Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Random Encounter

The Official "Game I Just Played" Thread

216 posts in this topic

I'd love a place where we can review games we played rather than having your thoughts in that game's respective thread. So! I shall begin.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (XBOX 360) ~~~~~~~ B

The variety in which you could choose to finish a mission or level was great. But, the number 1 thing i loved from the old deus ex's was the story. This story was lackluster. This was probably because it wasn't that far in the future as the other two were but I remember there being great choices of the future of civilization with specific consequences. The endings here just seemed too general.

I was stealth and stealth alone. I got the Pacificst achievement so I barely ever fired a gun. The stealth way was fun. Finding hidden grates and hacking as guards walked towards you was exciting and rewarding. Overall, twas good. A buy for me (because I bought it) but if you're going to rent it, it's about 15-20 hours long so rent accordingly.

Carcassonne (XBOX Live Arcade) ~~~~~~~~~~~ A

If you're like me (someone attached to his/her computer) then you watch a majority of your tv and movies via netflix or download. My xbox is also right beside my computer screen and Carcassonne is a simple game you can play whilst watching any show or movie, no matter how intricate.

The game is a French board game. In this iteration, it is turn-based with no time limit. If you want to take 20 mins to place a tile, you can. The game isn't cheap for what is a glorified board game, but it is a lot of fun, especially if you have 2 players (the online capabilities are now null since it was released years ago). The achievements are mostly simple and it is a great way to hone your ADD when youre sitting at your computer, only watching something and doing nothing else (which, for me at least, is woefully hard to do)/

League of Legends

Yep, I've started getting into this, because I'm trying to tighten the belt and spend less money. I've actually found myself really enjoying it. Jumping in for 30-45 minutes and playing a game, and its pretty intense from start to finish. I'm getting good at it as well.

League of Legends ~~~~~~~~~~ B+

I've just sratched the surface after about 10 hours which shows the game's immensity. In the game, you play as a champion with special abilities on one of two teams. Both teams are attacking each other's bases and meeting in the middle. Each team has 6 champions. Each team also has "creeps" or non-champion men who attack every 10 seconds or so. There are turrets and other things you can (and must) destroy to get to the other base.

There are tons of champions. Tons. To get them right away, you need to buy them with real money (the game is free, btw). However, if you play enough you can earn in-game currency that also can pay for them. To allow poor players to have the ability to get champions that would otherwise be exclusive is a fantastic idea and keeps the game from being imbalanced towards those who pay.

Games can be long and your teammates can suck but the abilities are cool and you're always leveling up your champion in game and your profile outside of the actual matches. That, plus gaining the in-game currency to buy more champions, will keep you coming back to play more.

League of Legends ~~~~~~~~~~ B+

I've just sratched the surface after about 10 hours which shows the game's immensity. In the game, you play as a champion with special abilities on one of two teams. Both teams are attacking each other's bases and meeting in the middle. Each team has 6 champions. Each team also has "creeps" or non-champion men who attack every 10 seconds or so. There are turrets and other things you can (and must) destroy to get to the other base.

There are tons of champions. Tons. To get them right away, you need to buy them with real money (the game is free, btw). However, if you play enough you can earn in-game currency that also can pay for them. To allow poor players to have the ability to get champions that would otherwise be exclusive is a fantastic idea and keeps the game from being imbalanced towards those who pay.

Games can be long and your teammates can suck but the abilities are cool and you're always leveling up your champion in game and your profile outside of the actual matches. That, plus gaining the in-game currency to buy more champions, will keep you coming back to play more.

I've been playing the game for a year now. I hesitate to give it a B+ but thats a damn good description of the game.

It is the eptiome of what a competitive game should be. This ain't no mario party, children. This game takes practice, a lot of patience, and is best when you have a group of friends you consistently play with.

In addition, despite what the game's community will probably tell you, the game is very balanced. Every champion requires skill, some more than others, but ALL of them can be mastered. When you hit level 30 and start to play ranked games, it no longer becomes simply playing your favorite or best champion, it becomes playing the champion that counters the other team's champion picks and is ultimately the best pick for your team.

/e: on a side note, I've been playing Ocarina of Time the last couple days...so ahead of its time O.O

Edited by elemen0

I've been playing LoL for past week. Crazy to find all you guys playing it too.

If you guys wan't to play together add me.

crispyANDclean

Edited by Slippery Pete

I have been playing Monsters Deluxe on my PSP for the last 4 months and it has been a total delight. Portable gaming is real. I have also been playing a bit of Dirt 3 and it's a beautiful game but Codemasters' DLC plan is all twisted and I am sad about it. Deus Ex: Human Revolution arrives tomorrow night, very psyched on it.

