Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drew_willy

Obama's Current Term

47 posts in this topic

So I figured since we had a topic about President Obama's chances of winning in 2012, why not also discuss his current term as president? Let's talk about what he has done, what he is doing, and what he wants to do in the future.

To start off, he recently named Elizabeth Warren a special assistant to the president, giving her considerable influence over the formation of the new Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection. I don't really have any opinion on Warren or the fact that she specifically is the one named to this position, yet President Obama's decision to give her such an influential position without allowing the Senate to confirm her is troubling. I doubt that the office of the president was designed to have such authority free from legislative oversight.

To start off, he recently named Elizabeth Warren a special assistant to the president, giving her considerable influence over the formation of the new Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection. I don't really have any opinion on Warren or the fact that she specifically is the one named to this position, yet President Obama's decision to give her such an influential position without allowing the Senate to confirm her is troubling. I doubt that the office of the president was designed to have such authority free from legislative oversight.

FUUUU we're talking about this in admin law. Super boring class. Anyways, I doubt the court is going to do anything about the no confirmation thing. Seems like that's where the decisions have been going. But I don't think the President should have this much power. Lots of delegation going on these days, and I think we all might be better off without it.

She's pretty well-respected, so I don't mind that much at all.

Kind of pointless for everything to go through the Senate when the Republicans game plan is just going to deny anything and everything, so fuck them.

The GOP has done a great job hi-jacking the issues (the Ground Zero Mosque; 'Death Panel', etc) and framing them in a way. Obama and his administration have done a horrible job selling what they are doing.

Also, Obama should have come out against the Bush Administration REAL hard and reversing everything.

By not doing so, the country seems to have forgotten that all the problems that we're trying to fix now were done under Bush/Cheney and NOT Obama. Obama has been too nice on Bush and diplomatic.

Also, Bush remaining quiet (until his book comes out in November) has made him look GREAT and people have forgotten how he bowed out of his Presidency in disgrace and was pretty much quiet for the last year in office.

RIGHT NOW-everything they do from now until November (and beyond) will be spent on the economy. A mistake they made was not doing everything possible on the economy beforehand, but it's been hard when the GOP is, again, trying to block every bill that Obama has so he doesn't get any credit whatsoever. It's a great plan when people are angry, but it's pure evil.

-pull out of Afghanistan before the end of his term (dead set on this)

-Education Reform (most massive and innovative we've seen in awhile and I think for the good; his Secretary of Education Arne Duncan spoke at my college graduation)...Race to the Top seems successful, although it's a bit controversial to people who ARE teachers in ways that are too big here to explain.

Off the table

GAY RIGHTS

Yes, they helped out with visitation rights for gays and speaking out against Don't Tell Don't Ask, but they haven't come out for gay marriage at all. So they've been disappointing in that regard. They've chosen this as not their fight at all.

DRUG WAR

They've laid off of gun rights (actually enabled them with some laws passed)

If Obama goes after gun rights, it would be something he would do in his 2nd term. Which needs to happen because of what's happening in Mexico (they get ALL their guns from us)

Also, there's not a chance in hell they'd come out for legalizing, decriminalizing, and taxing marijuana. John McCain would have an easier time being for that than Obama. Obama doesn't want to come across as being 'soft on crime' or 'pandering to minorities' like the GOP would.

With gay rights and not fighting against the Drug War, it tells me that Obama lacks the backbone I wish he had.

He's a moderate and wants too much to be liked. So he comes across as hard to define so his political enemies have tried name-calling him everything in the book. He definitely isn't liberal like I'd like. He's a moderate.

Anyways, off to the BK Lounge.

This is more ranting than everything and just off the top of my head.

Democrats have control of the Senate, House and Executive branch. Yes the Republicans are being tools, but blaming them for Obama not succeeding (if you think he's not) is giving the Republicans too much credit. The health care bill passed with zero republican support.

If the Democrats had balls or unity they could pass whatever they wanted. But too many of them have been afraid of losing re-election to go along with the parties desires.

here's a startling juxtaposition:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/world/middleeast/united-states-marines-haditha-interviews-found-in-iraq-junkyard.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

The 400 pages of interrogations, once closely guarded as secrets of war, were supposed to have been destroyed as the last American troops prepare to leave Iraq. Instead, they were discovered along with reams of other classified documents, including military maps showing helicopter routes and radar capabilities, by a reporter for The New York Times at a junkyard outside Baghdad. An attendant was burning them as fuel to cook a dinner of smoked carp.

