BNBG

The Official Workout Thread

934 posts in this topic

So I started going to Kung Fu this week. Really good time, some of the guys were dicks but most of them were really sound guys, and very welcoming. BUT, I'm very, very sore, swollen hands. It's given me a really good upper body work out, as well as my ass. Is there anything I can do for sore muscles other than bananas, fish oil and not being a pussy? It's meant that I've been too sore to go to the gym to lift weight the past two days, but I guess I'll get used to it. Anyone else here lift weights and do martial arts? What does your week look like?

Also, an online supplement store is doing this stuff over half price. But is it just a load of crap?

My linky

I play soccer in my free time, but I am often in serious pain after I do a heavy leg day. My hamstrings, quads, and calves often hurt to the point that I can barely walk, let alone run. I found that by far the best thing for me, and the only thing that allowed me to play soccer the day after a leg day, was to massage my own muscles. I don't take pain killers, and I found that a good massage of my own legs reduced the pain by 70%-80%. The pain you feel is called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and is caused by tiny tears in the muscle fibers and your body attempting to repair them.

Other than that, you can try painkillers, though I don't recommend it for a couple of reasons. One, it may slow your rate of healing according to some recent studies, and two, you may injure yourself more severely by not being able to feel how much pain you're really in. Pain is the body telling you that something is wrong after all.

On the supplement, it seems to have a lot of fat (2.7g) and way too much saturated fat (2.2g), it also has quite a few carbs (11g). I usually try to stick to whey protein hybrids which are mostly whey protein isolates mixed with whey protein concentrates and BCAAs. I have used Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Gold Standard, it seems to work well, but I only take protein if I don't get 180g+ of protein in my diet that day. ON's formula only has 5g carbs, 1.5g of fat, and .5g saturated fat. I only allow myself 10g of saturated fat or less per day, so having 2 servings of the stuff you linked to would already be almost half of my daily allotment.

ON's product can be found here: http://www.optimumnu...dard-p-201.html

There are plenty of good deals on this stuff all over the internet.

is working out your back important? I'm just trying to lose weight and I don't care much about toning becuz im years away from being toned. I know you need muscle to help your metabolism though.

Just to add to what Chipz said, if you do them right, you will burn even more calories with compound movements involving your legs/back than you will with cardiovascular exercise. But, be aware that your back is also more prone to injury than most other regions of your body, so practicing good technique is an absolute must while squatting or deadlifting.

Also, it's worth noting that if you're doing chest exercises like the bench press or flies to build up your pectoral muscles you'll have a tendency to slouch if you don't counteract the chest muscles by strengthening your back muscles.

Yeah I've got the hang of it now. It's pretty neat. Not paying too much attention to the exercise values. I think they are input by users and none of them have "verfified" like some of the foods do. I've changed the activity option to light, might go back up one. I do about 1 hour walking each day to, from, and around campus but I'm seated for the rest of the day (excluding exercise in the evening) so I'm not really sure. There's a 500 cal difference between the two activity options. I bought some scales today and I was 30lbs under what I thought I weighed so I guess I must have lost a little weight over summer without noticing. My concern now is that I think I've dropped a waist size in 2-3 weeks and I don't know how much weight that is. Have a feeling its too fast though. I won't be able to find out until I weigh myself again in a week though. I'll change the activity option on the calorie calculator when I know this.

Fanastic! I may have to start using that application myself. :)

is working out your back important? I'm just trying to lose weight and I don't care much about toning becuz im years away from being toned. I know you need muscle to help your metabolism though.

don't listen to them, back is a waste of time if you just want to lose weight. i went ahead and made a workout split for you, this should work for weight loss:

Monday: Biceps, Abs

Tuesday: Light cardio (optional, but if there is a cute girl on a treadmill, then just talk to her. that counts)

Wednesday: Biceps, Triceps

Thursday: Bench Press (only, then just stack weights on a machine before going home)

Friday: Arms, Abs

That's it.

JayW, building your chest without balancing your back is a very bad idea. Besides, as Chipz said above, your back muscles are some of the most important muscles in your body. Most spinal, lower back, and neck problems stem from weak back muscles and poor posture.

