The Deadly Rhythm

Game of Thrones TV show (and previously book discussion before the new thread was started)

1,566 posts in this topic

Casting is spot on. I'm really excited for this. I've only just begun the 3rd book in the series, but I flew through Clash of Kings, so I expect to catch up pretty quickly. The 4th book apparently isn't the last one?

Third book is my favorite, the entire last half of it is just crazy shit happening in every chapter, just don't read any spoilers, some pretty crazy things happen in book 3. The fourth book, Feast for Crows, was suppose to be combined with the unreleased fifth book, Dance of Dragons, but Martin wrote too much and split it up into two books, because he ran into problems completing it.

So be warned that a lot of the central characters are not present in the 4th book, it's still quite good, but I was let down a bit because of all the crazy shit happening at the end of the 3rd book doesn't get spoken of.

But he is finishing up the 5th book, which people keep saying will be released around the airing time of the TV show to build up more sales (that however is pretty much pure speculation at this point, he's been taking FOREVER finishing up the 5th book).

And then we have 2 more books after that, so 7 in total.

Third book is my favorite, the entire last half of it is just crazy shit happening in every chapter, just don't read any spoilers, some pretty crazy things happen in book 3. The fourth book, Feast for Crows, was suppose to be combined with the unreleased fifth book, Dance of Dragons, but Martin wrote too much and split it up into two books, because he ran into problems completing it.

So be warned that a lot of the central characters are not present in the 4th book, it's still quite good, but I was let down a bit because of all the crazy shit happening at the end of the 3rd book doesn't get spoken of.

But he is finishing up the 5th book, which people keep saying will be released around the airing time of the TV show to build up more sales (that however is pretty much pure speculation at this point, he's been taking FOREVER finishing up the 5th book).

And then we have 2 more books after that, so 7 in total.

Jesus. Seven books. Is he in perfect health? You guys think we'll ever get the full series?

Jesus. Seven books. Is he in perfect health? You guys think we'll ever get the full series?

george-rr-martin.jpg

That's what troublesome, dude looks like Santa Clause but 100 pounds heavier and 15 years older. It would be really shitty if the guy didn't live to finish it, seems like a nice dude and creates some excellent fiction.

There is some hope if the worst were to happen, he has apparently told the show runners of the HBO show the end game plan for the series, but just the broad important parts from what I understand. So they do know the outcome of what happens in the end and are steering the show thematically in that direction, but it's definitely not all laid out for them. So theoritically, they could complete the TV series without him if he passed away, but it wouldn't be the same.

Eh, think it'll be cancelled before then anyway. Not because it will be a bad show - it'll be awesome - but because of the cost involved.

That's kind of my fear as well. But the one hope I do have is that the executives at HBO have basically come out and said that they made mistakes in canceling Rome due to the cost of the show. Apparently they didn't take into effect the DVD sales. So I dunno, if the first season is successful, there is hope. They are definitely giving their shows more of a chance now from the sound of it, considering the underwhelming support for Boardwalk Empire and the second season it's getting, it might not be so bad as long as people watch it. The costs of getting this show started will be a lot higher than continuing it, especially considering how they will have tons of sets and armor/clothing already made for s2, it would definitely make it more manageable. Plus, they have been promoting the fuck out of it lately and that will only get stronger as they finish up the CG for this season and release more trailers.

Plus, after the screening at the TCA event for the TV critics, I only heard good things about the performances of the actors and scenes they show. They all spoke highly of all the Dany scenes as well, which I feel would be the possible game-killer for this show; people who haven't read the books wouldn't know what the point of her story-line really is and might think it's pointless, but everything I've read about it screams that the girl playing Dany is possibly the best thing about this show, so I dunno.

I think the difficult part would be showing the depictions of the super huge battles that will come up in season 2 and 3; I'm not sure how they could pull it off right with a TV budget. They could do it like Rome and have show small parts or the beginning of them and have someone basically monologue the outcome. I think the battles at the Wall will be the hardest to film right, considering how important it is for the series.

I hope you're right on all counts - would love to see it go 5, 6 seasons if the quality is as high as we are being lead to believe. Nothing will compare to the books - it never does - but they are seemingly doing a damn good job either way.

just finished the first book.... read it in a week. excellent stuff.

That's kind of my fear as well. But the one hope I do have is that the executives at HBO have basically come out and said that they made mistakes in canceling Rome due to the cost of the show. Apparently they didn't take into effect the DVD sales. So I dunno, if the first season is successful, there is hope. They are definitely giving their shows more of a chance now from the sound of it, considering the underwhelming support for Boardwalk Empire and the second season it's getting, it might not be so bad as long as people watch it.

i hope this is true, but my favorite show deadwood was cancelled despite strong critic reception, a rabid fanbase, and a profitable outlook. sure, it wasn't raking in the cash or had the appeal that the sopranos did, but it was still very good.

just finished the first book.... read it in a week. excellent stuff.

i hope this is true, but my favorite show deadwood was cancelled despite strong critic reception, a rabid fanbase, and a profitable outlook. sure, it wasn't raking in the cash or had the appeal that the sopranos did, but it was still very good.

My first time reading it I think I finished all 4 books in about 3-4 weeks, so damn good.

I share the fear of cancellation as well, but as far as Deadwood goes, don't forget you can also add the blame to Milch focusing on "John from Cincinnati" to it as well.

I know it's still just speculation at this point, but it sounds like due to the fan backlash from Deadwood, Carnivale, and Rome that HBO is making an effort to let their new shows find an audience. Could be complete BS, but it would makes sense.

My first time reading it I think I finished all 4 books in about 3-4 weeks, so damn good.

I share the fear of cancellation as well, but as far as Deadwood goes, don't forget you can also add the blame to Milch focusing on "John from Cincinnati" to it as well.

I know it's still just speculation at this point, but it sounds like due to the fan backlash from Deadwood, Carnivale, and Rome that HBO is making an effort to let their new shows find an audience. Could be complete BS, but it would makes sense.

yeah, you can add that milch did that other show, but every review, report, and statement from cast and crew put them behind finishing the deadwood series. while milch didn't perhaps back it like he should have, the final nail was HBO's desire to not continue it (even for the last season!). oh well. hopefully that means hbo will let something stand, find its audience, and maybe even be a cultural artifact.

my favorite part from the 1st book:

Robb:

"My lady, they murdered my lord father, your husband," he said grimly. He unsheathed his longsword and laid it on the table before hime, the bright steel on the rough wood. "This is the only peace I have for Lannisters."

thought that was great. the bottle of wine (inspired by tyrion lannister) helped.

I know some are saying Dany makes or breaks this series, but seriously, Tyrion is the reason I kept reading the series. His slyness and cunning are so remarkably thought out, I can never quite see what he has in store for us next...especially the crossbow thing he does later on...

Tyrion was my favorite as well, followed closely by Arya and Jon. But I can definitely see why that at least for the TV show, the importance of Dany coming off as a compelling character, mainly because she is so far removed from everything else throughout the novels. There's not much cross-over between her story and the war for the Throne, especially in the first two books. So I can see why some people might be afraid that if viewers don't latch onto her, her story runs the risk of seeming kinda pointless (at least until the end of book1/season1).

But all the critics are raving about her performance, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Well, I just came.

New trailer is excellent and the ADWD release date is the best surprise of the day.

Cassidy, you really need to read these books before the show starts, or at least the first one (if you haven't already). There is going to be so many little Easter eggs for the readers scattered throughout in this show, plus, I can't imagine trying to learn all the characters without reading the books. I feel like the amount of central characters in the series will be the hardest part for viewers to really get used to.