Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Random Encounter

The Official "Game I Just Played" Thread

216 posts in this topic

Batman: Arkham City ~~~~~~ A

Brilliant. Bloody brilliant.

I love Batman so this may be a bit skewed but this game is amazing. I love Nolan's universe and the psuedo-realistic Batman but playing this game has made me realize that, my primary love of Nolan's universe may just be the grit. The story in this game is pure comic book. It has a lot of the villains you love (a hell of a lot, actually) which doesn't give my personal favorites enough play (especially one in particular who just pops in at the beginning of the game and then abruptly leaves) but most of the big names have a good portion of the game devoted to them. The gameplay is the same as Arkham Asylum. A great combat system where, if you're good enough, you can't get hit but instead counter attacks and just beat face. Then there's the "stealth" aspect of the game where you hide in the shadows and jump down to knock bitches out with your different gadgets.

The one thing I disliked in this game but loved in the first one were the Riddler challenges. In the first one you could find tapes of the patients in Arkham Asylum (Joker, Harley Quinn, etc.) with their psychiatrists, granting the player a new insight into the depth of everyone's madness. Then there were (again, in the first game) riddles that you had to think in order to solve. In this game, it's primarily trophies with absolutely no tapes (however, the Joker has so hilarious and simply amazing voicemail messages for Batman's phone). These trophies are mostly gotten through obscure traps and puzzles, the majority of which are frustrating. In all honesty, I spent too much time trying to figure some out and absolutely failed, refusing to look up the answers. The riddles are shown on the map (once you get the locations of the puzzles from certain enemies) which negates any fun it would be to find them on your own.

There are a lot of secrets hidden throughout the massive world and the story is full of fun, meeting different foes and interacting with them in surprising ways (you'll see). The gameplay is great and I love the combat system and simply cannot get enough. There's a new game plus and most of the achievements are fun and doable. The Riddler also has a much more sinister and immediate presence in this game. I suggest everyone at least rent it if not buy it outright because there's plenty to do.

Additionally: There's been a lot of controversy in regards to the different pre-order content that comes with the game and the Catwoman DLC you get if you buy the game new rather than used. The Catwoman DLC is good and is interwoven into the storyline so it's good to have. There's also an alternate ending you can only get if you have this DLC. The pre-order content is mostly different skins you can change Batman into. I got the Animated Series skin without knowing it and love it. The only weird thing is is you can only use it in the challenge maps and after you beat the game. Lame, I know. Oh wells.

Sonic Generations ~~~~~~~ B

It'd be an A if it weren't for the boss fights. It's a lot of action packed, fun, fast sonic from the olden days. None of the modern, boring stuff found in the newer sonics. You're always running and going fast. It's a quick game but there's a lot of replayability what with the challenge modes and getting ranks for each level.. It's amazing how fun it is to just keep jumping and somehow never slow down.

The bosses, however, suck. They have you slow down and attack rather than adhere to what makes sonic so good: FASTNESS! One boss was good because it utilized a level where you sped towards the boss, attacked it, sped towards it again, etc. The final boss is one of the worst in video games. It gives you no hint as to what you should do, you can't see anything, there's a time limit, and just ugh. Awful.

Goldeneye 007 Reloaded ~~~~~~ D

It looks like an N64 game they up-ressed rather than a game for modern consoles. I guess that's what happens when you port a Wii game to the 360. But, EA did it (this is Activision) with NBA Jam and it looked good so I don't know what happened here. The controls are slow and unless you REALLY liked Goldeneye as a kid (and I mean REALLY liked it) then rent this at best.

The online has the same RPG elements as the Call of Duties but the maps look like shit, the players look like shit, and it seems like I'm running through quicksand.

Rocksmith - C+

I like the songs on the list and everything and the basic idea of using a real guitar to play along on a video game console...but this isn't working that well for me.

The tabs on the game are not as good/complete as the ones on websites, so basically it dumbs the game down no matter how good you are at the song.