When I was a freshman I benched 350 and never touched my back. I looked kind of ridiculous with my shoulders slumped forward all the time. My friend became a personal trainer that year and told me I needed to work on my back.

Anyway, as we said before, compound motion will burn more calories than cardio if you do them intensely, and A LOT more than bicep curls or abdominal exercises.

So I started going to Kung Fu this week. Really good time, some of the guys were dicks but most of them were really sound guys, and very welcoming. BUT, I'm very, very sore, swollen hands. It's given me a really good upper body work out, as well as my ass. Is there anything I can do for sore muscles other than bananas, fish oil and not being a pussy? It's meant that I've been too sore to go to the gym to lift weight the past two days, but I guess I'll get used to it. Anyone else here lift weights and do martial arts? What does your week look like?

Also, an online supplement store is doing this stuff over half price. But is it just a load of crap?

My linky

first, as for protein, i am currently using nutraplanet's own whey, cheap, gets the job done. i only have a protein shake after i life.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/nutraplanet/nutrapro-5lb.html

i found i like it better in water than milk.

as for the soreness, massages are really good, as it will increase blood flow to damaged tissue. when this isn't an option (i.e. your lady is pissed at you for not having a job, and refuses to give any... oh wait, that's me), light aerobic (exercise bike for legs, or a light jog) usually will help get blood circulating again. it is nice to splooge once and a while and buy a professional massage.

I'm cutting body fat right now, normally it would be higher. But honestly, 10g isn't that difficult to maintain, even eating peanut butter and almonds during the day.

youre cutting so you're dropping fat? that's pretty backwards.

jay, i thought you were using musclefeast?

no, i've never even heard of that... but now that i have, that's a pretty good deal, 5 pounds of isolate for $31? have you used it yourself? the only kinds of protein i've used in the past 6 months are that nutraplanet whey and ON's oat's and whey.

and sam, i was obviously kidding about the no back workouts.... you definitely should lift back. for weight loss, remember that muscle tissue will have a higher metabolic activity than other tissue (require more energy to "survive" on a daily basis), that exertion (of the weight-training, near-maximal lift type) will activate a host of hormones and tissue response (anabolic hormone release, mTor pathways) that will burn fat, weight-training will lead to more GH release during stage two sleep (linked to weight loss), and that insulin sensitivity will increase. so you may not being looking to get "toned" or "ripped," but weight training will be of much more benefit that simply a shit ton of cardio.

ideally, in my world, you'll lift an hour after you eat, train with weights for 30-45 minutes, then do 30-45 minutes of cardio. the weights will activate the aforementioned hormones/metabolic pathways, and by the time you hit the cardio, your blood glucose will be low enough to encourage beta-oxidation.

no, i've never even heard of that... but now that i have, that's a pretty good deal, 5 pounds of isolate for $31? have you used it yourself? the only kinds of protein i've used in the past 6 months are that nutraplanet whey and ON's oat's and whey.

and sam, i was obviously kidding about the no back workouts.... you definitely should lift back. for weight loss, remember that muscle tissue will have a higher metabolic activity than other tissue (require more energy to "survive" on a daily basis), that exertion (of the weight-training, near-maximal lift type) will activate a host of hormones and tissue response (anabolic hormone release, mTor pathways) that will burn fat, weight-training will lead to more GH release during stage two sleep (linked to weight loss), and that insulin sensitivity will increase. so you may not being looking to get "toned" or "ripped," but weight training will be of much more benefit that simply a shit ton of cardio.

ideally, in my world, you'll lift an hour after you eat, train with weights for 30-45 minutes, then do 30-45 minutes of cardio. the weights will activate the aforementioned hormones/metabolic pathways, and by the time you hit the cardio, your blood glucose will be low enough to encourage beta-oxidation.

Dude...are you serious? YOU recommended it on the boreds, I found out about it because of you. I've used it for the past few months, and its run by 1 man and its super legit small business. I totally support this guy's work.

