The Deadly Rhythm

Game of Thrones TV show (and previously book discussion before the new thread was started)

1,566 posts in this topic

goddamn at last night's episode

Can't believe Sepinwall is disappointed with it...how could anybody be? There was so fucking much, that was a fucking TV show doing basically a blockbuster movie scene on par with anything. Ho-ly shit.

still in awe of how they were able to do everything that they do and just create this shit

Matt Ufford's scorecard recaps are always great...
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/6/20/11975254/game-of-thrones-scorecard-episode-6-09-battle-of-the-bastards

Edited by Cassidy

It was pretty badass and looked great, a fun episode I enjoyed for sure.  I can see how people are disappointed with it in the sense that the TV show seems to have "dumbed" down the story in a way that is different from the books.  To me one of my favorite aspects of the books is the actual game of thrones, twists and turns with politics and you have to be on guard for people's true motives.  The show now that it is on its own is just straight forward.  Ramsey ended up writing the bastard letter (pink letter in the book), the Umbers really did betray the Starks to join the Boltons, the Vale showed up just to help and didn't turn on anyone, etc.  It's all fine, but I can see how people would want more like in the books (kind of like how Arya's storyline the episode was kind of dumb based on how her "plan" played out).  

I liked it but I did have some gripes... why the fuck didn't Wun Wun have a weapon?  He could have cleared out the whole shield wall.  And I'm getting sick of the whole army intervenes at the last second to save the day/turn the tide trope... they do it with like every battle.  I was hoping at least this time the Vale would turn on the wildlings after smashing the Boltons to give it a twist, with Littlefinger trying to seize Winterfell.  But nope, just straightforward LOTR shit.

Eh, Sepinwall was disappointed...and he hasn't read any of the books.
I can see book-readers being disappointed (I've only read 3 of the books)

And yeah, you could sense that Jon Snow would be saved by Littlefinger/the Vale...but it was still so damn fun, unrelenting, everything I wanted, looked amazing, beautiful in ways. Don't care about the deus ex machina because it was just real satisfying and the scenes and what happened were terrific (Rickon running/Snow riding to attempt to save him; Snow riding alone and then standing with his sword out with all the horses coming after; the Umbers circling Snow & Gang; all the bodies on top of each other and Snow rising up out; Ramsey getting his as if there were any outcome other than that. Predictable, but don't care. I KNEW Sansa was going to be the one to feed him to the dogs and that was how he would go)

This whole season has basically been fan service, but that was an incredible season finale.  Any of the last 5 scenes would have been the best finale of almost any season of this show.

This whole season has basically been fan service, but that was an incredible season finale.  Any of the last 5 scenes would have been the best finale of almost any season of this show.

yeah, been said...and maybe that's LOOSELY departing from what George RR Martin will do in the books, but I'm satisfied and loving it.

I'll never understand the countless critics that constantly leave this show out of the yearly top 10 and the shows that do make it. Game of Thrones is pretty much the one show I would seek to see ASAP above all others; not for fear of being spoiled, but it's the most epic, sprawling, best characters, best everything. For fuck's sake, you're going to say 'the Americans' (I think it's solid), 'the Leftovers' (fuck the hell off), or 'Rectify' is better? I just see it as a complete and total revulsion to sci-fi/fantasy to just ignore it like that.

When's all said and done, it probably might be the best show of all time. It got the full HBO treatment.

Game of Thrones is the show from this decade that will be remembered most. It's the show that brought the blockbuster to the small screen.

The question is whether it happens again or becomes normal.  I sure hope we get something with this production level again.

Game of Thrones is the show from this decade that will be remembered most. It's the show that brought the blockbuster to the small screen.

The question is whether it happens again or becomes normal.  I sure hope we get something with this production level again.

Pretty unreal...I don't know where they go next/how to match it on this level and create a new world.
GRRM's books gave it a template to follow 20 years in the making, characters, and then some.

Space a la 'Star Wars' or some shit? I don't know...there's always good ideas, so we'l see.

I wonder if they made a movie for 'GoT' how much it would make...or if they just blew up the finale into a movie or some shit. I would go in a heartbeat.

They should create a tv series based on the Stromlight Archives books... I just finished the second one and I think it would be a badass hbo show or a feature film, very similar in feel to ASOIAF/GOT

^Never heard of it...I guess I was thinking of something other than a magical/medieval 'ASOIAF/GOT' , but I guess not.

I kind of always thought making 'Harry Potter' into a TV series would make sense with an HBO treatment, maybe Rowling adds more to the story since she doesn't seem done with it. I doubt it, but it would be cool since movies have to condense the material.

HBO's Westworld looks like it is on the right track for the same production levels. Definitely keeping an eye on that one.

Not a book reader, but the last episode of GoT was probably my favourite episode ever. The opening sequence was just amazing, and Cersei has been my favourite character since the first season probably. And the music. Good lord.

This season was definitely better than last year's.  I really enjoyed the last two episodes, the finale's opening sequence with that haunting music was really well done.  Also loved the whole new "King in the North" sequence, it's been so nice to see something good come for the Starks after so many defeats. 

I liked most of the stuff in the North this season, lots of really good moments.  Hodor scenes, Jon's resurrection, Sansa/Jon reunion, Battle of Winterfell were all awesome.  I also like how they sidelined the stupid Sand Snakes the entire season and Olenna basically being the audience surragate and telling them to shut the fuck up.

Dany's stuff was pretty predictable, but I liked the inclusion of Tyrion in her story line, it definitely seems to humanize her a bit more and make her seem less of a Mary Sue character.

My biggest complaint this season was the Greyjoy story line.  I know I've harped on that countless times throughout the years, but cutting Victarion and neutering Euron are some of the worst choices they could have made for this show.  They were so tailored made for the screen and awesome, over-the-top characters.  Maybe there is some hope for Euron next season, he just does not seem to be anything like the book version.

Also sucks we are only getting 7 or 8 episodes for the final two seasons, but I heard the rationale is that there are so many big battles scenes that they wouldn't be able to complete 10 episodes in a year. 

But it was definitely a solid season throughout.