Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ignitionnight

Best Podcasts

141 posts in this topic

Does anybody here listen to "Your Mom's House" with Tom Segura and Chistina Pazsitzky? It has recently become one of my favorite things to listen to. So damn funny and disgusting.

I have been hearing things about that podcast for a bit

My favorite Podcasts of the year are pretty much the same as most years, but here is my list (no oder). A few I listen to every episode and other's I listen when it seems interesting.

Sklarbro Country/County - I love this show and the Sklars. They might not be for everyone, but they are great. I wish I could listen to everyone, but they release too many.
WTF with Maron - Still the best interviewer out there. 
Doug Loves Movies - Never miss this. I LOVE game shows. I want to see this live so bad.
Hardcore History - Absolutely amazing. I wish there were more episodes a year, but it is very understandable why there are not. So much research, so much info, and fantastic narratives. 
Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast - If you are fan of Burr, you should listen to this.

Serial - Thought this was really good. I think it almost got too big for it's own good. People expected WAY too much from this Podcast. I feel like people were expecting a generic movie plot/story/ending from this. 
Criminal - Quick and interesting stories.

Welcome To Nightvale - I lost some interest in this, but there are still some great moments.
BS Report - I listen to episodes here and there, but they are still some great ones.
Harmontown - This is great if you listen to it consistently. I fell off at one point and have had a hard time getting back into it. I love when Kumail is on it
You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes - I listen to an episode now and then if the guest interests me. I usually enjoy it quite a bit though. They are too long to listen to without caring about the guest.
Ari Shaffir's Skeptic Tank - Really enjoy Ari, but this fall into the same category as You Made It Weird
Smart Passive Income - Good for people interested in entrepreneurship and online income
Entrepreneur On Fire - Same as above
I'll Drink To That! Talking Wine With Levi Dalton - Some great interviews with people in the Wine Industry
Wine For Normal People - Solid podcasts for people looking to get basic understandings of wine and regions.
Guild Of Sommeliers Wine Podcast - Good podcast for people in the industry.

I really want to check out some other podcasts this year. I have here and there, but I need to really give some more a proper chance. 

Edited by donwayneleach

The Fighter and The Kid - Bryan Callen (Mad TV etc) and Brendan Schaub (UFC Heavyweight) podcast about UFC, comedy and random shit. Pretty hilarious a lot of the time, Brendan Schaub is actually funnier than Callen a lot of the time. This is my new favorite podcast. If you like MMA, comedy or sports you should be listening to this. They post most of their podcasts on youtube too.

Bryan Callen loses a bet and does the podcast in his underwear.

Joe Rogan tries to convince Brendan Schaub to stop fighting after losing to Travis Browne. This shit blew up.

If you watched/listened to that Rogan one, for sure listen to this follow up. Schaub's reaction to the Rogan podcast.

I've listened to every episode of that podcast. Probably the most reliably funny podcast I've listened to.

EDIT: The Rogan podcast is special, but people who aren't into MMA probably won't find it interesting. My favorite episodes are the ones with Will Sasso. He might be the funniest dude off the cuff to ever appear on a podcast.

Edited by chase

I have been back listening to Harmon town the past 4 episodes or so. I forgot how funny Dan Harmon can be. Hopefully, I will stick with it for a while.

Also, the Sklar Bros have been great as always. They are filming a pilot soon for a "John Oliver Type Sports" (their words) show for Comedy Central. Most comedy sport shows fail. I hope they can pull one off. They are so good a riffing and know pretty much every sport well enough or really well. 

A kid I know was on Myq Kaplan's podcast. It was a pretty typical podcast, but it was funny to hear him on it. My friend is a comedian in New York. He host a lot of shows. 

So what does everyone use for a Podcast App? 

I had to stop using Itunes Podcast App because it is a nightmare and glitchy. 

I recently got ICatcher and I am enjoying it quite a bit. It is simple, downloads fast, and never clitches.

Anyone got a better option?

Pocket Casts is unbeatable on Android, can't speak for how good it is on IOS, but i'd assume its just as great.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-casts/id414834813?mt=8

They sync with a web app too that's only 9 bucks, but it has a 14 day trial. If they can turn it into a chrome app I'll probably buy it for my chromebook, I need offline caching.
https://play.pocketcasts.com/web

Artie Lange on Joe DeRosa's podcast is great (ditto for Joe Rogan's this week too)...but I enjoyed DeRosa more. Made me want to see movies they mentioned more.

