Supra

NFL 2010-11...and 12.

14,864 posts in this topic

Hard Knocks ep 3

JJ Watt's fumble...
.@NFLFilms didn't include the best part of the Watt forced fumble: O'Brien sort of taunted him back out bc he left after a pass. One of the best plays, considering his coach just called him out, I've ever seen at an NFL camp practice. Otherworldly.

-did they seriously show JJ Watt catching balls for, like, 1 minute? haha

Mixhail: Damn, I did not know about Bill O'Brien's poor kid. This is sadder than learning bout the new JV coach's paralyzed kid in Mighty Ducks 3

saw this tweet and was not prepared. I think I kind of heard about the situation, but it was far worse than I imagined it would be seeing the way his son was strapped and incapable of doing anything at all.

I kinda think the JUGS reel on JJ was a message of repetition because they'd showed him being there doing work with it late in the 1st episode.  What kind of D-lineman is working on point blank catches out of the machine?  The general audience is gonna think those late nights and extra work are just for the HBO crew, but that's every day for him.  

The Texas Medical Center in Houston is generally regarded as the best medical center in the world and it's literally overlooking NRG Park (Astrodome, NRG Stadium, Texans practice facilities).  Jack is why Bill O'Brien accepted the Houston job without interviewing anywhere else.  He'd pulled his name from consideration of the Eagles, Browns, Cardinals & Chargers after his 1st season at Penn State because of "integrity" and the "commitment to his players."  (You can see now in Hard Knocks that integrity is real to him, not just a canned excuse.)  When Bob McNair and the Texans came calling a year later, not only was it philosophically a fit within the organization, but Houston was the best fit for his family.  And there was plenty of controversy surrounding it because of what he'd said the year before, but the situation couldn't be any more ideal.

5528374804_f167f0210e_b.jpg

Astrodome & NRG Stadium top right.  I'm not sure where they made their home, but there are nice neighborhoods nearby where they wouldn't be far from his work or care.

yeah, that's good...makes sense.
He's from Dorchester, so I do wish he would have stayed with the Pats and maybe be Belichick's eventual replacement in 5 years or whatever. But it's clear he was always meant for more as a coach.

Randall Cobb suffers AC joint sprain
he thought he broke his collarbone initially
early into the season...but...Packers are banged up a bit.

Jim Harbaugh: being a douche

http://deadspin.com/john-harbaugh-yells-at-jay-gruden-then-bullies-sideline-1727561138?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

a good question: "John, with your brother Jim out of the league are you overcompensating to be the douchiest coach?"

in his defense, the Washington player's tackle of the WR was absolute bullshit but...
-funny to hear Suggs/Harbaugh defend Suggs' excessive/late preseason hit on Bradford that went low on his ACL on the first series...they said 'know the rulebook' which is funny because the Ravens, mainly Suggs/Harbaugh, complained postgame about the Pats' 4 OL formation that was legal. Brady hit them back with the simple, 'know the rulebook' line.

He's annoying/complains on the sideline over everything...not as over-the-top as his brother.
-stood up for Ray Rice
-backed Donald Trump on building a wall on the border. Pretty much outed himself as an asshole then and there.

but yeah, John Harbaugh is a great coach and his Ravens are consistent...but I hate that franchise.

Frank Clark tried to punch Philip Rivers
I watched clip multiple times, but had trouble seeing it. I just saw Philip Rivers grabbing on to Clark's jersey, so I imagine it happened before.

Pats-Panthers
James Develin (starting FB/TE) broke his tibia with 8 minutes left in the 4th. Leg got caught in the turf. Bummer...could be placed on IR, but is out for 6-8 weeks after surgery; no torn ligaments. Clean break. May be put on IR with designation to return...but I think the team will just put him on IR and roll with 4 TE's (Gronk; Hooman; Scott Chandler; Michael Williams via Lions) and hope Jimmay Mundine sticks on Practice Squa

Dan Wetzel: NFL could get favorable Deflategate ruling...and still lose
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/roger-goodell--nfl-could-get-favorable-deflate-gate-ruling-yet-still-lose-010959640.html

my prediction: the judge sides with the league...but puts them on absolute blast like he has the entire time.

where the league wins...

Make no mistake: legally the NFL still holds a strong position. Based on the 2001 United States Supreme Court decision MLBPA v Garvey, judges can't step in and revoke arbitrators' decisions even if it determines "improvident, even silly, fact-finding."

if there's no injunction given, Brady can't practice from September 5th-on. I'm hopeful, but the fucking law blows.

'Concussion' trailer released with Will Smith...and Luke Wilson as Roger Goodell haha

pretty much the league's nightmare
also the title should have been, 'League of Denial'

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-08-31/is-the-nfl-like-the-tobacco-industry-

it frames the NFL to look like the tobacco industry a la 'the Insider'

Dan Wetzel: In a test of egos and legacies, it's all or nothing now: Brady, Goodell ignore each other; roll dice with deflategate judge
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/roger-goodell-and-tom-brady-ignore-each-other--roll-dice-with-deflate-gate-judge-180816187.html

decision comes tomorrow or Wednesday; Judge knows how he'll rule already

either way, I fully expect Goodell to be lit a new one by the judge even if he wins.
I am betting it won't be vacated, however much I wish it would be. We'll see.

haha no settlement offer was made; but the NFL offered to cut Brady's suspension to 3 games IF Brady admitted guilt. hahahaha...

