BNBG

The Official Workout Thread

934 posts in this topic

What don't you like about it?

EDIT: The link I posted provides a spectrum of foods you should eat often to foods you should mostly avoid for each food group, including spices, oils, etc.  It's a very simple rubric for anyone who's trying to lose fat. 

Edited by chase

Red meat over chicken/turkey- grass fed red meat still contains fat, much more than chicken/turkey

Paleo seems to put too much of an emphasis on calorie-intake and not enough on nutrition.

BEANS-  come on, beans are high in protein and low in fat.  Sure, some people have a hard time digesting them but they won't hurt you and shouldn't be considered foods to "avoid".  Plus, beans are cheap/affordable.  

Stevia or artificial sweeteners over natural sweets such as honey and agave nectar-  Stevia may be from a plant, but it's just as processed as table sugar or cocaine.  Nothing should be taken out of it's natural form.  

Mushrooms are bad?

Beets are bad?

Bananas?

Pomegranate? 

Red meat over chicken/turkey- grass fed red meat still contains fat, much more than chicken/turkey

That isn't about fat intake though.  His point is that red meat is more nutrient-dense than chicken and turkey.  Healthy fats are fine to eat.

Paleo seems to put too much of an emphasis on calorie-intake and not enough on nutrition.

I should point out that the link I cited has losing weight in a healthy and sustainable manner without exercising as its main emphasis, and not necessarily perfect holistic nutrition.  But I disagree with you.  Paleo is a very general approach to dieting, and the books I've read that explain it avoid making explicit recommendations on macronutrient ratios and caloric goals.

BEANS-  come on, beans are high in protein and low in fat.  Sure, some people have a hard time digesting them but they won't hurt you and shouldn't be considered foods to "avoid".  Plus, beans are cheap/affordable.  

There is evidence that links the consumption of beans to unhealthy inflammation in the body and stresses on the digestive system.  And good nutrition isn't just about avoiding things that "hurt" you in a way that suddenly manifests as some injury or medical condition; it's also about eating the foods that make you feel and perform the best.  For me, beans don't jive (even though I find them delicious and eat them every now and then).  They make me uncomfortable to some degree every time I eat them.  For others that isn't the case, and yes, it's a huge plus that they're inexpensive. 

It's hard to assess the bodily effect that eating beans has on your digestion and how good you feel overall unless you contrast it with some kind of healthy baseline.  That's what I did.  I went strict paleo for a while and then reintroduced beans into my diet.  That was how I decided, and that's what the books I've read recommend. 

Stevia or artificial sweeteners over natural sweets such as honey and agave nectar-  Stevia may be from a plant, but it's just as processed as table sugar or cocaine.  Nothing should be taken out of it's natural form.  

Agreed.  I think this has more to do with the losing weight than a holistic perspective.  He isn't saying "eat a shit load of stevia" though; he's saying "use this more than that."

Mushrooms are bad?

Beets are bad?

Bananas?

Pomegranate? 

No, but beets, bananas and pomegranate have a lot of fructose in them, and too much fructose will keep you from losing weight.  Plus, they don't have unique nutritional profiles—you can get the good stuff they offer from other sources that don't contain the same level of fructose.  So a banana isn't "bad," but dark, leafy greens offer even more potassium as well a lot of other really good stuff, and you'd be better off eating those every day than bananas.

Anyone who's interested in being truly healthy will eventually have to pick up a book and start reading about nutrition.  It takes a concerted effort and a lot of information to follow a balanced and varied diet that gives you everything your body needs.  But most people aren't interested in nutrition to that extent.  They either want the information in a single glance or want to lose fat and look better, and the Bulletproof diet provides that in a way that's very nutritionally sound and easy to understand.

Edited by chase

being a runner that is not allowed to run due to injury (FOR 3.5 MONTHS) is horrible. it's heartbreaking. stupid DDD/sciatica combo.

i tried to run intervals (slowly) about a month ago and that resulted in my back/leg pain going back to square one. it was as if the two months of religiously doing my physical therapy exercises never happened. my poor physical therapist. i cried about that. hahaha. now i am terrified to run again because the resulting pain is quite bad. i have to force myself to hold in tears and i'm not that big of a wuss. god, it blows. 

i do go on walks daily but it's just not the same. i should probably buy a membership to the pool and swim even though i really have no clue how to swim! hahah. maybe some water aerobics with some grannies? truly, i'm nervous to anything that has the potential for high impact because clearly that is going to inflame my spine and make me hate my life.

tl;dr

you running people are lucky bitches.

