suprefan

Random Thoughts

7,324 posts in this topic

It was 61 degrees here on Wednesday afternoon, then we got 12" of snow overnight and it was 10 degrees yesterday.  It'll be near 60 again this week.  Kentucky weather, you crazy.

i have to LOL my brains out that people in kentucky are getting that much snow. we've had hardly anything all year and it's already spring. da fuq! da yehyyy! 50 today, felt like 60. 

deck. beers.

Anyone here ever had "at will" employment?

I just received a decent job offer, but I guess they can get rid of me at any time for any reason.

Oh well. Worst case scenario: Resume bloater.

Anyone here ever had "at will" employment?

I just received a decent job offer, but I guess they can get rid of me at any time for any reason.

Oh well. Worst case scenario: Resume bloater.

yup, got fired from one after 30 months.

My uncle is a lawyer (was horse-shit in defending me) and I posted EVERYTHING about that in long detail (totally unlike me with my posts, right?) and how I felt like he barely lifted a thumb in helping me when I met with him, how he told me I was 20 minutes late to meeting him for our meeting (he was being an ass; I was 10 minutes early/his secretary fucked up since I wrote that shit down)

Anyways, my best friend with the company left under bad terms...

-got promised a promotion by my boss if he worked double duty for 6 months (be a teller AND a personal banker while doing what he was doing: working 6 days/week, overtime, etc)...did this for 6 months without ANY of the pay bonus perks that come with it (significant pay bump from $9/hour to about $15/hour PLUS commission for everything which can net thousands)

-basically, you're trained for the job in 2-4 weeks and you're good: some people were hired out of college for that job, but rarely was there an opening...the kid wanted to be in banking, majored in accounting, everything. Best attitude

-came from a broken home, dying diabetic father, deadbeat mom, 2 jailbird/wannabe gangster brothers, and wanted to help out his situation: get engaged to his girlfriend of 7 years, get a car (was showing up to work 2 hours early by bus each day...and volunteered to help if it was needed

6 months later, his review happens: my boss, who only managed 5 fucking people (supposed to be 7 but was 5 at all times since we were always so short on account of him), went on vacation intentionally the week of so it was delayed and delayed...until he was gone. My friend gets told that he won't be promoted. But, hey, we'll bump you up from $9/hour to $9.17/hour since it was his 1-year review after all. But they want him to continue doing the double duty. 

My friend, pissed, waits for my boss gets back...confronts him, tells him he's not happy since he was promised. My boss told him he wasn't 'promised'. So he demands to meet with HR. The VP of Retail (a massive cunt) comes in from the headquarters (I worked there for 18 months) and first thing she said was, "Is it in writing?" and my friend goes, "No, um, I just took him at his word." So that shot my buddy down...and he was told that they wanted him to continue doing double duty. But even then, they wanted him to continue pulling double duty and work the 6 days/week he'd been working (I worked 6 days/week 2-3x/month; he worked 6 days a week every week)...My buddy fumed, applied everywhere, got an accounting job that he wanted all along somewhere else a week later. He gave a 1-week notice instead of the standard 2 weeks. Since he cleaned for the headquarters at nights (his 2nd job that he'd been working at for 4 years), the VP of Retail & Human Resources pulled him THAT fucking day from cleaning for the company ever again. The kid had THE best attitude. Completely fucked over and they took offense to him giving a 1-week notice when they did what they did to him. Fuck. That.

Anyways, point is...

-while he was looking up what he went through, he looked up the defintion and everything of 'At-Will Employee' and basically said flat-out that he had no case whatsoever. That he could be dropped at any time. And that's how my particular boss thought of me and the 5 OTHER tellers he went through in a 12-month period. I was too lazy to look up stuff since I'm the type of person who just wants to work my shitty job, the 40 hours, and go home. My friend was above and beyond that, knew everything, and when he was getting fucked over, found out everything he could to support whatever case he had: realized that the company could do whatever it wanted.

I graduated college in 2010...I still don't think I've found a job that is a REAL one or anything close.

I'm still hourly when I wanted to be salary.

But good luck with things.

I wish I left the shitty job I was at 9 months ago sooner, but I couldn't find one until literally 2 days before I got fired (Fuck, I was SO looking forward to giving a 1-week notice too! SO BADLY!)

if you can find one better, you can always leave fast.

My brother enters these weekly reddit/r/makinghiphop beats contests once in a while. He is an amazing bass player, but really likes making beats with cool timing and such. The contests are called Flip This Challenge where the winner of the previous week chooses something to sample. 