KenTremendous: That settlement offer is pure NFL: absurd, arrogant, unrealistic, counter-productive, & utterly ignorant of how foolish it makes them look.

Steph Stradley on what should happen in Deflategate with FAQ (Texans beat writer w/ law degree)
http://www.stradleylaw.com/deflategate-legal-faqs-settlement/

Bills release Fred Jackson
long liked him from afar and would like him on the Pats if possible.
But the Pats got depth: Dion Lewis/James White (3rd down backs); Jonas Gray (possibly cut); Brandon Bolden (valued real highly for special teams play)
Travaris Cadet will be cut since he's not healthy.
Blount is suspended week 1 so won't count for the 53 until thereafter.

Drew Magary: WHY YOUR TEAM SUCKS: the Baltimore Ravens
http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2015-baltimore-ravens-1726937950

Watching robots get tackled is so satisfying
http://gizmodo.com/watching-robots-get-tackled-is-so-very-satisfying-1727698518?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

imagine this will be used in college/pro levels a lot once the technology gets better.

Kevin Wildes: new sport alert

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NFL PREDICTIONS

AFC East
Pats: 11-5
even without Brady, I still think they can be OK. Worried about the O-Line/secondary and WR depth. And Gronk being healthy. Not worried about the D-Line. Lot of depth there at the end.
Dolphins: 10-6
like Jarvis Landry Y2.  Suh is a dirty cunt who shouldn't be playing in the NFL; will be terrifying to go up against him 2-3x/year. If they don't make the playoffs, Philbin gets fired. He probably should, but we'll see. Suh got vastly overpaid. 
Bills: 9-7
no QB or O-Line; but they got legit weapons to work with (Watkins; Woods; McCoy; Clay; Harvin), but legit top 2-3 D in the league and a massive coach upgrade that will only help that. I watched Charles Clay play last year and wished he was on the Pats; Bills overpaid for him though. They're going to be tough to face....and Richie Incognito is dirty even when ignoring the bullying: shouldn't be playing in the league. Don't feel great going up against that.
Jets: 6-10
no QB. Legit D though...Sheldon is a great player, but he fucked himself over by being a world-class dumbass/asshole. Can't believe they landed Leonard Williams. Calvin Pryor is interesting in Y2.

AFC WEST
Broncos: 10-6
I see a team that wants to and HAS to reduce what Peyton does and will run more. Already lost Julius Thomas. Thankfully gained Evan Mathis. Wonder how Peyton will operate with Kubiak.
Chiefs: 8-8
love their D and awesome Eric Berry is back...but Alex Smith sucks. How do you go a season without a single passing TD to a WR? In today's era?! Holy shit.
Chargers: 8-8
can see them being worse. They got off to a hot start but flailed...interested in if Keenan Allen bounces back, Jason Verrett healthy, what their O-Line does, if Rivers can stay healthy, how Melvin Gordon does, Woodhead back. Gates is suspended first 4
Raiders: 5-11
love Khalil Mack and think Amari Cooper is legit. Might have the Raiders stink on him for sure, but fuck it.

AFC SOUTH
Colts: 13-3
still don't like their D or think they're built to last. They can be explosive offensively and stats, but I don't think it's enough. Andrew Luck is my pick for MVP though. They'll blow it though in the playoffs.
Texans: 8-8
still a shit situation at QB. No Arian Foster. Lost Andre Johnson. The ceiling for what Clowney was in 2014 vs what it is now? Just disappointing.
Jaguars: 5-11
Dante Fowler goes down, so the hopes for things weren't great from there. Blake Bortles was always a project QB. I think their team plays hard for their coach though.
Titans: 2-14
worst team in the league maybe. I don't know what to make of Mariota, but I know his team sucks; Jason McCourty just had groin surgery. Some team has to suck badly.

AFC NORTH
Ravens: 11-5
well-run franchise with people I fucking loathe (their owner Bisciotti; John Harbaugh being the most insufferable coach in the league; Terrell Suggs being one of the dirtier dudes, etc). Still, they're consistently good and always in there....lost Torrey Smith, Haloti Ngata, and Gary Kubiak. Kubiak opened up their game, so we'll see what they do.
Bengals games.: 8-8
I don't see a team getting better. They've just been what they are at QB. Weren't healthy last year though, so there's some hope.
Steelers: 7-9
not a good start with injuries/suspensions. With their shit D, they are going to get absolutely demolished this year.
Browns: 3-13
get Alex Mack back to the most loaded O-Line alongside the Cowboys. But I don't know who they're passing to or running with. Disappointing Josh Gordon is a fuckhead. And Manziel is probably out of the league in a year or 2. Dude has to now change his throwing motion. WTF?
NFC SOUTH
Falcons: 8-8
Desmond Trufant emerges as one of the great CB talents in the league.
Panthers: 6-10
Kelvin Benjamin=huge injury. Think they have a harder schedule too than the other people in division
Bucs: 5-11
I'd like to pick this team as the division winner with all their talent, but I just can't. I think Winston could get injured...or throw 25 TD's, but throw 30 picks. He is painful to watch at times. I see him getting hurt.
Saints: 5-11
Brandin Cooks Y2 should be great. Lost Junior Gallette, Jimmy Graham, Kenny Stills, etc...I see Brees on the decline and might be his last year with the Saints

