Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ignitionnight

Best Podcasts

141 posts in this topic

Yeah, Shane and you guys (and Vince, wherever he is right now) are huge fans of O&A than I was, so you could sum up them better.

I never listened to what Anthony said and that would probably help.

But man, Anthony is painted as a BIG asshole and someone you wouldn't want to work with (even if he is THE comedy in what you come out for)

Jim Norton was on Joe Rogan's podcast and Bert Kreischer's. I listened to Bert's and most of Rogan's. He had a LOT more to add than what he did on Opie's rant (he smartly chose to back off)

Opie said he was a tough boss...but he NEVER wanted to be the boss. Anthony just didn't care (and definitely maybe has a drinking problem, which is alluded to by even Norton)

Who were the people that left that shit on Opie though? I didn't hear Anthony's side, so maybe that's where it came from. But it seemed like everybody on staff stayed.

You definitely came away with Opie acknowledging he knew the business/radio aspect of it in ways Anthony didn't know dick about or really care for in the small details...but Anthony was the talent, of which Opie would never take away from. That he is brilliant. Holy shit, even listening to some of the 'Best Of' stuff, Anthony is amazing and stands toe-to-toe with THE best of anybody (Louis; Patrice). His laugh kills me and the shit he does is absolutely killer.

but yeah, I was NOT aware of it the way others probably were.

I told my brother about it and he said, 'well, most radio people hate each other. You hear about it. It's a job.'

I wouldn't agree with it. It's one thing to have people bicker with opinions. But it's another to have a comedy show put together and do something great with that. It's amazing that they didn't get along and they did something that had some amazing moments.

But yeah, the type of person who was an Opie & Anthony fan, I got the sense was kind of a shithead (the ones who did dial in to the show and otherwise)

I do wonder if Jim and Opie will continue. How Jim puts it is interesting. It's "Opie Show with Jim Norton" not "Opie and Jim"...he has hopes they DO get back together. But, man, I find it hard to believe they will after what was said.

Joe pushed Jim to have a podcast of his own. I do think a podcast than some premium Sirius show is a better way to go.

There's just TOO many good podcasts out there that I don't think Opie OR Anthony would be good/worthwhile by themselves, as you'd say. Opie's not funny. Anthony IS, but he's gone WAY off the reservation as of late in a shitty way.

Yeah, Shane and you guys (and Vince, wherever he is right now) are huge fans of O&A than I was, so you could sum up them better.

I never listened to what Anthony said and that would probably help.

But man, Anthony is painted as a BIG asshole and someone you wouldn't want to work with (even if he is THE comedy in what you come out for)

Jim Norton was on Joe Rogan's podcast and Bert Kreischer's. I listened to Bert's and most of Rogan's. He had a LOT more to add than what he did on Opie's rant (he smartly chose to back off)

Opie said he was a tough boss...but he NEVER wanted to be the boss. Anthony just didn't care (and definitely maybe has a drinking problem, which is alluded to by even Norton)

Who were the people that left that shit on Opie though? I didn't hear Anthony's side, so maybe that's where it came from. But it seemed like everybody on staff stayed.

You definitely came away with Opie acknowledging he knew the business/radio aspect of it in ways Anthony didn't know dick about or really care for in the small details...but Anthony was the talent, of which Opie would never take away from. That he is brilliant. Holy shit, even listening to some of the 'Best Of' stuff, Anthony is amazing and stands toe-to-toe with THE best of anybody (Louis; Patrice). His laugh kills me and the shit he does is absolutely killer.

but yeah, I was NOT aware of it the way others probably were.

I told my brother about it and he said, 'well, most radio people hate each other. You hear about it. It's a job.'

I wouldn't agree with it. It's one thing to have people bicker with opinions. But it's another to have a comedy show put together and do something great with that. It's amazing that they didn't get along and they did something that had some amazing moments.

But yeah, the type of person who was an Opie & Anthony fan, I got the sense was kind of a shithead (the ones who did dial in to the show and otherwise)

I do wonder if Jim and Opie will continue. How Jim puts it is interesting. It's "Opie Show with Jim Norton" not "Opie and Jim"...he has hopes they DO get back together. But, man, I find it hard to believe they will after what was said.

