Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mixhail

American Ninja Warrior

14 posts in this topic

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/54864/american-ninja-warrior-finale-tonight-at-98c-on-nbc/

Guys, I think I make a thread about this show like every year, but you all should watch because its the coolest thing ever. Tonight, the 10 American competitors whittled down over the last few weeks on the reality show airing on G4 will attempt to defeat Mt. Midoryama in Japan. 2600 athletes over 26 seasons (13 years) have tried their hand at it, and only 3 people have beaten it (a crab fisherman, a regular fisherman and a shoe salesman no less). The finale is airing for the first time ever on NBC, meaning it should have its biggest audience ever and hopefully it will make this show a yearly phenomenon.

The big news is that 6 time veteran Brian Orosco finished 11th last night in boot camp and won't be participating with the other guys. This might be OK though since he may have peaked as a competitor, as he just can't get past the early obstacles on the 3rd stage. The American contingent is also missing stud Levi Meeuwenberg, who on his first try made it farther than any other competitor a couple years back and may be the best athlete around. The other athletes left are all pretty damn good. David Campbell, Brett Stefensen, Paul Kashmir, and Travis Furlanic -- all of whom made it to at least the 2nd stage last time-- look to be the favorites to beat it all, while newcomer Ryan Stratis (big dude from the Army) may have the upper body strength to conquer the 3rd stage if he gets there.

I hope you all check it out, cause it should be a pretty intense 2 hours. If someone actually beats it all, one of these average joes will be rewarded with a $500,000 sponsorship deal with K-Swiss, so that's pretty sweet.

Didn't get the big deal.

Just looked like an athletic version of 'Wipe Out' almost.

I laughed when some guy blew his knee out and then I turned it off.

It was pretty badass. And Wipeout is lame as hell.

can't believe that guy broke his kneecap. Otherwise, it was crazy that 9/10 beat the first stage. America is making big strides year by year!

Love Ninja Warrior. Stupid obstacle courses that actually require skill. Having a recurring knee injury myself, it was awful to watch that replay repeatedly. *shudders*

Didn't catch the end yet though.

Well....this is a version focusing on the Americans going to Japan to do the tournament. Usually it's all Japanese (with overdubbed commentary), with a few white devils sprinkled in.

Yeah, i'm betting the Japanese run through will air in October or November.

And I miss the Americans running at the same time as the Japanese too :(

This show really is my baby and I'm glad that its getting so much exposure now. Its like a dream come true for them to finally do a purely American version, though I'm hoping that they bring in Makoto Nagano and Yuji Urisihara to run the American one too. Oh and this years version is way better because of the different regional prelims, which means we don't have to watch the stupid reality show to pick the 10 dudes who get to go to Japan... now its just the 60(?) best from around the nation. Plus they got Johnny Mosely hosting now (I liked him when he hosted Real World/Road Rules Challenge and when he did SNL) and some super hot Asian reporter chick too. And its on two nights a week! Sundays on G4 and Mondays on NBC woohoo

Anyway, I'm pissed that the legend Levi Meeuwenberg fucking washed out on the very first obstacle. Shit like this happens all the time though cause one mental slipup means you're effed. At least my boy Brett Steffensen is still around... I think he'll actually beat the whole thing. That Jesse LaFlair dude is sick too.

Next week is Dallas! I wonder what veterans will be there next week.

Ninja Warrior finals in Las Vegas tonight at 6 on G4! this is gonna be an epic 3 hours, y'all need to watch!

I'm betting Paul Kasmir, Brett Stefensen, James McGrath or David Campbell beat the whole thing. Newbies to watch out for are that Jesse La Flair kid, the British dude who is the top free runner in the world, and the Harlem Globetrotter who made the course his bitch in Miami. Still bummed that NFL player Kamerion Wimbley didn't make it even though he beat the course but gassed out.

Wimbley only missed the cut by one spot I believe, right? I was impressed by his performance. That course was not made for someone his size.

Recording the finals tonight. I don't know if I'll watch it all in one sitting. Love the show but it gets repetitive after a while.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that was a brutal 2 hours! 24 made it to Stage 2 and only ONE beat it! I'm patting myself on the back though because that man was Brett Stefensen, who eventually became the first American to beat the Ultimate Cliffhanger wooooooo! Super props to him for going as far as he did because that much suck to be the ONLY dude who gets to do the third stage with all the spotlight on you. Dude's gonna beat it one day, I'm telling ya!

Oh and props to Derek Nakamoto from my hometown of Walnut for doing the 2nd best... he is gonna be a stud next year now that he's got the newbie jitters out of the way. And Paul Kazmir juuuuust messed up on the Metal Spin, but I think he'll get real far too. Plus we will hopefully see Levi Meeuwenberg, Brian Orosco and Ryan Katsis at the actual final since they all fucked up early in the regionals this year and didn't get wildcards to the finals for whatever dumb reason.

Overall I'm happy with how G4 and NBC ran this competition. Yes, the really could have done without airing 5 minute long competitor profiles, but I know most folks don't know who any of these dudes are. Just sucks that it got real repetitive. Plus they need to not waste the wildcard spots on girls... none of them will ever beat Stage 1 because they don't have the upper body strength to do the hard stuff, nor the leg strength to jump off the trampolines or climb the Warped Wall.

Next year, I'm definitely going to Venice or Vegas, getting drunk and watching this shit live!

Edited by Mixhail

Someone finally beat it guys.

I've been posting about this show for 10 years and someone actually beat it. This is insane. This is the Lost finale all over again for me. Never thought I'd see it happen.

Props to you Jesus Lookalike, Isaac Caldiero. You are the great athlete in American history.

Meanwhile Geoff Britton is just as awesome (because he has forearms like Popeye) but somehow he got jack squat for being the first American Ninja Warrior. Wow.

http://deadspin.com/someone-finally-completed-american-ninja-warriors-final-1730712623