The Deadly Rhythm

Game of Thrones TV show (and previously book discussion before the new thread was started)

1,566 posts in this topic

I'm jazzed to finally see this show get rolling next year. I know there's a lot of fans of the books here already, I'm gonna wager a bet and say this will probably be one of most watched shows by us on the Boreds once people get a chance to get into it.

Winter Is Coming is the best site I've found following the show, also has a great cast list so you can see the awesome job the casting directors have done so far.

Also be aware that there is a rumored preview/behind the scenes/possible trailer to come on before the True Blood finale this Sunday. Sources say to tune in at 8:40 EST to catch a glimpse, HBO also will be putting the video online after airing, so I'm sure one of us will put it up here as well.

Haven't been so hyped for a show in a long time. Loved the books - probably the only fantasy series I've really gotten into.

The cast they've put together so far is brilliant.

Extremely excited for this show and the new book whenever that is completed and released. I'm on my second read through the books in preparation for the series and A Dance with Dragons.

i've been looking for another fantasy series to try after i couldn't get into the wheel of time. maybe i will try this one! looking it up on sffworld.com....

It's an awesome series. Probably my favorite fantasy series of all time right now. It's definitely more of an "adult" fantasy world, with only a little bit of magic, so it makes the world a bit more believable than other fantasy stories with wizards fighting each other with fireballs. Tons of memorable characters, but do yourself a favor and don't read any summaries past book 1, I think even the back cover of book 2 has huuuuuuuge spoilers all over it. Reading it for the first time with no spoilers is the way to go.

So apparently HBO is already in talks about doing a second season. This is fucking awesome, considering the first season isn't even finished filming!

Fuck yes.

I've also read rumors, not sure whether you guys will see this as good or bad, but if the show does well, and eventually catches up to the books and overpasses it, that GRRM has given the go ahead to finish the show before the last two books are released. So if we don't get Dance of Dragons released anytime soon (which is looking extremely likely) GRRM is basically contractually obligated now to give over the story-outline to HBO so they could finish the series on their own.

I just hope the old guy lives long enough to finish these novels.

It seems like Martin has a terrible work ethic when it comes to his writing. I love the series, but it's ridiculous waiting 5+ years between books. Especially when there are authors, on par with Martin or better, who can churn them out once a year.

I think that once you stop writing for an extended period it's really hard to get back in the swing of things. Maybe he's just sick of the story? Who knows.

laaaaame trailer. that was what we were waiting for? a cheesy CGI sequence and five seconds of actual footage isn't getting it done for me.

it's nice to hear that GRRM feels like they've got everything right though. this will be very good. i can't wait.

George R.R. Martin's A Dance with Dragons is really almost done!

So apparently the publisher is saying that Martin should be done by January.

I'm going to call bullshit and say that if he does finish it this year, it won't be until the summer. Mainly because they are going to be filming the show until Jan-Feb, doubtful he will get anything done during that time.

It would be hilarious if he actually got it done by Christmas.

imo they completely miscast Cersei (which is a pretty big deal considering how major a character she is) but apart from that it looks amazing.

Agree on the Cersei casting. Lena Headey is attractive, but I always pictured more of a super-model hot when casting Cersei and I'm not too sure if she has the acting chops to make me like her as that character. Although I have really only seen her in 300 and The Sarah Connor Chronicles, so I don't know how well she would do in a more character driven drama.

But yeah, everything is looking awesome. The costume designer has done a great job, every House has a distinct look to them from what it looks like so far; although I was rather surprised that Lannister House has a Japanese feel to some of the armor/weapon design. Nonetheless, it looks really well done.

I just wish they would fucking give us a good 3-4 minute trailer, the pilot has been done for months and there is only a few more weeks of shooting for this season, get on this HBO!

A new 30 second preview:

There is also going to be a 15-minute "Making-of" preview next week, right before the Boardwalk Empire finale. Rumors of a proper trailer to be released along with the making-of promo. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Same. The Targaryens are perfectly cast, it looks like. Still not sure about Lena Hedley as Cersei..

Think that Mark Addy will surprise people as well.

that's more like it!

it's been a while since i've read the book. i thought

the only remaining targaryen was dany? is viserys just in it for the flashback scenes?

i'm definitely going to geek out for this.

that's more like it!

it's been a while since i've read the book. i thought

the only remaining targaryen was dany? is viserys just in it for the flashback scenes?

i'm definitely going to geek out for this.

He's very prominent in the first book, he's the one that sold Dany to Drago in order to gain his support. But after the constant beatings of Dany, she gets pissed and then Drogo ends up giving him a crown of molten gold at the end of the first book. You're probably thinking of Rhaegar Targaryen, who went off with Lyanna Stark (the rumor that their child being Jon Snow, the true heir to the throne), the guy who Ned and Robert defeated so Robert could win the crown. Aerys Targaryen, the mad king, is also referenced in flashbacks, the dude who blew himself up in the wildfire. I still have a hard time keeping track of all those guys, and I just finished the series a second time a few months back.

April 2011. Winter is Coming motherfuckers!