Joe pushed Jim to have a podcast of his own. I do think a podcast than some premium Sirius show is a better way to go.

There's just TOO many good podcasts out there that I don't think Opie OR Anthony would be good/worthwhile by themselves, as you'd say. Opie's not funny. Anthony IS, but he's gone WAY off the reservation as of late in a shitty way.

Listening to Opie and Anthony's relationship deteriorate over the years has been sickly fascinating going back to the infamous "grape incident" and beyond. More and more they just sounded like two guys shoehorning themselves into two diametrically opposed trajectories, one obsessed to the point of parody with his poorly-informed politics and gun ownership, the other incessantly aiming for a viral video or a cheap scoop to get his show on gossip sites and name-dropping sections of rags like the New York Post. In the middle, hilariously, was (is) Jim Norton, a hilariously irreverent comedian trying to keep his heading-for-a-divorce parents together (and his wallet). 

At times, this made for great radio. I can remember a day when Lewis Black and Patrice O'neal were in studio and Anthony started to ramble and rant about crime and people of color and politics, allowing a perfectly flustered Lewis Black to frantically search for words to describe how insane Anthony became. He was right, mind you. Listening to Anthony was like reading Flowers for Algernon. Here you have this comedic genius who, before our very eyes, became a raging racist, bigot, and incredible idiot, only giving a glimpse of the funny "everyman" character he once was on the radio. There was a time when I never missed a show, but Anthony made it very hard for me to remain a fan. Even before he was fired, the show was only as good as their guests, which is now the glaring truth about O and J, who struggle desperately to sustain my interest unless they have interesting guests or comedians in studio.

It's still sad, though. A part of me felt like I was listening to my separated parents duke it out over twenty years of partial success and painful failure. However, like a marriage, I think both guys just ended up simply getting on each other's nerves. It reminds me of the old "Mike and the Mad Dog" sports show on WFAN660 from years ago, another show where the sum was much greater than the parts. Even sadder is how both guys won't achieve the success alone that they had together, which means they'll both limp to the finish line (at least career-wise). Sure, their show was mostly idiotic, but some of the absolute hardest laughs I've ever had in my life have come from O and A (and J) and I still keep old clips on in the background -- they're definitely comfort food for me. 

I'm not so sure I can add to what's already been said about their "break-up." Opie is infamously difficult to work with. For all of his faults, he does not lack ambition and has always been driven to advance the radio show, so I can understand (yet not support) what has reportedly been his professional style. Everyone who leaves that show verbally destroys him for all of the reasons Anthony expounded on during "Walking on Greggshells." Anthony, in turn, is an infamous loudmouth drunk, oftentimes being late to the studio, being hungover, or both. No one is more at fault than the other, here, save for the fact that Anthony is a racist idiot and got himself fired for being a bigot on twitter and opting for plausible deniability afterwards. His politics really dragged the show down and up until "Walking on Greggshells," I hadn't listened to one minute of his nonsense and don't ever plan on it.

I never thought I'd be able to turn on those guys after listening for all those years, but I was a kid. As an adult, what Anthony spews disgusts me and most of what Opie does bores me. It's to the point now where I look to see who is in studio and decide based on guests whether I'm going to listen. Bob Kelly, Colin Quinn, Tom Papa, Rich Vos? I'm in. Florentine? I'm out. Every discussion with that guy turns into something you'd hear in a high school cafeteria about how much someone gets laid. It's exhausting. 

How do you like this for a rant? I'd like to say, Cass, that I was a closet fan for most of the years because of how abjectly stupid most of their fans are (judging by what's said on-air from callers). Both guys would be the first to admit that their fans are monsters. 

End of an era, indeed. Didn't like hearing Opie break down at all. It was, and is, sad. 

As far as what I'm listening to these days -- "How did this get made?" is quickly becoming one of my favorite podcasts out there. Mantsoukas (not even going to claim this is close to how it's spelled) is a beast. I also love Greg Proops' podcast called "The Smartest Man in the World," "Doug Loves Movies," "You made it Weird," and the occasional "Joe Rogan Experience" depending on the guests. I sometimes dig Mark Maron and will always throw on Hardcore History when I'm cleaning or cooking. 

