BNBG

The Official Workout Thread

934 posts in this topic

Finally figured out what's been holding back my squat progress - lack of a neutral head position. The last couple of weeks I've been keeping my head inline with my spine - slightly towards the floor - instead of straight ahead in to the mirror. I feel much more sturdy at the bottom, pushing out of the hole (lol). 3 workouts in a row now of steady increases.

And on that note, just as I've been settling in to a real groove at the gym do they go and close for 4 days over thanksgiving.

!#%*%#?!!!!

I've lost about 65 pounds since 3 years ago. Miraculous things happen when you quit World of Warcraft and actually take a look in the mirror.

Having said that, back to Skyrim.

My left wrist hurts pretty bad when I bench press or do push ups. I don't think my left arm is just weak because this just happened recently. Could I have damaged my wrist or is it just weak? It doesn't hurt at all if I'm not benching.

My left wrist hurts pretty bad when I bench press or do push ups. I don't think my left arm is just weak because this just happened recently. Could I have damaged my wrist or is it just weak? It doesn't hurt at all if I'm not benching.

Sometimes mine hurts when doing push ups but i think its more of a carpal tunnel symptom cause it feels like a stinging from the inside of the middle of my palm. Your pain is probably just growth pain, as your arms begin to stabilize the weight better your forearms should start getting stronger and the pain in your wrists eventually go away.

I mean, just a guess based on your generalized post...

What do you guys think of a meal containing the following:

Energy: 1705kJ

Energy: 404kcal

Protein: 28.7g

Carbohydrate: 50.5g

(of which sugars): 9.2g

Fat: 8.2g

(of which saturates): 1.94g

Fibre: 7.0g

Sodium: 0.3g

Ha loving the use of kilo Joules.

Honestly dude, that says nothing about the quality of the food you're eating. I could probably whip up those macros at McDonald's if I tried, so it's really about what you're eating. And honestly, I just ate 3 bowls of cereal with chocolate milk and a few scoops of brotein clocking in around 1000 calories (on a cut) so that's more like a snack, especially if you're trying to bulk.

Ha loving the use of kilo Joules.

Honestly dude, that says nothing about the quality of the food you're eating. I could probably whip up those macros at McDonald's if I tried, so it's really about what you're eating. And honestly, I just ate 3 bowls of cereal with chocolate milk and a few scoops of brotein clocking in around 1000 calories (on a cut) so that's more like a snack, especially if you're trying to bulk.

The reason why i ask is because my diet out here is far from consistent; myprotein, a uk based company has just launched a small line of ready meals....yes ready meals : / http://www.myprotein...ts/sports-meals - i'm looking at the Chicken & Vegetable Pasta one. It actually looks fairly decent:

Wheat Pasta Shells (29%), Chopped Tomatoes (Tomato, Tomato Juice, Citric Acid), Cooked Diced Chicken (12%), Onions (12%), Chicken Stock, Tomato Puree, Mixed Bell Pepper (7%), Cheddar Cheese, Cornflour, Brown Rice Protein, Vegetable Oil, Herb Mix (Oregano, Summer Savory, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram), Garlic, Black Pepper, Salt.

Not sure about the vegetable oil, but it seems a lot healthier than the fried stuff i'm eating out here. It should fit quite nicely between my lunch and dinner. Don't get me wrong, i could easily cook this stuff back home but i don't even have a kitchen here! I eat out every single day, which is great but i don't want to think about how much msg my body is consuming on a daily basis!

Edited by Michael

Maybe I'm being paranoid but I need some advice.

I'm really happy with where my body is physically right now. My weight and muscle mass is good. But I really want some more lower body strength. Sometimes when I'm lifting from the legs I have a hard time with heavier stuff.

The only thing is I have already spent a lot on jeans and pants that fit me really well so I don't want to gain a lot of size in my legs.

Is there any way I can gain strength without a lot of muscle mass added on? Or is this basically impossible?

Edited by AC Slater

Daaaamn, I seriously need to begin a strict jogging and running regimen to lose some pounds. I'm getting gelatinous and gaining unpleasant girth in my midsection. Fuhhhhhhhh

Edited by optimistic

I recently went through Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" and have decided to start the program. I've never done the dead lift or the military press, and since I'm obsessed with proper form at this early stage of the program, I wanted to ask about weight belts and/or back braces. During the dead lift my technique is good for the second half of the lift, but I'm concerned about keeping my back straight during the first half. I'm not sure if it's because my hips are a little too high when I start the pull or if I don't have enough of an arch in my lower back, but it doesn't feel quite right. I've watched a million videos and read a million descriptions of proper technique, but I was wondering if dead lifting with a weight belt or back brace, even at relatively low weight, might be a good idea just to get the correct feel for the lift. Does that make sense? The same goes for the military press. During that lift, when I bend slightly at the knees in order to move my torso back (this is the initial movement in the lift, when raising the bar past the chin), I'm worried about hyper extending my lower back. That last sentence will make more sense if you watch this video from 2:30 on:

Also, a quick question about the squat: I've always squatted with the bar resting on my traps. Yesterday I tried moving the bar more behind my traps and supporting it with my arms, and the bar path felt more correct:

Sometimes when I squat with the bar resting on the top of my traps, there's a slight strain on my lower back at the very end of the lift. With the bar in the position it's in in the above video, this strain is completely gone. Thoughts?

