big dinner. Usually something like bolognese.

10pm - I don't know what I should be eating(if anything)before I work out.

I always work out at around 10pm and go to bed at 12pm. Think I read somewhere about food being digested/metabolism dropping after 3 hours so. I still feel like I'm missing something though. I guess I'll get enough protein from lunch and dinner, but I don't know about fibre and others. It looks like there's not enough veg there, but I can't really say without knowing what nutrients I'm missing. I need to learn to make more types of food.

/thinking out loud

椎名林檎,

Your carb intake should be MUCH higher than 20% of your daily caloric intake. For instance, if you were consuming 2,000 calories per day, 20% from carbohydrates would only be 100 grams. You would probably be better off eating more like 200-300 grams of carbs each day.

Remember to multiply fat grams by 9, carbs and protein by 4 to figure out their percentage of your diet.

There is a great thread over at bodybuilding.com about fat loss from a guy who knows what he's doing. His advice is simple and effective. One bit of advice he gives is not to worry about when you should eat carbs, fats, or protein during the day.

http://forum.bodybui...php?t=113693871

You also said you're not sure if you should be eating anything before you workout. You should eat some complex carbohydrates since your body wants fuel to burn during your workout. Also, it's a good idea to consume protein before and after a workout, though it's not like you need to be eating steak.

i don't know where music saves is getting his info, but sleeping is catabolic. you're not eating for 8 hours pretty much, that's why they call it "breakfast", because you're breaking a fast. so eat clean proteins like yogurt (greek is my favorite) or a clean shake before bed if you want to stay anabolic. also, after your workout, you need to consume complex sugars, this will stimulate insulin response and make you anabolic. about half an hour after, you want to consume your protein shake; you should wait so that your body can clear out stress hormones from your system that have been released during your workout- this will make your shake more effective. then eat a meal. vegetables and meat are key. i eat complex carbs throughout the day. breakfast is also key. you need proteins and complex carbs; protein to break your fast and complex carbs that will burn slow throughout the day and give you energy. try to eat frequently, in small portions, every 3-4 hours. protein with every meal. your carb intake should be highest around the time you workout (before and after) and in the morning (breakfast). if you want to lose fat, i recommend a fish oil supplement. t-nation has a good one called flameout, it's natural and highly refined; i take half the dose because it's so potent. a multivitamin is also key; i get a natural multivitamin that's free of metals (like iron) from a company called rainbow light. natural is my mantra, so try to get most of your nutrients from fruits, vegetables, meats and other natural foods; not so much supplements. also drink water constantly, start carrying around a nalgene or something that you can measure; i have a liter nalgene bottle and a liter beer mug that i use to measure my water intake. you want about 4 liters a day. there are other small things you can do even when you're not working out (take the stairs instead of the elevator, stand at the office instead of sit in a chair). and personally, i don't think bodybuilding.com is that great of a site; there are a lot of people on there who don't know what they're talking about. the guys at t-nation.com seem to know more about the science, though they're a little intense on the supplements and roiding and shit like that, you can choose what you read. they have some really knowledgeable folks on there that train athletes and know the science well. take a look.

Chipz,

Your muscles don't grow while you exercise, in fact, just the opposite, they are torn apart. Throughout the day your body cycles through different hormonal periods which are either catabolic, or anabolic. During sleep, your body is more anabolic than at any other time of the day. Scientists still have not been able to explain why we need so much sleep except that the body heals and grows more during that period than at any other time. Many body builders consume casein protein (dairy products) before bedtime, not after, because it is slow to metabolize (it takes around eight hours to metabolize casein, as opposed to two for whey protein which is the other component of milk) and in theory, the body makes use of it all night long. If you want to break the protein fast you experienced while sleeping you would really be better off eating egg whites or whey protein because they metabolize much faster with a BV of 100+. To me though, those are mostly just theories and numbers on paper. The body is a much more complicated and sophisticated machine than most give it credit for. If it needs bigger, stronger muscles, it knows how to build them, we don't need to do much more than give it good nutrients and incentive to grow. At what time you eat which nutrient really is not of much importance, unless you plan to look like Ronnie Coleman. What matters is that you consume the necessary nutrients at all.

