Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ignitionnight

Best Podcasts

141 posts in this topic

I am a HUGE fan of comedian hosted podcasts. The ones I am listing are not only hilarious but they each cover a variety of topics and consist of intelligent hosts and guests.

Joe Rogan - The Joe Rogan Experience

http://blog.joerogan.net/

Ari Shaffir - Skeptic Tank

http://www.arithegreat.com/

Duncun Trussell - The Duncun Trussell Family Hour

http://duncantrussell.com/

Tom Segura & Christina Pazsitzky - Your Moms House

http://yourmomshousepodcast.com/

I am a HUGE fan of comedian hosted podcasts. The ones I am listing are not only hilarious but they each cover a variety of topics and consist of intelligent hosts and guests.

Joe Rogan - The Joe Rogan Experience

http://blog.joerogan.net/

the podcast I was going to recommend.

Monday Morning Podcast - Bill Burr

As said, it's just Burr rambling and ranting for an hour. Sometimes he has his wife come on. Mostly he's just annoyed and hilarious.

The Champs With Neal Brennan and Moshe Kasher

Neal co-wrote Chappelle Show and Moshe Kasher is a comedian from California. They interview black celebrities (mostly comics, but really, just famous black guys they know).

Juan Espstein

This is the quintessential hip-hop nerd podcast IMO. Hosted by Peter Rosenberg and Cipha Sounds from Hot 97 (still basically the hip-hop radio station in America). They interview some pop-culture people but it's mostly hip-hop artists, producers, DJs, label execs, etc. Lots of cool stories and gear-talk, random shooting the shit between Rosenberg and Ciph. Kanye talks about saving money for his first drum machine, only to loan it to his stepbrother before learning he was a crackhead. Operator Emz talks about meeting Funkmaster Flex when they were prepubescent kids and Flex was already the best DJ in the Bronx. Steve Lobel talks about being a white guy from Queens riding around in compton with Suge Knight. Pete Rock talking about MPC's vs. SPs, Questlove talking about analog vs. digital equipment, etc. Hip-Hop nerd heaven.

The Combat Jack Show

Another hip-hop podcast. A bit more mainstream and more non-hip hop guests. Hosted by Reggie Osse (Combat Jack), Dallas Penn, Just Blaze and Premium Pete. Reggie used to be a hip-hop lawyer in the 90s. He does a video version of the podcast for Complex.

Pensado's Place

Engineer/mix nerd podcast by Dave Pensado. For studio geeks.

I also like WTF, Joe Rogan, You Made It Weird, BS Report and Jalen Rose report every once in a while.

Edited by Shane

House to Astonish - Comic books. Goddamn comic books.

Word Balloons - Lots of interviews with people who make comic books. Goddamn comic books.

Giantbombcast - I don't even know if this is even good any more, but I listen to them talk more that I have actual conversations with people, which totally isn't sad and is pretty normal. It's supposed to be about video games. That is occasionally true.

I think your best bet is probably individual after-show discussion podcasts.

I don't listen to them, but I know they exist. There is one called Afterbuzz or something that does some big shows.

Shane - I just started listening to The Champs. It is pretty good. I have only listened to Hannibal Burress (Pretty much my favorite stand up right now) and Aziz so far. Any suggestions for good episodes?  Moshe Kasher's Live In Oakland stand up is really funny. The BJs in the park bit is gold.

Edited by donwayneleach

Listened to a grip of The Champs episodes in a row and at first I hated the drops, then it got a tad less frequent and more on point. Then the second I decided I liked them the very next episode the guy who did it was gone. I loved it when he would use the drop to call out Brennen for name dropping Chapelle. I'm a much bigger fan of Kasher than Brennen, Neil comes of as a douche.

Can't listen to much of Joe Rogan, he's really educated and dumb as fuck at the same time. He's ready more books and explored more fields of study than I ever will so he is very educated, but when he is off on a topic he sounds like a moron.

Thanks for the Star Talk Radio reco. That shit is awesome.

The show I listen to the most is Top 5 of Death - A weekly podcast where each member of the podcast creates and submits a top 5 list on any given topic. After each episode the lists are put up online for you to vote on and the winner then tells you how the losers die at the begining of the next episode. Definitely targeted towards people in the 20-35 range.

the Dollop w/ Dave Anthony -'Clive Bundy: the crazy racist cow guy in Nevada' w/ Gareth Reynolds 

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/dollop-vi-cliven-bundy

laughed really hard to this one.

The Dollop didn't really work with Dave Anthony alone rambling on a subject.

but with someone? It's great...he's also great on Walking the Room.

