Supra

NFL 2010-11...and 12.

14,861 posts in this topic

Living through the Singletary, Nolan and Tomsula days. It can't get any worse than that, so if it doesn't work then whatever. I think I'm just dead to Jed York making a good decision that most people would agree with.

However, I think the arrangement makes sense to develop a cohesive front office, so if it works I wouldn't be completely shocked, but definitely surprised.

Plus, as a Wild and Cubs fan, I can deal with one of my teams bring shit for a while if it came to it.

Edited by Oceanic

If it came to it?  *throws another rock from his glass house* 

Bridgewater might miss next season, Marty will still shit on the trade though.

I really want the Falcons to win, so they won't. Sorry guys, my bad. 

Yeah...the trade was necessary and worth it and he's better than any QB they would have signed or drafted. I legitimately think Bridgewater is done for good. He almost lost his goddamn leg.

Literally every sports news outlet here said he was worth it. The only media that shit on the deal were people that Marty follow haha

Edited by Oceanic

Like I said, you gave up a 1st and a 4th round pick for Bradford, you know you're giving away the 15th pick of the draft. He is average, it is a fireable offense to do that, I would much rather take a chance on a rookie to draft (and not give up multiple 1st round picks the way the Rams and others did) or hope a veteran is available (Romo, rivers, etc) . Sam fucking Bradford though? Come on. I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs with him ever...Most outlets I guess skips ESPN with barnwrll, Mika lines. The ringer and others

Edited by Cassidy

I would like to stop by and say this Lynch hiring is turning out to be great based on the additional hirings he brought with and those that Shanahan appear to bringing with onto his staff.

Alex Smith is average and Bradford is better than him. He's an above average QB you gave a middling first rounder for. If they fix their offensive line, they'll be in the playoffs next year. Mark my words. Might even win the division.

Edited by Oceanic

I think we look at Sam Bradford's career, paycheck & "to replace an injured, entrenched starter" when the Vikings made the trade and we were all thinking, "Wow, that's a lot to trade for Sam Bradford," at the surface level, say not knowing anything else.  But the Vikings thought they'd built a contender around Teddy going into a gorgeous new stadium!  They *had* to do something when Teddy went down.  It's really that simple and he worked out very well for them.  I know he's not Tom Brady and I know the Patriots legions would've rather the Vikings sent all of that for their backup QB.  

1 hour ago, DK. said:

I think we look at Sam Bradford's career, paycheck & "to replace an injured, entrenched starter" when the Vikings made the trade and we were all thinking, "Wow, that's a lot to trade for Sam Bradford," at the surface level, say not knowing anything else.  But the Vikings thought they'd built a contender around Teddy going into a gorgeous new stadium!  They *had* to do something when Teddy went down.  It's really that simple and he worked out very well for them.  I know he's not Tom Brady and I know the Patriots legions would've rather the Vikings sent all of that for their backup QB.  

It's just stupid when you factor in the $20M cap hit he gets.

Basically, what you're saying is the equivalent to this: the LA Rams were moving to LA and they needed a franchise QB, so it was worth giving up 2-3 years of draft picks to select Jared Goff.

Now, Bradford is MILES better than Goff...but either way, it's just dumb/desperate reaches. and the Vikings were closer to contention than the Rams were/are.

----------------------------------------------
the Chiefs SHOULD try and get Romo now, maybe the Texans/Broncos will without having to give up a pick...and can still look for a younger QB in the draft long-term. I just don't view Bradford as a long-term answer and he's bounced around enough for that to be proven true.

--------------------------
Also I'm disappointed in Tom Brady not shitting on Trump or just saying anything.
I don't know if he is for Trump, but he basically is by not saying anything and just letting Trump use him. 
I want to say I doubt he is for him because Gisele has spoken out.
I just think the 'Patriot Way' is to NOT say anything at all and just keep it about football...and Brady takes after Belichick in that way. But he also doesn't want to offend anybody; he's 'friends' with John Kerry and was with Ted Kennedy too. 

I think the 'MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN' hat was put in the locker as a joke 16 months ago back when Trump's campaign was basically that: a joke. You could tell that a bit with how he was joking around about it.

For fuck's sake, he also has NOT said anything at all about Deflategate/Goodell when he's had every chance to. So why would he say something now about Trump?

It sucks, but we'll see if he says anything after the season about ANYTHING.

Ol Tom didn't have to even shit on Trump, but him responding with “And what’s that? I haven’t paid much attention to what’s going on” is such a horse shit response, show some fucking empathy you butt chinned coward.

Don't worry Marty, we will probably give you whatever for Jimmy G. Is k bby.

Alex - there are rumors Martin Mayhew may join on with us as well. How should I feel?

