The Deadly Rhythm

BioShock: Infinite

53 posts in this topic

Do i need to play all the other ones, or can I pick this up as a standalone?

I never played the other ones and picked this one up fine.

Do i need to play all the other ones, or can I pick this up as a standalone?

I never played the other ones and picked this one up fine.

Same here.  No need to play the others.  My favorite game of the year....so far (only 1 hour into Last of Us).

Dodger, I recommend you just play the first Bioshock so you get how the world of Bioshock works, even though that game and Infinite's stories aren't technically totally related. Plus you gotta see how cool Big Daddys are and see one of the best twists in gaming history.

I've replayed Infinite twice now and I love it even if it is flawed still.

I thought Infinite did a good job of leading you into how it works at the beginning.  I want to play the ones before it just because I like Infinite a lot.

Just finished this about 30 minutes ago. It was a pretty fun shooter. I don't get the "ease" that Mixhail is talking about, but then again I played it on hard, as I do most games B).

I do agree a bit with Mixhail's take on the end.

I wasn't a big fan of the ending, honestly. I felt like everything I did was for nothing. I get that Booker went back to save his daughter or something like that, but that just means in other universes or whatever Columbia could still be going on? I just can't think how that baptism would be so important in his life to make him a crazy, racist bigot. Especially the reason for him getting baptised was to forgive him of the sins of what he did at The Battle of Wounded Knee. Maybe they will have DLC that can explain that? I dunno.

In the end, as for GOTY, I feel like for me it will be going to The Last of Us. Yeah, the story isn't as much of a mind fuck but maybe that's what I liked more about it. Everything that people say about B:I is the "You gotta wait for the end" and I never felt that way with TLoU. The only reason I kept playing B:I was just to get to the end to see what the fuck was going on. I did like exploring around a little and doing the little optional quests and collecting the voxophones, but I felt like there could've been more offered.

Also, does anyone know if there's a difference between the necklace with the cage and the one with the bird?

Also, does anyone know if there's a difference between the necklace with the cage and the one with the bird?

I don't think there is, I thought I read somewhere that it ties into the theme of choice and how the illusion of choice doesn't really matter in the end or something like that?

Ya I think the only "choice" that matters in this game is whether you get stabbed in the hand or not when you get your ticket to leave Columbia early on. Shoot the guy and you don't get stabbed. Ring the bell again and you do. You also have the decision to save or kill the crazy General guy and later if you save him, you see him lobotomized or something in the jail later on.

I don't hate the ending as much now, but I still think they botched

the Comstock-DeWitt relationship. At least look alike or sound alike or something. That twist wasn't earned, especially after how clumsily they described how much of a monster you were at Little Big Horn

Edited by Mixhail

Just finished this about 30 minutes ago. It was a pretty fun shooter. I don't get the "ease" that Mixhail is talking about, but then again I played it on hard, as I do most games B).

I do agree a bit with Mixhail's take on the end.

I wasn't a big fan of the ending, honestly. I felt like everything I did was for nothing. I get that Booker went back to save his daughter or something like that, but that just means in other universes or whatever Columbia could still be going on? I just can't think how that baptism would be so important in his life to make him a crazy, racist bigot. Especially the reason for him getting baptised was to forgive him of the sins of what he did at The Battle of Wounded Knee. Maybe they will have DLC that can explain that? I dunno.

In the end, as for GOTY, I feel like for me it will be going to The Last of Us. Yeah, the story isn't as much of a mind fuck but maybe that's what I liked more about it. Everything that people say about B:I is the "You gotta wait for the end" and I never felt that way with TLoU. The only reason I kept playing B:I was just to get to the end to see what the fuck was going on. I did like exploring around a little and doing the little optional quests and collecting the voxophones, but I felt like there could've been more offered.

Spoiler talk

I think at the end you reset the timeline by drowning, so there aren't infinite worlds. But then again, I don't know how you also wake up and probably see Anna there as implied by the after-credits part. Maybe it all resets to that part and has a happy ending where you get to actually raise her?

Got this during the summer sale, and finished it over the weekend. 

