The Deadly Rhythm

BioShock: Infinite

53 posts in this topic

Hope this is better than the second one.

It broke my heart.

COME ON NOOB! Bioshock 2 was made from a completely different studio then Bioshock 1. Its like IW and Treayarch, the people that made the first bioshock didn't even get to touch the second one. The original creator came out and admitted that the second one sucked because they weren't involved and that this new game was going to redeem the franchise. So basically this will be like Bioshock 2.

I'm still in a bit of a shock in how smooth the combat with the scripted events look. Some other forums I frequent keep commenting that it looks too heavily scripted, but at the same time, I really don't care that much at this point. Yeah, it might effect some re-playability for some people, but I'd play the fuck out of this game if the whole thing turns out as cool as this. Half-Life 2 (one of my favorite games of all time) was highly scripted as well and I played through it a shit ton of times.

I'm just surprised that the devs are showing us so much footage consider it's not suppose to be released for another year and a half.

I'm still seriously dumbfounded at how fucking cool that gameplay trailer is. Fucking ridiculous I say!

I agree with you 100% man, I'm a little nervous at how scripted this sequence was. We shouldn't be too scared though because the very first part of the first Bioshock had a lot of scripted parts (although this doesn't look like the beginning of the game, it could be). Half-life 2 did a great job of scripting their parts by making them story driven and not as much gameplay driven. I can't stand games that ask you to PRESS X in the middle of the boss fight to do some crazy ultimate move that you have no way of controlling.

This game is in good hands.

Not gonna lie

I played half life 2 through a shit load of times and the scripted scenes never got stale or old because they were well done.

this game looks like its gonna be insane and I can't wait.

So excited for this. My GF and I watched that trailer about 8 times last night. She's a Bioshock fan too, the "Would You Kindly" twist in the first one blew her mind (as I'm sure it did everyone else's). I love this series because it's one of the few games I can play with her because she actively enjoys watching me play.

I can't believe this isn't coming out until 2012. It already looks amazing... this game is gonna be great. I love the commentary on nationalism and xenophobia.

I was skeptical of the new setting, trying to wonder how the hell it related to Rapture, but after finding out the original developers were working on it and that it's NOT necessarily within the same universe as the first two BioShock games, I can safely say I got a lot more psyched for this release.

I can't wait to see how gameplay will be now that your partner is right beside you, actively helping you... Not broadcasting help to you over a radio.

I'm not really afraid of the scripted-ness. I highly doubt the game will flow as perfectly as that trailer, and it shouldnt. Such of the fun from the first game was exploring the various methods of combat you can use.

Bioshock is so high up on my all-time list I'm really excited for this. Bioshock 2 I have actually yet to finish. It just seemed so forced with so much of it. I'll finish it before this comes out though.

Ha I had to dig real deep to find this thread.

IT FINALLY COMES OUT TODAY SWEET JESUS!!!

The Reviews have been astronomically high on this game. I'm so stoked. I think I'll buy it Thursday since I go on Spring Break next week and can therefore waste alot of time on what everyone is saying is a super mindfuck and has one of the best endings in video game history.

I've never played a Bioshock game before but decided to check this out after Twitter was exploding about this game's awesomeness.  Great so far....can't wait to sit down and play it for more than an hour.

i feel like im about halfway through the game right now and my mind is getting fucked hardcore...what in the shit is happening? this is awesome.

It's like te original Bioshock meets Resident Evil and Zelda.

Finished my first play through last night (one if many I'm sure). Incredible game.

So let me get this right...

In different universes Dewitt took the baptism and renamed himself Comstock. And since the city of Columbia floats in between space and time the "other Dewitt" is able to time travel up to Columbia in order to kill Comstock/save his daughter?

One of the best, if not the best, stories in Video Gaming. Ken Levine knows how to tell a story. Cool and thought provoking in the same way a movie like "Inception" or "Looper" was

I just finished my first play-through too.  Really good game.  The setting was the best part for me, the city of Columbia was just so cool.  It didn't get stale for me like Rapture did in Bioshock 1 and 2. 