It's amazing how much you and I agree on this.  Literally every word of that post.

Marty, look up "Walking on Gregshells" on Youtube.  Watch a little bit of it to get Ant's side of the story.

But then never watch any of his show again unless you feel like getting a Glenn Beck vibe.

Damn, it's 2 hours 8 minutes for 'Walking on Gregshells': might watch it sometime later.

The interesting thing is this...

-Jim Norton aligns himself with Anthony bit as a match comedically, style, outspoken, etc.

-Opie AND Jim NEVER say anything about Anthony's political/social stances that have rubbed people wrong that loved him and just can't support it: that does NOT seem to be their issue...well, except Opie did hint at Anthony continually toeing the line with racial issues (and inevitably having a tweet get him in trouble). But that seemed to be more Sirius having a problem than them; they don't care about the other shit.

'the grape incident'

haha...I really need to check that one out.

haha I wish I could hear Lewis Black in studio with Patrice...Patrice didn't seem to care. He'd roll along with it/laugh at anything than get heated/outraged or whatever

Jim Norton was LIVID with idiot fans: because the 2 camps are split between Opie and Anthony...so the Anthony fans are REALLY pissed/driving things and putting Jim inbetween when that's not the ase. They felt like Jim and everybody should have just quit.

But, like you see anything, there's more fans who support the people. But if you see shit on Twitter, it's mainly responding to trolls/assholes, the minority.

It's amazing how much you and I agree on this.  Literally every word of that post.

Marty, look up "Walking on Gregshells" on Youtube.  Watch a little bit of it to get Ant's side of the story.

But then never watch any of his show again unless you feel like getting a Glenn Beck vibe.

I mean, again, he's a hilarious dude and I don't believe in any way that he shouldn't have a platform to speak his mind, but I already have enough inane bigotry in my life considering I spend holidays in Staten Island with my extended family -- I didn't and still don't need to listen to someone else rant about immigration, welfare, and what to do about black people. Furthermore, it was really pathetic to listen to Jim Norton say that Anthony isn't a racist (or at least prejudiced in some way, shape, or form). I get that he was defending his friend and sure, perhaps Anthony doesn't have any actual vitriolic hatred in his heart, but his views are problematic to say the least. This is a guy who frequents a website called "Niggermania" and actually referenced this "study" (http://www.lagriffedulion.f2s.com/retard.htm) on the air and wasn't being facetious. Yes. Really. He tried to Calvin Candie the fucking audience.

I'm in the process of finding the clip of Lewis and Anthony. As soon as I find it, I'll post it up. In the meantime, the grape incident: 

This shit is hilarious. 

Edit: This grape incident shit actually follows the same thread as Greggshells and Opie's response. 

Edited by Vince

still need to watch that...but...here's something else.

Opie & Anthony: Club Piscopo

Patton Oswalt mentioned this on Pete Holmes' podcast as something brilliant.

It is THE most mean/savage takedown of a comic...and then, unaware, they have him on the show after murdering him/his act for over 2 hours and have him do his hacky bits.

and then they do the awfully mean thing of pretending that they lost connection with him while he is still on the line for an uncomfortable amount of time.

You will feel totally uncomfortable, but it's amazing.

they released it in podcast form and it comes in at 2 hours.

I listened to this twice in the last 2 days (today with my brother)...you will just feel AWFUL for Piscopo. 

But it can be so awkward and so goddamn funny...it's so goddamn great/special to hear of somebody hanging around too long, doing SUPER dated material, shit that doesn't work, being delusional/losing it, etc, etc.

Pete Holmes-Joe DeRosa

another live episode in Grand Rapids for You Made it Weird...again, ANY podcast with Joe DeRosa/Pete Holmes is gold (Hound Tall; Down with Joe DeRosa; You Made it Weird) and start from the beginning with them.

haha Simmons had Obama on his podcast and he knew Maron was the king of podcasts...but...the funniest shit is that Obama came to Maron's fucking house!!!!!
WTF indeed.

Pretty big step up for Maron. Glad I've seen Maron live a lot now (4x doing stand-up; 2x doing live WTF shows in Boston).
I wonder who he might be able to get come on his show now.
He has a lot of shitty guests I don't care about that are outside his realm a bit. I find myself not listening much anymore except when someone pops up.

some good joke made up of it...