this division still sucks.
NFC NORTH
Packers: 11-5
had this team going 13-3 and winning the Super Bowl immediately after the Pats-Seahawks SB up until Jordy Nelson tore his ACL. Now? I don't know. Got banged up this preseason.
Vikings: 10-6
Adrian Peterson=all-time piece of shit, but he's still the #1 RB in the league to me. Like their drafting.
Lions: 7-9
Do you give up on Stafford after this?...don't know if it's a step backwards to take a step forwards losing Suh/Fairley, but we'll see...like Ameer Abdullah.
Bears: 3-13
Kevin White goes down; Brandon Marshall traded out (understandable). Somehow went after Ray McDonald. Charles Tillman leaves....this team will blow; I only wish Phil could blow me too.
NFC WEST
Seahawks: 12-4
Russell Wilson is so stupid/douchey the more he speaks. He was supposed to be viewed as football's Derek Jeter: likable, inoffensive, respected. Turns out that's not the case. He's kind of fucking insane and a scary psychopath: when I hear him talk, he's so full of shit at all times. But it's also easy to see that his insane belief in himself is what makes him great too...gained Jimmy Graham, lost James Carpenter/Max Unger on an already shaky O-Line.
Rams: 6-10
Aaron Donald Y2=can't wait. But this team still has zero offense, even with Todd Gurley (who is recovering from an ACL injury anyway). They move to LA after this year maybe.
Cardinals: 6-10
still no QB. Hard to talk yourself into Carson Palmer post-ACL injury.
49ers: 4-12
might be better than you think. Lost a lot of talent and had the worst offseason. But they still got more than you think. Also, by all accounts, the team gave up on Harbaugh last year...I think Kaepernick is allowed to run more this season.
NFC EAST
Cowboys: 11-5
Scandrick injury hurts, but I dig their O-Line too much. Not sure they can replace DeMarco's running (I wouldn't have paid him up either) but whomever is back there will run for 1000 easily. They're going to need it because I wouldn't rely on Romo too much. Even with DeMarco and it being Romo's healthiest season, he still got his back fucking broken...they get Greg Hardy/Rolando McClain back late. Byron Jones' shoulder is banged up.
Eagles: 9-7
I wanted to put this team lower given how their coach has unceremoniously shipped out/shaped his roster, but I can't.
Giants: 6-10
Victor Cruz pairs up with Odell; hopefully Odell's hamstrings stay healthy....having safety/O-Line issues and season hasn''t started yet. Tom Coughlin is a REALLY inconsistent coach; won in 2007, 2011, so this would be the 4 years. But just not great: Jason Pierre-Paul blew his thumb off. That dude, in 2011, was on the verge of being a poor man's JJ Watt. But his back/body failed him. 
Washington: 3-13
coaching staff/players openly hate RG3. I think they want to have him killed. Sounds like Dan Snyder is RG3's champion, so yeah, good luck dealing with the worst owner in sports...already lost Junior Gallette 

------------------------------------------------------------------
MVP: Andrew Luck
runner-ups: JJ Watt; Aaron Rodgers; Tom Brady; Russell Wilson
Defensive Player of Year: JJ Watt
Runner-Ups: Aaron Donald; Justin Houston; Earl Thomas; Luke Kuechly; Darrelle Revis; Lavonte David; Khalil Mack; Bobby Wagner

Offensive Rookie of Year: Amari Cooper 
don't know what to make of Derrick Carr, but clear he needed actual help. the clips I see of Cooper, he is amazing.
Defensive Rookie of Year: fuck if I know

BREAKOUT PLAYERS
QB-Teddy Bridgewater (Vikings)
WR-Mike Evans (Bucs)-not a full-out breakout because I don't like Jameis
WR-Martavis Bryant (Steelers)-suspension hurts but he was due
WR-DeAndre Hopkins (Texans)-still plays for the Texans shitty offense and Andre Johnson never was as big as he should have been
WR-Brandin Cooks (Saints)
WR-Allen Robinson (Jaguars)
WR-Davante Adams (Packers)-was due to breakout; now he has to be the guy with Jordy out
WR-Jarvis Landry (Dolphins)
DL-Timmy Jernigan (Ravens)
DE/OLB-Jabaal Sheard (Pats)
DE-Ziggy Ansah (Lions)
LB-CJ Mosley (Ravens)
LB-Ryan Shazier (Steelers)
LB-Preston Brown (Bills)
LB-Anthony Barr (Vikings)
CB-Malcolm Butler (Pats)
S-Harrison Smith (Vikings)

bummer that Kelvin Benjamin got injured; I think how amazing the 2014 WR class would be more amazing year 2 and more guys would break out in a big way.

