Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Midwestern Stylings

The Hip-Hop thread

114 posts in this topic

Hey, so I could use a few recommendations, boredies. Think of this as a last.fm-like experiment on a more personal level.

Here are my favorite hip-hop albums by my favorite MCs, Producers, or groups:

Nas - Illmatic

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

The Roots - Do You Want More?! / Game Theory / How I Got Over

People Under the Stairs - O.S.T.

Nujabes - Modal Soul

There's a bunch more that I like, but these are the albums that I absolutely couldn't do without. Without them, I'd be lesser the fan of hip-hop in general.

Any recommendations of this quality?

Joey Bada$$ - 1999

Hahaha, I love this video thanks for the link. After you posted it I got into watching a bunch of his stuff, he is a pretty socially conscious dude.

This track is so good.

I don't get big into hip-hop and being a middle class white kid from Utah, I tend not to get ghetto theme rap.... yes that was the least racist way I could figure out how to write that. So people that tend to rap about more socially conscious themes tend to be what I like. Mos Def, Talib, Lupe, Common, Sage Francis etc. Anybody got any more artists in a similar vein?

To contribute something somewhat new to this thread (probably not new to you guys though)

I ain't all about economies so the fact that these whack MCs is makin Gs don't bother me.

I'm going to keep posting songs from this CD, It's so good.

Would you care to upload that Styles of Beyond album? I just listened to their older one, 2000 Fold, recently and liked it quite a lot.

Edited by Capricancerous

new big boi and game album's leaked... listening to the new big boi is very interesting, a change of pace, pretty progressive sounding i think in that it has some off-tempo and weird beats, i like it but it's going to take a few listens to digest thing. very indie based, for sure. sad couldn't get anything with andre on it, apparently his contract obligations with other stuff prevented him from finishing anything in time.

edit: all the tracks with phantogram are killer

Edited by atila

new big boi and game album's leaked... listening to the new big boi is very interesting, a change of pace, pretty progressive sounding i think in that it has some off-tempo and weird beats, i like it but it's going to take a few listens to digest thing. very indie based, for sure. sad couldn't get anything with andre on it, apparently his contract obligations with other stuff prevented him from finishing anything in time.

I really liked sir luscious leftfoot, but this new album hasn't done it for me two listens through. I have only listened to it while playing madden, so I guess I could listen a little closer.

I really liked sir luscious leftfoot, but this new album hasn't done it for me two listens through. I have only listened to it while playing madden, so I guess I could listen a little closer.

It's not as good by any means, but there are some good tracks.

The new album from Game is pretty solid. There are 4 tracks I liked a lot right off the bat - the opener, "All That (Lady)", the track with Kendrick, and the track that follows it, "Can't Get Right". There are a handful of other solid songs too, but those were definitely the stand out tracks to me. I like the album, I think it's a good listen, especially if you're a fan of his/his style.

The production isn't as impressive as his last album but his voice sounds about a billion times better (zach this is for you). My biggest gripe would be the number of super commercial rappers featured on the album kinda making the sound a bit bland... otherwise, it's above average as a whole.