Why is being called a cunt so offensive?

33 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I thought a cunt was a pussy. I don't get it. Maybe it's a white thing because I've never heard the word used in any black movies, stand up comedy, or anything. Enlighten me pale faces.

Posted · Report post

I agree, I don't get it. A word is a word, what the heck is so bad about this one.

Posted · Report post

I dont think its that bad, some people freak out when they hear it.... I just tell them to stop being so cunty.

Posted · Report post

But does it mean something other than vagina? I know it's used towards women who are evil, frigid, bitches but it seems like the word cunt is worse than calling someone an evil, frigid, bitch.

Posted · Report post

hmm. not sure. jim jefferies uses it a lot. hilarious.

the word doesn't offend me. although, i have a bit of a potty mouth.

edit: kooka!

Posted · Report post

It doesn't offend me either. To be honest, I kind of prefer it. It has a cleaner sound to it than "pussy", and I always feel a little more satisfied after I say it than "bitch". Switches things up a little.

I have a friend who can't stand it, but she justifies her anger by saying it's "disrespectful" - this doesn't clarify things much, so I've always been in the dark. Glad I'm not alone.

hmm. not sure. jim jefferies uses it a lot. hilarious.

the word doesn't offend me. although, i have a bit of a potty mouth.

/edit: JayG makes an excellent point re: semantics. I hadn't put a whole lot of thought into that before!

Posted · Report post

I think it's just generally a nasty sounding word. It's more semantic than anything. You usually only hear it used as in "so and so is a cunt", and not a women using it to actually describe her hoo-ha.

Of course, we can change that. Let's start a cunt movement.

*edit* or for a different opinion, see post above!

Posted · Report post

haha Ice T just tweeted about this the other day.

-I never knew 'CUNT' was a bad word till I started hanging around white people..I was like.. Wow. I coulda used that in sooo many songs!

-Do black people know the word 'CUNT' drives white women crazy??!! I don't think so..

-RT @khal: I don't think we use "cunt" at all RT Do black people know the word 'CUNT' drives white women crazy??!! I don't think so..

-Doesn't cunt mean pussy?? So wouldn't it be worst to call a man "A little punk ass cunt??"

-RT @maytagman1: @FINALLEVEL Lol! Then there is a Gunt.... When a women has a gut that hangs down over her cunt... > Oh Shit...

-RT @njnettie:So what word is the black equivalent ? > Dirty, lowlife, once a month bleedin, stank,skank,slut bucket, biaaaaaach..In 1 breath

-RT @TwittsMcGee: I never thought @Cocosworld's husband would be such a misogynist. Pretty disappointing> How?? I'm just asking about a word?

Posted · Report post

I saw someone rt ice t that's where I got this question from. ive been wondering it for a while though.

Posted · Report post

Louis CK has a funny bit about how "cunt" isn't a very good word for vagina. Since vagina are such wonderful, lovely things and cunt sounds like a something that would stab you in the face. Or something.

Posted · Report post

SOMEBODY SHOOT THAT CUNT WITH A BAZOOKA!

IT'S GOING TO STEP ON THE CANDY STORE!

Posted · Report post

People overused it, It lost it's impact.

Posted · Report post

I don't understand the hate for it either. However, as it is the only curse word that actually offends people, I am quite happy to have it in my arsenal. Stupid cunts should really know their place.

Posted · Report post

It's such a round and chocolatey word.

Posted · Report post

It's got a lot of hard consonants.

I actually learned a little bit about this in a linguistics class I took...phonology has a lot to do with how words are perceived. It just sounds like a mean and ugly word. "Pussy" sounds softer and less harsh. Also, there's "pussy" as in "pussy cat." Cunt is just cunt.

Posted · Report post

c word makes me incredibly uncomfortable

very very very few things make me uncomfortable

i absolutely hate the word

i wish i could offer an explanation

Posted · Report post

the fact that it polarizes people is what is so wonderful. i can say fuck, and you'll probably just brush it off. but if i call you a loopy cunt... well, it's on.

Posted · Report post

What a bunch of squirrelly cunts you guys are.

Even when you put a cute animal in front of the word it sounds bad.

Posted · Report post

I think the word cunt is offensive to women. It happens to be a harsher synonym for "pussy," a word that can have another meaning but is commonly used as a derogatory term to suggest that someone is being "like a woman" with the suggestion that they are "weak."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunt

Posted · Report post

It's got a lot of hard consonants.

exactly. it just has an abrasive sonic quality that people pick up on.

Posted · Report post

Bentley there's probably a long list of words you don't like directed towards you. Use your noggin and figure it out