I tried to do sprints last night.  8 x quarter mile sprints.  I usually do them at around 1:28 but my knees and my lungs weren't having it.  had to do them at 1:55 :-/  

ugh, I just had to assume that my body is tired and I'll be back at it tomorrow.  

i generally have gnarly knee pain when running but HEY! the knees are mostly good now! i'll have to go for a slow jog on some sort of soft-ish surface. i went on the road last time. anyone have ideas one softer surfaces? i do own a really nice treadmill!

those of you getting knee/leg/etc pain - do you stretch?

may be a stupid question, but do you? i mean full quads, hammy's, hips, upper and lower, not just before the run, like in the morning too and especially after.

Try getting a deep tissue massage?

A book I've been reading lately that I highly recommend:

Becoming a Supple Leopard

This may be a little more information than you need if all you're trying to do is diagnose/treat knee pain, but there's no better source out there for improving basic body movements (running, walking, sitting, squatting, pushups, deadlifts, etc.) preventing injury and dealing with muscle stiffness and joint pain.  Another tremendously useful source for this kind of thing is Kelly Starrett's Youtube channel, which features hundreds of videos on improving mobility and resolving pain. 

i could stretch for hours every day and still my hips and hamstrings would be super tight.

You probably spend a lot of time sitting.  It's the same for me.  The hams and hips of someone with a desk job or sedentary person (not saying either of these apply to you) will always be tight.  But stretching and joint mobility exercises definitely help.

I'm pretty fucking stoked. I started going to the gym around February. I could barely do bench the bar (45 pounds) + 5 pounds weights.

Now I can do 5 decent pumps at 135 pounds which is the bar + 2 45 pound weights.

I love progress.

10 months ago i think my incline bench was about 75 pounds (i had never lifted a weight before in my life) Just recently i got about 6 reps of 185 on my last set...Thats a little over 10 pounds a month in strength, id say thats pretty good. It feels great though, i look forward to my chest days every week now.

So I've been sticking to Starting Strength religiously for a while now. My lifts have all gone up steadily and I've put on size too. I'm not yet at a point where the program has stopped working, but I am at a point where less and less of my clothes (mainly my suits for work) fit. Whilst I'd like to keep going, I can't afford new suits at the moment, so I want to keep the muscle and strip off the fat I've picked up from drinking all that whole milk.

I've got a bike, I hate running and I've paid a years membership at the gym, so ideally I'd like it to mainly focus around lifting weights. Can someone recommend a program of some kind? I've done research but all the stuff I've come across is really vague. I need someone who knows what they're talking about to go "do this".

I also need a list of do / do not eat foods.

PS it's been a while, hey!

PPS does Adam still shout at everyone in this thread?

Edited by Samuel

Adam is gone from what I can tell.

If you want to shed fat the easiest way is by doing cardio - if you hate running, play sports like basketball or soccer. Swimming is an excellent cardio exercise too and gives your body a good stretch as well. You can put your bike to use if you wish. 

Keep doing your same workout and maybe cut out the whole milk. Eat clean and continue with the Starting Strength routine while also adding 1-2 cardio days a week.

I always shed a bunch of fat after doing yoga a few times a week for a month or so.  I think it's because most of my fat-gain is stress related.  Yoga reduces cortisol production.  bam

Thanks guys. My gym doesn't have a pool (it's a bit of a spit and sawdust place), but I can start cycling a couple of times a week. I'm using the starting strength movements, but have been doing 8-10 reps x 3 sets rather than 5 reps. So the wright is lighter but the intensity is up. That's the correct thing to do for weight loss right? I may need to pass a bleep test (15m shuttle run thing that tests your v02 max). I need to hit at least a 5.6, but would like to go in confident that I'm going to smash it. I've got an app and a big enou garden, is just doing the bleep test the best way to train for it?

Addressing your intensity/adjustment to your SS routine the main thing to consider is your heart rate - if you want to burn more get that heart rate PUMPING. If you're increasing your reps to 8-10 and by the final one you are sweating/and pushing as intensely as possible and when you're done your heart is racing then you're doing the job. Truly, it doesn't matter if you do this with 5 reps or 15 reps, it's more about the heart rate speed than the number of reps. Though the common perception is higher reps is "toning" but I don't necessarily buy that unless we're talking the difference between 4 rep sets vs 16 rep sets.

Cutting out the whole milk and doing SOME cardio will make a big difference for you. Good luck with your training.

I also like hoan's idea of yoga... I end up drenched in sweat when I do yoga - and I mean I am drenched by the end of the "warm up."

I kind of went on a hiatus with the gym and went back today.... I started feeling really cold, things got bright, and then I lost my vision.. like completely black. I just had a blood test and I'm not diabetic.. anyone ever experience that?

I was doing lower back lifts so I could see the blood to my head being fucked up... I also have a cold so my breathing wasn't right. It was scary. I feel fine now.