Dude...are you serious? YOU recommended it on the boreds, I found out about it because of you. I've used it for the past few months, and its run by 1 man and its super legit small business. I totally support this guy's work.

i drink a lot of beer. that's the only excuse i have, ha ha. maybe i did, but did they perhaps have different labeling before? i guess i vaguely remember this, though it might have simply been "i found this product... anyone else have insight on it?"

youre cutting so you're dropping fat? that's pretty backwards.

jay, i thought you were using musclefeast?

Wait, what? I'm not bulking, I'm cutting, trying to reduce my body fat so the muscle comes through better. I'm not sure how reducing fat would be doing that backwards.

Jay: yeah the labeling has changed, that's probably why. it's cheap and i trust that guy cause he uses it with his own son, who is a bodybuilder. small business owner in america who believes in his product? doesn't get better than that.

Wait, what? I'm not bulking, I'm cutting, trying to reduce my body fat so the muscle comes through better. I'm not sure how reducing fat would be doing that backwards.

eating fat doesn't mean making fat. fatty acids != adipose tissue.

in fact, its quite counterproductive because if you have less than 10g saturated fat a day, i'm sure your fat count total is pretty low, which means you're using carbs and protein to fill you up. truth is, its the carbs and protein that contribute to the fat gain. carbs are energy, and unwasted energy is stored. protein is turned into sugar if it isn't properly utilized, and thus goes through the same process as carbs. fat is a hormone inducer, in fact its been stated in numerous studies that saturated fat, of all fats, contributes the best to increase in testosterone levels. fats are great for hormone stimulus, which are useful for raising metabolism and thus decreasing fat.

if its working, dont bother change it, but consider this when your fat loss plateaus.

eating fat doesn't mean making fat. fatty acids != adipose tissue.

in fact, its quite counterproductive because if you have less than 10g saturated fat a day, i'm sure your fat count total is pretty low, which means you're using carbs and protein to fill you up. truth is, its the carbs and protein that contribute to the fat gain. carbs are energy, and unwasted energy is stored. protein is turned into sugar if it isn't properly utilized, and thus goes through the same process as carbs. fat is a hormone inducer, in fact its been stated in numerous studies that saturated fat, of all fats, contributes the best to increase in testosterone levels. fats are great for hormone stimulus, which are useful for raising metabolism and thus decreasing fat.

if its working, dont bother change it, but consider this when your fat loss plateaus.

Thanks for the advice Adam. I'm already pretty well aware of what you said, and I carefully track carbs, calories, and protein in addition to fat.

I am 6'4", 203 lbs. and ~12% body fat, nearing 11% I believe.

I need 3,500 calories to maintain my body weight, but I am cutting to 3,200.

I take in 180g+ of protein each day, which is roughly 600 calories, leaving around 2,600.

I eat about 450-500g of complex carbs each day which is roughly 1,800-2,000 calories, leaving ~600 for fat.

I eat around 70g of fat each day, which is around 630 calories. In addition, I allow myself ~10g of saturated fat.

I don't eat much food with saturated fat in it, the only foods I eat which do is one whole egg (2g), 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 1-2 protein shakes, 2 servings of soy milk, the occasional trout or salmon fillet, and 2 servings of almonds. This usually gives me between 8g - 12g of saturated fat. I'm not strict on numbers, because life is much more complex than to be too black and white about these things. But, I aim for ballpark figures, and am usually within 5% - 10% of my daily goals.

If I burn A LOT of calories one day, I may take in 4,000-5,000 calories the next day if I'm really hungry, but I maintain the proper proportions. So if I consumed 4,000 calories the day after I biked 30 miles, I might take in 100g of fat. The point is, I maintain the right portions for my body. You can't take in 150g of fat in a day and not expect it to show up on your body at some point. Bodybuilders are very careful to cut their fat during the season.

Like cholesterol, dietary fat does not necessarily translate to body fat, but too much fat, like too many carbs, will end up being stored. Once your glycogen stores are replenished, your body starts to fill up the old fat silos in preparation for a harsh winter.

Thanks for the advice Adam. I'm already pretty well aware of what you said, and I carefully track carbs, calories, and protein in addition to fat.

