Bacon Destroy

Cooking

154 posts in this topic

so do we have any cooks here on the boreds? myself I've worked maybe close to 8 years with food either in professional kitchens or markets. was just wondering if anyone else shares a passion for food and post some things you've made and swap recipes. the last meal i really got into i made braised short-ribs with a cherry beer reduction served with roasted fingerling + sweet potatoes, and mustard greens. my wife made from scratch cornbread also for the meal.

i felt like i was in college english again while reading your post.

anyway, i love cooking and baking. i'm pretty damn good at it but i'm not a snooty son of a bitch by any means. i'd love to share recipes if anyone has a request for a certain dish.

i know nat and derekthedreaded (maybe that was his username?) cook as well. oh, and i think mikey barbecues and cooks.

i love cooking. especially coming up with veganized versions of foods i love that are good enough to fool anyone :) and also showing people you can eat healthy food that doesn't taste like cardboard.

i suck at baking. i can never get my cookies to reach the perfect chewy-fluffy balance. i can make a mean duncan hines box mix cake, though.

yeah my wife is a pastry chef but loves cooking vegan, since her sister is vegan and always winds up getting the shaft at get togethers and stuff. right now shes got me eating no meat till xmas to just kind purge my system. she does an amazing vegan chili.

Just made fillet steak with a red wine and soya sauce reduction and braised red cabbage with cinnamon, apple and nutmeg

web.jpg?ver=12913259820001

That probably tastes really good but it looks unappealing in presentation. Needs more color variation. It just looks like a big glob.

I cook, but I feel like I've been awful at it lately :(

im wrapping up my first semester of culinary school here in sf. love to cook. the last thing i made was a spaghetti with clams and dungeness with a white wine sauce.

dungeness is having a great season here. live 2 pounders for $4-7.

the boy and i are trying to teach ourselves how to cook. it's going to be a long time before i make anything fancy, haha. i can sautee a mean mushroom, though!

oh the presentation is awful but damn it was delicious. added fresh rosemary and garlic to the reduction, with a crack of pepper just to finish it off. possible one of the best fillets i've made.

edit: so this is what i had when i went to gordon's new restaurant

Foie gras torchon with spiced chutney and toasted brioche

Dover sole 16oz, meunière

Steamed cinnamon pudding with rum raisins and custard

one of the best meals i've ever had.

i've been fortunate enough to eat at a few michelin star restaurants, even 3 star ones and this was up there. The style won't allow it to achieve 3 but it's proper wholesome food.

I'm not that great at cooking, but I like trying. My boyfriend cooks often and we eat together probably 3-4 times a week, so I don't have a whole lot of dinner time to experiment with.

However, I am an excellent baker.

Just booked a table at Heston Blumenthal's new restaurant for my girlfriend's birthday in April :) Been trying to book the fat duck but it's constantly booked up.

are you going to cook while you're there? i was under the impression that this thread was about cooking and not eating. silly me!

i want to cook a small turkey or cornish game hens soon. turkey has been on sale quite a bit lately. i love brining turkeys and slow roasting them. mmm!

It may be appropriate to talk about food though too!

I haven't cooked lately. We've been so busy, and the girlfriend was out of town for a few days so I did the bachelor thing and went out to the bars for happy hour menus! Also, I've been eating mexican take out and my mom's been cooking a lot for me. I went over to her house for dinner the other night and left with 2 days worth of food. Mmm, Chile Rellenos.

I will get back to cooking soon though as the girlfriend is back and we're getting too poor to go out every night.

I think I would like cooking a lot more if I felt like I knew what to make. Everything I've ever made has been pretty good, but I'm terrible at figuring out what to make. And I really hate deciding what to make for other people.

Nothing amazing but i made some lamb noisettes tonight

web.jpg?ver=129237637100010

Quick sear on both sides

place onto a baking tray with some garlic and rosemary for 13 minutes

done

made a quick little goats cheese salad too