Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dodgerbolt

Bill Simmons

136 posts in this topic

I don't really get why being a rapper is used against Will Smith when you could use being a hearththrob against Depp or DiCaprio.

Smith was one of the softest rappers & a guy you could always bring home to: it wasn't a major stretch.

So basically Will Smith has talent, but we're not holding it against him because he only wants to make blockbusters?

so in your mind, being a "heartthrob" is a talent akin to rapping?

seriously, I dare you to read any of your own posts.

so in your mind, being a "heartthrob" is a talent akin to rapping?

seriously, I dare you to read any of your own posts.

No, but go see the roles that those guys do like Depp in 21 Jump Street.

Those guys might have an easier time getting roles, but they still have to fight a perception of becoming respectable to male audiences rather than the females who swoon for them.

We saw it with DiCaprio, Pitt, + Depp a bit.

We might or might not see it with Efron, Pattinson, Radcliffe, or Lautner.

I'm holding my breath on some of those guys.

But Smith was a really safe rapper.

His talent/charisma shown through like Timberlake's, in a way.

I'd like to see the Rock get a suitable role for himself, but it doesn't look like that'll change either.

He's more of an exception, but he had to kind of battle against Romeo and Juliet and Titanic's success for being respected by certain audiences (people that like Scorsese).

He was more tasteful with what he wanted to do and it took awhile to find it.

A guy like Will Smith found it never bothered to do anything else.

He's a grand success, but he doesn't do good or memorable work.

There's just certain guys lurking around that you know are better than what they've been given.

At some point in time, you may have to say that they're not tasteful with it.

I've always liked Downey, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Taylor Kitsch, Idris Elba, and you knew that they might get their breakout hit. Guys as talented as that don't go unnoticed.

Then there's others that have gotten stuck and are at a standstill with shit roles and you almost want them to fire their agent.

People know who they are, but they have to fight a bit harder.

I imagine everybody on here has 'it' actors that they root for that are well-known that are stuck doing bad work or stuff beneath them.

And others that are not well-known who can't catch a break (Donal Logue & Kevin Corrigan from Grounded for Life, for instance: when given better work, they always surprise + deliver).

You could go on with Norm MacDonald.

Dave Chappelle (was my favorite comic even before Half-Baked came...but I had no idea just how great he was even when Chappelle's Show blew up)

How many times do you see an actor you 'like' but not necessarily love go from making movies to signing up for a TV show and you think 'that makes total sense, I'm in' ?

Maybe those guys might be a failure at being a movie star or being DiCaprio, but they go on to do great work.

I'm surprised no one has called him out about Radcliffe being a "heartthrob".

I avoided that sentence entirely for his sake because again it was just too....

Graham_Chapman_Colonel.jpg

...silly.

Seriously though Cassidy, take Phil's advice. Your posts are starting to make me worry about you. You're just rambling like a mad man. You've mentioned Daniel Radcliffe, Norm Macdonald and Zach Effron all in the same thread. It goes against order in the universe.

I'm surprised no one has called him out about Radcliffe being a "heartthrob".

Yeah, that's a stretch.

He's 5'5'' + I laughed during the latest Harry Potter movie in almost every scene he was in.

He's well-aware of how ridiculous it is that he's a 5'5'' action star.

But he's inherently a 'heartthrob' because he's Harry Potter.

He's had to fight that with his chest hair + by doing Broadway plays naked to show that he's serious + taking risks to fight having been Harry Potter.

Does he have to do those roles? No, he's Harry Potter.

Same for Robert Pattinson playing Dali to dial it back a little.

I'm always interested to see if they succeed or bomb and don't know what to make of them at all since I don't like either.

They sometimes bomb hard (Pattinson in Remember Me), but you can't always rule them out.

I do like Kristen Stewart though and have been impressed by her, even if Twilight just shits on that.

Seriously though Cassidy, take Phil's advice. Your posts are starting to make me worry about you. You're just rambling like a mad man. You've mentioned Daniel Radcliffe, Norm Macdonald and Zach Effron all in the same thread. It goes against order in the universe.

You said you liked Chris Evans!

He did Sunshine + Scott Pilgrim in a field of shit compared to Reynolds doing Adventureland.

Somehow, you're shitting on that completely just to disagree and be a dick.

And I don't like Efron at all, but I can see him maybe catching the right break.

