suprefan

Random Thoughts

7,324 posts in this topic

Someone else who can't crack the code to edit the quotes & quotes of quotes... I'm not alone!  

You need to move.  That place sounds like a shithole.  You've proven yourself your own worth by your concern for this animal.  Take the dog and move.  Maybe take the dog and surrender it to a no kill because it "looks abused" ... hopefully it isn't chipped.  You also need to move.

For real. Are circumstances keeping you there, or is that just the quality of apartments you find in your area? 

I lived in a super shitty apartment my first two years of college, but never witnessed anything like what you described. 

It's actually not a bad neighborhood.  Atwater Village is gentrifying and home prices have skyrocketed in the last five years.  All my immediate neighbors are older Latino or Filipino families for the most part, and all are really pleasant and/or awesome.  It's pretty much only these crazies who moved in under the premise that he "has cancer" and is on disability. 

I thought about kidnapping the dog and either taking care of it myself, or taking it to a no-kill, but unfortunately the live-in girlfriend is a prostitute who is working out of the boyfriend's apartment while he's in prison, and the dog is attached to her at all times.  

She's been served with an eviction notice, but I don't think they're going to leave without a fight (she changed the locks and bought new mattresses for the place).  And I don't want to leave a good, rent-controlled living situation if I don't have to just because they're crazy.

Otherwise I'd probably give the same advice you guys gave me.

Edited by Jainn

Sucks being next to crazy. Best advice I can give you is get as close as you can to the Filipino people! The lumpia, the adobo, the pancit! I live in a Filipino heavy part of Texas, even married a 1/4 Filipino girl, and absolutely love the culture. 

Yes!  And kare kare.  Stuff is so good.   Neighbors leave the doors and windows open at night when they cook and it always smells amazing. 

I'm actually thinking of visiting the Philippines this year, so if you have any suggestions I'm open.

To get the most out of it, find someone from there to kinda play host and show you around. Also, get the hell out of Manila. There are some nice touristy parts, but it's mostly heartbreaking poverty, trash piled up 5 feet on the side of the road and a lot of street crime.

I've spent the most time in Ilocos, which is the norther half of the West  Coast of the main island. Every little region will have it's own language and specialized food, but if you pick up some key words and phrases in Tagalog you should be able to get by anywhere on the bigger islands. 

And assuming you're white, get ready to be the center of attention wherever you go. Not just having people cut their eyes and do double takes. Full blown yelling at you in the street and taking pictures with cell phones. 

Thanks for the tip.  Ilocos looks pretty fantastic.  That's weird about the yelling, I heard there were a lot of immigrant communities in the Philippines.  Not White, but I can pass, so I'll brace myself.

El Nido and Coron were also recommended to me, which are South of Manilla, so gonna try to see as much as I can.  

Most foreigners I saw were Korean, and they were primarily around the college in Baguio. I'll be spending a month split between Candon and Cazon City either late this year or early next year. Daniel (Think his old name on here was To What End? or CbJfartnugget or something) is around Manila a good bit for work. 

Be happy to do some recon work for you if there are spots you're interested in, or meet up if we happen to be there at the same time. 

So I have a fun story and some questions at the end...

Last weekend I went to Seattle to hang out with some people.  While there, I thought I'd buy legal marijuana just for the principle of it (yay liberal society and all).  I've smoked pot probably 20-25 times before, but for some reason this pot had effects on me that don't make any sense.

After smoking it, I walked up stairs with my cousin and his roommate to their living room.  I immediately felt the effects and said, "Dude I'm really high.  OMG I'm way too high."  Then I stood up.

When I stood up, I felt like I lost control of my body and repeated the same 5 seconds over and over and over again for what felt like months if not longer.  I would look at the roommate, then at a painting on the wall, then a flag, then at my cousin who was smiling.  At the end of the 5 seconds, I realized I had seen it before, but then it would start over and I would forget.