Non-spoilery thoughts:

- I wish there were more sequences with the skyhooks or that they developed them a bit more and made it more central to the combat.  It was such a cool idea to have it, it worked decently well enough, but I feel like they could have made it so much more.  I rarely used it very much in 99% of the combat situations it was available, it just made me die faster.

- I wish I could have held more than 2 guns at a time.  I could never find ammo half the time for the one gun I wanted to use (The Hand Cannon!) until the end of the game.

- I liked how Elizabeth was the best NPC companion, she never got in the way and just threw you extra stuff to help. 

Spoilers for the those who have finished:

In different universes Dewitt took the baptism and renamed himself Comstock. And since the city of Columbia floats in between space and time the "other Dewitt" is able to time travel up to Columbia in order to kill Comstock/save his daughter?

I'm still not 100% on the ending, but I thought it wasn't that Columbia existed between space and time, but that it was just the fact that the twins experiments with the tears and their subsequent experiments on Elizabeth controlling the tears led to the Booker killing Comstock/himself. 

I felt like they were trying to say that it doesn't really matter what choices you make, because there is always another version of you that makes the opposite choice.  So when one has the power to see all those choices play out (like Elizabeth or the Twins and eventually Booker/Comstock), they are no longer part of "reality" because the same rules no longer apply to them.  We see this with the Twins, as they appear to be god-like or angels in the version we are playing/experiencing, when in reality, they are just humans interacting through tears.  It's like as soon as someone goes in or out of the tears, they have instantly propagated an infinite numbers of copies of themselves that exist between the worlds (the whole light-house scene at the end).  Even if one of them dies, by the mere choice of going through a single tear, they will now exist in infinity.

That's my initial take on it, there are so many layers to the story and the idea that it's hard to sort out for me. I like it though, because so many people will probably end up having very cool interpretations of the story.

Beat Bioshock Infinite right now and I gotta say i give it an A for effort, but a B for execution. Maybe my expectations were too high. The story is like a more convoluted Inception, yet half the storyline was kinda pointless. 

The reveal that you are Comstock was weak. There aren't enough hints that you are the same dude and they just tell you at the very last second. And maybe I would have cared more if for the first half of the game, you (as in Booker) weren't such an asshole and Comstock wasn't so one-dimensionally bad. I really can't even begin to connect the dots as to how Comstock got so crazy after his baptism.

The last scene after the Credits is STRAIGHT UP Inception. Pretty sure you don't die at the end, are reset and now you get to just chill with your daughter Anna/Elizabeth with a clean slate. BUT ITS UP TO YOUR INTERPRETATION CUT TO BLACK! 

I mentioned that half the storyline was pointless. Basically everything to do with the Vox Populi. Its straight up the same tale from the first Bioshock game but with more boring characters (at least Sinclair was a charismatic bad guy... Daisy whatever is just boring and I don't get why they keep on fighting even after she dies. Actually Columbia goes from a world of wonder to kinda stale (and just like the fall of Rapture) as soon as the uprising starts and that's a bummer. I wanted something different.

As for Gameplay, while I think its the funnest to play of all the Bioshock games (linking the Vigor attacks and just blowing shit up is great), the convoluted storylines and the ease of which you can kill everyone kinda got in the way of the enjoyment. The Patriots are no Big Daddys and the Handymen are barely in the game. And don't even get me started about Songbird. You don't even get to fight him and barely get to use him. And you don't really learn what it is either (better twist would have been Songbird was an alternate Booker... would have made the love/hate relationship with Elizabeth stronger).

At least it wasn't total garbage like Assassins Creed III and was pretty fun and worth the buy. But dammit, its only slightly better than Bioshock 2 for me. Also the gameplay trailers and magazines from the last couple years have hinted at a bunch of different storylines and characters and options, and they cut alot of em out or down. Kinda makes me think they tinkered with it too much. And it still feels really long for being a relatively short game (you can beat this in 16 hours I say)

I read this dude's review of the game beforehand and didn't understand the criticisms, nor did I want to have a negative outlook of the game going in. But it turns out I kinda agree with everything he says:

edit: Hmm Stringer I think this game is much closer to Looper than Inception. While I liked Looper, I only gave it a B because it kinda faltered execution wise (everything turned into a protect a kid storyline instead of being a cool movie about time travel), even with its cool concept.
Edited by Mixhail