I hadn't played a video game in almost a year, but this one really kept me wanting to know what was going on. Only complaint would be the boss fights. I remember the ones in the original Bioshock being better, but that could be the nostalgia talking. 

I started this on Saturday and finished it yesterday.  

What an incredible game.  I felt totally immersed in the world from the beginning until the end.  I really have no complaints and loved the story.  I felt like Elizabeth could have been super annoying, but was so well done, I actually cared about what happened to her by the end of the game. I was really impressed.  Mixhail, I disagree with your complaint. 

I felt like they did the twist perfectly, Comstock had enough ominous vague stuff to say about DeWitt you definitely knew that he knew him from before.  Stuff like "it always ends in blood with you".  As far as them looking and sounding alike- I think that would have been more of a giveaway, plus people don't sound the same when they're that much older.

I also didn't mind not fighting the bird- I read someone's take on it and how they thought you not fighting it made its death all the more tragic and I totally agree with that.

I didn't have a problem with the ending ending either- I don't see how Comstock being killed would prevent him from having a daughter.

I buy that DeWitt could turn into such a monster- it's not like he was a standup guy to begin with- after all he did agree to give his daughter away to pay off a gambling debt. 

Something I read about that I thought was cool that I didn't pick up on- was the flipping of the coin in the beginning- how there was over 100 marks- which means that there were over 100 different DeWitts who tried to save Elizabeth and failed- I also read that the twins said something about how he always got killed by the bird, that's what they needed to change- which i think is another reason it was good you didn't fight it.  I like that idea.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I guess the one question I have is...why use

the 80s as your "future"?  anyone have any insight to that?

I hope they don't make any kind of sequel, I'm really looking forward to seeing what this team comes out with next.  Anyone know?

Damn that's pretty fast. I started last week and I'm up to the Good Time Club (which I'm going to guess is about half way). Definitely go back and play the first Bioshock if you haven't, because the atmosphere is really great. Bioshock Infinite is a lot better (I can already say that), and the first is a lot more eerie and took me way longer to finish, but it's definitely worth it because of that atmosphere.

But there are so many things BI does better. The relationship between Booker and Elizabeth makes the main character way more interesting, and makes me more emotionally invested in the actions I am doing, rather than feeling like an outside observer like I did for most of Bioshock.

Alright, FINISHED! Probably one of my favourite games I've ever played, simply because of how good the story was. I couldn't disagree with Mixhail any more.

For example, the very first voxophone in the game is Lady Comstock stating "

Love the prophet because he loves the sinner. Love the sinner because he is you. Without the sinner, what need is there for a redeemer? Without sin, what grace has forgiveness?" The third voxophone in the game is Comstack stating "One man goes into the waters of baptism. A different man comes out, born again. The who is that man who lies submerged? Perhaps the swimmer is both sinner and saint, until he is revealed unto the eyes of man". There was a crazy amount of foreshadowing towards the ending, mostly in the voxophones.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I guess the one question I have is...why use

the 80s as your "future"?  anyone have any insight to that?

I hope they don't make any kind of sequel, I'm really looking forward to seeing what this team comes out with next.  Anyone know?

Just did a quick Google and this is probably the best two explanations:

http://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/1cfz6q/ [obviously if you haven't played the game, don't even click the link]

This is also a pretty good article that answers most questions, question by question:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/399176/bioshock-infinite-ending-explained/

SPOILERS FOR ORIGINAL BIOSHOCK, along with Bioshock Infinite:

I think the craziest part of BI was that Booker Dewitt can use the bathysphere. I played the original Bioshock at the start of the year, but I think a big part of that was that your character Jack could use the bathysphere because he was related to Andrew Ryan. What implicatons are there if Dewitt can use the Bathysphere? Does that mean that Dewitt is related to Ryan? Elizabeth's/Anna's male form is Andrew in an alternate universe? Actually makes me really excited to play the DLC Burial at Sea

Also I can't believe I missed this, but this is great (Bioshock Infinite spoilers, kinda):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2q-UvedgyI

So yeah, such a well written, deep story. I liked it a lot. Also on the gameplay side, I enjoyed this a lot and didn't get the complaints. Unlike the original Bioshock, where I wrenched my through the entire game pretty much, I was forced to use different tactics in every situation in this game, using as many different vigor skills as I could. I think another big part I liked, surprisingly, was the save system. I hate when I find myself micromanaging save files, trying to save ammo or whatever. I just ran through this game and did whatever felt good in any situation. Good stuff. The game never felt like it stretched on either, whilst I kinda felt it did in the original Bioshock.