BREAKOUT STARS
WR-Amari Cooper (Raiders)
LB-Khalil Mack (Raiders)
CB-Desmond Trufant (Falcons)

DIVISIONAL
PATS 31 over Broncos 14
COLTS 35 over Ravens 24

SEAHAWKS 34 over Vikings 17
PACKERS 31 over Cowboys 28

I'd like Brady to beat out Manning on one last playoff battle...I just don't know if we'll see it.
CHAMPIONSHIP
Pats 35 over COLTS 21
Packers 28 over SEAHAWKS 21

SUPER BOWL
Packers 31 over Pats 28

I'm less confident of this pick I had given what's transpired with the Packers' injuries AND the Pats' bad offseason, key losses (Vereen; Wilfork; Revis; Browner; Connolly; Arrington was a good slot corner)

STORYLINES
-Roger Goodell/Brady/NFLPA battle: beginning of end for Goodell: it's looming over everything. No matter what happens, he just can't be commissioner much longer. He's awful, fans/players hate him, courts don't back what he's doing, he's lost Kraft a bit maybe
-Which teams move to LA- San Diego, Oakland, St Louis: 2 teams are going
-Peyton Manning's final season most likely -I don't think it will end like Brett Favre did because his play was so reckless. Post-New Orleans NFC Championship, you had the feeling he was going to get WRECKED like he did in that game. That's exactly what happened. 
-Adrian Peterson's comeback -uncomfortable to watch/root for
-extra point -will teams go for 2 or kick from the 15?
-scrum penalty -could force refs to be lame and issue penalties more than they should over something natural in a contact sport. I get protecting players and some players are awful in scrums when pulling off opposing players, but ehhhh
-concussions -will heat up with the movie coming out with Will Smith

Your post was too long so I just looked at your Lions prediction...lick my balls.

Present them.

yeah, I know...
I wanted to move the Lions higher with the Bears sucking, but the Vikings are trending upwards.

I don't know what to make of the Lions: lost Suh/Fairley: I tried arguing for taking a step backwards for step forwards...couldn't do it.
Golden Tate/Calvin Johnson are awesome and hopefully Calvin is healthier. Eric Ebron sucked his rookie year from how good he thought he was going to be.
I like Ameer a lot...but...I liked Giovani Bernard too his rookie year out of HARD KNOCKS. Ameer should be better though, but it's not a significant impact.

Stafford is still back there, so he just is what he is at this point.

Edited by Cassidy

I'm gonna just do the Lions since that's the only team I really know:

10-6, I could go either way on the Eagles, @Vikings, and Saints

Week 1: @ San Diego Chargers Loss, I'll enjoy it in person though
Week 2: @ Minnesota Vikings Win
Week 3: Denver Broncos (Primetime Game NBC) Loss
Week 4: @ Seattle Seahawks (MNF ESPN) Loss
Week 5: Arizona Cardinals Win
Week 6: Chicago Bears Win
Week 7: Minnesota Vikings Win
Week 8: @ Kansas City Chiefs (London Game) Win
Week 9: BYE WEEK
Week 10: @ Green Bay Packers Loss
Week 11: Oakland Raiders Win
Week 12: Philadelphia Eagles Loss
Week 13: Green Bay Packers (TNF) Loss
Week 14: @ St. Louis Rams Win
Week 15: @ New Orleans Saints Win
Week 16: San Francisco 49'ers Win
Week 17: @ Chicago Bears Win

Your post was too long so I just looked at your Lions prediction...lick my balls.

yeah, I know...
I wanted to move the Lions higher with the Bears sucking, but the Vikings are trending upwards.

I don't know what to make of the Lions: lost Suh/Fairley: I tried arguing for taking a step backwards for step forwards...couldn't do it.
Golden Tate/Calvin Johnson are awesome and hopefully Calvin is healthier. Eric Ebron sucked his rookie year from how good he thought he was going to be.
I like Ameer a lot...but...I liked Giovani Bernard too his rookie year out of HARD KNOCKS. Ameer should be better though, but it's not a significant impact.

Stafford is still back there, so he just is what he is at this point.

The Vikings are on the upswing but I think everybody is overstating how good they'll be this season

Suh is a big loss.  Fairley was hurt for most of last year so he's whatever.  I like what they added at DT in the offseason, I think they'll still have a really good defense with their linebacking corps as the backbone.  As long as Mathis doesn't break down and Slay continues to play solid I'll be happy.  Fans are freaking out about last game, but they were missing their best LB, DE, and DT on defense and played the most vanilla scheme of all time...lighten up morans.

Calvin seems healthy.  Almost every day of practice there were vines coming out of ridiculous catches he was making.  Ebron had a typical rookie TE year.  He definitely improved his blocking so I'm interested to see how he is, he is still third in the pecking order of targets though so people expecting him to Jimmy Graham it up will be disappointed.  Your boy Tim Wright got added to the fold tho, I'm guessing Fauria gets cut since the Lions seem to think he was lying about his injury.

I think Abdullah will be able to bring a lot to the offense, they need his big play ability.  The line should be able to open some holes if they're all healthy.

Stafford has balled out this preseason (oh my god that deep bomb to Tate last game I still get hard thinking about it).  He's gonna surprise you this season he seems a lot more comfortable in the new offense.

So lick my balls!

I think 10-6 is optimistic for the Lions, with 8 (maybe 9) wins being the most realistic. Not that you shouldn't be optimistic being a fan of the team, but just saying.

Ya, I can see the 3 games I mentioned as going either way so I wouldn't be surprised with a 7 win season even.  I think the roster has enough talent that they can win games like that though, which definitely hasn't been the case for most of my life so I'm tending to lean optimistic just to let myself down.

I heard about some teams that surprised me with how hard their schedules were compared to teams within their own division: for instance, the NFC South with the Panthers, I think, having a harder home/away schedule against certain division opponents and another team having far easier home games.