Edited by chase

On the squat - I always squat with a pretty low bar position...maybe a little more than a third of the way down my shoulder blades. I keep my hands in as tight as is comfortable and my elbows back and as high up as I can get them (again, comfortably), which is what helps keep the bar from rolling off my back. BUT, you do not support the weight at all with your hands, only to keep it from rolling around. Your back should be the only thing actually supporting the weight, if that makes sense. Again, elbows up helps keep the bar in position.

For the press, it's okay to have some flexing of the spine. "Some" being the operative word. If you squeeze your glutes and your abs simultaneously, it'll take a lot of the pressure off your spine and give you more power. You should be doing both of those things through the entire motion of the lift.

The deadlift trouble your having is also completely understandable. The best advice is to try and record yourself if you can and judge from that, or of course have a spotter check your back angle. The best tip I learned for starting position begins with the bar starting half-way underneath your foot when staring straight down at it (which I'm sure you've read a thousand times already), pretty close to your shin. Then you bend down at the hip and knee, until your shins hit the bar, to grab it. Where your shins hit the bar should be your starting hip position. It's probably a higher starting position than you think. The idea is that you start the lift as taught as possible before the bar ever even leaves the ground. As long as you also keep your chest as high as possible, your back should be okay.

Anybody can feel free to tell me how wrong I am....but that's worked pretty well for me. I'm up to deadlifting twice my bodyweight so far without a belt. You don't need a belt.

Edited by JayG

Which accessory lifts do you guys use for squats? The leg press machine is always being used by assholes who are afraid to squat at my gym. Starting Strength recommends box squats and half squats, but I want something that will recruit muscles in a different way than the basic mechanics for the squat. I've considered front squats since it seems like a leg press is basically an approximation of that lift anyways, but I've never done them before. Thoughts?

Squats frustrate the hell out of me--it's my only main lift that isn't shooting up right now.

The tricky thing about deadlifts is that it seems like the bar will hit your shins when you lift, but they won't. Like JayG said, get your shins right up to the bar, they'll move away as you lift.

Also, the advice to keep the chest high is good. Our spine is a bit like a crane, the spinal column can handle tremendous amounts of vertical weight, but it's not so good at handling huge offset loads. Because of this, the spinal erectors pull back on the spinal column as its arched, much like the crane in the image below. This is why you must keep your back arched at all times, weight at the top of the spine at an offset can multiply by a factor of 7 at the bottom of the spine (300 lbs is like 2100 lbs in some instances!).

4754_Mantis_36m.jpg

@JayG: Congrats on doubling your BW on the DL!

@Chase: Doing anything in addition to squats may actually cause your improvement to slow even further. What do you have against the basic mechanics of the squat? This is one of the body's most fundamental movements!

Daaaamn, I seriously need to begin a strict jogging and running regimen to lose some pounds. I'm getting gelatinous and gaining unpleasant girth in my midsection. Fuhhhhhhhh

Try Insanity, you'll shed pounds quickly and build up tremendous stamina.

Edited by Music Saves

yeah, honestly I don't do do ANY accessory lifts for the squat. I just....squat. 5x5's. 2-3 times a week.

except for this nagging hamstring that's been bothering me for about a week and a half which has stopped me from really being able to push myself. So damn annoying.

I do 5x5s on my bench, squat, and deadlift. On my bench days I also do a 3x5 incline, and 3x10 dips. On my deadlift days I do 3x10 rows and 3x10 assisted chin-ups (I'm incrediby weak in this area). I'm starting my sets 10lbs higher almost every week for my bench and deadlift, but my squat isn't going up as fast. Since I'm doing accessory lifts on all of my other days, I'm wondering if that isn't the reason my squat isn't improving as quickly.

One of the problems is likely that I switched to low bar squats last week, which I'm not quite as familiar with. I've also been going through the Starting Strength book, so I'm making little adjustments week to week to my stance width and the way my knees track during the lift. (Still, the latter is true for my deadlift as well, but it continues to go up.)

edit: I also have a nagging back injury on the lower right side of my back. For some reason it hasn't affected my deadlifts at all, but today it ruined my squat halfway through my third set. I have an appointment with a sports massage therapist, but I have a feeling I'll have to take a break from squats and deadlifts.

Edited by chase

Are you doing Madcow 5x5 by chance? I've exploded on that program, in 10 weeks my lifts are up 25-35%

I *was* doing the stronglifts 5x5 (which I hear is similar, although I've never seen the Madcow program) regularly for about 2-3 months or so and saw great progress with it. Then school started in again and my schedule hasn't been nearly as regimented, so now I'm just doing what I can when I can.

I'll have to check out that Madcow business though.

and Chase...if you're doing accessory lifts on off-days for your squat, that's generally a bad idea. Those rest days for your legs are really important. Your deadlift SHOULD be increasing much faster than your squat, no question (although it sounds like your squat is stalling completely, which could be over-training).

Edited by JayG

No, I meant I'm doing accessory lifts for my bench and deadlift on the days I do those lifts. I don't do any accessory lifts for my squats.

Edited by chase