Brandon Wardell: 
maron: i love to jack off in hotels
obama: wait what's goin on here, i'm the president
maron: lemme tell ya something about my cats

some others I might have missed, but I basically had the exact same thoughts about how unbelievable to have a sitting President do the show.
Makes sense with the target audience, how big podcasts are.

I remember Deadspin saying, 'Do people REALLY listen to podcasts?' and them saying no. I thought their office was fucking moronic for believing that is so.
I don't understand anyone who still listens to the radio. Podcasts replace that completely.

I like everything about it: you can get longform talks on a subject rather than a very canned 5-minute guest

Walking the Room
I really got to reiterate: my favorite podcast ever...if you have the time, it's worth checking out from the beginning.

I played a Patton Oswalt 'episode #81: Drop Some Bass' and it's as funny as podcast episodes get that I've listened to. I played it to my brother this weekend picking him up this weekend and it was just a straight hour of laughing.

I wish I had played this bit with Brian Posehn too...

Deadcast with Drew Magary
Love Drew Magary...but...this podcast sucks.
Magary doesn't come across well on it: just loud and unfunny generally. I'll give it time. But it's kind of like watching someone I liked, Bill Simmons, struggle when he went on TV. Except this is a podcast.
But he does it with another Deadcast guy and they do it via Skype: I think it shows: podcasting has to be done in the same room and you can sense that.

Bill Burr
love that he added a Thursday podcast that includes MORE ranting...and then throwback stuff

he has the only podcast where I don't skip past the ads because he'll say something absolutely gold or absolutely shit on the ads themselves to the point where the sponsor will remove themselves

this is amazing from last week...

^ So now that I have a real job that I have to commute an hour in traffic for, I gotta check out more podcasts. The Filmdrunk Frotcast is obviously my favorite, but they only have it once a week. I've been listening to the Deadcast one and its boring because its just the 2 guys (who aren't even in the same room). My friend always tries to get me into the Joe Rogan one, but its too far out there for me. What the hell would I like the most Marty, give me recommendations. I'm not a big Bill Burr or Marc Maron fan, so those are out. Same goes for Opie and Anthony. I dig the movies/tv and sports oriented ones the most.

Edited by Mixhail

That Bill Burr ad read is fucking hilarious. Even better than the legendary Shari's Berries read.

Yeah I was busting up so hard at work I had to walk into the hallway. That ad read was the funniest damn thing I've heard in a while. The way he reacted to the electronic sound that buzzes during the pretty doorbell music slayed me.

I don't understand anyone who still listens to the radio. Podcasts replace that completely.

Sometimes I just want to hear something live, and tuning into the radio while driving is easy for that.

That Bill Burr ad read is fucking hilarious. Even better than the legendary Shari's Berries read.

Yeah I was busting up so hard at work I had to walk into the hallway. That ad read was the funniest damn thing I've heard in a while. The way he reacted to the electronic sound that buzzes during the pretty doorbell music slayed me.

Hahahaha yeah.

Also, "Jesus Christ. That took a left turn, didn't it?"

And, "'Please share a personal story of how this could help you or someone you love.' Hey. You share a personal story, you cunts! Isn't it enough I'm reading your copy?"

^ So now that I have a real job that I have to commute an hour in traffic for, I gotta check out more podcasts. The Filmdrunk Frotcast is obviously my favorite, but they only have it once a week. I've been listening to the Deadcast one and its boring because its just the 2 guys (who aren't even in the same room). My friend always tries to get me into the Joe Rogan one, but its too far out there for me. What the hell would I like the most Marty, give me recommendations. I'm not a big Bill Burr or Marc Maron fan, so those are out. Same goes for Opie and Anthony. I dig the movies/tv and sports oriented ones the most.

I'd give Bill Burr another try. Even though it's him alone and it's funnier if he has someone, it's still solid.
I don't think FilmDrunk Frotcast is that good. But it does satisfy going over your pop culture needs...and you are active on the FilmDrunk comments.
Marc Maron is good for SOME guests. Just skip the intro with him rambling. I'm a fan of him and even that gets tedious.
Opie and Anthony only releases best of shit: I don't listen to it often...but yeah, the 'Best of' Robert Kelly, Bill Burr, Louis CK are musts.