Edited by Oceanic

Mayhew did a decent job of getting actual talent on the Lions, but it was impossible to do worse than Millen (who he worked under before getting promoted) so it is tough to get too excited over that.  He was reallllyyyyyy hot and cold in the draft, Lions had entire classes which were busts but also found some decent talent outside of the first round (the running joke among fans was any pick he made in round two was going to be a bust).  I would say he was a middle of the road drafter.  Early on he did some good trading for players who didn't fit in with other teams, but seemed to get away from that after the first couple years.  He did do a lot to undo his talent infusion though.  They absolutely bungled the Suh situation by restructuring his deal over and over and making it basically impossible to franchise tag him.  They drafted a tight end with the dropsies and inconsistent play instead of Aaron Donald, and then proceeded to lose Suh and Fairley in the same offseason which was obvious would happen.  Basically he was like the GM version of Jim Schwartz, came in after 0-16 and did a good enough job to drag the Lions out of embarrassment territory and help set them up for the future, but it was obvious that change needed to be made if the Lions were going to take the next step to being in the upper half of the league.

Overall I would say you should feel neutral, he wasn't the worst and he wasn't the best... I would imagine he wouldn't have a ton of power so at least he has experience with things which would be good with a new GM I would imagine.  He seems to be respected in football so that also will help.

7 hours ago, Chris Benoit said:

Ol Tom didn't have to even shit on Trump, but him responding with “And what’s that? I haven’t paid much attention to what’s going on” is such a horse shit response, show some fucking empathy you butt chinned coward.

It's a bummer.  I don't know if he just doesn't want to have ANY influence on politics/what people think and that he's JUST a football player. It's clear Gisele doesn't care at all for Trump. But it's just basically if you say nothing, you're not offending. But when Trump uses your name throughout the campaign to get support, it's noteworthy. I doubt he supports Trump the way Trump makes it out to be.

Chris Long/Martellus Bennett are the most notable Pats that don't care for Trump and have said so. 
Whomever wins the Super Bowl, it will be interesting how many people on the winning team go to the White House.

Jimmy G trade
-Browns will go after him (my wet dream is to get the #1 pick to take Garrett, but that's not happening; their 12th pick is so logical)
-Cardinals should/probably will. Carson Palmer looks like he is retiring (pulled family out of Arizona schools/moved out of state
-if 49ers want Jimmy, I'd demand their #2 pick. They need a QB so it's either trade for Jimmy or take a shot at one of the rookies there. I just don't think the Pats will settle for anything less than a high 1st round pick: they should bait the Browns, 49ers, Bears, etc.

But yeah, I can't see Jimmy being traded for anything less than the 12th pick after Bradford got traded: he's better, has a higher ceiling, and is on a rookie deal rather than $20M. The $ thing is the BIG issue after Brock Osweiler fucked up, but teams can get 1 year to see what Jimmy has...I just don't think Brock ever had the traits that Jimmy seems to have more naturally.

Other notable thing: I think the Pats really like Jacoby Brissett...but they're going to have to draft another QB either way.

Say what you want about Bradford, but you have no idea how good Garappolo is after only 2 games. Remember Matt Flynn?

^that's true....but Matt Flynn was signed with the Seahawks for 3 years $26M, $10M guaranteed...QB contracts have exploded and Jimmy would be paid $1.1M maximum in 2017, nearly 18x less than Bradford. Seahawks still took Russel Wilson in the 3rd just like Washington traded everything to get RG3...but still took Kirk Cousins in the 3rd in the same year.

...but...
most people knew how limited/average Bradford was and how limited his ceiling was compared to Jimmy who could be a franchise QB...something Bradford just wasn't. I don't think Bridgewater was either, but there was hope when he was drafted. 

If the Pats win
I guess the other underrated storyline that nobody is really bringing up...
-what if the Pats win and Brady decides to retire? He's going to be 40, he breaks Montana/Bradshaw. He's said he wants to keep playing 10 years/as long as he can, but there's something to be said about going out on top. It doesn't feel like it though since he's still the best QB in the game (Aaron Rodgers has higher peaks but isn't as consistent)
-what if Belichick retires? Josh McDaniels feels like he's staying around for a reason.
-does Gronk get traded?

It's not in Brady/Belichick's natures to announce that they would be retiring. But, either way, it still feels likely that this might just be the last Super Bowl for them both.
Either way. I'll try to enjoy this Super Bowl if they win, but it could be bittersweet ends for a lot of players on the team.

Malik Hooker could be out 4-6 months after hernia/labrum surgery
could fall in the draft and basically 2nd favorite player after Garrett

Brady's mom has been battling an illness for 18 months (cancer?) and his dad has only been to 1 game this season: usually the family goes to all games.
Also 1 reason why he decided to drop the lawsuit was because it was adding stress/taking time away from being with family. I'm waiting for Tom to come out about that; a victory Sunday would probably ensure that happening in a way to do so. 

fuck and yes

Marshawn Lynch is an American treasure...

13 hours ago, Cassidy said:

-does Gronk get traded?

Is Gronk worth anything?  He hasn't played a full season since 2011 and has averaged like 9 games in reg season, with 5 playoff games since.  (The 2012 game against Houston when he re-broke his unhealed arm doesn't count.)  His contract structure looks like a cut after 2017, which I guess could help trade value since it would also allow a receiving team to cut him for significant cap savings if he looks like he'll never return to form.