I'm getting close to finishing Dead Island, pretty fun game. I feel like they could have done a hell of a lot more with the inventory system (terrible, especially on PC), the world map and quest locations (should have been more like Borderlands IMO), the save system (auto save this day in age? I understand for MP, but SP? Laaaame) and a better fast travel system, should have been a few more camps.

Despite those flaws, it was still super fun. I'm haven't finished yet, but I've been in the jungle for a while now and I think I'm close, played through as Sam B, probably the least annoying character in that game though, holy shit, how terrible were the characters in this game? First time I literally sat and thought about which one I hated the least. It came down to the stereotypical Asian and the black dude, I didn't want to hear broken English the whole time, so black dude it was.

Next up, I still haven't finished FF13 (about 75% done), God of War 3 (about 20% done), and Warhammer 20k Space Marine (about 50% done). Recommendations?

I'm getting close to finishing Dead Island, pretty fun game. I feel like they could have done a hell of a lot more with the inventory system (terrible, especially on PC), the world map and quest locations (should have been more like Borderlands IMO), the save system (auto save this day in age? I understand for MP, but SP? Laaaame) and a better fast travel system, should have been a few more camps.

Despite those flaws, it was still super fun. I'm haven't finished yet, but I've been in the jungle for a while now and I think I'm close, played through as Sam B, probably the least annoying character in that game though, holy shit, how terrible were the characters in this game? First time I literally sat and thought about which one I hated the least. It came down to the stereotypical Asian and the black dude, I didn't want to hear broken English the whole time, so black dude it was.

Next up, I still haven't finished FF13 (about 75% done), God of War 3 (about 20% done), and Warhammer 20k Space Marine (about 50% done). Recommendations?

GoW 3

Gears of War 3 ~~~~~ A+

This game is ridiculous in what it has to offer. First, the campaign.

The campaign ties all the two previous games together and actually gives the trilogy a semblance of story. I remember playing the first Gears and going to Marcus' father's house and him being a scientist who had discovered a way to destroy the tunnel system the Locust used and that was the end of the plot point. This one has a lot more emotion. Many things happen, there's a lot of sad parts that are not filled with the FUCK YA, KILL SHIT of the previous Gears games. There are a TON of memeorable moments and bosses. Only suggestion is, if you're a gamer, go hardcore. Normal is ridiculously easy and hardcore isn't that difficult. I think I failed about 5 times throughout the 15 or so hours it took me to complete the game.

Horde mode: This was my favorite part of the game. I still haven't made it to level 50 because I only play on hardcore with randoms online but DAMN is this mode hard. Horde in this game has evolved from the previous to by allowing you to upgrade the base that the enemies are attacking. This includes barriers that both slow them down and hurt them, turrets, both manned and unammed, decoys that enemies attack instead of attacking you, and, lastly, a mech that you can get in. All of these require can be leveled up by continually playing Horde and spending money on each upgrade. The unmanned turret and mech are not available to you until you've upgraded the other three. This makes Horde addictive and I found myself playing again and again just to upgrade my upgrades. This mode is A LOT harder than the campaign. The hardcore enemies of the campaign are NOT the same hardcore enemies of Horde, they are A LOT tougher.

Beast mode: This mode is new but a lot of fun. It makes me hope that epic makes another game in the gears universe because this mode is quite easy and less fleshed out than Horde (which makes sense since this is the first iteration of this mode). Here you control a beast. Again, you have to get a certain amount of kills to upgrade yourself to the different tiers of beasts. At the beginning are the normal shooters, tickers, etc. and at the end, I believe you can even be one of those big guys with the rockets attached to your back (whose name I forget). The problem with this mode is that it's very easy with other people playing and I have yet to reach the upper tiers because other players get all the kills. It is a lot of fun being a ticker, though, and running alongside a human and exploding next to their face.

Overall, this game has hours and hours of fun. Getting all the medals available and upgrading all of your stats (and beating the campaign on Insane) brings you back for more and more of this game. It's a lot of fun and talking to those online who hated Gears beforehand, it seems to have converted a lot of people to this series.

Ill have a full one once I beat it but I agree with everything EXCEPT the black guy being the one you hate the least! He's the one I hate the most. "That's how it was I N'Arleans." NO WAY.

I love Zombie games, movies, and am even (someday) finishing my own zombie novel. But yea, I skip EVERY cutscene. Not to be played for its story.

Edited by Random Encounter

Ill have a full one once I beat it but I agree with everything EXCEPT the black guy being the one you hate the least! He's the one I hate the most. "That's how it was I N'Arleans." NO WAY.