Joe Rogan's podcast go loooooong (which is what some people want) and they can do down rabbit holes. But it works if you do like it. Just depends on if it's a guest you like.

I'll throw out a couple starters...

-the Dollop w/ Dave Anthony/Gareth Reynolds (START WITH: 'the Rube'; 'Hugh Glass': they're making a movie w/ Leonardo DiCaprio; Cliven Bundy; Purity Balls; Competitive Endurance Tickling)
it's an American history podcast on THE most fucked up things that have not really been covered. They had LAPD month.
Basically, one person (Dave Anthony) knows what the subject is...and the other (Gareth Reynolds) has NO idea, and they just riff on it.
-FOFOT/TOFOP with Wil Anderson
Sometimes satisfies my pop culture needs...AND...is a substitute for Walking the Room, in a way, when Dave Anthony is involved.
Wil Anderson is an Australian comic currently residing in LA...I can't pinpoint any particular episode since it's just random and rambling. But I do laugh hard. I'll keep my head up for something. 

But any one where Dave Anthony is a guest or Charlie Claussen. Maybe Gareth Reynolds.

TOFOP was with Charlie Clausen but Claussen got acting work...so they named it FOFOP because Wil Anderson is a sci-fi/comic nerd who watched FRINGE and named FOFOP (Faux Olivia, remember?). And it's named 'Thirty Odd Foot of Pod' mocking Australian Russell Crowe)

There is Australian references that I don't completely get at times, but it still manages to be funny where I can follow it.
The funniest one last year was when they made fun of Jaden Smith and Russell Crowe (might have been with both Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds or something). Then the time they shit on the newest Superman movie and broke it down why it sucked. then gave the best/funniest suggestions
-Inactives w/ Matt Ufford/Nick Stevens
you like football so this is a must
Nick Stevens is basically my stand-in for me as a Pats fan: he's got a Boston accent and he's funny.  I had zero idea who he was before the show and now he's a favorite. He delivers the best jokes.
Matt Ufford is a Seahawk fan...and, well, he's awesome.
-Walking the Room (200 episodes)
beating the drum once again. It's been over, but it's a treat. My favorite/best podcast ever.
If you got time, it's worth it to do them all. If you make it past the first 10 episodes (start from the beginning), you're golden. Funniest podcast ever, Patton Oswalt's best friends who he basically started out with. They basically become your best friends. Amazing stories.

The live episodes, you have to pay for (I haven't listened to those yet completely: they had Bill Burr and others on)
They rarely have guests and, when they do, they talk over them and it's just part of the thing in a funny way that works (Kyle Kinane, etc.)

I've always said: the BEST podcasts are with 2 people in a room: Walking the Room, TOFOP/FOFOP, Inactives.
Then there's ones with 1 guest and are interviews basically (Maron; Pete Holmes)...but it's more natural and you get the inside jokes/chemistry with the ones I mentioned above.

Some others are solid...
-You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes (substitute for Marc Maron; much more funnier guy; does go down deep, philosophical holes with guests)
-Hound Tall with Moshe Kasher

like I said, any podcast with Bill Burr, Joe DeRosa/Pete Holmes (live or otherwise) are great.

other recommendations for Mixhail...

Sklarbro Country
sports/pop culture podcast...with go-to comedy impressions/characters from some great comics

Riley of Thrice mentioned this, Walking the Room, and WTF w/ Maron as his favorites at one time.
Riley gets mentioned on Walking the Room a ton as a fan of the show, so that's amusing.

but yeah, I never listen to Sklarbro as much as I should. But when I do, I kick myself a bit (like today with Joe DeRosa)

I didn't like the Sklar Brothers initially (about 10-15 years ago). I thought it was kind of hacky/schticky with identical twins...but they're genuinely awesome/special in podcasting.

Yeah, this would probably be a great one for you to get into.,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Glass
only listened to the one with Patton Oswalt...but it's great.
Hound Tall w/ Moshe Kasher
for education w/ comedies...only like 7 episodes, if that, total so far
Chelsea Peretti
Bill Burr on this podcast is awesome
Tom Segura
haven't heard the one that he does with his wife...but he has a podcast this week with Joe Rogan, so I'm looking forward to listen to that one.
Lot of people on here love Segura, so that's one I'm bookmarking a bit.

