Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ignitionnight

Best Podcasts

141 posts in this topic

^I hear about Dan Carlin's Hardcore History here and there...is there an episode to start out with? Might check out at some point.

I don't care for Brian Redban. Rogan's podcasts are mostly bloated/pointless, but he added NOTHING to the show. Just felt like a weird sidekick to have who didn't have anything to offer except looking up shit on the internet. I LOVED it when Burr shit on him in an argument in an episode. Then, of course, Rogan did too. I think it had something to do with Stitcher.

^I hear about Dan Carlin's Hardcore History here and there...is there an episode to start out with? Might check out at some point.

I don't care for Brian Redban. Rogan's podcasts are mostly bloated/pointless, but he added NOTHING to the show. Just felt like a weird sidekick to have who didn't have anything to offer except looking up shit on the internet. I LOVED it when Burr shit on him in an argument in an episode. Then, of course, Rogan did too. I think it had something to do with Stitcher.

Hardcore History is a serious investment in time. I just don't have the attention span for 6 4 hour episodes on World War 1. I'm sure if you have downtime and can dedicate 4 hours in a row to listening and paying attention it would be great. I just can't do it. I still listen to a lot of podcasts at work, but only in bits and pieces now. I work an inbound phone line so every 5 minutes or less I'm answering a call which makes it impossible to pay attention and finish a hardcore history episode, then couple that with the fact they are usually long drawn out mini-series then its pointless to even try.

Common Sense is way more approachable. It's his take on current political events. The episodes are usually between 30 and 60 minutes so they are much easier to digest, not to mention being about current events makes it easier to understand.

Brian Redban is love or hate for most people. He's an overgrown child, might be individually the stupidest person I've ever listened to talk. But he's funny, and I think he brings an important quality to Joe's podcasts. Joe takes himself too seriously these days, thinking he's an intellectual and a high minded person, when in reality he's likely just the most educated idiot in the room. Redban doesn't pretend to be anything other than his own dumbass self. Redban is the only reason Joe has a podcast, Joe can't full on ditch him. But Joe and Redban seem like two kids who were best friends in jr high, then high school rolled around and Joe started to get popular and Redban didn't. Joe still pretends to be friends with Redban, but when his cool friends are around Joe shits all over Redban trying to be cool. It's pretty sad.

Edited by ignitionnight

AV Club interviews the Dollop

http://www.avclub.com/article/hosts-dollop-gator-wrestling-rubes-and-historys-gr-235256

---------------------------------

Bill Burr on his podcast in a throwaway this week mentioning that he's learning French just to go to France, pretend he doesn't speak French, then have people make fun of him for it, then call them out that he understood everything they said made me laugh. I'm thinking of trying to learn SOME Spanish for the same reasons.

Wild'n'Out without Nick Cannon

new podcast 5 episodes in; they got an actual cease-and-desist from Nick Cannon himself for the name of their podcast on the 4th episode they mentioned.

It's led by Justin Halpern ('Shit My Dad Says' twitter guy). He previously had a basketball podcast with Paul Shirley that was great; and he appears often on FilmDrunk and is enjoyable there.

So yeah, I'd highly recommend this: I laugh often and it's 3 young married dads. I figure it might be boring because of that...but it's genuinely funny.

really do have to pimp Wild'n'Out Without Nick Cannon Episode 7 this week: "Voyer Motel'

Holy shit...and Justin Halpern's quick Chuck Berry/Back to the Future joke destroyed me.
If you find that funny, go back and listen to all the previous episodes. I laugh hard so much. Episode 6, last week's, is the weakest, but the others are great.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/04/11/gay-talese-the-voyeurs-motel

Six Hundred Dollar Podcast w/ Justin Halpern (formerly Wild'n'Out)

funniest podcast I listen to. Always makes me genuinely laugh out loud. And that's difficult.

If you're a parent/married, I imagine it's a must-listen...but that's not necessary. I would listen to EVERY episode (less than 20 episodes in). It's so goddamn funny.

The Dollop -'Otto in the Attic' (live)
This one is absolutely batshit fucking insane...and clear they held on to this one for awhile.

'the Girl Watchers' and the Domino's Pizza Story' are insane recent ones too.

the podcast is funny, some episodes can be forgettable...but sometimes the shows are relevant history lessons that show patterns repeating themselves in weird ways...others are just batshit fucking insane.

The podcast exists to document how America is not that great. It can be a clown show and a tire fire. And I have zero idea why most these true stories nobody knows about. They are incredibly detailed, thoroguh, and would make for awesome movies. It's unreal.

Pardon my Take
fun every now and then to listen to. Incredibly stupid at times though, but the guys are genuinely funny. I could see them being stars in the making both.

-----------------
I'm digging 'Common Sense' with Dan Carlin. I know people are into 'Hardcore History' but those episodes are audiobook investments I just don't have time for. Bummer.

The Dollop -'Otto in the Attic' (live)
This one is absolutely batshit fucking insane...and clear they held on to this one for awhile.

This was a great episode. Sometimes Gary's jokes or reactions are just too over the top for me, but this episode he was hilarious and had me laughing pretty hard the whole way through. 

The Michael Rapaport Stereo Podcast
You know the Gringo Mandingo, some people call him Mr. White Folk, some people call him White Mike. This is my new favorite podcast, I'm pretty sick of Fighter and the Kid at this point but this one fills the void of comedy/sports for me pretty well. He's also a can't miss guest on any other podcast, he makes Fighter and the Kid good again, just downloaded his Bill Simmons appearance, excited to listen to it.