I'll do my Pats game predictions once it's figured out whether Brady is suspended or not or whatever BS is going on

Broncos Schedule

Sun, Sep 13vssv8ARLrM9UjvleEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=Ravens Win 1-0

Thu, Sep 17@WjREf+AAAAAElFTkSuQmCCChiefs Win 2-0

Sun, Sep 27@hmSZAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCLions Win 3-0

Sun, Oct 4
vs
-m-051q5__56x42.pngVikings

Win 4-0

Sun, Oct 11
@
-m-05l71__56x42.pngRaiders

Win 5-0

Sun, Oct 18
@
-m-01xvb__56x42.pngBrowns

Win 6-0

Sun, Nov 1
vs
-m-03b3j__56x42.pngPackers

Win 7-0

Sun, Nov 8
@
-m-03wnh__56x42.pngColts

Loss 7-1

Sun, Nov 15
vs
-m-0487___56x42.pngChiefs

Win 8-1

Sun, Nov 22
@
-m-01y3v__56x42.pngBears

Win 9-1

Sun, Nov 29
vs
-m-05g3b__56x42.pngPatriots

Loss 9-2

Sun, Dec 6
@
-m-06rpd__56x42.pngChargers

Win 10-2

Sun, Dec 13
vs
-m-05l71__56x42.pngRaiders

Win 11-2

Sun, Dec 20
@
-m-05tfm__56x42.pngSteelers

Loss 11-3

Mon, Dec 28
vs
-m-01y49__56x42.pngBengals

Win 12-3

Sun, Jan 3
vs
-m-06rpd__56x42.pngChargers

Loss 12-4

Broncos will go 12-4, first round bye. Beat the Colts in round 2, beat the Pats in round 3, and beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl. Because we have a great record against the NFC East in Super Bowls, so why wouldn't that continue.

Edited by ignitionnight

The Texans will have more than 8 wins.  

The defense is going to be hellacious and the offense will do OK without Foster and will be above average when Foster returns.  The QB situation isn't the decision I wanted, but it will be fine.  Everyone will talk about the pass rushers, but the cornerback group is one of the elites.  (1st rounder Kevin Johnson is an absolute stud and everyone from last year is back -- They'll end up making a tough cut of a decent CB.)  Cushing is not only 100%, but a 2nd year into the defense.  Bill O'Brien won a couple of games with Case Keenum at QB last year because he worked with what he had.  While a bit of luck is involved, the Texans are the only NFL team that hasn't turned the ball over yet.  And I get that it's pre-4 so a bunch of 2s & 3s on the field, but I'm pretty excited to see Tom Savage get the ball hopefully for all 4 quarters on Thursday.  I am really excited about his future.    

CN1BjhmWsAAUpKV.jpg

Texans' owner Bob McNair: JJ Watt wouldn't have destroyed cell phone; Pats upset commissioner by not fully cooperating

sarcasm animated GIF

NFL owners mostly suck and are backing Goodell (Even Kraft did with Ray Rice; Bountygate; etc)...lot of jealousy in how outspoken some owners are, most likely privately. McNair's been outspoken against the Pats this offseason in comments I've seen, so fuck him.  Weird to see him criticize the Pats like this...but then want to be like the Pats by hiring their coaches, getting Wilfork, their backup QB's.

-Brady cooperated fully
-Brady was under ZERO obligation to hand over his phone
-even Ted Wells said Brady and the Pats were cooperative...until he had to exaggerate for effect

Brady's lawyer and Brady have said to Judge Berman that they should have cooperated more with the NFL to the judge even though it's BS and even the judge can look at that as such since they were under no obligation to do so. It just shows they are willing to settle, compromise, give something, accept a fine, or anything. Meanwhile, the NFL just looks like a fucking child. It's a red herring.

There's NEVER been a suspension for non-cooperating. Even Brett Favre's cell phone scandal involving sexting his dick to a reporter got a fine for non-cooperation. You'd just be making up punishments that aren't in the rulebook, which is what Goodell is doing all along and believes he has the power to do whatever he wants despite being proved wrong every time.

Stephanie Stradley (Texans' beat writer)McNair doesn't know truth of #Deflategate any more than Kraft knew truth of #Bountygate &#Bullygate. That is why -gates will keep happening...I like McNair as a person. Not perfect, like all of us. Tries hard to be a good owner. He spend s $, listens to fans.

Jerry Thornton: He clearly doesn't listen to his coach, who made his career with the team & QB McNair is disparaging

Edited by Cassidy

He was MAYBE supposed to be the 1st pick was the rumor...and then he just fell.
Surprising that the Texans didn't trade up because people could be talking themselves into the Texans more than they can with Hoyer, Mallett...and Savage.

Pats also picked up the guys the Texans were most likely going to draft (Garappolo) and they had to settle for Fiedorowicz...and then Savage later.

Not sure how the 2014 draft looks for them; too early to say (Louis Nix III; Tom Savage; Xavier Sua-Filo; Jadeveon Clowney; CJ Fiedowicz; Alfred Blue)
kind of disappointing on 'Hard Knocks' that none of the 2nd year dudes but Clowney/Blue are covered much.