Sklarbro Country
sports/pop culture podcast...with go-to comedy impressions/characters from some great comics
Hound Tall w/ Moshe Kasher
for education w/ comedies...only like 7 episodes, if that, total so far
Tom Segura
haven't heard the one that he does with his wife...but he has a podcast this week with Joe Rogan, so I'm looking forward to listen to that one.
Lot of people on here love Segura, so that's one I'm bookmarking a bit.

Not a huge fan of the Sklar brothers, but don't dislike them either. Might take a look at that one because I don't really have a sports podcast. The Fighter and The Kid isn't really a sports podcast even though they'll talk about MMA a lot.

I really liked Moshe Kasher and Neil Brennen's The Champs podcast, but they only have a new episode twice a year or so at this point. Heard okay things about his Hound Tall podcast so maybe I'll check that out too.

Tom Segura might be my favorite comedian, his Completely Normal standup special was amazing. I just don't really care for his Your Mom's House podcast with his wife, its just too weird for me to listen to regularly. 

I haven't got into Tom Segura the way I should...but with the way the inside jokes are with he and his wife, I hear it's better to listen to it from the start.

the Champs is solid: that's made fun of a bit on Hound Tall (particularly by Pete Holmes/Joe DeRosa) because it's basically just them talking to black people.
Moshe Kasher is currently in France writing for the ZOOLANDER movie for the summer...so the podcast is on hold for the next couple of months or so.

Sklar Brothers: if they have a guest on that you like, I'd listen to it for that whenever it comes up.

SPORTS...
-Short Corner Podcast (Justin Halpern/Paul Shirley)-was really good but that's gone now
-Grantland NFL Podcast -generally straight forward
-Inactives -that's the best: it's a combination of football, jokes, some pop culture, Game of Thrones ('All Men Must Drink' signoff: Valor Beerghulis)
-Bill Simmons -when that comes back

I listen to the Sklar Bros on the regular and have for a years They really grow on you. I didn't love it at first, but I am a huge fan. I love sports and comedy. Their reference game is on point. It doesn't always kill, but it is amazing how quick they are. They have a lot of fun with their interviews. They are just fanatics in general and I am too. I can relate.

I listen to Podcasts more than I listen to music or watch TV anymore. It is kind of crazy how much of my life it consumes. I love the medium though. 

Here is a list of ones I like. I listen to more than all this and some people have mentioned them. This is what I listen to pretty regularly. Also, I look for new ones all the time. 

Interview/Comedy
Doug Loves Movies - Game Show with Doug Benson. I haven't missed an episode in years. 
Harmontown - Dan Harmon's show (Creator of Community/Rick & Morty). I love this show. The whole cast of people is great. It is wonderful none-sense. Check out the documentary on Netflix. It is great. 
Hound Tall with Moshe Kasher - An expert sits in with comedians to discuss his expertise. 
WTF with Mark Maron - Probably my favorite interview host ever. I don't catch every episode, but I listen a lot.
Sklar Bro Country - Sports, comedy, hot takes, lots of quips, very passionate.
Monday Morning Podcast - Bill Burr rambles and it is usually pretty fucking funny. 
Nerdist - I like Chris Hardwick more than most. He has fun with his guests. Guests like him. 
You Made It Weird - Pete Holmes has in depth discussions with people about their beliefs. Really long episodes. Similar to WTF, but he is a very different host.
Malton On Movies -  Leonard Malton (movie review legend) and Baron Vaughn (comedian) discuss movies and movie themes
You're The Expert  - This is a game show with an expert on something and 3 comedians on it. Great show. It is like Doug Loves Movies and Hound Tall mixed.  Chris Duffy is a solid host.

