Bacon Destroy

Cooking

154 posts in this topic

Ate at this Australian fine dining restaurant in Copenhagen the other day; i was pretty damn disappointed considering how much we paid but the starters were very nice.

BLUE BAY SCALLOPS

SEARED SCALLOPS WITH CORN PURÉ, CRISPY CELERY LEAVES, TRUFFLE VINAIGRETTE AND RIBERRIES

IMG_2264.jpg

EMU CARPACCIO

EMU CARPACCIO WITH WHITE TRUFFLE OIL MARINADE, MURRAY RIVER SALT, PINK PEPPER BERRIES, PECORINO FLAKES AND PARSNIP CRISPS

IMG_2265.jpg

Had a meal at Heston Blumenthal's new restaurant yesterday evening. It's a modern take on old english dishes.

207111_10150572459300305_520315304_17927371_5098097_n.jpg

205697_10150572414405305_520315304_17926196_1751125_n.jpg

Meat Fruit (c.1500)

Mandarin, Chicken Liver Parfait and Grilled Bread

216508_10150572458100305_520315304_17927341_2132757_n.jpg

Roast Scallops (c.1820)

Cucumber Ketchup and Borag

216417_10150572416705305_520315304_17926266_8300975_n.jpg

Sirloin of Black Angus (c.1830)

Mushroom Ketchup, Red Wine Juice and Triple Cooked Chips

216307_10150572420250305_520315304_17926408_8305084_n.jpg

Triple Cooked Chips - These are the best chips in the world

218045_10150572460170305_520315304_17927394_319857_n.jpg

Cod In Cider (c.1940)

Chard and Fired Mussels

206887_10150572426610305_520315304_17926631_2547240_n.jpg

We asked for the sommelier to recommend some wine for our main course; she recommended this particular red but when she came back she offered another one since they ran out of the original red. She actually charged me the same price for the original one to make up for the mistake. This one should of been $40 for a glass but i got it for $20!

205695_10150572429845305_520315304_17926713_5095784_n.jpg

Chocolate Bar (c.1730)

Passion Fruit Jam and Ginger Ice Cream

219935_10150572433350305_520315304_17926848_5522274_o.jpg

Tipsy Cake (c.1810)

Spit Roast Pineapple

I made vegetable streudel with smoked mozzarella, sweet potato quesidillas with a chipotle honey sauce, garden salad with pumpkin seeds,and herb lemon chicken.

It only took meman hour and a half including prep/cooking time.

My grandparents really enjoyed it.

искать адрес по номеру телефона в гтюмень пробный поиск абонента определение местонахождения абонента по номеру за пределами россии, база адресов и телефонов гхимки найти номера телефонов по адресу г днепропетровск клиентская база данных мегафон, узнать адрес по номеру телефона в алмате программа узнать номер телефона по адресу барнаул адресная и телефонная база г санкт-петербурга и ленинградской области, узнать своё местонахождение через спутник найти утерянный мобильный телефон как определить местонахождение человека по номеру телефона сети билайн, адресно-телефонная база г владивосток кавалерово база данных мегафон северозапад как перехватить смс с другого телефона, телефоная база и адресная карта г омска мобильный шпион перехват звонков смс через интернет beeline поиск по номеру телефона в гю йошкар-ола, справочник телефонов и адресов по номеру сотового телефона найти адрес сотовая связь чебоксары поиск фамилии по номеру телефона, узнать адрес по телефону по казахстану база данных жителей самары мегафон кто скачивал смс перехватчик

get a modest sized skin on pork belly and braise it with citrus zest, root vegetables, and peppers in veg stock with apple cider vinegar.

after a few hours remove the belly to cool and strain the braising liquid.

in a cupcake tin place 1 inch squares of the pork belly and surround them with fresh apples and the braising liquid. brush the skin with

a mixture of brown sugar and hoisin sauce. heat at 350 in the oven for 10 minutes, then add a tad more sauce to the tops and broil until the sauce is caramelized on top and

the skin is very crisp. carefully remove each piece with a large spoon and serve with steamed bok choy or a seaweed salad and spicy garlic fried rice.

