atila

Prince

37 posts in this topic

I know nothing of prince other than the singles. I've always been kind of indifferent...

But to see you guys talk about him in this thread, I'll give him another chance. Are you serious when you say he's one of the best guitarists out there? I had no idea he was regarded highly for skill at the guitar.

not sure if you're trying to troll, but watch the vid a couple posts above yours

no, I'm really not meaning to troll. I've apparently completely missed the mark, because when I think Prince, all I see is some music video where he's wearing a purple suit. I always thought he was like a lady gaga type... just an outlandish vocal performer. Didn't even know he really played the guitar.

The video was cool. Definitely more talented than I gave him credit for.

the guy knows how to play about 35 instruments, and well. You think the guy was a one trick pony? Think again. When I saw him the other week, he ended up on the keyboards, drums and bass guitar and killed it.

Interesting... even before I saw him live and had that indifferent opinion about him, I always knew he was considered one of the greatest guitarists ever - I thought it was a common knowledge kind of thing.

He was a pioneer in so many ways.. the guy had the #1 single, #1 album, and #1 movie all at once during some point in the 80's. He was always going against the grain, against corporations, against military and nuclear proliferation (the song 1999 is a protest to nukes).

He's won a shit ton of grammy's, golden globe and even an academy award. He produces, writes, engineers, and plays almost all the instruments on his albums. The dude is insane!

Damn the discussions on this board (especially by Atila) always made me want to see Prince live. Always loved the videos of his performances. Not only in playing but just the crazy presentation. Super bummed about his passing.

Really need to get some Paul McCartney tickets.

MAN!!!!!!! Thanks for bumping. Watching suprefans awesome videos was nice. Can't believe he's gone. I'm surprised it's been bugging me as much as it has. So glad I got to see him three times but I wish there was a few more.