The documents — many marked secret — form part of the military’s own internal investigation, and confirm much of what happened at Haditha, a Euphrates River town where Marines killed 24 Iraqis, including a 76-year-old man in a wheelchair, women and children, some just toddlers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/14/barack-obama-iraq-war-success

Barack Obama marked an end to a war he once described as "dumb" by declaring the conflict in Iraq a success and saying the last US troops will leave in the coming days with their "heads held high".

The president told an audience of soldiers at Fort Bragg that the final pullout from Iraq after nearly nine years of war is an "historic" moment and that the country they leave behind is "an extraordinary achievement".

the entire way in which we've conduced that war has been cursed by a grotesque lack of responsibility.

http://www.nytimes.c...me.html?_r=3

President Obama’s fruitless three-year search for compromise with the Republicans ended in a thunderclap of a speech on Tuesday, as he denounced the party and its presidential candidates for cruelty and extremism. He accused his opponents of imposing on the country a “radical vision” that “is antithetical to our entire history as a land of opportunity.”

Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential front-runner, has embraced a House budget plan that is little more than “thinly veiled social Darwinism,” the president said, a“Trojan horse” disguised as deficit reduction that would hurt middle- and lower-income Americans.

“By gutting the very things we need to grow an economy that’s built to last — education and training, research and development, our infrastructure — it is a prescription for decline,” he said, speaking to a group of Associated Press editors and reporters in Washington.

Mr. Obama has, in recent months, urged Republicans to put aside their destructive agenda. But, in this speech, he finally conceded that the party has demonstrated no interest in the values of compromise and realism. Even Ronald Reagan, who raised taxes in multiple budget deals, “could not get through a Republican primary today,” Mr. Obama said. While Democrats have repeatedly shown a willingness to cut entitlements and have agreed to trillions in domestic spending cuts, he said, Republicans won’t agree to any tax increases and, in fact, want to shower the rich with even more tax cuts.

The speech was the first time that Mr. Obama linked Mr. Romney, by name, to his party’s dishonest budget and discredited trickle-down policies. As Mr. Obama pointed out, Mr. Romney described as “marvelous” a budget that would drastically cut student financial aid, medical research, Head Start classrooms and environmental protections. Mr. Obama further ridiculed the budget’s deficit-cutting goal as “laughable” because it refuses to acknowledge the need for new revenues.

The speech was immediately attacked by the House speaker, John Boehner, for failing to deal with the debt crisis, but Mr. Obama pointed out how hollow that charge has become. “That argument might have a shred of credibility were it not for their proposal to also spend $4.6 trillion over the next decade on lower tax rates,” he said. The math is, in fact, quite simple: cutting both taxes and the deficit can mean only more sacrifice from the middle class and the poor, ending the promise of Medicare and Medicaid. Over the long term, the deficit can be brought down through a combination of cuts and new revenues; doing so immediately, as Mr. Romney and his party want to do, would reverse the fragile recovery.

Mr. Obama provided a powerful signal on Tuesday that he intends to make this election about the Republican Party’s failure to confront, what he called, “the defining issue of our time”: restoring a sense of economic security while giving everyone a fair shot, rather than enabling only a shrinking number of people to do exceedingly well. His remarks promise a tough-minded campaign that will call extremism and dishonesty by name.

Edited by Oceanic

Obama showing some backbone? And it only took three years!

Better late than never, I suppose. I'll take it.

(I also will most likely not be voting in this election.)

Edited by Jainn

I will foolishly convince myself that Obama's second term will be the progressive I thought we elected in the first place!

4 years from then I will foolishly convince myself the next Democrat candidate will be the progressive I have been dreaming of for years.

rinse repeat.

Obama needs to be re-elected so (if for no other reason), the healthcare law can be protected and seen to fruition. It is THAT important. I honestly believe that in 25 years this is going to be one of those things that our kids look back on and will be like "WTF, why did it take until 2014 to fix that?"

I'm not convinced Obama alone can protect it, we need more progressive members of congress. You have assholes like Paul Ryan, Allen West, and Boehner running around spouting bullshit unchecked. Also I REALLY want Elizabeth Warren to win the Senate seat in Massachusetts

I don't think Warren stands a chance.

Scott Brown's well liked here and is popular even among the independents, like my parents.

He was an absolute nobody when Martha Coakley ran one of the worst political campaigns in recent history when you fator in how liberal Massachusetts is, the fact that Ted Kennedy's seat went to a Republican, 2 weeks before the election nobody had any idea who Scott Brown was, Coakley didn't even try or really campaign because she thought she had it in the bag.