I am 6'4", 203 lbs. and ~12% body fat, nearing 11% I believe.

I need 3,500 calories to maintain my body weight, but I am cutting to 3,200.

I take in 180g+ of protein each day, which is roughly 600 calories, leaving around 2,600.

I eat about 450-500g of complex carbs each day which is roughly 1,800-2,000 calories, leaving ~600 for fat.

I eat around 70g of fat each day, which is around 630 calories. In addition, I allow myself ~10g of saturated fat.

I don't eat much food with saturated fat in it, the only foods I eat which do is one whole egg (2g), 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 1-2 protein shakes, 2 servings of soy milk, the occasional trout or salmon fillet, and 2 servings of almonds. This usually gives me between 8g - 12g of saturated fat. I'm not strict on numbers, because life is much more complex than to be too black and white about these things. But, I aim for ballpark figures, and am usually within 5% - 10% of my daily goals.

If I burn A LOT of calories one day, I may take in 4,000-5,000 calories the next day if I'm really hungry, but I maintain the proper proportions. So if I consumed 4,000 calories the day after I biked 30 miles, I might take in 100g of fat. The point is, I maintain the right portions for my body. You can't take in 150g of fat in a day and not expect it to show up on your body at some point. Bodybuilders are very careful to cut their fat during the season.

Like cholesterol, dietary fat does not necessarily translate to body fat, but too much fat, like too many carbs, will end up being stored. Once your glycogen stores are replenished, your body starts to fill up the old fat silos in preparation for a harsh winter.

i would up protein to 270 and drop carbs down to 300, and then add in additional fat until you hit your caloric target

i would up protein to 270 and drop carbs down to 300, and then add in additional fat until you hit your caloric target

That would require ~110g of fat, which is frankly, a lot. That would mean that fat constitutes roughly 30% of my diet. Actually, the ratio would be around 33/33/33, which I've never seen supported by anyone. Most bodybuilders follow a 40/40/20 (with 20 being fat), or a 50/30/20 (which is more like mine), and sometimes a 40/30/30 which is more like yours.

I usually eat ~450g of carbs, ~200g of protein and ~70g of fat. So my ratio is usually right on 55/25/20.

If I were to consume 270 grams of protein, I'd literally just be pissing money away. Most recommend that you consume between .85g of protein per pound of lean body mass to 1g+. I am doing 1g per pound of lean mass, and it has been plenty. As far as carbs go, I think they're far too valuable to be reduced to only 30% of your diet. From what I've read, carbs should always be the majority of your diet, or in some cases tied with protein, and they should be complex / varied. Vegetables and whole grains should always be the majority of your dietary intake. It's hard enough to consume 180 grams of protein per day, and I often envy the short body builders who could likely get their daily requirement from 2 protein shakes, haha. I don't really want to spend $120 per month on protein shakes or eat 12 egg whites and 2 cans of tuna in a day. :)

40-30-30 is widely accepted.

33-33-33 is also pretty accepted too. 270 = 1.5g/lb protein, which is the upper limit of protein consumption you'll want. 30% fat is a good place to be, and the rest are carbs.

Heading to the gym for the first time in ages. I'm 6 1, up to around 200 pounds again (chubby for my body type). Fuck I've been lazy. The plan of action everyday: weights more then 15 mins or so of cardio. 3x10 (at least to start), 3 exercise each area. What do the Schwartzenegers of this thread think?

Need to brag a bit here because I don't have any friends that are serious about lifting.

Made a new personal record on deadlifts that I'm ridiculously proud of because I've been working towards this weight as a goal since I started lifting again in June: 315x3, failed on the 4th rep (which was more than I expected to get anyways). For context, I'm 5'6" and 148 pounds, so I'm pretty damn pleased.

...Anyone else here lift weights and do martial arts? What does your week look like?

In response to this, I've been doing MMA training for a couple of months now, three days a week for two hours a piece, and lifting a further three days. I'd like to know other folks' thoughts on a good weight training regimen for martial arts, but for the time being I've been doing this:

Day 1: Back

Deads

Pull-ups/ cable pull downs (alternating every week between wide and hammer grips)

Rows (again alternating grips each week)

Day 2: Chest

Dumbbell press

Dips

Standing dumbbell military press

Abs

Day 3: Legs/Shoulders

Squats

Calf raises (for shits and giggles?)