Use the apples as a garnish.

a071d294.jpg

get a modest sized skin on pork belly and braise it with citrus zest, root vegetables, and peppers in veg stock with apple cider vinegar.

in a cupcake tin place 1 inch squares of the pork belly and surround them with fresh apples and the braising liquid. brush the skin with

a mixture of brown sugar and hoisin sauce. heat at 350 in the oven for 10 minutes, then add a tad more sauce to the tops and broil until the sauce is caramelized on top and

the skin is very crisp. carefully remove each piece with a large spoon and serve with steamed bok choy or a seaweed salad and spicy garlic fried rice.

a071d294.jpg

Nothing better than braised pork belly.

a071d294.jpg

Wow, just inspired me to order a pork belly from a local butcher. Trying your recipe this weekend. Sounds amazing, just not sure what to do with the other 10 lbs I'll have left over. I'll probably attempt some bacon or a few different braises. Any other recipes/ideas?

I just made a delicious lamb curry.

Dry fried cumin, cinnamon, coriander, salt, pepper, grana masala, turmeric, and white pepper. Then added oil to sautee garlic, onions, carrots and celery. Added the lamb, browned it, then added the peeled tomatoes and slow cooked it and let everything reduce for about 1.5 hours. Added potatoes for the last 25 minutes.

Made a sort of raita to top it. Greek yogurt, lemon, salt, pepper, fresh baby dill, and garlic.

Served it over some garlic naan. YUM.

What's the difference between frying the spices dry and frying them after the oil is in with garlic or onions? Is one correct, or do they do different things? I'm trying to develop some actual technique instead of throwing stuff in a pot.

With things like cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, you dry fry them to start releasing the oils / aromas etc before you bash them up in the pestle/mortar or grind em down any other way to make a spice mix. If you are using pre ground spices then there isn't a need really..

Garam Masala. I need to quit posting on here whilst drunk haha.

And yes, you really only dry fry spices like that but I like to do it with pre ground anyways. It probably makes no difference.

I want to tweak my recipe a bit, I used too much cinnamon for my liking.

My raita was so good though.

Beware of uneven/quick browning when toasting pre-ground spices. Also, I think you lose a lot of the flavoring "oils" that you are trying bring out and toast when it's ground prior.

I ended up buying an 11 pound pork belly, cut into 4 large pieces. So far I made keek's braised pork belly, turned out pretty damn good. Thanks for that. I really enjoyed the other method I tried as well: grilling and smoking a la ribs. I used a nice spice rub, seared both sides well over direct grill heat, and then smoked the belly for 3 hours. Turned out tender, smokey, just delicious. My next project will be homemade bacon I think.

iphonepics318.jpg

Beware of uneven/quick browning when toasting pre-ground spices. Also, I think you lose a lot of the flavoring "oils" that you are trying bring out and toast when it's ground prior.

I ended up buying an 11 pound pork belly, cut into 4 large pieces. So far I made keek's braised pork belly, turned out pretty damn good. Thanks for that. I really enjoyed the other method I tried as well: grilling and smoking a la ribs. I used a nice spice rub, seared both sides well over direct grill heat, and then smoked the belly for 3 hours. Turned out tender, smokey, just delicious. My next project will be homemade bacon I think.

iphonepics318.jpg

That looks really good. Do you have a smoker or did you rig something up?

Tonight we're going to roast a whole chicken, do some garlic mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli. Pictures to follow.

Oh my. That reminds me, we're having a smoked pork shoulder on Memorial Day. It's probably my favorite thing ever and I don't even care for meat most of the time. So tender and juicy and mmmmm.

that pork belly looked amazing, i made Ribs for the first time this week, i went and saw St. Louis style ribs were on sale so i said fuck it time to learn to make ribs. first i made a brine i put lime, cinnamon, salt pepper, thyme, and apple cider vinegar. i then let the ribs sit for a couple hours soaking it in. i then fired up the grill and let them work low and slow. i put a nice little spice rub on them and my wife made potato salad and a nice summer salad of spinach and strawberries with a bacon vinaigrette. it turned out really well except i could have cooked the ribs a little longer to get them even more tender. now that i have done them im going try and master the art of ribs i cant wait to get another rack and give it another go.

That looks really good. Do you have a smoker or did you rig something up?

Tonight we're going to roast a whole chicken, do some garlic mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli. Pictures to follow.