Robert Kelly breaks knee playing football on TOURGASM

I remember watching this when it happened.

Had I known, at the time, how badly he would be roasted/made fun of by Opie & Anthony/Jim Norton, I would have done everything in my power to seen it there

....pretty crucial context clip for this...

Best of Robert Kelly: Opie & Anthony/Jim Norton make fun of Robert Kelly breaking his leg

cut RIGHT to the 42-minute mark

the podcast has the full thing of the 'schwoogie game' but the youtube clip doesn't

so here's

the SCHWOOGIE GAME

cut RIGHT to the 2 hour 15 minute 30 second mark

played these clips for my brother when hanging out with him today and we were cracking up.

It's something that I could find myself singing along to/adding (and I'm one of those, like many on here, who have/had no idea what 'schwoogie' meant)

the ONLY thing missing from these clips: the one and only Patrice O'Neal.

Goddamnit.

He was around for the Tourgasm shit, I don't know about the schwoogie one...but he has his own 'Best of' for the Opie & Anthony that they put up on podcasts.

THe work that Patrice did that was NOT on albums/specials are classic material in their own rights.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think one of my favorite things about podcasts is that it takes people who you might have given up on or say are NOT funny...but it gives them an avenue to be funny and a new audience.

-Walking the Room: 2 long-time friends who are looked at as jokes: Behrendt for writing dating books/going on Oprah; Dave Anthony for being a worst enemy to himself, in ways. But both have EXTREMELY bad luck...it's just about the funniest possible podcast I can imagine.

-WTF w/ Marc Maron: kind of a guy who was an addict/worst enemy/curmudgeon to others now a host/father figure to other comedians...totally a 'character' in his personality quirks, has become endearing to comedy fans

-Sklarbro Country: they do a lot of characters on the show, but when they were on ESPN a decade or so back, I didn't like them or what they did...but it's totally working in this format

you can probably see it/get that in others.

I'm not into MMA, but I'd be interested in which ones Will Sasso was funny in. I was never a MadTV fan, but when I do see him in shit, he's funny.

Edited by Cassidy

Pocket Casts is unbeatable on Android, can't speak for how good it is on IOS, but i'd assume its just as great.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-casts/id414834813?mt=8

They sync with a web app too that's only 9 bucks, but it has a 14 day trial. If they can turn it into a chrome app I'll probably buy it for my chromebook, I need offline caching.

https://play.pocketcasts.com/web

Pocket Casts just got a major Material Design update for Android. If you listen to podcasts on Android and don't use this app you're doing it wrong.

I have been listening to Hound Tall Discussion Series with Moshe Kasher. 

It is a pretty solid podcast. I feel like they are still figuring things out a bit but I like it. 

Moshe has an expert on a subject come on and him and a few comedians just riff on what the guy says. It can be somewhat annoying at times when you want to hear what the expert says. They just keep interrupting. Then again,  it is the point of the podcast when it comes down to it. 

I really liked the one with Greg Proops. He is one of the best riff guys ever and the guest was great. 

I hope he gets on Paul F. Thompkins soon, because he is also one of the best riff guys out there. 

Other guests that I have heard on it have been Nikki Glazer, Pete Holmes, Nick Kroll, Chelsea Peretti and Kumail Nanjiani.

^I listened to the one with Pete Holmes and Joe DeRosa last week because those guys are fucking great (listen to ANY time Holmes/DeRosa get together on Holmes' podcast, You Made it Weird, or Derosa's podcast: it's great chemistry between 2 comedian friends; lots of Seinfeld impersonations and 'Glengary Glenn Ross' references)

Loved Holmes/DeRosa ribbing Moshe Kasher for the 'black' podcast he has: the Champs w/ Neal Brennan where they only really have black guests on.

Proops has been mentioned as a guy who can riff on anything and just go the fuck off on any subject. Listened to him before and like him.

Henry Rollins now has a new podcast called Henry and Heidi, Heidi is his assistant and sounds like the closest thing he has to a real friend.

I'm two episodes in and I wish it was just Henry, Heidi doesn't really add anything to the show other than make Rollins laugh maniacally when she makes him uncomfortable with a topic. I guess she brings up good stories for him to tell and she can call him on bullshit, buy I wish she was more of a background producer than cohost.

He's been doing one man shows for years he doesn't need a cohost.

Henry Rollins now has a new podcast called Henry and Heidi, Heidi is his assistant and sounds like the closest thing he has to a real friend.