Possible 2016 Free Agents?: Eli Manning; Drew Brees (I wouldn't want either at this point)
...or...
draft a QB if this season doesn't work out (and even if it does most likely)

Clearly, I was fucking wrong about Manziel even if I figured Cleveland was a disastrous place to go. Seems like, no matter where he'd go, he'd fuck up
I thought he was a fucking idiot, there was an ESPN the Magazine piece that made me VERY weary.
I just liked him too much in college: unconventional style, small...but did well against Alabama, good passer rating/accuracy, quick in pocket to compensate. Could definitely get wrecked in the pros. I underestimated how much so and the fact that his throwing style caused elbow injuries.
If I were a QB-needy team (Arizona), I'd have targeted him/Garappolo/Bridgewater since they were only missing a QB...but Manziel might be worse than Ryan fucking Lindley, which I find impossible.

I think O'Brien is being patient though. If he ties himself to a QB too early, that could be his job if it doesn't work out.
He hasn't tied himself to anybody but low-risk guys (Mallet; Hoyer; Savage) with zero expectations. Mostly stopgap roles until he locks in on somebody in the draft (Penn State's QB?)

Edited by Cassidy

I was pretty wary of Manziel, I don't watch much college football outside of MSU so most of the highlights I saw of him were him scrambling away from lesser athletes and throwing up jump balls to huge receivers.  On the other hand I liked the touch I saw on Bridgewater's throws so I couldn't believe he was falling and falling even though he wasn't an "elite" prospect.  He seemed like someone teams could work with to become a franchise-ish guy, but I don't know a lot about football outside of watching. 

I think most people thought Manziel was going to blow. I think Brian Hoyer could pull an Alex Smith in Houston if they get some decent weapons around him. They'll need a better RB if Hoyer (or Mallett) are expected to be even marginally successful, though.

Cushing is so overrated, dude is the biggest meathead, seems funny though... but head down, missile, coming at you... might be more effective if he wasn't consistently injured. Not one of their top 5 most exciting players. Hopefully you guys cut a nice CB and Miami picks him up, our depth BLOWS.

it's a crapshoot with QB's. 
Safe QB's (Luck; Peyton) were the only sureshot ones I can remember from the last 20 years.

I hated Manziel and thought he was douchey for sure...but I liked how fun he was to watch. Kept impressing against pro-style teams that were more dominant (Alabama)
Safe pick was he would blow...and I would LOVE to hate him, but league would have been fun if he was decent.

-Blake Bortles was a project QB who was a Year 2 guy...his Rookie Year #'s were considerably worse in stats than Ryan Tannehill when he was a rookie and wasn't even close; so if you want him to just be average, it's a leap
-Derek Carr has an impressive arm, but is uncomfortable in the pocket...and he's David Carr's brother, so fuuuuuck that. Hope he's good though. Grantland NFL Podcast feared that Amari would basically be the new Andre Johnson: stuck on a shitty team with a shitty QB for his career. Because the hope for Carr is slim, but they are backing him big right now. We'll see quickly whether he's legit or not

Edited by Cassidy

I didn't like Bob McNair's comments one bit when I saw them last night.  I just don't get it -- why even say something like that?  Why bring JJ Watt's name into it, or anything controversial?  I'll tell you this -- There's no way JJ Watt is happy about it, but he'll never tell you and only have great things to say about Mr McNair.  

McNair had a cancer diagnosis a couple of years ago and was cleared during training camp last season.  He lost a ton of weight and it destroyed his skin, so he looked and still looks very different than he did a few years ago.  I've kinda noticed that it took him some time afterwards to be comfortable being visible, but more recently I've felt like he's too visible and way more outspoken than he ever has been.  He's also donated nearly $2MM to super PACs supporting Ted Cruz, Scott Walker, Jeb Bush & Lindsay Graham for 2016 so I'm not super excited about him personally and this is another type of being "outspoken."  Lindsay Graham I get because McNair grew up in western NC right along the SC border and went to school in SC; Jeb I get because he's the favorite for the nomination.  However, Ted Cruz and Scott Walker are fucking idiots even compared to those other two.

He was MAYBE supposed to be the 1st pick was the rumor...and then he just fell.
Surprising that the Texans didn't trade up because people could be talking themselves into the Texans more than they can with Hoyer, Mallett...and Savage.

Pats also picked up the guys the Texans were most likely going to draft (Garappolo) and they had to settle for Fiedorowicz...and then Savage later.

Not sure how the 2014 draft looks for them; too early to say (Louis Nix III; Tom Savage; Xavier Sua-Filo; Jadeveon Clowney; CJ Fiedowicz; Alfred Blue)
kind of disappointing on 'Hard Knocks' that none of the 2nd year dudes but Clowney/Blue are covered much.

Possible 2016 Free Agents?: Eli Manning; Drew Brees (I wouldn't want either at this point)
...or...
draft a QB if this season doesn't work out (and even if it does most likely)

Clearly, I was fucking wrong about Manziel even if I figured Cleveland was a disastrous place to go. Seems like, no matter where he'd go, he'd fuck up
I thought he was a fucking idiot, there was an ESPN the Magazine piece that made me VERY weary.
I just liked him too much in college: unconventional style, small...but did well against Alabama, good passer rating/accuracy, quick in pocket to compensate. Could definitely get wrecked in the pros. I underestimated how much so and the fact that his throwing style caused elbow injuries.
If I were a QB-needy team (Arizona), I'd have targeted him/Garappolo/Bridgewater since they were only missing a QB...but Manziel might be worse than Ryan fucking Lindley, which I find impossible.

