Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Random Encounter

The Official "Game I Just Played" Thread

216 posts in this topic

Gears of War 3 ~~~~~ A+

I'd be a lot more interested in this series if it wasn't a testosterone filled gore fest. I feel the same feeling when I look at these games that I do when I look at the dude in the huge Yellow pick-up with huge wheels and brass balls hanging from the back. "You're insecure so you put on a 'manly' facade to feel better about yourself."

Also, the multiplayer sucks (Haven't seen any footage of the GoW 3 multiplayer though).

Sure, call me an idiot, but that's how I feel about the game.

Edited by Connor

Gears of War 3 ~~~~~ A+

I'd be a lot more interested in this series if it wasn't a testosterone filled gore fest. I feel the same feeling when I look at these games that I do when I look at the dude in the huge Yellow pick-up with huge wheels and brass balls hanging from the back. "You're insecure so you put on a 'manly' facade to feel better about yourself."

Also, the multiplayer sucks (Haven't seen any footage of the GoW 3 multiplayer though).

Sure, call me an idiot, but that's how I feel about the game.

Agreed. I hated the other games for these exact reasons but I still thought it was entertaining. But, like everyone has said, this one is much more emotional and much less KILL SHIT! I only played the multiplayer of the first one (because the second one was broken), but I like this multiplayer A LOT better. I suggest redbox that shit and see if you like it.

Started playing Rage last night, I got it on the PC and from reading some posts in various forums, it sounds like people are having a horrible time getting this game to run. I had only a minor problem with some screen tearing, but it was mostly fixed when I updated my drivers. One thing that is completely retarded about this game is the inability to manually change graphic settings. They basically only allow you to change resolution, anti-aliasing, and v-sync; no texture quality, shadows, lighting, bloom, ect. Everything is automatically adjusted according to you PC specs. So fucking retarded to do that for a PC game and by fucking id? Come on. It's not really an issue for me, my rig is pretty stout (was running Witcher 2 in ultra/uber-sampling with no problems), but for anyone that has a video card more than a year old, I can only imagine the frustration with this.

But I digress, the game is pretty fun, it looks great on my PC. Going in, I thought it would be more RPG heavy, but it's nothing like that. It's not really open world, you can craft with resources to make items, and mod ammo, but there's no leveling up or talents. Plays more like a traditional FPS than anything, but with a quest system.

I only played a couple hours last night, but so far I am enjoying it. Anyone else pick it up?

X-Men: Destiny ~~~~~ C

This game is pure mediocrity. It's a button-mashing brawler with some semblance of mutant powers. The story is boring. God of War has better RPG elements and leveling up system. It's cool to fight alongside Cyclops, Emma Frost, Quicksilver, etc. for about 5 mins before you realize that they are doing the same attacks over and over and, in the end, aren't really helping you do anything.

The boss fights are cool but most are recycled as you progress through the game. Like in Mario, when Bowser comes back from your first fight but this time, hold on to your seats, he's BIGGER, most of the bosses here have the same weaknesses with slightly more powerful attacks.

Of course, being an X-Men game, you need to choose your affiliation. X-Men or the Brotherhood? However, rather than give you any sort of grey area or let your actions define where you lie, it gives you dialogue options where you just pick whose side your on by choosing different characters' missions. But, even if you side with the Brotherhood the entire game, there's a final decision at the end where you can choose either faction which pretty much negates any choice made before then.

The achievements are easy and it lasts for about 5-6 hours. If you want a night of mindless fun (which it is, I guess, for a little while), then redbox this. Anyone who would pay $60 for a 5 hour game with limited AT BEST replayability is insane.

About to start Dark Souls. Never played Demon Souls so I'm a bit nervous. I had not desire to play this game but I've talked myself into it. Giant Bomb's bombcast and quick look got me really interested.

Spider-Man: Edge of Time ~~~~~~ D

Scroll up two posts and read my thoughts on X-Men Destiny. Same thing. Button-masher, mediocre plot, empty RPG elements, etc. The reasons why this got a much lower grade as follows:

1. Rather than boss battles being recycled, most of the game is recycled. A lot of the game is fighting but then there are traversal segments that have poor controls and instances where you have to goad the AI into certain situations in order to pass to the next level. An instance of this is guiding a missile to a door on the other side of the level. It took me about 20 mins to do and then I had to do it again. No gracias.

2. X-Men Destiny had a story and at least you made arbitrary decisions but here, everything is linear. In X-Men, you could explore a tiny bit. Not here. X-Men's story was interesting to the universe. This story pairs to different Spider-Men together and creates a massive contrivance to do so.

Again, a rent, but definitely get X-Men over this. Both quick, easy games, but X-Men actually allowed me to have fun. This was beyond mindless and at many points quite frustrating due to lackluster controls and repetitive gameplay.

Edited by Random Encounter

Too bad that new Spider-Man game isn't any good. I just bought Shattered Dimensions for 20 bucks, and it was a lot of fun. I rarely want to go back and look for achievements, but this game was fun enough that I'll do so. Cool graphics, fun attacks, different boss fights, my only complaint was a lack of free play that makes the other Spider-Man games so fun, but that's just not what this game was about.

Oh, and the final boss was too easy. But definitely worth the 20 bucks.

Catherine - I'm really digging this game but...fuuuuuck it's hard. I'm only on stage 4 out of 8(9?) and it's brutal.

I got frustrated...on easy. The story was cool, though, and I'm sad I couldn't finish it.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon ~~~~~~ D

Killing the same enemies again and again. Fun for a while and there are a lot of different jets, helicopters, and bombers to use but overall there just isn't enough variety. The one upside is this is set in the real world and has a coherent (albeit boring and generic) story. The older Ace Combat's were set in a fictional world where only flying jets mattered. I don't, just not good. Easy achievements though if you're will to put yourself through it.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine ~~~~~~ Incomplete

Game was fun for a short time. Third person, chainsaws, cutting orks in half. Pretty much the poor man's Gears of War except you still have to pay $60... Like I said, fun for about a half hour and then I couldn't deal with it anymore, too boring. Achievements not easy either. Multiplayer seemed okay but will probably die out within a month.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine ~~~~~~ Incomplete

Game was fun for a short time. Third person, chainsaws, cutting orks in half. Pretty much the poor man's Gears of War except you still have to pay $60... Like I said, fun for about a half hour and then I couldn't deal with it anymore, too boring. Achievements not easy either. Multiplayer seemed okay but will probably die out within a month.

I'm a huge 40k fan, I even play table top and I couldn't agree more. The game just seemed like it was missing something. I ran through campaign in 2 days and capped out multiplayer in 2 weeks I also have never picked the game back up again. They are introducing a horde mode type but I don't think it will save it. My hope is they take the game play mechanics find tune them and put it in 40k online.

Used to LOVE those Ace Combat games.

Ace Combat 4 on PS2 was like the greatest game ever created. That mission where you fly to the base that they are shooting those lazer beams from is insaneee.

Star Wars: Battlefront II

The game is still awesome.

Me and a buddy played through the Galactic Conquest the other day.

So much fun. Bummed that they axed SWBF3.

Two games that will not come that I wish more than anything would.

Star Wars Battlefront 3 with GOOD online multiplayer (I have the second one for PC and you can still find games but it seems aimless, albeit fun) and TIMESPLITTERS 3! Fuck I had so much fun with that game on the PS2 that I'd fuck a rabbit to have it on the 360.