After repeating these same 5 seconds for, again, what felt like forever, I began to believe these 5 seconds were all I'd ever experienced.  I would try to think of something before these 5 seconds and I wouldn't be able to.  The loop would start over again.  I began to question whether this was hell.  That hell is just an infinite loop of a few moments as you realize you're in hell and then forget again repeatedly.

Eventually I focused hard enough on one object in the room to just stare at it and stop the loop.  It was so hard to do and I remember feeling a physical pain like a tingling sensation just trying to keep from repeating the same events.  After a long struggle, I got out of the house but I couldn't see or feel anything.  I began to see a street and cars and other houses but it was like I was creating them myself.

I snapped out of it for a second when my cousins roommate came and got me and took me back in the house.  I was so relieved to be out of what felt like torture and I wanted to tell them about it, but I didn't want to sit in the living room that I'd been looking at for months (in my mind).  They told me only about 10 minutes had passed.  We went downstairs and, as I started to tell them about it, the time loop began again and I got really depressed because I couldn't control it.

I don't remember much after that, but I punched and head butted their front door (which they locked for good reason) trying to get out of the time loop/hell.  In the process I ended up with stitches on my hand.  I didn't fully come out of it until the doctor was tending to me about 90 minutes later.

1.  How the hell could marijuana do this to someone?  I bought it from a dispensary; it's not like it could have been laced with something more intense. 

2. How is it possible to experience time like this?  Even with the influence of drugs, I don't get how 10 minutes could feel like months or years.  Anyone know any studies done on this?

I've been a pretty regular smoker for about 8 years, and I've had two experiences like that. Both times it was really strong weed, and I hadn't smoked in about a month prior to it happening. 

Basically, the dispensary weed is no fucking joke. If you don't have a tolerance built up, more than a few hits can give you almost edible effects.  A slowed perception of time is one of the biggest side effects, so a big dose your your system just amplifies the effect.

Since December 2014, I've had the pleasure of living and spending nine months in the US. I head back on Saturday and I don't know if I will ever get a chance to return. Hopefully I will. Fingers crossed. I like this country. Please don't make terrible political choices whilst I'm gone.

Most foreigners I saw were Korean, and they were primarily around the college in Baguio. I'll be spending a month split between Candon and Cazon City either late this year or early next year. Daniel (Think his old name on here was To What End? or CbJfartnugget or something) is around Manila a good bit for work. 

Be happy to do some recon work for you if there are spots you're interested in, or meet up if we happen to be there at the same time. 

That's awesome, I would definitely take you up on that offer.  My plans were for mid-spring of this year, but based on everything people have been telling me about the country, I can see myself planning a followup visit as soon as my return flight touches down.

So I might do the recon work this time around.  I'll PM you my contact info.

Since December 2014, I've had the pleasure of living and spending nine months in the US. I head back on Saturday and I don't know if I will ever get a chance to return. Hopefully I will. Fingers crossed. I like this country. Please don't make terrible political choices whilst I'm gone.

DISREGARD AND HAND ME MY GUN AND LEGAL WEED MOVING TO AMERICA BITCHES

Fuck, can I move to Australia and switcheroo with you?

I'm going to a tropical locale in the Caribbean soon too, Adam! Excited to legit do nothing and be waited on hand and foot. I've never stayed at a 5 star hotel so it should be interesting since I'm not the most ladylike female. Our last trip was amazing but exhausting. 

Holy flying fuck this place still exists!!!!! Haha! How's it going?

Oh you know just posting on the boreds, how's the glass business?

Holy flying fuck this place still exists!!!!! Haha! How's it going?

Oh you know just posting on the boreds, how's the glass business?

Glass is going great! I'll attach a couple pics of some recent projects I've made. How are you guys doing? What's new? Who's left on here for active members?

What the shit!  Damn you've leveled up the skills, Eric.  Nice work!

My wife wants to get a dog.  I wouldn't mind getting a dog, but I don't think we're not home enough for it to be fair to a dog.  Plus, the one she wants is a special needs dog.  So...we're probably not getting a dog.