The Deadly Rhythm

Game of Thrones TV show (and previously book discussion before the new thread was started)

1,566 posts in this topic

Doesn't Comcast have a data cap?

I really want to watch this show but I don't want to up my direct tv bill right now.

They do, mine is 250gigs a month, not sure if that is regional or what, but I stream Netflix, download from Steam, and torrent all the time and have yet to hit that cap.

don't get me wrong... i'm really looking forward to this, but the 15 min clip was probably the most intense/palatable part of the series. you saw some creepy-ass things kill some dudes, then a beheading with some sort of moral/honor code. that's going to appeal to just about everyone. i want to see how they actually develop the characters and move the more political themes, because that's what the books have been about; an impending doom, but one that is overlooked and ignored for immediate status. combine that with characters like tyron, arya, and later jaime... well, that's why you like it. not because there are some weird ass trolls, but because the human part deals with the ambiguity of real-life.

if you've read the books i don't see how you could possibly think those fifteen minutes are the most intense part of the series.

if i were to rank the most dramatic/exciting events in all four of the books so far, the prologue to GoT and the beheading of the night watch deserter wouldn't even be in the top twenty.

i don't know why you'd question those fifteen minutes. that's where the story starts.

I agree with Chase on this, there are tons of better scenes even in the first book, this was literally just the first 15 minutes of the pilot, just giving us a taste of what to expect as far as the general look to the series. Everything I've read about this show so far is that the creators are being very faithful to Martin's books, besides expanding some scenes between some characters that had no interaction and scenes added that were discussions between characters that were originally exposition or internal dialogue for the characters, the broader themes are what makes the series work, and they have followed them faithfully.

I'm more worried about some of the actor's performances rather than the faithfulness to the novels. I'm still not 100% sold on Cercei and Dany from the previews, more worried with the girl who is playing Dany, I really hope she does a good job because she is just going to be such a huge part of the story, especially further in later seasons (if we get them). She looks close enough to how I'd imagine it, but I think a lot will ride on whether or not people end up liking her character, considering the distance between her and the rest of the cast, I think if not done right, people will think her story might be kinda pointless. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my biggest fear with the show right now.

if you've read the books i don't see how you could possibly think those fifteen minutes are the most intense part of the series.

if i were to rank the most dramatic/exciting events in all four of the books so far, the prologue to GoT and the beheading of the night watch deserter wouldn't even be in the top twenty.

i don't know why you'd question those fifteen minutes. that's where the story starts.

Agreed - the start was actually the only semi-boring bit for me (except for a couple of long periods in the latest book..)

And I think the Dany casting is great. Cersei, not so much. I think that the casting of Cersei was the biggest misstep. Looks nothing and acts nothing like I pictured her while reading - we'll see, though. Jaime on the other hand - perfect.

So in the the Firewall & Iceberg Podcast (aka Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg, two excellent TV critics that have been posted on this board a ton of times) have both come out in favor of this show.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-fien-print/posts/listen-firewall-iceberg-podcast-no-68

I've agreed with the vast majority of Alan Sepinwall's reviews and he just sounds ecstatic to watch more of this show. Lots of comparisons to other awesome HBO shows in how they kind of changed how we look at certain genres, like the Wire and Cop shows and Deadwood and westerns, GoT is making fantasy cool again. They also pointed out how Emelia Clarke (Dany) was completely awesome, so I'm really less worried about her performance.

Apparently they got to view the first 6 episodes and it sounds like it takes about 3 or 4 for the non-readers to really get a taste for the series, after that, it's game on.

So yeah, all you guys who haven't read the book, give the first couple episodes a chance, definitely some exposition, but it's necessary for the crazy ride that follows.

I just finished the first 3 chapters.

I'm hoping to get 200 pages in before the pilot episode on Sunday. I have yet to watch any clips.

They're only going to deal with the 1st book this season, right? Nothing beyond that?

I'm hoping to use the Appendix for help

...and I'm using this....

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones#/game-of-thrones/cast-and-crew/index.html

^to help me keep track & have a good idea of the characters

And since the Borders is closing in my town with a 50% off sale (and the books are cheap anyway), I got the 3 other books for real cheap (not even $10)

I just finished the first 3 chapters.

I'm hoping to get 200 pages in before the pilot episode on Sunday. I have yet to watch any clips.

They're only going to deal with the 1st book this season, right? Nothing beyond that?

I'm hoping to use the Appendix for help

...and I'm using this....

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones#/game-of-thrones/cast-and-crew/index.html

^to help me keep track & have a good idea of the characters

And since the Borders is closing in my town with a 50% off sale (and the books are cheap anyway), I got the 3 other books for real cheap (not even $10)

Yes, the first season is only covering the first book. From all the reviews I've read, it sounds like people who have read the books will enjoy the show a lot more, a lot less confusion in the beginning as far as the exposition goes. I know Sepinwall touched on that, but Mo Ryan's review was a bit harsher as far as the exposition goes. There is a huge plot point, I'm not sure if you reached it yet or not, that ends the first episode, but after that point, I was hooked on the novels. You will know it when you get to it.

How do you like the novels so far? It does take a bit to fully understand the vast amounts of characters and how they play into the plot. But if you start to feel overwhelmed by the characters, let us know, because there are tons of awesome discussions I've had over these books that I have no problem getting into again. Once everything clears up for you, it's some of the best story-telling I've ever read.

Never really felt overwhelmed by characters - just trying to look back and remember everything..that's kinda overwhelming I guess. When you're actually reading it, not so much.