I recently found this podcast that interviews members in punk bands. It's called Bird Attack Radio. This week it was with some of the dudes from Guttermouth, last week members from 88 Fingers Louie, and before that the bassist from A Wilhelm Scream.

http://www.birdattackradio.com/podcasts

I also listen to some nerdy, pointless podcasts from Greg Miller. He has Game Over Greggy that's a couple of editors/producers from IGN that talk about random shit. Other parts of the podcasts are A Conversation with Colin and Oreo Reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GameOverGreggy

http://gameovergreggy.bandcamp.com/

Edited by Reece

House to Astonish - Comic books. Goddamn comic books.

Word Balloons - Lots of interviews with people who make comic books. Goddamn comic books.

Giantbombcast - I don't even know if this is even good any more, but I listen to them talk more that I have actual conversations with people, which totally isn't sad and is pretty normal. It's supposed to be about video games. That is occasionally true.

I love the Giantbombcast and I hate when they talk about video games because they're usually misinformed and I don't agree with a lot of their opinions. But they are great personalities and they talk about a lot of nonsense.

Jim Norton on Bill Burr's podcast

^2nd clip they discuss Burr's Philadelphia rant. Classic comedy bit.

Walking the Room

Episode #189, 46-minute mark

Dave Anthony going over his application after being a bank teller (like me) is way too funny. Way too accurate.

I've been about 100 episodes behind on the show. But with the overnight lab job (and 3-hour total commute each day w/ traffic) I get to bang out a shit ton of episodes.

That's the 1 thing I'm grateful for with this shitty job is getting caught up with this.

episode #199

http://walkingtheroom.libsyn.com/-199-patton-oswalt

Patton Oswalt discusses the worst party clown ever

I cried laughing at work during their episode with Superego podcast guys when Greg Behrendt did something on D-Day and if when the doors of the boat opened it was just guys blowing each other and how that would have defeated Germany then and there.

TOFOP

http://www.tofop.com/fofop-127-russ-can-do-it/

Dave Anthony, Wil Anderson, & Dave Anthony

they make fun of Russell Crowe...but the highlight, to me, is making fun of Will Smith's son, Jaden and his tweets.

the Dollop podcast

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/

For my money, this is the funniest podcast I've ever listened to. Consistently. Just pure comedy and a silly education episode.

I don't think Dave Anthony is really well-known as a stand-up...or even great on his own.

But on podcasts? He is the best.

Gareth Reynolds is great on this.

'The Rube' is what I suggested to my baseball-loving brother.

if you hear it, you'll get my brother's text back to me....

I listened to that podcast last night on Rube Wadell...pretty fucki--OHMYGOD A FIRETRUCK

Hugh Glass, Purity Balls, Cliven Bundy, and Competitive Endurance Tickling are stand outs too.

I'd almost just say start from the 1st with Cliven Bundy.

Walking the Room

just listened to basically 100+ episodes of Walking the Room in the last month (11-hour work/commute days=lot of time to listen to that much)

still need to listen to basically all the live ones that they made only available by purchase (having difficulty transferring it over to my iPod)

Must listens of the episode

-anything Patton Oswalt or Brian Posehn (particularly episode 81...listened to that one for the first time in years just the other day)

#82- Dave tells the worst audition story ever (Argh! I'm a pirate!)

there's a ton more.

It's brilliant since they're comics who are best friends.

Greg Behrendt is kind of looked down upon since he's a self-help/dating guy who appeared on Oprah.

Dave Anthony, meanwhile, is someone you've never heard of before...but REALLY should...he's the best comic no one knows about and should be WAY bigger than he is. 

I always kind of heard this saying from Dave Chappelle saying, 'Stay in your lane' as something he said to Jeffrey Ross being the Roast Master. It's what he does and he does it best.

Some comedians find things that they are GREAT at when they can't do much else.

Chris Rock, meanwhile, can't do movies...but he kills with stand-up.

Doug Benson with his movie podcast.

Then there's Dave Anthony/Greg Behrendt with their friendship/podcast...but Dave has done even more with TOFOP (w/ Wil Anderson, an Australian comic) and now the Dollop.

The Dollop is just brilliant and something that's much more accessible and ABOUT something than Walking the Room is.

WTF w/ Marc Maron

...finally getting back into this...

the Mike Myers episode is really great to listen to.

Edited by Cassidy

Yeah, Mike Myers was a great listen. 

Kumail has been killing me on Harmontown recently too. The show has just been really solid lately. He and Dan Harmon have such great Chemistry. Dana Carvey just had a great appearance on it as well. 

Here is my list right now on my phone. Some I listen to all the time, others I only pick and choose episodes.

Welcome To Night Vale

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Criminal

WTF with Marc Maron

Nerdist
Harmontown

Doug Loves Movies

Sklarbro Country/County

Monday Morning Podcast

Rich Eisen

BS Report

Cashing In With TJ Miller

Smodcast

Joe Rogan

You Made It Weird with Pete Homes

Ari Shaffir's Skeptic Tank

Jonah Raydio

Walking The Room

Never Not Funny (Jimmy Pardo)

The Civil War (1861-1865)

Wine For Normal People

Guild Of Sommeliers Wine Podcast

listened to a couple podcasts...