Like say for instance, you're supposed to play power chords...the majority of the time, you're just supposed to play the root note of that power chord.

Also, it doesn't tab the solos hardly at all, at least in my brief experiences with it.

Hmm... does the game have open or barre chords? I think any chord would be too hard to use in the game because they expect you to hit every string in the game, while the more "emotional" way of playing is emphasizing certain strings on certain strokes. That is what I was interested in seeing how the game handles. On the one hand you can play like a human, with emotion, and score badly. On the other, you can get 100% and play like a robot. Is that the case?

Maybe they should have stuck with bass guitar haha.

Like, lets say you're playing this main riff for Velvet Revolver's Slither song:

Main Riff

$

N.C.(D)

E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E 3x

||-------------------|------------------||

||o------------------|-----------------o||

||o-0-3-4-0-6-7-0-10-|-0-6-7-0-5-0-3-4-o||

||--0-3-4-0-6-7-0-10-|-0-6-7-0-5-0-3-4--||

You play only the E (drop D) string and if you play it like its supposed to be, you don't get as many points or something like that.

So, if you already know the song, it has kind of a detrimental effect on learning.

And the solos...non-existent.

But, on High and Dry, it has the main (actual) chords for the most part...doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Oceanic

Dragon Age 2 ~~~~~ B

I loved the first one and this one improved on it in regards to mechanics. The combat was a lot more fun, the inventory system didn't suck like it did in the first one, and the dialogue abilities were great.

However, when you come to a Bioware game, what do you expect? Fantastic/ epic story. This did not have that. The story picks up directly after the first game. You'll see some familiar faces and all but the first game pitted you against a world-ending apocalypse scenario. This game only deals with the politics of one small city. And, there's no overarching threat either. Each "Act" has its main opposition and each of them hardly links with the other. But, hey, for the lack of epicness, the story is still well told with interesting characters.

Saints Row: The Third ~~~~~~ A+

By far the most ridiculous game I've played. To show this, I am going to list some of the things this game has:

Dragons

Wrestling

Dildo bats

A man who only speaks in auto-tune

Ridiculously awesome vehicles (jet-helicopters, etc.)

A rickshaw chase sequence

Zombies

The game is open world and has great mechanics. Never was I frustrated with the normal open-world glitches or not being able to do something like shoot or drive, etc. This game is hilarious and also has THE BEST applications of licensed music ever in a game (look for Kanye's Power and the old song with the lyrics "I need a hero...to the end of the night). Definitely grab this with a purchase or some redbox..

Edit: I would love to know what the end is referencing...and the end is awesome too.

Edited by Random Encounter

Dude, I'm really enjoying it as well...but this game is a prime example of DLC gone too far.

and as much as I'm enjoying it, other than the graphics and music...SR2 > SR3

Edited by Robot Zombies

I'm gonna copy/paste a gamefaqs thread because I'm too lazy. haha

To Summarize so far:

Saints Row: The Third <> $60.00

Season Pass -- 1600 MS Points <> $20.00 (Pay now to save 15% less later) Four DLC Packs TBR

Shark Attack DLC -- 160 MS Points <> $2.00

Invincibility Pack -- 240 MS Points <> $3.00 (Cheats that came Free in SR2)

Saw a bunch of Clothing options on XBL this morning including Johnny Gat's Jacket

6 or 7 clothing options in all at 160 - 240 MS points a piece totaling $12.00 - $18.00

So to sum it up in the first week since it's release to fully support and complete this game it's going to run you around $97.00 to $105.00 bucks and the so called "40 weeks of DLC isn't even upon us yet.

Just thought i'd post for those who are interested.

If you've never played Snake Eater, definitely get it. Lots of people thought 3 was the best in the series, and I probably wouldn't disagree with them.

I've played through it once when it came out, it's just the only one I don't own. I've had MGS4 sitting around and still havent finished it

Edited by Robot Zombies