Scott Brown could have been a nobody, but they gave him life...and it's going to be hard to really deny him here. He's a political player now.

quick tip: if you don't vote because you think your vote "doesn't matter", you are no longer allowed to post in, or have any opinion on, any threads (or conversations in real life) about anything political or having to do with the president or government or anything of the sort YOU MORON.

don't be upset about the lack of segregated drinking fountains, maybe things will swing your way someday. you just have to vote for it.

I don't think Warren stands a chance.

Scott Brown's well liked here and is popular even among the independents, like my parents.

He was an absolute nobody when Martha Coakley ran one of the worst political campaigns in recent history when you fator in how liberal Massachusetts is, the fact that Ted Kennedy's seat went to a Republican, 2 weeks before the election nobody had any idea who Scott Brown was, Coakley didn't even try or really campaign because she thought she had it in the bag.

Scott Brown could have been a nobody, but they gave him life...and it's going to be hard to really deny him here. He's a political player now.

Yeah, but Warren has some political clout herself. Not to mention she is raising stupid amounts of money.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/massachusetts-senate-poll_n_1416174.html

I'm sure you know better of your local politics, but I wouldn't write off Warren just yet.

I think it will be hard because the Democrats here opened the door

Scott Brown is now a strong candidate.

Even Governor Deval Patrick, a really weak candidate, had a tough campaign against a nobody

Massachusetts has typically had Republican Governors from Bill Weld, Paul Celluci to Mitt Romney: surprisingly they all leave fast to jobs that seem beneath being a Governor, IMO, like Ambassador to Canada (Celluci) or leaving to run for President even though they were out of state doing that for 75% of their term from day one anyway (Romney). Deval was no different. He's Obama's boy and wanted to be a Supreme Court Justice. I think Patrick is maybe the 3rd guy in line that Obama would pick.

Scott Brown has been...

1) politically safe/moderate -this allows him to GET the Republican votes, the independents, and everything else. Amongst liberals it's hard to really even attack the guy compared to the OTHER guys out there

2) became an instant celebrity by getting Kennedy's seat

3) released an autobiography less than a year after getting elected

4) has legit credentials

5) is backed by Romney/McCain

6) he's only served 2 years of the 6 because it was a temporary election because of Kennedy's death

I think that Elizabeth Warren is a really strong/interesting candidate

But, like I said, they opened the door when they should have slammed it shut.

It might be real close, but in the suburbs Scott Brown will crush.

It hasn't really begun yet so it should be interesting.

quick tip: if you don't vote because you think your vote "doesn't matter", you are no longer allowed to post in, or have any opinion on, any threads (or conversations in real life) about anything political or having to do with the president or government or anything of the sort YOU MORON.

don't be upset about the lack of segregated drinking fountains, maybe things will swing your way someday. you just have to vote for it.

I hate this thinking.

People pay taxes here, so they can have a say.

I've never voted either (plan on it this year).

But I've never felt guilty about NOT voting either because the elections seem so decided here anyway.

If it were proportional representation then I'd be more interested.

But with one vote it makes it really hard to feel like your vote matters.

additionally, with that said, it'll be interesting to see how the healthcare card is played here.

Even though people HERE have universal healthcare via Romney, they still voted against Martha Coakley because of the national healthcare bill that Obama was for.

Hope they make some improvements to it, but it's still going to be fought tooth and nail (Supreme Court + back and forth come election season like it is)

Massachusetts is definitely going to have a major effect on Obama.

If Scott Brown wins again, it will continue to be a major indictment of Obama the way it was the first time they voted for him.

Warren is one of Obama's people.

This is considered one of the most liberal places to be in the entire country, if not the most.

Additionally Mitt was Governor here so would they be for Obama or Romney? It's a toss up.

http://video.msnbc.m...64075/#47164075

I agree with this video.

Also...I don't necessarily care about this, but it would be nice:

http://releaseyourre...om/?page_id=275

Another thing...I don't really follow much politics, but does this list make sense or is it BS?

http://thepoliticalc...ccomplishments/

Edited by Oceanic

y not frend?

Because my vote doesn't matter.

I hate this mentality. It's like saying "i can throw this plastic bottled into the ocean cause one won't matter"

I still vote left even though I'm in Texas.

Edited by ToughCookies

anybody want to make predictions for the 2nd term ?