Because there's guys out there who will catch a break because it always happen and when it happens you will say 'I always liked that guy' or you will just say 'fuck, I can't fight it anymore: that guy's good' (Justin Timberlake).

And then there's guys who just don't and that might be guys like Evans or Reynolds.

You said you liked Chris Evans!

He did Sunshine + Scott Pilgrim in a field of shit compared to Reynolds doing Adventureland.

Somehow, you're shitting on that completely just to disagree and be a dick.

And I don't like Efron at all, but I can see him maybe catching the right break.

Because there's guys out there who will catch a break because it always happen and when it happens you will say 'I always liked that guy' or you will just say 'fuck, I can't fight it anymore: that guy's good' (Justin Timberlake).

And then there's guys who just don't and that might be guys like Evans or Reynolds.

I'm not saying you can't like any of those guys. Like whatever actors and whatever films you want. You can have posters on your wall of Ryan Reynolds for all I care. But your posts are all over the place and the perfect evidence of that is how you can somehow get to mentioning Norm MacDonald, Leonardo DiCaprio, Will Smith, Daniel Radcliffe and Dave Chapelle all in the same thread. It really is the perfect illustration of how dumb the article that we're all arguing about is.

^yeah. Well...shit.

I'm not saying you can't like any of those guys. Like whatever actors and whatever films you want. You can have posters on your wall of Ryan Reynolds for all I care. But your posts are all over the place and the perfect evidence of that is how you can somehow get to mentioning Norm MacDonald, Leonardo DiCaprio, Will Smith, Daniel Radcliffe and Dave Chapelle all in the same thread. It really is the perfect illustration of how dumb the article that we're all arguing about is.

Every argument we've ever had has been dumb.

There's logic in my posts someone, but my rambling makes it seem like there probably is none.

holy fuck. What is worse, Bill Simmons writing a column on shitty movies and shitty movie stars, or fucking ARGUING ABOUT THAT COLUMN ON A FORUM!

A few of you guys need to find regular access to vagina.

^well, it's hard! The economy!

Yeah, I can't believe I'm going on this long about the column.

D-Bolt is pissed that this turned into a monster and into something else completely.

Haha wow, I missed the last handful of posts somehow.

I just came in here to lament the days where Simmons wrote two columns a week and they seemed to be just for entertainment, not trying to make some ground-breaking observation about pop-culture or discover some new "theory". When's the last time he did a mailbag or a chat marathon?

:(

^it's lame that he hasn't done a mailbag, but things are really fucking dead right now.

I was so pissed during the 2nd half of his podcast when he talked about Breaking Bad with Jason Whitlock, he said that he hasn't made it past the first season because his son lost disc 3 when he said he was going to get into the show during the 'dead season' in sports in 2009ish (after NBA & NHL end their seasons + before football).

It's a weak excuse and he's had 3 years to get into the show when he has guys like Sepinwall on the show all the time.

How do you NOT get into the show?

It's one thing to be married + have kids as an excuse to not watching some of the best shows.

But get around to that show instead of the reality TV shit.

What's the point of having Whitlock on when he's seen the show and you haven't...he should have had Klosterman hosting the BS Report to engage Whitlock on Breaking Bad being the best show over the Wire, who is so biased towards the Wire, and said that season 3 of Breaking Bad 'took a major step back' when it was probably its best season.

There's an argument for Breaking Bad being a better show than the Wire, but the argument wasn't in Klosterman's column. But Klosterman did make the point before that the creators of the show were more interested in the HD experience.

So for the first time in my life I finally got around to watching Hoosiers about 2 weeks ago, then I saw that Simmons had the horrible idea of selling a book of articles from Grantland. In it was also a running diary of Hoosiers. I looked it up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/040302

Pretty amazing how much better/funnier he is now. Also funny how dated almost all of his jokes are. Crazy I've been reading Simmons for over 9 years!

I foolishly tuned in to the BS Report today with Buster Olney, thinking they'd be talking about my Rangers and post season baseball. How stupid of me. Of course they're talking about the Red Sox.

I hate this man.

The theme song to the B.S. report came on my Pandora today, at the appropriate moment I said "Welcome to the N.M. report, it's a sunny day here in Northern California" in my nasaliest voice. Of course everyone around my desk looked at me weird. I didn't bother explaining.

/nerd.

/cool story bro.