I actually just used a regular Weber grill. It's pretty easy to use as a smoker, you basically need to just pile the charcoal on one side of the grill, creating direct and indirect heating areas. Sear the meat over direct heat until you get the desired look/crust, then move over to the indirect heat and throw the lid on. For the smoke, I usually soak some wood chips 30 mins before I need them (I mostly use hickory), then drain and create a little packet with some foil. Throw in the foil packet over the direct coals before you close the lid to smoke whatever it is you're cooking. The coals will start to die out and lower the temperature of inside the grill, yet will still be hot enough to burn the wood chips.

that pork belly looked amazing, i made Ribs for the first time this week, i went and saw St. Louis style ribs were on sale so i said fuck it time to learn to make ribs. first i made a brine i put lime, cinnamon, salt pepper, thyme, and apple cider vinegar. i then let the ribs sit for a couple hours soaking it in. i then fired up the grill and let them work low and slow. i put a nice little spice rub on them and my wife made potato salad and a nice summer salad of spinach and strawberries with a bacon vinaigrette. it turned out really well except i could have cooked the ribs a little longer to get them even more tender. now that i have done them im going try and master the art of ribs i cant wait to get another rack and give it another go.

Slow and low for the ribs! One trick I use occasionally is to sear and smoke the ribs for a bit, get a few large sheets of foil ready (enough to wrap the ribs completely), add the ribs and a ¼ cup of liquid (wine, apple juice, cider vinegar, etc), and close the foil tightly. Let the rib packet cook for an hour or two longer on the grill. You will literally be able to pull the bones out of the ribs. Personally I'm not a huge fan of this method, but a lot of people are. I like the ribs to have a little "bite" to them.

Not that anyone asked for it, but below is my go to rub recipe for mostly anything:

5 parts brown sugar

1 part white sugar

1 part Ancho chile powder

1 part dry mustard

1 part granulated garlic (or garlic powder, not garlic salt)

1 part paprika

1 part dry thyme

1 part pepper (freshly crack that shit)

½ part dry oregano

½ to 1 part red pepper flakes (depending on spiciness)

½ part curry powder (I use more on chicken)

Shake of cinnamon

Mix well, apply liberally.

EDIT: It's important to note, when using the rub, you should probably salt and pepper the meat before putting rub on, that way you can control the salt content.

I actually just used a regular Weber grill. It's pretty easy to use as a smoker, you basically need to just pile the charcoal on one side of the grill, creating direct and indirect heating areas. Sear the meat over direct heat until you get the desired look/crust, then move over to the indirect heat and throw the lid on. For the smoke, I usually soak some wood chips 30 mins before I need them (I mostly use hickory), then drain and create a little packet with some foil. Throw in the foil packet over the direct coals before you close the lid to smoke whatever it is you're cooking. The coals will start to die out and lower the temperature of inside the grill, yet will still be hot enough to burn the wood chips.

Slow and low for the ribs! One trick I use occasionally is to sear and smoke the ribs for a bit, get a few large sheets of foil ready (enough to wrap the ribs completely), add the ribs and a ¼ cup of liquid (wine, apple juice, cider vinegar, etc), and close the foil tightly. Let the rib packet cook for an hour or two longer on the grill. You will literally be able to pull the bones out of the ribs. Personally I'm not a huge fan of this method, but a lot of people are. I like the ribs to have a little "bite" to them.

Not that anyone asked for it, but below is my go to rub recipe for mostly anything:

5 parts brown sugar

1 part white sugar

1 part Ancho chile powder

1 part dry mustard

1 part granulated garlic (or garlic powder, not garlic salt)

1 part paprika

1 part dry thyme

1 part pepper (freshly crack that shit)

½ part dry oregano

½ to 1 part red pepper flakes (depending on spiciness)

½ part curry powder (I use more on chicken)

Shake of cinnamon

Mix well, apply liberally.

EDIT: It's important to note, when using the rub, you should probably salt and pepper the meat before putting rub on, that way you can control the salt content.

yeah i salted and peppered before the rub. my rub was almost exactly the same minus the white sugar and curry because my wife hates curry. i'm going to give it another shot next week, i also like the ribs to have some bite on them as well.