Serious/Other
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - Might be one of the best podcasts ever. Dan Carlin's history shows are simply amazing. If you like History you NEED to listen to this show.
Start Up - Gimlet Media. Each season follows a start up. The first one was his new podcast empire (Gimlet Media). Great show.
Reply All  - Gimlet Media. The hosts cover strange things that happen online. This show is AMAZING. One of the best podcast out there.
Mystery Show - Slow start, but has had some awesome episode. The host solves little mysteries in people's lives. Really fun. 
This American Life - Probably the biggest podcast ever. 
Wine For Normal People  - I work in the wine industry. This is solid. I know a lot of it, but it nice to throw on in my store
Mortified - People read narratives from their diaries when they were younger. Super entertaining.
99% Invisible -  Similar to This American Life
Song Exploder - The host dissects songs with the songwriter. Very cool
Criminal - Radiotopia. The host does short episodes on really anything surrounding crime. Very interesting show.
Tim Ferris Show - Tim Ferris just talks to super successful people
Smart Passive Income -  Discusses the title more or less. 
Entrepreneur On Fire - Interviews Entrepreneurs every episode. 

I could probably go on but I wont. 

some podcasts I listened to in the past week or so that were great or worthwhile

Marc Maron-Laura Jane Grace/Tom Gabel (Against Me!)
I don't know how others feel, but I never left the Against Me! bandwagon at any point the way others did.
this was obviously more of a talk for Marc to talk to someone who is transgender.

Interesting...
-Laura is going through a bad divorce (wife stuck through her going through transgender and was adamant about that). I kind of always wondered how someone could stick with someone that switches genders in a marriage after having a child unbeknownst that your partner was transgender. It's dramatic even if you're bisexual. but it didn't seem to matter...but it fell apart so fast anyway even after that Rolling Stone article
-...not sure of the specifics of the divorce, but sounds like bad drug addiction (cocaine; pills, etc) and suicide attempt on Laura Jane's part. Not on speaking terms...and, yeah, I'm worried about her.
-the drug addiction concerns me if it's there...sounds like it's more weed, but sounds like there's something more there too
-the drummer who left and 'is kind of a jerk' is Max Weinberg's son...but then again, I missed a tweet where Laura said in September 2014: "Dear Slipknot: Good luck with that #shitbag" in terms of Weinberg joining Slipknot
http://www.stereogum.com/1706271/laura-jane-grace-slams-ex-against-menew-slipknot-drummer/wheres-the-beef/

Wil Anderson-Greg Behrendt (Wilosophy)
host of TOFOP/FOFOP...but this is a side podcast where it's much more serious, as an interview, than a casual conversation...and Greg has gone through something pretty serious.

Greg Behrendt is 1 of 2 guys who were part of, hands down, my favorite podcast ever in Walking the Room
Greg is battling cancer right now (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) and sounds like he's doing really well...the VERY last Walking the Room episode recorded live in Australia, he literally just found out he had cancer I believe, and was on drugs to deal with it.

But yeah, I loved this conversation. 

TOFOP/FOFOP w/ Wil Anderson (Gareth Reynolds)-Groundhog Dexter
fun conversation

Opie & Anthony: Marc Maron Interviews Obama
they talk to Maron about interviewing Obama...so it's a more fun version recap of the situation with comic friends (notably Jim Norton) than what Maron rehashed on his podcast by himself AND with his producer.

Grantland Pop Culture w/ Chris Ryan -Don Winslow
one of my favorite writers

Pete Holmes: You Made it Weird
-Michael Che
-Jimmy Kimmel

very fun stories that made me laugh for sure. Highly recommend all these.

-Zach Galifianakis (October 26th 2012) -amazing

for Mixhail...I'd say, for sure, this is a podcast he'd love.
It's deep, at times, in a way he'd like with some philosophy...but it's just a good time and Holmes goes for a good time/fun conversation in ways Maron doesn't. You will laugh far more listening to Holmes than you would with Maron,

Joe Rogan-Jon Ronson
want to get into reading more Ronson. Fascinating conversation at times.

Bill Burr on Michael Rapaport podcast
2-parter
fun to listen to since Burr (Boston fan) and Rapaport (NY sports fan) get into some shit...have similar personalities and dominating accents too. And are gingers.

the Dollop-Jade Helm
worth listening to since something fucked up is going on in Texas right now....usually they do topics throughout history, but this is a recent one and it's rare for them to do something VERY recent. I've heard about this but it's super messed up. And funny.