He's not worth more because he's a Patriot.

Texans aren't getting Romo -- he's too expensive.  Owner Bob McNair actually trashed Osweiler to the press today and said they'll probably be taking a QB in the draft, which is amusing when he was the fuck who signed him without O'Brien's blessing.  

Edited by DK.

^Gronk's contract, I guess, is cap-friendly for 2017...but 2018? That's when, I think, it goes up. And he's going to be looking for a new contract. At the same time, he has an unprecedented run of injuries. Weirdly, he's SO damn destructive when he's out there that there's no drop-off yet. But, as it stands, he was missing at the end of 2011 (non-effective in the Super Bowl: it all began with Bernard Pollard's shit tackle that fucked up his ankle), 2012, 2013, 2015 kind of (if he's healthy, Pats get homefield advantage over the Broncos), and 2016. 

He's one of my favorite athletes ever, but it's a hot topic among Pats fans who fucking ASPIRE to be like Belichick and be ruthlessly cold: that they'd rather have Kyle fucking Rudolphh because he's healthy and that's a consistent trait. It sucks because it's shit luck. But you can attest to that with Arian Foster: being able to stay healthy is a skill and at some point you past the point of no return.

So no, I don't think Gronk would be worth much of anything...unless a team that may need to sell their new franchise (LA Chargers?). If the Pats did trade him, it would suck. But I would make it a comp pick depending upon how much playing time he gets.

Drew Magary: Roger Goodell's 25 Dumbest Moments
http://www.gq.com/story/roger-goodell-nfl-25-dumbest-moments?mbid=social_twitter

there's zero difference between a Trump press conference and Goodell doing press: a lot of is puffed-up PR, lies, and bullshit...except Trump's people are more aggressively overt assholes. Who blame the media.

Jeff Pearlman: Eerie parallels between USFL owner Trump and President Trump
http://www.jeffpearlman.com/the-eerie-parallels-between-president-trump-and-usfl-owner-trump/

Pearlman's been working on a book on the USFL for awhile now...and how Trump destroyed it.

Pat McAfee retires, joins Barstool Sports

genuinely funny guy and one of best punters in league. Also was the 2nd best player on the Colts. Because Ryan Grigson and Jim Irsay suck dick.

^one of the most influential modern-day comedy writers (and sports) Fire Joe Morgan'ing Plaschke's dogshit article making the Pats out to be the bad guys and STRETCHING to comical degrees.

Tom E Curran; Roger Goodell is the reason public lacks trust and confidence in NFL
http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/tom-e-curran-roger-dodger-goodell-reason-public-lacks-trust-and-confidence-nfl

Curran's question to Goodell started with him fact-checking Roger, then Roger lying and misrepresenting the fact-check entirely again, and then bullshitting his way through Curran's question. I watched that live and I perked up immediately when I saw he was going to answer a Boston reporter...and then he took a fluff question from a planted Play 60 kid that he was prepared for/talked to ahead of time.

Bryan Curtis: In all his evasive glory
https://theringer.com/super-bowl-li-roger-goodell-press-conference-deflategate-df30c854d05a#.122hugpzp

shits on Goodell's press conference too.

ho-ly shit: the writer made Trump come off like a complete jackass haha...and then Brady's quote that ends the article just zings it, in a way.
At no point in time does it sound like Brady has supported Trump. But he just won't confirm/deny much of anything (Deflategate; his mom's health, etc.) and just steering clear of everything. Only times he perks up is football-related questions or fitness related/TB12 shit.

You got something against every Vikings player, haha?

Kyle Rudolph would be a savage on the Patriots. He's already very good on the Vikings. He had 840 Yds and 7 TDs this year with that shitty QB Bradford.

Edited by Oceanic

“So I go to the Patriots game last year,” Trump said. “I’m on the sidelines with Kraft. He’s got Les Moonves right here. He’s got a lot of different people. And Belichick comes over in his Patriots sweatshirt and the hoodie and the whole thing. He hugs me, and he kisses me, and he said: ‘I love you. You’re the greatest.’”

giphy.gif

That quote is so funny. Trump is so full of shit. There's no way Belichick did that.

6 hours ago, Oceanic said:

You got something against every Vikings player, haha?

Kyle Rudolph would be a savage on the Patriots. He's already very good on the Vikings. He had 840 Yds and 7 TDs this year with that shitty QB Bradford.

Rudolph is fine...but actively preferring him over Gronk? Come on.
I would GET wanting to draft a younger TE (Martellus would be nearing 30, Gronk is 27 but injury riddled, both would have big cap hits) and some people on the Pats forum would like to double-dip (lot of love for Ole Miss' Evan Engram, but he's, like, a 215-pound TE)

76438c734841068ebd580c31e7091572

Robert Mays: the 10 throws that define Tom Brady
https://theringer.com/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-10-defining-throws-c3bfea71f46d#.fxczbw3qp

That graphic fucking depresses me!

And I choose to believe that Belichick open mouth kissed Trump on the field.