I love Zombie games, movies, and am even (someday) finishing my own zombie novel. But yea, I skip EVERY cutscene. Not to be played for its story.

Hahah, I really disliked Sam B too, but he had some pretty sweet skills. Doesn't seem to be enough guns to go as the black chick, the white dude is just fucking horrible with his tribal tats and awful accent. Asian chick might have been better, but Sam B has some awesome tanking perks. They need to get a new some new character designers if they are going to do a sequel, because damn, I hated everyone of them.

Still a pretty fun game though.

I also picked up Alpha Protocol on Steam for $2. I actually liked the game a bit, despite all the hate it got. I rented it on 360 when it first came out and it was pretty fun, the branching stories were the best part. Definitely not the most polished game, but worth the 2 bucks.

Oh, and the Witcher 2 also got a new patch today if anyone is still playing that, fixed a huuuuuuuuge shit ton of bugs.

Gears of War 3 ~~~~~ A+

The campaign ties all the two previous games together and actually gives the trilogy a semblance of story. I remember playing the first Gears and going to Marcus' father's house and him being a scientist who had discovered a way to destroy the tunnel system the Locust used and that was the end of the plot point. This one has a lot more emotion. Many things happen, there's a lot of sad parts that are not filled with the FUCK YA, KILL SHIT of the previous Gears games. There are a TON of memeorable moments and bosses. Only suggestion is, if you're a gamer, go hardcore. Normal is ridiculously easy and hardcore isn't that difficult. I think I failed about 5 times throughout the 15 or so hours it took me to complete the game.

Horde mode: This was my favorite part of the game. I still haven't made it to level 50 because I only play on hardcore with randoms online but DAMN is this mode hard. Horde in this game has evolved from the previous to by allowing you to upgrade the base that the enemies are attacking. This includes barriers that both slow them down and hurt them, turrets, both manned and unammed, decoys that enemies attack instead of attacking you, and, lastly, a mech that you can get in. All of these require can be leveled up by continually playing Horde and spending money on each upgrade. The unmanned turret and mech are not available to you until you've upgraded the other three. This makes Horde addictive and I found myself playing again and again just to upgrade my upgrades. This mode is A LOT harder than the campaign. The hardcore enemies of the campaign are NOT the same hardcore enemies of Horde, they are A LOT tougher.

I'm getting close to the end of the campaign mode....and it has been amazing. There is some legit emotional stuff in this game. Like that moment with Cole. It made me stop and think about what life would be like if everything you knew came to an end. Can't say I had much of that stuff in the other Gears games. Great stuff.

Do you listen to the giant bomb podcast? They were talking about going through Horde mode on Normal and how tough it was. Two of them went from 1-50 in one sitting and it took like 8 hours. I'm going to have to jump in soon.

Gears of War 3 ~~~~~ A+

I'm getting close to the end of the campaign mode....and it has been amazing. There is some legit emotional stuff in this game. Like that moment with Cole. It made me stop and think about what life would be like if everything you knew came to an end. Can't say I had much of that stuff in the other Gears games. Great stuff.

Do you listen to the giant bomb podcast? They were talking about going through Horde mode on Normal and how tough it was. Two of them went from 1-50 in one sitting and it took like 8 hours. I'm going to have to jump in soon.

I love giantbomb but hardly ever get a chance to listen to their podcast but I happened to catch that one last night and yea...I went from 1-38 in one sitting and JESUS. You NEED to play with people you know. Luckily I've gotten some good groups but some people just plain-old suck. Their story was hilarious though. I have screamed into my mic multiple times because of people being downed or me getting downed or me being the last one up and rolling out of the way of an attack to save someone. It's a lot of fun.

Dead Island ~~~~ B+

This game is a lot of fun and, as I've said before, I agree with everything Deadly Rhythm said. The story sucks. The characters suck. But the combat, environments (for the most part). leveling system, loot system, and zombies themselves are a lot of fun.

This game has a lot of RPG elements. There's a colored loot system where synonymous with MMO loot systems with rare items being colored from Red-Blue-Purple-Orange. You can find these in the world, craft them with raw materials you find, or loot them off enemies. Anyone whose played an MMO or modern dungeon-crawler will be right at home with the loot found in this game.