Never Not Funny -Greg Behrendt
saving this one to listen to
You Made it Weird-Live From San Diego (Emily Gordon; Blake Anderson; Nathasha Leggero; Armen Weitzman)
fun listen
Inactives NFL Podcst: NFL's Dumbest Off-Field Injuries: 30 minutes long
they just talked about injuries and a LOT of fan-submitted injuries. I saw Riley of Thrice tweet his injury to Matt Ufford that was funny as hell to read. I thought for sure Ufford was going to read that. But there was a staggering amount of funny, brutal, and stupid injuries.

2nd week in a row Nick Stevens is on vacation: looking forward to having him back on

I really have to recommend 'the Dollop' again as a SOUTH PARK/MONTY PYTHON-ish dismantling of American history and takedown...and they would make for UNBELIEVABLE movies. Most of the time, it's on something overlooked historically.

Funny and great concept: one comic reads a subject...to another comic who has NO idea what the topic is about.

WHERE I'D START
#1-'the Rube' -#1 with a fucking bullet
#2-'Hugh Glass' (listen to it before the Leonardo Dicaprio movie comes out)
#3-'Purity Balls'
#4-'Competitive Tickling'
#5-'Cliven Bundy;' 
#6-'Ten Cent Beer Night'
-#7-'Smollop: Oofty Goofty'
#8-'Smollop: Michael Malloy'
-9-'the Dark Secret of Swimming Pools'

'the Death of George Washington'

AV CLUB: Apart from the rather tame common misconception that he sported a set of wooden teeth, America’s first president George Washington has had a fairly blemish-free public image for most of the country’s history. There is that nasty business about him owning a small town’s worth of slaves, but in the minds of most he is crossing the Delaware River in perpetuity. It is then a bit of an amazing act of debasement on this week’s The Dollop, as the heroic image of Washington is given an Ecce Hommo restoration-style makeover. The episode recounts Washington’s final days on Earth, which are an exhaustingly hilarious indictment of the treatment paid to America’s foundingest of fathers. Much of the humor comes from the rather more improvisational feeling surrounding the practice of medicine at the end of the 18th century, with new treatments being thought up and applied within the same moment. Show hosts Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds pour scathing acid on Washington’s physicians, who subjected the dying man to an absolutely horrific battery of remedies in his final hours and even beyond. The details of which, including a poultice of blister beetles, massive bloodletting, and spontaneous bowel evacuation, all feel a little “too soon!” even some 200 years hence. It is phenomenally funny, but the dollar may never look the same.

http://www.avclub.com/detail/pitchfork-gets-back-podcasting-jeff-tweedy-223127?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default

Im going to check out The Rube. I have listened to maybe 2 or 3 of them. Found it enjoyable but did not really grab me enough to subscribe. 

Some other podcasts I have been listening to lately are 

Planet Money - I am super late to this. It is pretty much stories revolving around economics. 
Longform - "A weekly conversation with a non-fiction-writer about how they got their start, how they work, and how they tell stories"
Fugitive Waves - This is where the Kitchen Sisters (famous producers) go through their old archive of recordings and tell stories "from the flip side of history."
The Late Show Podcast - This is Colbert's podcast about leading up to the show. It is short and enjoyable. He talks with people from the production side of the show about their past, present and future. 
Benjamin Walker's Theory Of Everything - He pretty much takes interesting stories through interviews and strings them together to tell a narrative of a theory. If that makes sense haha. 

Nice....my brother got into the episode and he's not much for podcasts and the like. So I was pleasantly surprised. I figured, 'you're into baseball, so maybe this?'
He then text me something like, "Hey, 'the Rube' was good so thanks for ---OH! A FIRETRUCK! *goes and chases it"

most of the top 5 episodes came VERY early on...Cliven Bundy was the first one; he was the Nevada rancher who sparked a firestorm a year or 2 ago. I mean, holy shit.

Dave used to do the podcast completely by himself...it sucked. He did an episode on Ted Nugent. I think those have been banished. Rightly so.

'Competitive Tickling' is the absolute silliest, for sure. And it's more complex/dumber/surprising than you would expect going in.
'Purity Balls' were something I was vaguely aware of...glad to see that highlighted for an hour and made fun of.

Edited by Cassidy