BNBG

The Official Workout Thread

934 posts in this topic

cassidy, you need to stop being the guy that talks about working out more than actually working out - all jokes aside

​I feel like I do actually work out...it's just baby steps to get me to incorporate other things I really want to do (personal trainer; classes; swimming). I think I will do this summer.

There were great reviews about the headphones I wanted (Jaybird Bluebuds)...but...then there were some remarks about the fit/how easily it falls out, which is what I'm worried about most.

I got a cheap pair that looks like this because I figured the design would fit more easily in my ears than just an earbud
original.jpg

The wiring BLOWS and gets caught more than my wrap-arounds did...I'm looking to go back/replace this with an upgrade.
I'll probably just try the earbud and stop being a bitch about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be down to play in Boston some time...but I need a lot of work.

I was guarding a somewhat fat kid who looked out of shape but moved well and could shoot, knew how to use body in the post. I couldn't do shit.
I need to get in some degree of shape where I don't get winded halfway through a game of 21 just by chasing a loose ball.
Also I've been fighting an in-grown toe nail that keeps popping up...and now that I'm playing basketball and making legit 'cuts', it's gotten worse. FUCK

signed up for a couple personal trainer sessions, so we'll see what happens.

going to ask about...
-core work
-squats/deadlifts
-kettlebells
-stretching
-resistance training
-developing a proper program

just incorporating new shit too

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was looking into joining a boxing/MMA gym...
But in my area, nothing looks interesting.
lot of gyms/'dojos' where you dress up like you're doing karate; the gym is too small; the gym looks like something out of 'Ray Donovan' with shady people in a shady location

I don't want to fight, but I want to know SOME shit...AND...look like I'm in fighting shape.

i'm sure you've heard this before, but your results from training will be 70% linked to your diet and less to your actual workouts.

with that said, i got 3 months of personal training a couple years ago (this was after having worked out extensively for 6 years) and it changed a lot for me. good luck!

i'm sure you've heard this before, but your results from training will be 70% linked to your diet and less to your actual workouts.

with that said, i got 3 months of personal training a couple years ago (this was after having worked out extensively for 6 years) and it changed a lot for me. good luck!

thanks...we'll see.
I am eating SO much better (40+ pounds gained since I started working out/changing my diet) but I never had much confidence in a set routine/go-to program.
I had books on squats/deadlifts but was too worried I'd fuck up my back or some shit doing it wrong....I did it for about a year with a friend who is a gym teacher/workout freak but he fell off the grid since he's basically wifed up now.

But I figure having a set routine/program should pay more dividends
it's at my mom's gym in the city too which is far more high-end than my YMCA gym. 

signed up for 12 sessions and might do more (2x/week)....today was a mix of assessment and actual work (2 hours) and it cost nothing
Like the trainer I got a lot. Clearly knows his shit, the right level of enthusiastic.

He did an assessment of me today...

Immediately, he made me stand up straight and picked apart basic things and I'm going to fuck up his wording/analysis...
-my head protrutdes forward: tells him that something is not built naturally in the upper body
-upper back/inside of my shoulder: not built either
-the way I stand: putting too much pressure in an unnatural way that could cause plantar fascitis

When working out, would ask and feel if my muscles were tight, which he could notice.
I wasn't working my glutes, hips, or leg muscles properly...or even when doing arm exercises, my upper back/neck was feeling it the most when it should be my arms more than anything feeling it: basically it tells him I'm not building the proper muscles and I was compensating for that with the others.

My stamina/blood pressure was better than average, so that was good: it told him he could push me hard, take me from behind, and have his way with me.
But yeah, I need a trainer to kick my ass, someone to guide, push me, and hold me accountable...
I've been doing things without a plan/idea, not holding long enough when I do things, not having the most proper form, doing the right exercises, or doing 3 sets of 5-10. He had me doing 15-25, which was killer and pushed me. I was definitely feeling it.

Workouts with personal trainer are kicking my ass...

-guy is from Chicago and had a football scholarship: was teammates w/ Bart Scott/Brandon Jacobs: had funny/awesome stories to tell
-I guess the guy from my high school who was with the Texans/Colts has a workout shop in my town for supplements. I don't trust most the shit...but my personal trainer said the 'Sex' drink is BS, but Creatine is actually good; had a bad stigma to it, but science is backing it. Not sure if people on here can attest to that/best kind to get if they do? I just have Whey Protein.

Creatine is good, and I don't know your fitness level, but it's not really going to be something you need while you're still developing your building blocks. From the sounds of it, he's really breaking down your bad habits and changing what you do... if I was you, I wouldn't add any BS or supplements right now - just let him guide you and watch yourself improve. If you start hitting a roadblock, and AFTER you're done with your trainer, then maybe think about adding it. Don't overthink it... like they say, Eat Clean, Train Dirty. It sounds stupid, but it's really that simple.

yeah, I'll probably get Creatine anyway.
He's definitely checking my form and breaking down habits, throwing everything at me that he can.
I figure if I'm training this hard, I'll take that shit.

my ass got kicked on Friday....leg/abs day, which I foolishy believed would be somewhat easier. I expected squats, but holy shit

just a LOT of exercises without rest that immediately led into another...
-squats to squat jumps/side jumps
-lunges into hops
-couple other shits with weights

all 3 sets of 15 with each with mixes thrown in

then ab work with 5 different variables (reverse sit-ups; planks; cockroaches; mountain climbers)-4 sets of 15 without any rest
There were other sit-up exercises thrown in that I can't recall
This was the hardest workout I've had and I had to rest at times; I was audibly gassed while trying to push through; my hips/lower stomach just got tensed up

then he measured my body weight...and measured eveyrthing else (chest; wingspan; thighs; calves; biceps, hips, etc)
So I have 17% body fat (never been measured before and told that was solid)...but for someone who wants to get ripped, he said, 'you want to be at 7-12%' 
I said, 'how long do you think that would take? Like, a year or 2?' and he goes, "no, you can accomplish that in a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of months depending upon how hard you work'....so that's going to be my goal.

I think I also got plantar fascitis in my right foot somehow: it hurts when I reach to stretch towards it or when I lift my leg to about my calf's length. Something to monitor
I have a ball that stretches/massages the arch of my foot; I might look into getting better shoes for arch support.

went to GNC earlier this week...

Girl that helped me out was cool and very science-y (in college for science shit).
She was speaking saying shit I didn't understand, so  she asked what I took pre-workout  and I said laughing, "Ummm, green tea and oatmeal?' and she stepped back, goes 'Oh, geez' and had to take me to the most basic

-CREATINE: C4 pre-workout creatine (Cellucor) Fruit Punch
-Cellucor Core-Performance Whey: already had one, but trying out something else instead
-Super T testosterone booster (took this last one just out of curiosity: it's probably bullshit placebo effect)

tried a bunch of different protein bars that had more stuff in them...some I definitely liked more than the ones I eat now.
not sure if anybody else takes things, what works for them, or whatever
Before, I was just having a Whey Protein shake within 30 minutes post-workout as the ONLY supplement I took besides fish oil, Balance protein bars and just eating healthy.

Not noticing much of a difference at the moment...but definitely feeling more fit/bigger as a result of the 5 workouts I've had with my personal trainer so far and things I'm trying to incorporate.
...and definitely feeling more sore 24-48 hours after workouts than before, doing shit I haven't done before. Limping around more 2 days after leg day than the day after.