I'm two episodes in and I wish it was just Henry, Heidi doesn't really add anything to the show other than make Rollins laugh maniacally when she makes him uncomfortable with a topic. I guess she brings up good stories for him to tell and she can call him on bullshit, buy I wish she was more of a background producer than cohost.

He's been doing one man shows for years he doesn't need a cohost.

Yeah, I listened to Rollins on Jay Mohr's podcast (December and this month) and Pete Holmes (this month)

he was also on Maron's podcast a long while back.

I was REALLY into Rollins' spoken word albums my freshman year of college...awesome stories. I haven't gone back to listen to them much, but I do intend to.

I want to say Rollins comes across as a fascinating...but not too well at all.

He's super intense. He engages, tells a story, but Mohr/Holmes don't make him laugh (Mohr makes him give a 2-note laugh in the 2nd podcast) but he doesn't bite, doesn't pick up on sarcasm much, or anything. 

You do get the sense that he has zero friends and sucks socially (in Holmes' podcast, he REALLY gets at that and you feel kind of sad for the dude). Like, he's doing all these great things, being an adventurer, seeing the world, going to all these places, and just being Henry Rollins...but he doesn't have friends, he has PTSD, and other ailments that he refuses to get help for. And he's 100% about work all the time.

I've said this before but Adam, who used to post on here, reminds me of Henry Rollins, in a way.

Adam is a SUPER intense dude who is hyper-aware like Rollins is...and brilliant, about the work, and is driven...but Adam is a guy who can be goofy, can laugh, and be human-ish (doesn't pick up on sarcasm all the time). He's a dude's dude though, but slightly off-ish, in a way....but Henry Rollins is off in a way that works in a way to idealize as an awesome dude. But I don't idealize him as a guy I'd want to be like at all. I just wish somebody would be his friend, take him aside, have him be less intense and a workaholic.

...I might check out his podcast but I don't like the idea of him doing it with someone unfunny and not nearly on his level (Adam Carolla had that problem)

he was also influenced to start a podcast after doing You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes (the girl sidekick was the one who mentioned the idea to him)

Adam Carolla was the first podcast I listened to nearly every day for a year my Junior year of college (along with Bill Simmons)

Carolla was doing it mostly by himself...and with a guest.

But then he made it more radio show-y...and added people that weren't funny (I think he's since notoriously fired them unceremoniously in a weird way) and I just stopped listening a long time ago...and just found far better podcasts that stayed in the lane of what they were great at.

I didn't like the news girl...but I know he got sued by the Weez, one of his best friends growing up. I read a bit about that and thay sucked to hear...I never cared for Bald Bryan...the News girl was pretty but she didn't add anything to the show and took away from what I liked about it. With that said, she was fired in a messed up way By email via carolla after being on for 4 years. Who does that? Do it in person or call. Carolla said she was a good sidekick, but not a great one. Which isn't a bad thing, in his mind, because he felt like she could be a star by herself.

I don't believe he believed that, I think he was just rationalizing an obviously questionable handling of the firing, and for a guy that really is known for cutting the bullshit, he seems more full of it than ever recently. I wrote some other thoughts about him in response to your post in the movie thread. I'm still a fan at heart but I need some time off from him. I still listen to classic Loveline sometimes though.

I saw that, but what were particular examples of him saying shit and being full of it? I know he says a lot of things I don't agree with at all that is far right wing, some that is common sense and funny....I definitely liked the Hammer more than you did though and some of his books were far better than they had any right to be.

The morning he announced the firing of Alison Rosen, he then immediately went into a story about some DJ's who were fired from KROQ back when he was doing the morning show. He was talking about the indecency of the producers and bigwigs for not giving these DJs an opportunity to say goodbye on the air, and was too preoccupied with gloating over how he let them come on to his show and say their piece to notice the irony in him having just given Alison her pink slip via email while she was on vacation across the country. That's kind of bullshit. 

Haha how the hell could he not be aware of that? Even by the stuff I read about it, it sounded tone deaf. when in listened to it, I didn't like her on the show...but it's decency and messed up to do it like thay obviously.

Haha how the hell could he not be aware of that? 

Because he was too caught up in doing damage control for the shady firing. That story was a counterpoint intended to paint himself in a more considerate and positive light, but he was tone deaf to the blatant irony, although you've spoiled the term "tone deaf" for me.

Opie and Jim Norton Podcast: Opie addresses Anthony

interesting podcast to listen to.

