Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
suprefan

College Football

842 posts in this topic

The Hater's Guide to the Top 25

http://deadspin.com/the-2013-haters-guide-to-the-top-25-1221167616

Pretty funny. And I definitely don't give a shit about College Football this year because A) USC is gonna be so damn garbage, dickwad Kiffen won't even settle on a QB for the first 2 GAMES! and B ) The BCS Playoff start next year and then things will be more legit

God dammit this is DOUBLE true now.

Well, Im glad you won't even be watching any of the season anyway. You'll just come back when its almost heisman time and pretend you watched games.

the U

Let me know how theyre doing after they play V Tech and Florida State. Be glad youre not playing Clemson.

Really think I might avoid this thread until the day Mack's fired.  Hopefully that happens before theboreds dies.

Well the D coordinator is the scape goat for now...

Really think Mack Brown could be the worst coach to ever win a championship. He knows nothing about the game anymore and lived off talent and good assistants. This team might be worse than the one that went 5-7.

It's embarrassing. They cannot stop the run... at all. They have no talent and worse schemes on defense.

3-9. Mack is forced to retire. They hire someone shitty.

LOL Florida Gators.  They paid FCS school Georgia Southern $550,000 to come to Gainesville and take a licking.  GA Southern stuffed the triple option right down their throats, and their QB/team was 0/3 in pass attempts.  0 yards passing!!  And they won.

Losing like that to a triple option offense -- an FCS triple option offense at that -- is indicative of where the Florida program is in terms of recruiting and athletes.  I was talking to my dad the other day about GA Tech (who also runs the triple option.. head coach Paul Johnson actually installed it at GA Southern in the mid-90s) and my take on it is as follows...  You can have success with it at the college level because it is tough to defend without higher-level coaching and better athletes, like say Florida State or Alabama has on defense.  Clemson beat GA Tech on Nov 14 and the final score looks like a rout (55-31), but they more or less were able to contain GA Tech on offense enough that their offense could work on GA Tech's D  -- GA Tech still put up about 250 rush & 200 passing.  Point being, Clemson has elite athletes & good coaching, so their D could slow down the triple option enough for their offense to win the game.  It doesn't work in the NFL because the NFL is nothing but the elite athletes.  Elite offensive athletes at the collegiate level typically will not attend schools running TO offenses because it is such a different type of football than can be played in the pros.  It's an equalizer or even a benefit at lower skill levels, which masks deficiencies in all facets of the passing game (not having an accurate QB, not having skilled receivers & not having offensive linemen who can pass pro).  

UNC hung 80 on Old Dominion today and it wasn't because of turnovers.  QB Marquise Williams was rotated in with Bryn Renner earlier this season as a running threat (Kaep style), but had to take over when Renner had a season-ending shoulder injury.  Dude is really progressing as a passer.   At the end of the 3rd with UNC up 80-20, both coaches agreed to shorten Q4 to 10 minutes -- LOL mercy rule.  I'm more than a little bummed that Larry Fedora didn't at least kick a FG and break Clemson's ACC record for points in a game -- 82 set in the their 1981 national championship season.  I'm hoping we can knock d00k off next weekend -- That would likely make a five-way tie atop the ACC Coastal to play FSU from the ACC Atlantic, but the only tie-break UNC would have would be over d00k.  If we lose, d00k wins the Coastal outright.

Marquise Williams was in pretty good company coming out of HS -- http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2648

LOL Florida Gators.  They paid FCS school Georgia Southern $550,000 to come to Gainesville and take a licking.  GA Southern stuffed the triple option right down their throats, and their QB/team was 0/3 in pass attempts.  0 yards passing!!  And they won.

Losing like that to a triple option offense -- an FCS triple option offense at that -- is indicative of where the Florida program is in terms of recruiting and athletes.  I was talking to my dad the other day about GA Tech (who also runs the triple option.. head coach Paul Johnson actually installed it at GA Southern in the mid-90s) and my take on it is as follows...  You can have success with it at the college level because it is tough to defend without higher-level coaching and better athletes, like say Florida State or Alabama has on defense.  Clemson beat GA Tech on Nov 14 and the final score looks like a rout (55-31), but they more or less were able to contain GA Tech on offense enough that their offense could work on GA Tech's D  -- GA Tech still put up about 250 rush & 200 passing.  Point being, Clemson has elite athletes & good coaching, so their D could slow down the triple option enough for their offense to win the game.  It doesn't work in the NFL because the NFL is nothing but the elite athletes.  Elite offensive athletes at the collegiate level typically will not attend schools running TO offenses because it is such a different type of football than can be played in the pros.  It's an equalizer or even a benefit at lower skill levels, which masks deficiencies in all facets of the passing game (not having an accurate QB, not having skilled receivers & not having offensive linemen who can pass pro).

Your argument is all fine and good but I don't know how you can say that Florida has had poor recruiting under Muschamp. 

2012 - #3 recruiting class

2013 - #4 recruiting class

In fact, the man has recruited exceptionally well since he got there.  He has loads of talent.  For whatever reason he (or his coaches) haven't been able to use it properly.  If I was the AD I would fire everyone but Muschamp and give him one more season to clean it up.

They really can't afford to fire him right now anyway.  It's insane.

Michigan has had good recruiting classes, and their team SUCKS.

And how DK mentions a couple athletic defenses and not Michigan State... FOR SHAME.

Your argument is all fine and good but I don't know how you can say that Florida has had poor recruiting under Muschamp. 

2012 - #3 recruiting class

2013 - #4 recruiting class

In fact, the man has recruited exceptionally well since he got there.  He has loads of talent.  For whatever reason he (or his coaches) haven't been able to use it properly.  If I was the AD I would fire everyone but Muschamp and give him one more season to clean it up.

They really can't afford to fire him right now anyway.  It's insane.

Well then that's just fucking abysmal.    

Maybe they're also duds on top of terrible coaching.  Ohio State had 1 guy drafted out of their 2009 #1 recruiting class -- John Simon in the 4th round 2013.  Justin James Watt, meanwhile, was a 2-star recruit.

Michigan has had good recruiting classes, and their team SUCKS.

And how DK mentions a couple athletic defenses and not Michigan State... FOR SHAME.

I am icing out the Spartans until after Dec 4.

spittle.gif

So many questions from this gif.  Is the FSU player dodging someone's spit?  How did he know the spit was coming?  Did the spit come from an opponent?  How are the dude's reflexes that fast? Is he just tying his shoes right as spit goes by?  What the hell?

Edited by fellside

Probably one of the 3 greatest days of college football in history. 

I'm usually not a big college football guy, but holy shit did I pick a good day to watch all the games.