Bacon Destroy

Cooking

154 posts in this topic

Here is a really good food video blog with tons of great recipes that are constantly being updated: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/

I just competed in a cookoff against a friend of mine this past weekend, which I won...so here are the "award-winning" recipes. A few of the components are based on recipes by Bobby Flay

Grilled Flank Steak Sandwich w/ Balsamic Barbecue Sauce and Pickled Red Onion

The flank steak is marinated overnight in a green chimichurri. This sauce can be used on almost anything, both as a marinade and as a condiment

Green Chimichurri

1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

1/2 cup fresh mint leaves

1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves

1/2 cup canola oil

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

8 cloves garlic

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Use the sauce to coat your flank steaks and refridgerate overnight. When you're ready to grill the steaks, wipe off most of the excess marinade so that the herbs/garlic do not burn over the open flame. Re-season the steaks with salt/pepper before grilling. Grill over medium/high heat for 8-10 minutes per side (depending on how thick the steak is). You're shooting for medium rare-medium. Pull off the grill and let rest for at least 10 mins, Slice very thinly AGAINST the grain (this is very important) and on a bias,

Balsamic BBQ Sauce

2 cups balsamic vinegar

4 tablespoons canola oil

1 medium vidalia onion, coarsely chopped

5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped

1 cup ketchup

1/3 cup water

2 tablespoons ancho chili powder

1 tablespoon paprika

1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon molasses

In a saucepan, reduce the balsamic vinegar until it is syrupy and sweet. It will take about 20 minutes, and you should end up with about 2/3 cup of reduced liquid. While you're doing that, add onions and garlic to oil and cook til soft, then add the rest of your ingredients and simmer for 15 mins or so. Add reduced balsamic and put the sauce in a blender/food processor and process until smooth.

Pickled Red Onion

2 large red onion, finely sliced

1 cup red wine vinegar

1-2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

1 tablespoon black peppercorns

Salt and sugar to taste (you'll need to taste the pickling liquid and tune it to what you think tastes good)

1/2 cup water

Bring all ingredients except onions to a boil, Turn off heat, and add the onions. Let them simmer in residual heat for 10 minutes, Then, put everything in a jar (I used an old pickle jar) and refridgerate overnight, or a few days if you have the time. These will keep for weeks and are delicious on any sandwich, hotdog, burger, etc. They're so good you can eat them by themself.

To assemble the sandwhich...

Get yourself some good quality rolls, and split them in half. Brush one side with extra virgin olive oil, and stack some shredded cheese on the other half. I used a mixture of Gruyere and Monterey Jack, either of which I highly recommend. You want a cheese that has some sharpness to balance the sweetness of the BBQ sauce, but also high in fat so it melts good and gets all gooey and delicious. Put the split rolls in an oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes, until the rolls are lightly toasted and the cheese is melted.

Stack up sliced flank steak, and drizzle that BBQ sauce all over it. (I like to put the sauce in a squeeze bottle) Then, add your pickled onions, some watercress (or another good lettuce that isn't iceberg) and if you REALLY wanna get fancy, some sliced avacado. This a DELICIOUS sandwich.

Grilled Potato Salad w/Bacon

2-3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes (I like the small ones)

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise

1/2 cup stone ground mustard

3 tbsp red wine vinegar

1/2 cup minced italian parsley

1/2 cup minced oregano

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 lb bacon

2 minced shallots

5 cloves minced garlic

4 scallions

Salt and Pepper

Slice potatoes into relatively large chunks with the skin on, and parboil until about 75 percent cooked. Remove from water, and lightly coat with canola oil. Grill over open flame for a few minutes per side, just long enough to finish cooking and get some grill marks on the potatoes.

Chop bacon into chunks and fry in a pan. Remove bacon and reserve a few tablespoons of rendered bacon fat to saute the shallots and garlic in. Reserve this mixture, and let cool.

Combine other dressing ingredients (except scallions) and keep tasting until you think it's right. Feel free to add a little more of whatever ingredient you think is lacking. Then, add cooled shallots, garlic and bacon fat.

Chop your grilled potatoes into smaller bite-sized pieces and combine with dressing, bacon and sliced scallions. You might not need all the dressing, so don't add it all at once. Then, enjoy the best potato salad you will probably ever have.

Edited by carmellomangexp

I've accumulated some decent pics of grub that I've whipped up in the past year...figured I'd bump an old thread to share. 

cook1.jpg

Bouillabaisse with rouille

cook2.jpg

Braised beef in Yorkshire pudding with horseradish cream

cook3.jpg

Dakdoritang - Korean spicy braised chicken stew with noodles

cook4.jpg

NY Strip with bordelaise and sauteed veg

cook5.jpg

Farfalle with tomato pesto cream, shrimp and mushroom

cook8.jpg

Risotto alla Milanese with seabass and scallops

Obviously I enjoy cooking a lot...but rarely actually take pictures of my food. Would be happy to swap some recipes

Edited by carmellomangexp