The guy in the forum post I mentioned before makes it pretty clear just how easy it is to lose fat. It does not require supplements, ratios, timing, or anything else which might become so complicated it could deter people from actually exercising and watching their diet. To have a deficit you must simply consume less fuel than you are burning. To build muscle you must give your body plenty of protein, and it does not matter if it is plant protein or animal protein contrary to popular belief. If you eat from a wide variety of foods your body will derive the essential amino acids from other foods or through a sophisticated conversion process.

If you don't believe me that sleep is anabolic, here is proof:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3076707/

http://www.bodybuild...om/fun/md21.htm

Chipz,

Your muscles don't grow while you exercise, in fact, just the opposite, they are torn apart. Throughout the day your body cycles through different hormonal periods which are either catabolic, or anabolic. During sleep, your body is more anabolic than at any other time of the day. Scientists still have not been able to explain why we need so much sleep except that the body heals and grows more during that period than at any other time. Many body builders consume casein protein (dairy products) before bedtime, not after, because it is slow to metabolize (it takes around eight hours to metabolize casein, as opposed to two for whey protein which is the other component of milk) and in theory, the body makes use of it all night long. If you want to break the protein fast you experienced while sleeping you would really be better off eating egg whites or whey protein because they metabolize much faster with a BV of 100+. To me though, those are mostly just theories and numbers on paper. The body is a much more complicated and sophisticated machine than most give it credit for. If it needs bigger, stronger muscles, it knows how to build them, we don't need to do much more than give it good nutrients and incentive to grow. At what time you eat which nutrient really is not of much importance, unless you plan to look like Ronnie Coleman. What matters is that you consume the necessary nutrients at all.

The guy in the forum post I mentioned before makes it pretty clear just how easy it is to lose fat. It does not require supplements, ratios, timing, or anything else which might become so complicated it could deter people from actually exercising and watching their diet. To have a deficit you must simply consume less fuel than you are burning. To build muscle you must give your body plenty of protein, and it does not matter if it is plant protein or animal protein contrary to popular belief. If you eat from a wide variety of foods your body will derive the essential amino acids from other foods or through a sophisticated conversion process.

If you don't believe me that sleep is anabolic, here is proof:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3076707/

http://www.bodybuild...om/fun/md21.htm

i was wrong about sleep not being an anabolic period. but you need protein before bed if you want to stay anabolic, or you will basically be fasting during sleep, which will become catabolic. that's what i was saying. i agree with you that casein is good before bed, but you need to continue protein intake after you wake up, it's just common sense. and i don't believe i ever said the exercise period was anabolic. the timing thing is easy to implement, i don't know why you'd ever avoid that. all you have to do is consume some sugars after you workout and eat some protein too, it's not hard and your body will respond well. also, animal products contain the essential amino acids in substantial amounts, while plant based foods may not, so it's good to get both. i'm assuming whoever is asking the diet questions wants to see results as soon as possible, and there are a few things that you can do timing-and-diet-wise that will give extended benefits without much effort.

really though, for a beginner, consistency (diet-wise and exercise-wise) will give you the fastest and most desired results.

@Music Saves - Cheers. That was very helpful :) I guess the small amount of cardio I do, and pushups 3 times a week to replace weights, will be enough exercise. Don't know if I can be arsed with counting out proteins and fats but we'll see. I'm just going to focus on having less calories. Not looking to bulk up because I can't afford a gym membership.

If I'm consuming less calories than I need, wouldn't that mean I'd be hungry a lot? Or is hunger not the bodies response to a need for more energy?

Hunger is the ghost of a fat kid trying to trick you into failing.

DO NOT listen to your body. The fact is, food should only be fuel for your workout. If you're not working out on a certain day, then you don't eat that day. You didn't earn it, you don't deserve it.

lol^

so, since i got back from europe about 2 months ago, i stopped pushing my body really hard with my workouts. i have been really busy and my workout time has been scattered and more inconsistent. i still work out 3-4x a week but some weeks i wont get a chance to go for 3-4 days in a row and things get thrown off as a result of my schedule.

as such, i can longer adequately "add 5lbs" each session like i used to when i was going on a regular routine. instead of doing the 3 reps 8 sets and going up to my max weight, i just throw on a weight i can pump out 10 reps and do 4 sets like that.

for example, on bench, i maxed at 195 3-4 reps and now i'm doing 135 and 155 8 reps and 2 sets at each weight.

this is also good to tear the most muscle fibers possible and get a more filled in look also.

i've been doing that with most of my exercises now until i can get a more regular routine. but once i do, i'm still gonna start moving toward doing 5+ reps per set now and doing less weight but more explosion