Joe Rogan

-Bill Burr

-Mike Birbiglia

Opie & Anthony (uploaded onto a podcast form)

-Best of Patrice O'Neal

-Bill Burr

You Made it Weird

-Bill Burr

the Champs Podcast

-Chris Rock

Never Not Funny

-Patton Oswalt

CrabFeast

-Bill Burr

Walking the Room

-Best of Live (worth checking out for the Dave Holmes story: it's a must)

KP Chat Show (Kevin Pollack)

-Bill Burr

-Bill Hader (love Hader. Just a great listen)

Bertcast

-Bill Burr

the Dollop

-Ferguson (they go over Ferguson Missouri: one of the funniest podcasts...tries to be funny with a ridiculous subject each week, but this one they realize is just sad)

Grantland NFL podcast

-season previews (Robert Mays/Bill Barnwell)

you can tell I sought out any podcast Burr was on. Worth it.

I'll return to some of these with some guests.

Short Corner Podcast 

Riley of Thrice was on it this week.

Justin Halpern is consistently funny....his stories this week of William Shatner & blowjobs, not being on the list of the traveling baseball team in college, etc.

then Paul Shirley's Reggie Evans story and how over-the-top dirty he is.

if you like basketball, it's a must...but even if you don't, it's funny/worthwhile. You don't need to know basketball to enjoy this episode.

I don't watch basketball much at all until the playoffs, but this is something I follow on the regular to make up for that.

Pete Holmes Podcast: 'You Made It Weird'

really digging this as a funnier WTF w/ Maron

the Dane Cook episode among others are good.

Listening to the Gary Gulman episode (basically listening to all the ones with the comics I dig...or comics from Massachusetts he started with)

this clip involving Chris Thayer (he played it to Gulman of the hardest he laughed recently) singing to Bob Seger was too funny

Podcast Festival

it's this weekend and it's $20 if you want a livestreaming pass (it's available for 3 weeks of basically all the shows)

Chris Rock and Questlove on Rosenberg Radio wi th Juan Epstein was amazing. Lot of hip hop tall but fun. I'm going to hit up shaNe when I get the chance but I figure that dude is already in the loop.

https://soundcloud.com/rosenbergradio/chris-rock-and-uestlove-on-a-majour-thanksgiving-juan-ep

Edited by Cassidy

Todd Glass Podcast

listened to it the first time (he was the comic who had a GREAT guest spot on Marc Maron's podcast coming out)

Patton Oswalt's 2 favorite podcasts are this and the Dollop (his friend Dave)

I only listened to Patton Oswalt's episode back in November...and it's amazing with so much going on. I might have to check out some more.

WTF w/ Marc Maron had Paul Thomas Anderson and Richard Linklater last week (Mike Judge was on today and I've yet to listen to that one)

PTA was, as I expected, super engaging (I heard his DVD commentaries are pretty awesome ,particularly for BOOGIE NIGHTS).

Linklater sounds a LOT like Owen Wilson.

oh, another thing...

Bill Simmons had Chuck Klosterman on his podcast this week (I think most people tune out Simmons...except when he might have Klosterman)

-Klosterman recommended FORCE MAJEURE as an alternative to do the type of movies Simmons' wife likes (the disaster scenario where you role-play the worst nightmare). I get the feeling it's the type of movie that would fuck with what his wife likes...and that Simmons will never watch it.

-EYES WIDE SHUT is talked about as a movie that fits as to not making a whole lot of sense, I think, or the type of movie that is very left-of-center...and the way they talked about it, particularly Klosterman's crazy theory about why Kubrick made the movie with intention of destroying Tom Cruise, makes me want to check that movie out.

-Simmons mentions the Maron-PTA podcast...and how PTA wishes he had cut MAGNOLIA a ton. He loves PTA but also didn't like THE MASTER at all (if someone accuses me of stealing from Simmons, know I shit on it long before he did). He mentioned Wes Anderson/PTA as both directors who get overpraised...but clearly does NOT like Wes Anderson. I'd tend to agree that if you don't like Wes Anderson, you probably never will. But I do wish Simmons would get past the Coen brothers dislike though.

-'Birdman' and 'Whiplash' were Simmons 2 favorite movies, I think, with 'Birdman' #1

-BOYHOOD is talked about and Linklater

-WHIPLASH is talked about for the type of thing it is talking about: a hard-ass and whether that works; everything in society is pushing away from that.

-Simmons predicts that SELMA peaked far too late for the Oscars and would get snubbed...which is what happened.

-CITIZENFOUR talk from Klosterman, which I really want to check out. Lot of hacking talk and the fear of that.

I forget what else that pertains to just movies.

but yeah, the Maron-PTA podcast is awesome.