Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wtfchuck

Diablo III

167 posts in this topic

The auction house system is a horrible fucking idea, and just goes to show that they're more after money-grubbing than ever. As for online only play, I have no issue with that. Who plays Diablo II offline? Nobody. Online play is what makes the game worthwhile in the first place.

I'd like someone to explain to me in detail, without getting too defensive, why the option of an auction house where you can sell gear you find personally, for real money, is going to affect you so negatively.

Keeping in mind, this auction house is optional, and there is another one for in game currency just the same, and you are perfectly capable of selling/buying items on either one yourself, just as anyone else is.

Why would anyone ever put a good item up on the in game currency AH if they could get real money for it?

Nail. Head. It will exclude people who aren't fucking idiots who pay real money for virtual items. Not sure how it's so hard to wrap your head around that, nick, and I'm unsure why Blizzard hasn't addressed that in any of their interviews. My only thought is that they don't give a shit - all they want is a slice of the pie they've been missing out on for so long. Chinese gold farmers/dupers/rich kids with their daddy's credit card will no longer be a bane to Blizzard - but a financial help. Too bad they'll still fuck over the game.

Don't normally get worked up over a game anymore but this is just bullshit and I can't believe that so many people don't see it and just lap up the Blizzard PR. Blizzard don't give a crap about the community anymore, think that's plainly obvious.

The DRM is crap because shitloads of people (including me sometimes) still play D2 on the laptop when they're on a 1 1/2 train ride every morning. Removing that possibility, to me, is a huge backwards step for PC games. Obviously Diablo is basically online-only - and that is quite obviously the best way to play it - but Diablo wont be the last game to use this kind of shitty DRM and Ubisoft are already implementing it in theirs. Why didn't they just go with the Starcraft 2 model?

But who cares? Why is it so bad that in order to get that item you have to either farm it yourself, or buy it? All this does is give YOU an opportunity to make some money too. You're at no disadvantage. It doesn't ruin your experience in any way. You don't HAVE to buy items. It's not required in any way. You are working with persistent characters with Diablo 3, there are online achievements involved, and tons of other features that can't exist in a single player environment. It makes perfect sense to need to be connected to B.net. Find something else to do on the train. You can't play your closed b.net characters on the train either.

Complaining about items being sold for real money is like complaining about someone selling something of theirs on ebay instead of trading it to you through a barter system. Big deal? They can do what they want. Don't get mad at Ebay for letting them make some money off shit they dont want anymore.

your also leaving yourself open for getting hacked and your shit being gone. blizzard doesn't have the best track record when it comes to anti hacking so you just upped the stakes for people to do so cause they can sell your shit for real cash in game.

But with Authenticators, secure passwords, and people not being idiots, you really can't get hacked anymore without any fault of your own. I don't buy it. People need to stop worrying so much about trivial shit. In the end, it's a game, and now you can make money off it legitimately. That's cool if you ask me.

The point here is that most people aren't going to be farming, they're going to be focused on buying all of their gear. The richest people with the most superfluous amounts of cash in their bank accounts will be using it to their advantage however they please, and will thereby ruin it for all of the normal gamers who are going to be dedicated to farming and magic finding their own gear like in any normal game. The real world money auction system creates a hierarchy and fucks up the idea of an even playing field for all gamers. Nearly every gamer can afford to pay the 50-60 dollars that the game will cost. What every gamer won't be able to afford (aside from Richie Rich, who is supported by his parents with 5 mansions in the Hamptons) is the money to buy elite gear at any given moment without having to worry about needlessly wasting real world income in order to compete with the shitfaced rich cunts who have no lives and spend all of daddy and mummy's cash on in-game items.

I get where Blizzard is coming from with the whole AH system.

In all my years of playing Diablo 2 I bought one item off ebay, and I have a feeling the vast majority of players will be in the casual buying group:

Younger guys with a little extra cash to throw at a stupid online item. I seriously doubt there are enough Richie Rich type kids playing to fuck up an economy Blizzard says will be completely regulated by the community.

Nail. Head. It will exclude people who aren't fucking idiots who pay real money for virtual items. Not sure how it's so hard to wrap your head around that, nick, and I'm unsure why Blizzard hasn't addressed that in any of their interviews. My only thought is that they don't give a shit - all they want is a slice of the pie they've been missing out on for so long. Chinese gold farmers/dupers/rich kids with their daddy's credit card will no longer be a bane to Blizzard - but a financial help. Too bad they'll still fuck over the game.

Don't normally get worked up over a game anymore but this is just bullshit and I can't believe that so many people don't see it and just lap up the Blizzard PR. Blizzard don't give a crap about the community anymore, think that's plainly obvious.

