BNBG

The Official Workout Thread

934 posts in this topic

@Music Saves - Cheers. That was very helpful :) I guess the small amount of cardio I do, and pushups 3 times a week to replace weights, will be enough exercise. Don't know if I can be arsed with counting out proteins and fats but we'll see. I'm just going to focus on having less calories. Not looking to bulk up because I can't afford a gym membership.

If I'm consuming less calories than I need, wouldn't that mean I'd be hungry a lot? Or is hunger not the bodies response to a need for more energy?

Glad I could help. :)

The key to losing weight is to reduce your caloric intake only slightly. You should never reduce your caloric intake by more than 15% as this will actually force your body into starvation mode.

As an example, I need 3,500 calories to maintain my body weight with my current activity level, body composition, age, gender, and size. I am currently on a diet of 3,200 calories with the goal of losing 2 lbs of fat per month while gaining muscle.

One pound of fat contains 3,600 calories. A deficit of 300 calories over 12 days should be equal to one pound of fat burned in theory, though it never works out quite that cleanly in the real world.

A good way to track your daily food intake is to use the Livestrong Myplate application here: http://www.livestron.../users/myplate/

It's quick and easy.

creatine + deadlifting + heavy squatting = 5 lb gained in one week w/ fat drop while cutting.

INSANITY

Yes, but you won't maintain those gains beyond the first 1-2 weeks obviously, once your muscles are saturated after the initial load.

A good way to track your daily food intake is to use the Livestrong Myplate application here: http://www.livestron.../users/myplate/

It's quick and easy.

Is this accurate? I mean, the food seems accurate but it has 'jogging in place' down as 871cals/hr, and jogging in general as 762cals/hr

This is what I've had today, and what I'm having most days from 7am-2pm....apparently I still need another 2000 cals to reach my daily allowance, and thats without working out.

Cals 21%

Fat 9%

Cholesterol 1%

Sodium 2%

Carbs 25%

Fibre 22%

Protein 42%

I'm eating out tonight at a tapas bar so I'll end up with a lot of cals from that. I'd guess around 1000 but really I have no idea. I'll have to add it up when I get back and see what this thing says. If I'm right, I'll still need another 1000 and there's no way I'd get that from snacks.

Thinking about dropping my gym membership for cross fit. Thoughts?

if you're doing crossfit because its the cool new thing you heard about: dumb. don't do it, it's more expensive than a gym.

if you're doing it because you like crossfit workouts and they're the only thing that's keeping you in the gym and healthy: go right ahead...something's better than nothing.

Also...

MORNING WORKOUTS FTW

adam, i want to try to get my ass in the gym early before work, but I don't know if I like the idea of lifting heavy weights having only consumed breakfast.

What do you usually do for breakfast and how much time do you give yourself to digest before heading to the gym?

if you're doing crossfit because its the cool new thing you heard about: dumb. don't do it, it's more expensive than a gym.

if you're doing it because you like crossfit workouts and they're the only thing that's keeping you in the gym and healthy: go right ahead...something's better than nothing.

Also...

MORNING WORKOUTS FTW

How is it more expensive than a gym? I have a pull up bar, low row thingies, and jump ropes and have been able to do 75% of the workouts I found. I actually feel it the next day too. The reason I'm considering it is because it's cheaper and I can do it in my own backyard.

adam, i want to try to get my ass in the gym early before work, but I don't know if I like the idea of lifting heavy weights having only consumed breakfast.

What do you usually do for breakfast and how much time do you give yourself to digest before heading to the gym?

That was a concern of mine as well...but mostly to keep my joints healthy and not lift before I was awake.

My morning routine is:

615am - up, 3g acetyl l-carnitine

715am - 4 eggs w/ hollandaise, cheese

730am - pre-workout drink: 5g bcaa, 2g citrulline malate, 4g arginine, 1 can of sugar-free red bull (if im really tired)

745-830am - workout

845am - post-workout drink - 1 scoop protein, vitamin c, 3g l-carnitine

I felt awesome. Not too full, no stress on the joints...you need at LEAST an hour, ideally 3 before you work out in the morning.

How is it more expensive than a gym? I have a pull up bar, low row thingies, and jump ropes and have been able to do 75% of the workouts I found. I actually feel it the next day too. The reason I'm considering it is because it's cheaper and I can do it in my own backyard.

I think he's referring to a Crossfit gym. A big part of the "movement" is that these gyms have popped up where they do the workout together every day, under constant supervision. Crossfit gyms are pricey. It's like a constant personal trainer. My home gym membership is 45 a month, or 100 a month for a crossfit membership.