He finally won one this last week. Check it out. Cassidy and Adam actually met my brother and I at a Thrice concert once. The won where the Celtics lost to the fucking Lakers in game 7. 

https://soundcloud.com/dearsirsThe first track called Lamps is what won. My favorite is still "Isham" 

Check it out

San Fran / Bay Area people.

I'll be in the area for three months and I'm trying to find a place to stay. I've found some studio apartments for a cheap price but it's on the very edge of the Tenderloins which, from the sounds of it, is one of the worst neighborhoods in the US. I'm not from a particularly large city so I need an idea of how bad it is to stay around that area.

The alternative is San Jose, which is a lot more expensive and reaching the limits of my budget but pretty much exactly where my work shuttle will be and has a lot of facilities nearby. But I hear San Jose is kinda lame, and I don't think I will be close to any CalTrain (according to GMaps it will take me 2 hours and 21 minutes of public transport to get to SF).

Anything in Mountain View is too goddamn expensive to be anywhere close to my price range. Ridiculous. I'll be working in Mountain View so that's the real dream.

Any ideas?

Edited by NoiseAround

So I went on a Bachelor Party Cruise to Ensenada, Mexico this past weekend, and that was probably the shadiest and drunkest weekend i have ever been apart of. I am never letting my future wife go on one of those with a Bachelorette party because we basically hung with a bunch of them the whole time, and all anyone did was cheat on their partners the whole time (I got two kinda shady stories of my own, but thats gonna detract from what I'm actually gonna talk about)

Once I got back on Monday, I had never been so sick in my life. I couldn't drive for the first 6 hours after we got off, and I was just puking all day and couldn't eat, drink or sleep period. Later that night I thought I was finally recovering, but then i just kept getting these major chest pains. I kept trying to sleep but I kept getting shortness of breathe and felt like something was like leaking or stabbing my heart. So once it hit 4 am I was freaking out too much and took off to the ER worried I was having a dang Heart Attack.

I got there and they did the EKG tests and checked my heart rate and blood pressure. The tests indicated I wasn't having a heart attack and my heart rate was fine, but there were some irregularities in how things sounded and my blood pressure was through the roof. Plus i felt super nauseous still, and was still getting chest pain and stomach pain. So they gave me an IV for hours, did a bunch of blood tests and gave me a bunch of different meds.

So 12 hours later, I was finally able to talk to a cardiologist and they asked about my symptoms and all that. I told her about how i definitely had alcohol poisoning, how i had energy drinks and cigarettes and no other drugs, and think i might have gotten sick from drinking water on the Cruise (At one point I remember being in the club trying to hydrate, when I saw the bartender just take a giant vat of water from the sink and put it in a water cooler for us to have). She suggested I probably had something called Pericarditis.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000182.htm

Long story short, I was in the hospital for a couple days and it turns out that yeah I had this viral infection in my heart. But the scariest part was them talking about doing possible heart surgery on me on Tuesday night, which freaked me the fuck out because I'm 28 and that if I had a potential blockage or whatever, alot of that has to do with all the stress i've been putting on my body for a long time now: I don't eat healthy (i eat plain jane fast food all the time); I drink alot every weekend; i smoke weed every now and then; i'm stressed from work, family and not having ANY money and a shitload of debt all the time (I think I've talked about this on here before: I still make like $650 after taxes every 2 weeks and live on that); I do work out 4-5 days a week, but i've had a thing called Compartment Syndrome for almost a year now where my legs get inflamed, so it hurts to run after awhile and i don't get good blood flow... but I do it anyway; and finally, I get depressed way too often about things since I'm a real social, intelligent and decent person, but everyone else is kicking ass in life and either living a similar dumb party lifestyle or just settling down and getting married, while I've been stuck in gear ever since I graduated from Grad School a year ago.

So this is all a pretty big wake up call to change alot of things. I can't do any physical activity for a month, and i don't know when I can go back to work yet. So I guess I'll see how its like to live healthy and sober for awhile. I gotta stick to a low sodium diet for at least a month and can't have any alcohol. Guess I'll just have to be productive in the mean time and stay away from all the bad shit out there.

Anyway, if you read this whole rant, thanks. This was probably the scariest experience of my life, so I guess the lesson here is don't let your bad habits build up so much, because it gets really tough to break from them, unless something traumatic happens to you that forces you to change. That's just how people are though, which is a bummer, but just make the best of things, and help people out when you can really tell they need to make a major change in their habits.