The DRM is crap because shitloads of people (including me sometimes) still play D2 on the laptop when they're on a 1 1/2 train ride every morning. Removing that possibility, to me, is a huge backwards step for PC games. Obviously Diablo is basically online-only - and that is quite obviously the best way to play it - but Diablo wont be the last game to use this kind of shitty DRM and Ubisoft are already implementing it in theirs. Why didn't they just go with the Starcraft 2 model?

But these "chinese gold farmers/dupers/rich kids with daddy's credit card" are STILL going to buy accounts and items REGARDLESS if Blizzard does it or not. What Blizzard has done is give EVERYONE an equal opporunity to pay for items, instead of only certain people willing to put forth a risk. You're complaining about something that's going go to be officially run, instead of run in the shadows where people can get fucked. Just because you don't like to buy items, doesn't mean that other people don't AND that it will ruin the game for you. Like I said before, those kids or whatever are going to buy and sell items regardless of Blizzard making it offical or not. Blizzard actually did something really smart this time.

As for the not being able to play offline.... That's preference. I like playing all of my games online, and actually find myself never playing games on road trips, EVER. But like I said, that's preference. Also, a shitload of people are not going to give a fuck about whether or not people won't play because of a lack of LAN and offline mode. I'll still fucking play it, and so will everyone else.

Also, if Blizzard doesn't give a crap about the commnutiy, they wouldn't host forums, or give people chat channels. Or in SC2, change maps to maps that people actually like to play on, and do not have obvious flaws. Or support SC2 tournaments (yeah, they actually going to a lot of them. MLG, GSL Finals, NASL, etc etc.). They give as much, if not more of a fuck, because this isn't just a business to them - This is art, and i think it's fucking ridiculous to even CLAIM they don't give a shit anymore. Yeah, they earn money because of what they're doing, and I'm not going to deny that obviously, that's their best interest. It is for everybody. You work to get money, to support yourself and/or your family or loved ones. They're doing the same thing, but you're getting mad about it.

The problem that I see is that people like you seem to think the game belongs to them, and that any changes have to be good by them. But it doesn't. If you don't like the game and features that Blizzard obviously thinks the community will enjoy, then you can just not play the game.

The point here is that most people aren't going to be farming, they're going to be focused on buying all of their gear. The richest people with the most superfluous amounts of cash in their bank accounts will be using it to their advantage however they please, and will thereby ruin it for all of the normal gamers who are going to be dedicated to farming and magic finding their own gear like in any normal game. The real world money auction system creates a hierarchy and fucks up the idea of an even playing field for all gamers. Nearly every gamer can afford to pay the 50-60 dollars that the game will cost. What every gamer won't be able to afford (aside from Richie Rich, who is supported by his parents with 5 mansions in the Hamptons) is the money to buy elite gear at any given moment without having to worry about needlessly wasting real world income in order to compete with the shitfaced rich cunts who have no lives and spend all of daddy and mummy's cash on in-game items.

What? how can everyone be buying gear... if someone has to find said gear to sell it first? Your logic makes no sense. Also, you're not being forced into buying items so you can keep up. This isn't World of Warcraft - when you enter the game, you can start a private game. Or play with your friends. You don't even have to deal with the people who are buying gear, unless you auto match make.

The thing is, there were a lot of people in D2 eventually, who didn't even find most of their gear. I remember trading items ALOT on D2 Closed Bnet. I had the entire Aldur's Watchtower set, that I didn't find a single fucking piece for myself. I traded for the damn thing with other items I had found or had even been given. The point is that people who buy gear (for real money) are essentially doing the exact the same thing - They're just using real money.

Even if half the population on Bnet buys their gear, you will NEVER HAVE to play with them without first doing something on your part, such as joining an AMM game, or custom game made by someone you don't know .You're just bitching because you're not fulling comprehending that Blizzard is only doing something that was already being done by the community, but finally making it legit, and preventing people from being scammed.

Hegemon Wiggin is getting my point. You have no reason to buy all the best gear. You're not missing out otherwise. You play with your friends, by yourself, or make a game with people who don't purchase the best items instead. There's no disadvantage to anyone if they DONT purchase gear, it doesn't matter to you if some dude with $100 lying around buys himself a nice set of gear. Why would it matter to you?

I mean the only way it could matter to you is in a good way, if you sold that gear and made dough of it.

Using real $ to buy gear is a weirddd, it takes the fun out of the game. I don't care if other people do it, it's not game breaking either. It's crazy because some people are going to make a shit load of money off of this game now. If you farm correctly you suddenly have a full time job playing Diablo 3.