Basically Anthony blew up on Opie on his podcast...and Opie then finally got to give his side of the story. You can tell how deeply hurt/heartbroken Opie is about everything. It's not a funny podcast, but one that comes from someone who is heartbroken. Kind of like a funeral, of sorts.

Jim Norton mostly listens as a guy between the fence of two friends who is neutral. 

I do kind of have to say: Anthony gets painted as the big jerk-off. They did NOT speak since 1999, really, outside of the show and did not get along (man, I found that hard to believe). Real weird to find out about.

I'm not the biggest O&A fan except when seeking out Patrice O'Neal, Bill Burr, Louis CK, Jim Norton, Bobby Kelly clips, etc (remember when they were big around here)

Anthony is a funny dude...but he 100% has been a guy who has gone far off the reservation, got fired for racist shit last year, and being unapologetic about it. Comes across like a huge asshole on Twitter, etc, and you can kind of see it in a way that makes you cringe (Joe DeRosa was one comic who blasted Cumia as a former friend/guest of the show who had enough of Cumia's shit and couldn't stand for the racist shit and spoke up about that on Joe Rogan's podcast, etc). I just can't see him doing well without Opie, Jim, and those guys. It probably will go downhill since Patrice isn't there at all either. But yeah, I agree with probably nothing much with Cumia politically/socially. But I did enjoy his humor and what he could add when he was at his best. There was good chemistry.

but it sounds like the hardcore fans of the show are really shitting on Opie. But the biggest thing you learn is that it's surprising the show lasted as long as it did since they had a nonexistant relationship outside of the show it sounds like.

The show releases selected bits from the show onto its podcast...so I'm not sure how recent the clip is, but it startled me hearing about (however selectively I do).

Edited by Cassidy

After listening long enough, it was pretty obvious even before both of them spoke out what was going on.  Both of them are dicks in different ways.  

Opie is an asshole boss who doesn't treat those who work for him well.  He's thin skinned, which is a horrible trait for someone in that line of work.  Most people who have worked for him and left shit on him.  Everyone would get made fun of, but when it turned to Opie he handled it like a child.  He's not really funny or intelligent.  He knows radio and usually knows where to steer the show.

Anthony is an asshole philosophically.  His worldview is abhorrent and he's become obsessed with it.  He was never very political before Obama was elected.  I think his racism, combined with his love for his guns and money, has pushed him over the top the past few years.  On the other hand, he (along with Jim) was what made the show funny and listenable.

Neither comes out of this looking too hot.  Although hardly any of the information is new.  It was fun while it lasted.

Edited by fellside

After listening long enough, it was pretty obvious even before both of them spoke out what was going on.  Both of them are dicks in different ways.  

Opie is an asshole boss who doesn't treat those who work for him well.  He's thin skinned, which is a horrible trait for someone in that line of work.  Most people who have worked for him and left shit on him.  Everyone would get made fun of, but when it turned to Opie he handled it like a child.  He's not really funny or intelligent.  He knows radio and usually knows where to steer the show.

Anthony is an asshole philosophically.  His worldview is abhorrent and he's become obsessed with it.  He was never very political before Obama was elected.  I think his racism, combined with his love for his guns and money, has pushed him over the top the past few years.  On the other hand, he (along with Jim) was what made the show funny and listenable.

Neither comes out of this looking too hot.  Although hardly any of the information is new.  It was fun while it lasted.

pretty much how i've described it when talking about those two.

anthony is as fast, sharp and clever as any comedian they would bring on the show and he can take/give a ball-busting with the best of them, but he's almost a caricature of a stereotypical racist gun nut. without opie around to change the subject/play devil's advocate/steer him more towards humor and away from ranting, he's unlistenable.

opie doesn't have a funny bone in his body, can't take a beating, and in general kinda seems like a phony. he NEEDS to be surrounded by comedians because without them he, like ant, is pretty much unlistenable.

it's crazy how much these two need(ed) each other. anthony would've never been able to make it in radio without someone like opie to keep him in check and opie would've never been interesting to listen to without someone like ant being as funny as he is. it's kinda depressing to see them try to keep going without the other. 

Edited by Shane

Pretty perfect summation.

I heard a rumor that Ron Bennington might get together with Anthony somehow now that Fez is retiring.  That could actually be a good radio show, but I'm not sure if it's really going to happen.  The two of them did a show together this past week I think.

Opie and Jim isn't terrible, but it doesn't have nearly the same dynamic.  I'll only listen if I see on Youtube that they had someone in like Ricky Gervais or Louis CK.