Stiff legged deads

Front/side/rear delt raises

Shrugs

Suggestions?

Can anyone help me find my motivation? I really do want to be in better shape, but apparently I don't want it more than I want to not drag my ass to the gym. Once I'm in the gym I work hard and don't slack off. But I just can't get the motivation to get myself to the gym. I'm not in horrible shape right now, but I could be in much better shape with some discipline. Anybody have a suggestion as to what I can do to get myself to the gym?

The really sad part is when I'm not touring I have 24 free hours EVERYDAY and yet I still don't make it to the gym usually. I get it, I'm lazy. How do I fix this?

I pretty much had to hit rock bottom (hitting my old fat weight of 200) for me to consider going back to the gym. Today was my first day back so maybe I should talk in 2 weeks when it's consistent (hopefully), but I did have a great time there tonight. I feel motivation comes from within. If you have absolutely no desire to go to the gym, then you won't go no matter what you tel yourself. But if you want to go but are just lazy (me for the last 2 years), then maybe find a friend who will work out with you. Or convince yourself you'll never attract the opposite/same sex until you get into good shape. That worked for me the first time, but there is an element of self loathing that comes with that option. All and all, this post is of no help.

<br><br>In response to this, I've been doing MMA training for a couple of months now, three days a week for two hours a piece, and lifting a further three days. I'd like to know other folks' thoughts on a good weight training regimen for martial arts, but for the time being I've been doing this:<br><br>Day 1: Back<br>Deads<br>Pull-ups/ cable pull downs (alternating every week between wide and hammer grips)<br>Rows (again alternating grips each week)<br><br>Day 2: Chest<br>Dumbbell press<br>Dips<br>Standing dumbbell military press<br>Abs<br><br>Day 3: Legs/Shoulders<br>Squats<br>Calf raises (for shits and giggles?)<br>Stiff legged deads<br>Front/side/rear delt raises<br>Shrugs<br><br><br>Suggestions?<br>
<br><br>But what does your week look like? As in, do you do martial arts on Monday and then Chest day on Tuesday?

Can anyone help me find my motivation? I really do want to be in better shape, but apparently I don't want it more than I want to not drag my ass to the gym. Once I'm in the gym I work hard and don't slack off. But I just can't get the motivation to get myself to the gym. I'm not in horrible shape right now, but I could be in much better shape with some discipline. Anybody have a suggestion as to what I can do to get myself to the gym?

The really sad part is when I'm not touring I have 24 free hours EVERYDAY and yet I still don't make it to the gym usually. I get it, I'm lazy. How do I fix this?

Reading up on articles usually helps me get into a good mind set. Although T-Nation seems riddled with self promotion of supplements these days, their articles, regardless of their relevance to me, always tend to be quite encouraging, I find. And find a buddy to go the gym with.

Motivation is easier to sustain when you make a regular habit of hitting the gym. Occasionally I reevaluate my goals and set new ones for myself, this is motivational too. If you run a mile in 9:00, set a goal of running 1 mile in 8:00 two months from now and design a program to get there.

40-30-30 is widely accepted.

33-33-33 is also pretty accepted too. 270 = 1.5g/lb protein, which is the upper limit of protein consumption you'll want. 30% fat is a good place to be, and the rest are carbs.

Which ratio do you use?

I don't like consuming that much protein because most of it would be animal protein, and it would be a large portion of my diet. After reading The China Study I avoid animal protein as much as possible. Anyway, I read a few articles/studies that said that beyond .8g - 1g of protein there was no additional benefit for muscle growth.

<br><br>But what does your week look like? As in, do you do martial arts on Monday and then Chest day on Tuesday?

I normally do martial arts Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Weight training is more variable because of my school and work schedule, so it's basically whenever I can fit it in, but I try for Back on Monday, Chest on Wednesday, and Legs/Shoulders on Saturday