This is really half-assed, but a look ahead on what maybe to expect.

this is politics so things will change dramatically and events will do that

but shit, why not?

-Tax Reform/Bush era tax cuts eliminated (that's going to be big fight for the next couple months or so) -again, this will suck to watch happen and the back-and-forth. Obama got elected by the majority of people in a landslide victory so just make it fucking happen for what we wanted to begin with.

-Universal Healthcare continues on and becomes official -, some tinkering maybe here and there

-Education -they have to do some more changes

-pull out of Afghanistan by 2014 -the war ends quietly, more drone strikes continue

-China

-war in Iran ? -shit. It might be inevitable, but I'd rather just stay out of the middle east forever. Fuck that place.

-Dream Act/immigration rights -very early on in 2013, it becomes talked about

-gay marriage -gets passed by the White House towards the end of Obama's term. When more states have more initiatives (2014) and more states begin to pass gay marriage, I think that's when it passes.

I think Obama focuses more on the budget, technology, creation of jobs, and investing here in the 2nd term.

he tried doing that in the 1st term, but the GOP purposely got in the way: I think he does whatever he can to drive it home this time around.

passing healthcare was his passion project and it officially starts in 2014.

He can still get gay marriage, immigration policy passed eventually.

but how he handles the economy and how he gets out of it is where his legacy will ultimately be judged.

I think Obama's 2nd term is where he becomes what his supporters always hoped he would be.

Andrew Sullivan had a good write-up on why his 2nd term could be really good.

That's my hope anyway.

Supreme Court

Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy (both 76 years old, born in 1936 and serving since 1986 & 1988 respectively)

-Ruth Bader Ginsberg (79)

-Clarence Thomas (64)

-Stephen Breyer (74)

McCain-Feingold Act gets fought over again?

any big fights looming?

Gay marriage?

Tax reform?

I still think Scalia will try to live until a Republican is elected until he resigns/dies.

But I'd say 2 maybe 3 new Supreme Court Justices get picked.

White House changes

-John Kerry replaces Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State

-Attorney General Eric Holder replaced? Deval Patrick could be someone, but I doubt it. I get the feeling Deval might be a contender to be a Supreme Court Justice. History shows that Governors in MA leave real fast in the last 20 years, sometimes before their terms are up.

up and coming politicians

-Corey Booker

-Elizabeth Warren

Massachusetts

-Scott Brown becomes Governor when Deval leaves as Governor before his term is up (Brown is way too good/beloved/moderate to be put out to pasture this fast)

-Kerry leaves to become Sec of State (good argument could be made that Brown replaces Kerry)

there's some shake-ups looming

and way faster than before their terms are up

A shit load of Republicans got disgraced and sent out in this election that will never be heard from again.

but Scott Brown is definitely not one of them.

Republicans

-still act like bitches

...but...

they slowly move more to the center with Democrats on immigration, Education, Gay Rights, and maybe even Science.

Mitch McConnell gets replaced?

other predictions...

-George H.W. Bush dies in 2013. Sadly, he's not looking very good at all.

off the table

-marijuana legalized (will have to pass state-by-state)

-gun rights

-Puerto Rico becoming a 51st state. It should, but I don't think it will happen.

Edited by Cassidy

That's a lot of lofty goals for 4 years. Even if Obama is more hard-assed (because he's got "nothing to lose" in a 2nd term), I think that's a lot to ask. Gay marriage and legal marijuana will probably never be passed on a federal level. Its so much easier for them to just say "deal with it at the state level", we don't need to be involved.

Edited by Johann

That's a lot of lofty goals for 4 years. Even if Obama is more hard-assed (because he's got "nothing to lose" in a 2nd term),

yeah, but it's on the agenda.

I don't know how much things will really change to make it happen (alternative energy, electric cars, monorails, whatever) because change is fucking slow.

but gay marriage seems pretty obvious with states passing it one-by-one.

I think the social policy changes will figure themselves out and Republicans will have to meet Democrats on those issues.

the other shit is going to be harder.

I think Obama cares very much about his legacy (what President fucking doesn't? Or you're just unaware like Bush is...but I think he kind of knows given how quiet he has been compared to, say, Clinton who has a legit impact...but you can't really beat Clinton's force of personality, smarts, charm, photographic memory, whatever)

if he can help save the economy, that's obviously the best thing.

but healthcare, gay marriage, immigration policy would make him an all-time great possibly.

the #1 obstacle is the Republicans blocking his path. That fucking sucks and that's making me groan.