Edited by Mixhail

I work for a college's heart surgery/heart failure department.  I stumbled on an article that shows some of my bosses' salaries, as well as those of other doctors.  It's insane how much they get just from the school, and that doesn't even include what they get paid for doing surgeries.  Also, neurosurgeons make a fuck ton.

sounds like the pilot to a CW tv show about a guy who goes to a wild bachelor party gets infected... with evil.

by comitting these sins, you let a demon into your heart, and with each transgression... he grew stronger. (your heart hurt)

now you're starting to lose big chunks of time... and he's beginning to take over. (maybe you took a nap and had a dream)

a terrifying ordeal, each day worse than the last as you live in fear and shame with what you are becoming... but you kind of like it. (this is the mid season arc)

COMING SUMMER 2015

I work for a college's heart surgery/heart failure department.  I stumbled on an article that shows some of my bosses' salaries, as well as those of other doctors.  It's insane how much they get just from the school, and that doesn't even include what they get paid for doing surgeries.  Also, neurosurgeons make a fuck ton.

I know how much my anesthesiologists make too... it blows my mind. On top of their half a mil/year salary they can make 20k a month just for doing certain types of call or coming in early for two hours then coming back for their scheduled shift. 

I know how much my anesthesiologists make too... it blows my mind. On top of their half a mil/year salary they can make 20k a month just for doing certain types of call or coming in early for two hours then coming back for their scheduled shift. 

Yeah, it's insane.  My boss, a cardiothoracic surgeon, makes $412,000 per year just from the university, and that doesn't even cover doing surgeries, which I'm sure nearly ends up doubling that.

So crazy news on my front: today is my last day at my super low paying job with the Chamber of Commerce, and now I get to work on something way legit! I got hired by a consulting firm to do Labor Compliance on the big California High Speed Rail project (the big ol' fast train the state is building that will link San Francisco and LA). The crazy part is I went from interviewing for a freaking internship position at $18 an hour (that's how hard up I was for money) to getting hired for this gig the SAME day. At the interview, they realized I was waaaaay overqualified, had me do some tests and realized I was perfect for this job that they were desperate to fill. So I'm a freaking Deputy Manager II making $62k a year working on the biggest public works project in US History wooo! And the best part is I get to do some good, because I'll be working to make sure the state is hiring Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs) to work on the project, such as Women, Minority and Veteran owned businesses. The company I am joining up with also has a 7 year contract on it, so I'm set if I wanna stick around.

The downside? I have to move to freaking Fresno. I know no one there or nothing about that city. I had one friend who went to Fresno St. and said he loved it, but its like a farmers town in the middle of nowhere, so this could blow. Good news is that I apparently can live like a King there. According to CNNmoney.com, making 60k there is like making 90k in Orange County (and I still wanna move to Austin, where apparently making 45k there is like making 90k in the OC). So I start at the Orange office for a couple weeks, then I gotta move up to Fresno at the beginning of July. Worse comes to worst, I stick around for a year and maybe ask to move on to a different project. But I'll probably end up liking it, plus its only 3.5 hours away from LA and SF.

Crazy how all this went down a month after I posted my rock bottom post. Thank God.

That's awesome! I know how soul-draining it can be to live in a nearly constant state of anxiety re income/debt. Enjoy being solvent. 

Regarding Austin, though, there's no way those numbers are up to date. The cost of living here cannot be cheaper than living in Fresno. 

hi guys. you may not know me, but I once listened to a band called thrice. i'll be in denver for riot fest and good herbs and good beers. i just thought I should let someone know because I have no friends. :ph34r:

congrats mixhail, seems like a legit job... use that to continue to build to higher pay as you become more and more qualified... and with Fresno you could *potentially* save a lot of money for a future investment/project/property/etc.

^ Yeah everyone is pushing me to buy a freaking house in a couple of months already. Which is freaking me out because A) I don't know shit about property management because I've never had money before and B ) I don't know how attached I am to Fresno yet. I went up there last week for work already, and it was just hot as fuck. Plus I didn't get to see any of the good parts like in North Fresno; just all the poor sections by the 99 that are getting bulldozed for the Rail. Of course, everyone tells me to just rent out a house then if I move, which sounds smart but like a lot of work, so hmm.

^also, California seems like it might be going to hell, so it might not be smart to buy a house. That too.
I'm tempted to move to San Diego or SF (most likely the latter) if it were at all possible, but I doubt it (cost; water issues; wildfires, etc.)

^also, California seems like it might be going to hell, so it might not be smart to buy a house. That too.
I'm tempted to move to San Diego or SF (most likely the latter) if it were at all possible, but I doubt it (cost; water issues; wildfires, etc.)