I think O'Brien is being patient though. If he ties himself to a QB too early, that could be his job if it doesn't work out.
He hasn't tied himself to anybody but low-risk guys (Mallet; Hoyer; Savage) with zero expectations. Mostly stopgap roles until he locks in on somebody in the draft (Penn State's QB?)

Here's the deal with Hackenberg -- he has the potential to push himself right back up to the very top pick and I don't think the Texans make that move.  If he has another "off year" like last year and falls, then I'm not sure Bill O'Brien takes on another project at this point.  

Savage had a messy college career because of an injury and transfers, didn't have good talent around him where he finished at Pitt.  He started as a true freshman at Rutgers IN 2009 and was good, had an injury as a sophomore in Sept 2010, transferred to Arizona where he sat out & then Arizona fired Mike Stoops and hired Rich Rodriguez who he didn't want to play for.  He transferred again to Pitt, sat out another year and finally was eligible to play again THREE YEARS LATER in 2013.  I remember going through his year at Pitt and he showed early learning pains, but his first game was against Florida State's defense who won the title that season.  He threw 6 INTs in his first 4 games, but lit up a good Duke team with 6 TDs & 0 INTs in one of those 4 games.  (That Duke team finished in the top 25 and barely lost the bowl game to Manziel's TAMU.)  He went on to throw 3 more INTs total in his final 9 college games and some of them were against pretty good defenses.  I really wouldn't sleep on Savage.  I don't want to say a bunch of nice things and jinx him for tomorrow, but he really looks the part.  I'm talking Rodgers with a slightly better arm and slightly less athlete.  And he's been fearless standing in under pressure.

Xavier Su'a-Filo struggled last year, but improved later in the year with experience.  He's supposed to be the starting LG, but he's missed a lot of camp with a lower leg injury.  The feeling is that he has the dreaded high ankle sprain.  The Texans took him one pick after the Viking traded up for Teddy.  The Texans' Achilles will be the offensive line if folks don't get healthy.  LT Duane Brown has a mysterious hand injury but isn't expected to miss the opener.  There's just no depth and I expressed that after the draft came away with no OLs.  Without FosterVisionTM, there may be no running game behind an OL that struggles because of injury & continuity.

Louis Nix III is healthy and willingly learning from Wilfork.  I don't foresee much of an impact from him this year even if he is healthy because he is a basically a downgrade on the same look at Wilfork right now.  I think if RAC is going to do something different without Wilfork out there, Christian Covington will be in the game. 

I think Alfred Blue is the worst RB on the roster (of 4 in camp, not counting Arian Foster or CB Charles James II).  He's a hard worker, but I haven't seen the natural talent.

You guys can quote me on Manziel from whenever and about him not respecting a playbook and possibly not even being about to learn them.  His highlights in college were all ad-lib plays.  I really needed for him to be a Dallas Cowboy.  

I think most people thought Manziel was going to blow. I think Brian Hoyer could pull an Alex Smith in Houston if they get some decent weapons around him. They'll need a better RB if Hoyer (or Mallett) are expected to be even marginally successful, though.

Cushing is so overrated, dude is the biggest meathead, seems funny though... but head down, missile, coming at you... might be more effective if he wasn't consistently injured. Not one of their top 5 most exciting players. Hopefully you guys cut a nice CB and Miami picks him up, our depth BLOWS.

I think most people were rooting for Manziel to fail.  I don't think a lot of people could tell you why he'd fail.

Are you saying better RB than Foster or you mean a better RB while Foster is indefinitely injured?  There's no better running back in the NFL than a healthy Arian Foster -- I'm not saying that as a homer, I will sit down with film of him and anyone else and back that up.  But yes, they don't have a healthy RB right now who can make an OL look better.  

Cushing was a monster before the two knee injuries, neither of which were his fault and both pretty gruesome.  He says he's his old self now, finally, and he hasn't worn any type of knee support this preseason.  It was sad to watch last year because he really wasn't healthy.  They'd call him off of the field on 3rd down or whenever and he'd get really fucking frustrated because pre-Matt Slauson Cushing would never get that call.  I saw him throw up hands, huff, scream, slam his helmet, etc. sometimes because he was being taken out of scenarios that he used to thrive in, simply because his knee wasn't right.  That won't happen this year.  The guy couldn't even jog when I saw him at the softball game in May 2014.  "Overrated" is super overused.  You know his name because he made major impacts when he was healthy.

There will be an extra CB that can make an impact on another team and I'm sad to see any of them go.  They have all 6 from last year returning, along with 1st rounder Kevin Johnson (total stud) & Hard Knocks star Charles James II, who is doing everything he can to make the team and O'Brien loves him.  One was converted to starting safety.  Kevin Johnson is already behind the veteran cornerstones (Joseph & Kareem Jackson).  That's still likely at least one surplus.  

Manziel never had a strong arm and like you said, too ad-lib. Really small, seemed like he was a chicken with his head cut off, as opposed to a Roethlisberger who actually seems like he knows WTF he is doing when he's scrambling. I dunno, part of it is also hoping he would suck, I agree with that.

And in regards to Cushing - you are probably right, you know your own players better than I would... but he still has had huge name recognition and hasn't done anything for a couple years. So hopefully you're right, for his sake. 