Lol, Obviously they have to find the gear first, but at a certain point that is going to become moot, once the the game is put into full swing and all of the Diablo junkies magic find galore and turn it into a game of economics instead of a game built for fun.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't play with a whole horde of friends when I play games like Diablo III. It's impractical to try to fit an exact gaming time between a bunch of friends with all of our different real life schedules conflicting. Most of the time, I've played online with random users I've encountered based on what part of the game I'm currently tackling at the time. Also, the reasoning that one should play by oneself if they don't desire to get involved with the auction house whoring players is retarded. I'm not going to buy this game to play by myself. It's a multiplayer-centric game and therefore revolves around players interacting with each other in an environment that supports that style of game play. As for creating a game that limits players' wealth in items from letting them join --- is that even an option Blizzard has incorporated into the system for creating games?

Let's not forget things like level requirements, etc.

If you want to play with someone who is level 30, like you, set that level req. They're not going to running around in level 99 gold gear because they cant wear that shit yet. There's going to be no issue here, seriously.

Then how is someone buying gear, even a random person, who is your level range, going to affect you? If you play together at level 30, he will maybe have some cooler items, but they won't be anything that wont be replaced in a level or two, and won't give him any huge advantage. What's going to be the big deal to you?

I don't get it. Now that selling items is supported people are suddenly crying that others will utilise the system and have better equipment? It will be the same people buying this time as it was on D2, which was a very small minority. There will be a very slight decrease in the amount of players farming, but nothing noticable. It will just be like D2.

Edited by 椎名林檎

I don't get it. Now that selling items is supported people are suddenly crying that others will utilise the system and have better equipment? It will be the same people buying this time as it was on D2, which was a very small minority. There will be a very slight decrease in the amount of players farming, but nothing noticable. It will just be like D2.

That's correct. That's my point. I think people just automatically assume its going to be a terrible thing. They don't really stop and think about how it's not going to affect them.

How can you say that it will be the same group of people? This definitely widens up "the market" to a larger array of people who will be buying items and turning Diablo III it into Monopoly with minor Action RPG play.

Lol, Obviously they have to find the gear first, but at a certain point that is going to become moot, once the the game is put into full swing and all of the Diablo junkies magic find galore and turn it into a game of economics instead of a game built for fun.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't play with a whole horde of friends when I play games like Diablo III. It's impractical to try to fit an exact gaming time between a bunch of friends with all of our different real life schedules conflicting. Most of the time, I've played online with random users I've encountered based on what part of the game I'm currently tackling at the time. Also, the reasoning that one should play by oneself if they don't desire to get involved with the auction house whoring players is retarded. I'm not going to buy this game to play by myself. It's a multiplayer-centric game and therefore revolves around players interacting with each other in an environment that supports that style of game play. As for creating a game that limits players' wealth in items from letting them join --- is that even an option Blizzard has incorporated into the system for creating games?

Think of it this way- If Blizzard decided not to implement the AH feature into their game, people would still be buying gear. If that was the case, then you still would have no idea if a person did or didn't buy their gear. You just know they have the gear, but not where it comes from.

The point is that it doesn't matter if people buy their gear, do runs for it, or God himself came down and gave it to them, because you won't know if they did or didn't. The only thing you do know that it's a possibility, and that Mr. Creedy, doesn't matter in the long run. You should be happy because like Nickzed said, this only benefits you. Unless of course you're going to do Arenas, but lets be honest - Anyone who takes arenas seriously is going to do lots of runs or spend as much money as they can to be god like, because that's how PvPers are.

How can you say that it will be the same group of people? This definitely widens up "the market" to a larger array of people who will be buying items and turning Diablo III it into Monopoly with minor Action RPG play.

Why would someone buy an item and not use it? What's the purpose of having the most bad ass gear possible (from either buying or running for it) if you're never going to use it? You can't show off your car if it just sits in the driveway. Sure, you spent millions of dollars on it - But it just sits in your driveway. With that being said, is there anything wrong with buying a car and keeping it in your driveway for the looks? Absolultely not. It's your money, and if that's how you want to use your car, then go ahead. I may disagree with you, but that's not my call to make.

People have different play styles when it comes to a lot of games. Even if the majority of people played the game purely to make profit, there are still others who will play the game as an Actoin RPG. Is there an intended style? I don't think so. Play it how you want, and stop worrying about how others play or view the game.

For the PvP gear thing, its true. I didn't even consider that. If they didn't let oyu buy items for real money, people would still do it on Ebay or whatever, the hardcore PvPers, so its going to be no different