Finally moving to an area that has a cheap but well equipped gym for only $30 a month; i've been paying $100 a month at this gym near my girlfriends house and it's the cheapest in the area! At least poor/rough areas of London have cheap gyms :)

I think he's referring to a Crossfit gym. A big part of the "movement" is that these gyms have popped up where they do the workout together every day, under constant supervision. Crossfit gyms are pricey. It's like a constant personal trainer. My home gym membership is 45 a month, or 100 a month for a crossfit membership.

Ah I see I didn't even realize they had crossfit gyms. I pay $30 a month for my gym membership and no way would I pay $100 for crossfit membership.

I bought a 3 year pass to 24hour fitness for $450 up front... $12.50/month but now that I'm about to start with Yelp they give me a $50-60 subsidy toward the gym of my choice.... well guess buying that 3 year membership was a bit premature.

Is this accurate? I mean, the food seems accurate but it has 'jogging in place' down as 871cals/hr, and jogging in general as 762cals/hr

This is what I've had today, and what I'm having most days from 7am-2pm....apparently I still need another 2000 cals to reach my daily allowance, and thats without working out.

Cals 21%

Fat 9%

Cholesterol 1%

Sodium 2%

Carbs 25%

Fibre 22%

Protein 42%

I'm eating out tonight at a tapas bar so I'll end up with a lot of cals from that. I'd guess around 1000 but really I have no idea. I'll have to add it up when I get back and see what this thing says. If I'm right, I'll still need another 1000 and there's no way I'd get that from snacks.

I don't know how accurate it is, because I don't use it. I use a pen and paper, but I've heard good things about that application. The reason I recommended it was because it seemed easy to use.

I believe it would be possible to burn 861 calories in one hour jogging in place if you do it with enough intensity. I don't know why actual jogging would be less, especially since it never establishes the intensity at which you may perform either activity. I usually burn 1,200 calories per hour when I jog, being 203 lbs. at 9 mph. At least, that's what the treadmill says I burn, but there is a lot of variation between machines. When I bike I'm capable of burning 1,500 calories per hour, so I believe those numbers it gives are easily achieved.

Quick question, what gyms to you guys go to and how much are the rates?

I joined a professional organization that gives me a discount to Washington Sports Clubs (They also run New York Sports Clubs and Boston Sports Clubs) and with the discount it's about $60. I think other clubs are a little less, but not as good.

So I started going to Kung Fu this week. Really good time, some of the guys were dicks but most of them were really sound guys, and very welcoming. BUT, I'm very, very sore, swollen hands. It's given me a really good upper body work out, as well as my ass. Is there anything I can do for sore muscles other than bananas, fish oil and not being a pussy? It's meant that I've been too sore to go to the gym to lift weight the past two days, but I guess I'll get used to it. Anyone else here lift weights and do martial arts? What does your week look like?

Also, an online supplement store is doing this stuff over half price. But is it just a load of crap?

My linky

I don't know how accurate it is, because I don't use it. I use a pen and paper, but I've heard good things about that application. The reason I recommended it was because it seemed easy to use.

I believe it would be possible to burn 861 calories in one hour jogging in place if you do it with enough intensity. I don't know why actual jogging would be less, especially since it never establishes the intensity at which you may perform either activity. I usually burn 1,200 calories per hour when I jog, being 203 lbs. at 9 mph. At least, that's what the treadmill says I burn, but there is a lot of variation between machines. When I bike I'm capable of burning 1,500 calories per hour, so I believe those numbers it gives are easily achieved.

Yeah I've got the hang of it now. It's pretty neat. Not paying too much attention to the exercise values. I think they are input by users and none of them have "verfified" like some of the foods do. I've changed the activity option to light, might go back up one. I do about 1 hour walking each day to, from, and around campus but I'm seated for the rest of the day (excluding exercise in the evening) so I'm not really sure. There's a 500 cal difference between the two activity options. I bought some scales today and I was 30lbs under what I thought I weighed so I guess I must have lost a little weight over summer without noticing. My concern now is that I think I've dropped a waist size in 2-3 weeks and I don't know how much weight that is. Have a feeling its too fast though. I won't be able to find out until I weigh myself again in a week though. I'll change the activity option on the calorie calculator when I know this.

Also, an online supplement store is doing this stuff over half price. But is it just a load of crap?

My linky

Never heard of the brand. Don't know what your budget is, but i highly recommend PhD Pharma Whey.

I think my right tricep is fucked up.

Every time I do presses, or any chest type press really, I feel the spot between my right elbow and my right tricep start to hurt after like 4 sets.

I tried giving it a break for 3 weeks. Then I started back. 4-5 sets in...ouch. Every time I do a rep it hurts in that one spot.

I don't know what to do.

in a word? Yes.

in two words: fuck yes.

your posterior chain is made of up some of the most important muscles in your body. work them and you will enjoy good posture and overall back health. get on those deadlifts, rows, and pull ups.

they are compound movements that will help you burn a ton of calories during the workout, and help put on muscle fast which will help raise your metabolism.