The leveling up system is simple, giving you higher health and attack points. Each level also gives you a skill point which you can spend in your skill tree. There are three skill trees in total and two are the same for every character. The other is specific to the character or "class" you choose at the beginning. As Deadly said, all of these characters are horrible. There's a gun character, a blunt weapon character, a sharp weapon character, and another one whose specialization I forget. The third tree deals with their specific specialization. An example is I chose the woefully stereotypical Asian whose speciality was sharp objects. i could upgrade her sharp weapons to cause enemies to bleed, causing damage over time, increase critical strike chance, etc.

The combat is fun because it's all first person and primarily melee weapons. This makes the gun specialization character basically useless because you don't get guns until the middle of the game. The fun comes in the broad swinging of a bat or knife, cutting and breaking limbs off of zombies, blood flying everywhere. There's even an analog control that allows you to manually aim each swing. I highly recommend playing with that for it is a lot more fun and there's an achievement for killing X number of zombies with it.

A major flaw I've found is that, towards the end of the game, the variety and overall polish of the game seems to drop off a cliff. This is most apparent with the GPS system used for quests in the late parts of the game. I had no problems completing quests during the first 2 acts because the GPS system led me directly to my next objective. Once you get to the jungle and the final area, the GPS tends to tell you to walk through impenetrable mountains and other obstacles that are impossible to travail. This is poor design.

Differing zombie types also disappear during the latter half of the game. At the beginning of the game you get the Thug, a tough zombie type that is both hard to kill and hard-hitting. Then, in the city, you get exploding zombies, infected zombies that run at you, and (if my memory serves, towards the end of the city) spitting, toxic zombies. However, in the jungle you get one zombie type. The zombie types tend to trickle into nothing. The final zombie type is also ridiculously easy to kill.

This implies a few things. The game is only fun for the combat so maybe the developers understood that and moved all of the zombie types and focused all of their polishing on the beginning of the game, knowing that only a portion of their audience would make it as far as the end. This developer is known for shitty games so this one being even slightly good is a big step for them. I just hope a sequel has less glitches (which I haven't spoken to, but there seem to be quite a few) and more overall polish, especially at the end of the game.

I just played Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.

It had a ton of flaws, but I guess I'm a sucker for Spider-Man games. Swinging around the city is always so much fun. I liked it, and having the options to use the black suit and be a "bad" Spider-Man were pretty fun too.

I just played Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.

It had a ton of flaws, but I guess I'm a sucker for Spider-Man games. Swinging around the city is always so much fun. I liked it, and having the options to use the black suit and be a "bad" Spider-Man were pretty fun too.

Definitely wanna grab this once it's super cheap.

An update to my Dead Island review. Once you beat it you can begin again with the same level and weapons. However, unlike other "New Game +'s" found in other games, the XP and rewards you get for completing quests remains the same. So, I am level 37 and am getting 300xp for completing a quest. I need 20,000xp for my next level which will take forever. The rewards I get are low level weapons but the zombies are still the same level as me. That means, when I need to repair my weapons, I have no money to because all the loot I find is low level. Another example of the developer giving up on the end-game.

Heavy Rain -B

I would've given this a better grade if the story hadn't ended with a reeeeeeally unbelievable twist. Gameplay was a LOT of fun, and the story kept me interested until the very end. The amount of choices and the consequences of those choices were pretty cool. I read that you could kill off just about every major character in the game if you played a certain way.

The game looked awesome too.

It did, however make me realize something about myself. I'm not particularly sensitive about most things, but I cannot handle stories where kids are tortured/murdered from an emotional standpoint. The origin story of the Origami Killer made me really upset.

I guess that makes for a compelling game, nonetheless though.

Shitty twist aside, I'd said this one is still worth playing just because it's got some good, original gameplay.

I liked Heavy Rain's twist simply because it was such a "oh what the fuck!?" moment.

It was better than Indigo Prophecy, the twist in that game was so over the top that it literally ruined the entire game.

But too many of the actions of

Scott Shelby, the PI

make absolutely no sense.

Things like

saving the suicidal mother, or saving Lauren, your partner. Being the killer, he wouldn't have had ANY reason to want either of them alive.

It was just a very poorly planned twist.

But too many of the actions of

Scott Shelby, the PI

make absolutely no sense.

Things like

saving the suicidal mother, or saving Lauren, your partner. Being the killer, he wouldn't have had ANY reason to want either of them alive.

It was just a very poorly planned twist.

Agreed. Not to mention that

there's a gameplay mechanic where you listen to their thoughts. Wouldn't he be thinking about killing people the whole time?

Edit: So i was already pumped this week for Dark Souls, the last game I'm going to buy during the fall for both money reasons and the game is supposed to be ridiculously long, but THEN i saw that the XBLA version of NBA Jam comes out on Wednesday. Best week for releases this year? I think so.

Edited by Random Encounter