^ Cue the 1000 word treatise about how Pats fans were right all along.

God I don't care. But it does make Fantasy Football a lot more interesting now, since so many people have waited to have drafts this weekend. 

Edited by Mixhail

11951200_10100115569165421_7651558506218

11150435_10205800214297750_4105279430031

tom-brady-dancing-gif.gif

NFL is already appealing this decision...so this is going to keep going unfortunately.

Ken Tremendous: Well, "in for a penny, in for three years of bad press and twenty million dollars in legal fees," I suppose.

yeah, Pats should get their 1st and 4th round picks back right now too. If the Pats can, they have to; it's been said, but the loss of the 1st round pick is more important than the suspension. But the easiest path was Brady had a legit shot of winning all along and that could set the way.

Embedded image permalink

league gave zero notice a player could be suspended for an equipment violation.

Embedded image permalink

^via @SportsPIckle

XMasApe: 'Hey Rawdjah'

Embedded image permalink

Lester Munson (ESPN lawyer guy) and Dan Shaugnessy (Boston reporter) are THE fucking worst. Shaugnessy is a dickhead troll, so I expect that. Munson is just a shill for the NFL and their agenda.

God, I love Judge Berman.
LOL at the NFL amazingly WINNING the appeal in their own court judged by Goodell and then, in an amazing move, filed to a court of their own choosing (New York) before the NFLPA could most likely in Minnesota. And they still lost.

Pats fans right now...

Michael McCann: why suspension got overturned
http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/03/deflategate-tom-brady-suspension-overturned-roger-goodell-nfl-nflpa

Matt Taibbi: Roger Goodell is the Washington Generals of sports executives.
Dan Wetzel: Berman's ruling is remarkably consistent to his mocking of NFL in second Brady hearing. Embarrassing defeat for Goodell
Mike Reiss: NFL general counsel Jeff Pash advised league it was best to file in NY court for confirmation of Brady suspension. Pash's plan backfires...One of reasons Judge Berman vacated suspension was NFL not making Jeff Pash available as witness in Tom Brady's appeal. Can't hide witness.
Sally Jenkins: I’m waiting for Lester Munson’s analysis of Berman’s written opinion as “masterful” and “brilliant."...Goodell's written decision on Brady was full of holes, leaps, and wrenchings of the record, and it was the chief vulnerabilty for the NFL....So look. Judge Berman didn’t just find for Brady. He rebuked the NFL across the board. In every way.
Ken Tremendous (Michael Schur): The decision, remember, isn't about guilt or innocence. It's about whether the NFL is a bunch of CBA-breaking power-mad maniacs....Also, someone should check on Mark Brunell, make sure he's okay....Goodell gave himself a huge amount of power, ruled how he wanted, heard his own appeal, hand-picked his own federal court...and still lost

McNair's comments made Watt out to look like a hypothetical choir boy in a hypothetical situation...again, Waitt, in that situation would have been under zero oblgiation to hand over his phone.

I figure most owners are dumb, asshole conservative Republicans (Kraft has been close to Trump) since they're businessman and that's who they pal around...Goodell's own father was one too.

In Hard Knocks, it showed McNair in the same room with Dan Snyder and Virginia's owner who said something like, 'the greatest state in America'. Yeah, Virginia, you are not.

There's a decent amount of QB's for next year (Ohio State's Cardale Jones; Michigan State's Connor Shaw; etc). I have no read on the draft this year like I did with other years with at least 5-10 people I liked. I got Bosa so far.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL will appeal
Embedded image permalink

Bill Simmons: "Protect the integrity" (puke)

the worst is how 'integrity' is what Goodell is all about.....and he's the worst (concussions; military tributes are paid for with tax $; Ray Rice, etc)

I'd love to believe this is the beginning of the end for Goodell, but that's not the case: changes will be made with the next lockout. Goodell is just way too stubborn to change ways. What a cunt.

Edited by Cassidy

Cassidy, Brady cheated. He's not obligated to hand over his phone, but the point he's making is that your jizz inducer is shady. Brady won, because there's no hard evidence that he cheated, but a five year old can figure out that he did by context clues.

-The inflation level of a football is based upon the QBs preference.

-The balls were under inflated.

-He destroyed his phone and then offered to provide names of everyone he corresponded with leaving the NFL to attempt to invade the privacy of everyone that Brady spoke to, like that's going to be perceived well.

-The Patriots willingly and quickly accepted punishment for the under inflated footballs. That to me says there was knowledge and intent to break the rules, there's no fucking way Jerry Jones would have accepted that punishment if no wrong doing occurred and Bob Kraft didn't even dispute the punishment.

I don't think Brady should've been suspended for four games, and I wish he hadn't been. Then he could've accepted his fine and it would be another (justly earned) blemish on his career. He's a shady player that's part of a shady franchise.

You can reply to my post, but your rationale is likely to have zero affect on my stance. After that can you just accept victory, ignore any appeal by the NFL (that they will certainly lose), and move on to the actual season.

Another request is that you stop trying to analyze EVERYTHING, because you consistently misstep in your analysis and it results in a thread of someone calling you out, and you either continuing to argue the point and ultimately backtracking, or you backtracking in the post that immediately follows. There's shit you know about the NFL and shit you don't and you try to encompass it all.