Edited by NoiseAround

More proof that Mixhail's gripes were unfounded:

I'm replaying the game with my girlfriend- and we're about 30% through the game (at the hall of heroes) and she has already

guessed that Elizabeth is your daughter and you are comstock.  and i haven't said anything about a surprise ending or anything.  All I said was that the game was a great experience with an awesome story.

OK...so I'm pissed off.  I've been listening to Giant Bomb's end of the year awards podcast and found out I somehow missed the barbershop quartet singing "God Only Knows" early in the game.  I'm kinda a completionist so maybe I was searching for one of those Voxphone or something?  Such a great game.  I'd take The Last of Us over it but damn this game was superb.

That guitar part was my favourite moment from the game. But I definitely missed all the songs made into oldies. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is still my fav, haha.

This video is really entertaining haha. To get the actor of Elizabeth (Courtnee Draper) in the role, Ken Levine and Troy Baker (the voice of Booker Dewitt) start berating her.

http://youtu.be/XvM4Z_AAGp8?t=5m22s

I finished the first game recently.....man....the nostalgia must be super strong with that game, because it is (no pun intended) infinitely worse than Infinite.  And I don't feel like I'm using hyperoble here.  The graphics were worse, the story was worse, the characters were WAY worse, the world they created was WAYYY worse....it was still a fun game, I was just really surprised that people hold it on the same pedestal as Infinite....I guess because there was nothing like it at the time?

And wow, Mixhail, you really oversold "one of the greatest twists in gaming history".

Anyway- interesting news from Ken Levine....I'll be looking forward to seeing what he does next.

Yeah I was really surprised that people hated Infinite, saying it never lived up to the original. I found Infinite better in just about every single way. The one element I found really good about Bioshock (and the element that made the game enjoyable to me) was the atmosphere of the city itself. The characters weren't great and I was never invested in the story, but man... Rapture is such an amazing city and all of the recordings made it. Columbia is probably still better, even in terms of atmosphere, but yeah.

The Irrational Games news actually depresses me quite a bit. The talent that worked on Infinite were amazing, and to break up a team like that is sad. Not to mention that they could never ever create a game like Infinite with a team of 15. It's such a weird piece of news too. No publisher in their right mind would give one man that much power, unless they viewed Infinite not as financially successful as they had hoped. I wonder what is actually happening.

Regardless, I cannot wait to play Burial at Sea Episode 1 and 2.

I finished the first game recently.....man....the nostalgia must be super strong with that game, because it is (no pun intended) infinitely worse than Infinite.  And I don't feel like I'm using hyperoble here.  The graphics were worse, the story was worse, the characters were WAY worse, the world they created was WAYYY worse....it was still a fun game, I was just really surprised that people hold it on the same pedestal as Infinite....I guess because there was nothing like it at the time?

And wow, Mixhail, you really oversold "one of the greatest twists in gaming history".

Anyway- interesting news from Ken Levine....I'll be looking forward to seeing what he does next.

What the hell are you talking about. No one at the time saw "Would you Kindly?" coming or mixed in that many philosophical themes into a shooter game. Plus Rapture was a better setting than Columbia. Weird of you to shit all over the look and mechanics of something that came out in 2007 compared to something that came out in 2013. 

I felt like I wanted to get out of Rapture (which may have been part of the point) whereas I felt like I could spend all day exploring Columbia.  I also thought the recordings in Rapture were less relevant than the ones in Infinite

And yeah, the size of the newer company is very interesting...maybe it's just the size that they are starting out with, and then once they know what kind of project they'll be working on they can add contractors or hire as needed (something that's done a lot in the gaming industry).  I agree with you that it seems odd.