Gareth's commentary can be hit-or-miss, leans heavily on accents and improv....I kind of tune out of episodes here and there, but when it's good, it's unbelievable comedy and great stories.

I love Rappaport when he comes on Simmons or Burr's podcast. Burr is good with anybody, but there's the NY-Boston sports clash/rivalry.

Malcolm Gladwell's REVISIONIST HISTORY podcast (10-episode 1st season)

heard Vince Mancini of FilmDrunk praise this. I knew he had a podcast, but I didn't think much of it.

I'm 2 episodes in...and it's pretty great. Clearly a lot of time went into it, it's well-told/crafted in a Gladwell way. I don't care for NPR pieces since they're told in a boring, put-you-to-sleep voices and tone...and it does have elements of that....but Gladwell is good.

Handsome Rambler w/ Hannibal Burress

3 episodes in...last 2 episodes have been real solid, some great stories

Keeping it 1600 (the Ringer network)

I never really agreed with this podcast because I'm far more left than they were, never bought Hillary as a candidate. But I tended to agree with their disgust they had each week in politics. They WERE smug/cocky, so today's was interesting since they told listeners to not be 'bedwetters' for awhile and that things were going to be all right. Going to be some changes going forward. The guys behind them are Obama's speechwriter/staff. They are hopeful/optimistic about the country in ways I am not at all.

I think the Dollop and Common Sense are closer to how I view things. Dollop is amazing at capturing how fucked up America has been and still is and that it's NEVER been great. Common Sense breaks things down greatly. 

Joe Rogan/Doug Stanhope End of the World Show w/ Bill Burr/Bert Kreischer
Burr was awesome when I listened to the live stream of this last night.

My Favorite Murder 
40+ episodes and counting and I'm 4 episodes away from being all caught up...they basically just read Wikipedia entries on murders each week, but I enjoy it.

Pardon my Take
yeah, this is amazing and funny.

------------------------
there's going to be a TON of great comedy/podcasts to look forward to to talk me off the ledge.

-Dollop #224 on the Bundy Oregon Ranch takeover (a sequel): all-time great episode...and live in Portland last week with Wil Anderson (real fun Australian comic I like on his podcast TOFOP or FOFOP)

-Pete Holmes episode last week w/ Moshe Kasher is a fun listen

Chapo Trap House-is great. 
Politics podcast + humor

I only listened to 3 episodes (podcast right before the election, the one after, and the final one of the year). I'd recommend the one after the election AND the final one for the takedown. I might go back and listen to some here/there. But it's EXACTLY what I want 'Keeping it 1600' to be but it never will be.

Favorite Podcast Episodes of 2016
-End of World Election Night (Joe Rogan)—Bill Burr steals the live show from Stanhope, Rogan, Kreischer, etc—tour de force that came out the night of the Election while shit was going down. Burr is going for pure humor and some guests come on who have an issue with how he views things in a blunt, fair way where everything gets shit on and everything sucks: but, at the end of the day, his life is not going to be ruined. What I like about Burr is this: he will say awful things that you don’t agree with…but by the end you are on his side and laughing with him.
-600 Dollar Podcast-‘Voyeur Motel’—Halpern reads out Gay Talese’s story of a guy who ran a hotel and had a secret viewing station set up above every guest’s bed and he would watch people have sex. It’s creepy, but here? Funny as hell. The ‘Back to the Future’ joke Halpern quickly gives almost made me crash on the Mass. Pike
-Dollop/My Favorite Murder crossover-‘Otto in the Attic’ -Dollop does a murder w/ My Favorite Murder as guests. It is wild.
-Dollop-‘Bundy 2: Oregon Takeover’ –one of the first Dollops was about Cliven Bundy, the anti-government rancher. This time, his kids took over Oregon—and, most recently, they went unpunished despite a takeover with guns. Just unreal. 
-Pardon My Take-‘Cat Killer Michael Rappaport’ (first part interview goes for 15 minutes or so)
-Justin Halpern’s Papa Roach story on Frotcast—I was in tears at work listening to this. It helps to have been of age when Papa Roach was a thing in the late 90′s/early 2000s (Filmdrunk Frotcast; 3:30 mark on the ‘Best of 2016’: 90 second story basically)

------------------------
I wrote up more on my shitty ass Tumblr page.
If I could figure out how to have a 'KEEP READING' thing to hide the rest, that would be great.

yeah, Chapo Trap House I am REALLY into. If you're into politics/humor, it should be up your alley, It's damn funny and cutting.
I signed up to support it on Patreon: sucks they don't make those episodes available to download the way I'd like. Oh well. It's basically bi-weekly if you support it for $5/month.

Bertcast
Bert Kreischer's podcast this week with Dave Anthony & Gareth Reynolds? It is fucking nuts/amazing. It is hard to make me laugh out loud and I was legit crying laughing multiple times. Great stories.

I am the biggest fan of Dave Anthony on any podcast...and here he is paired up with Gareth Reynolds of the Dollop. Even if you are NOT familiar with them, it is a good way to check them out.

3 hours 30 minutes long but it blows by.

Found it interesting that...
-Bill Burr is interested in doing a Dollop episode
-Dave/Gareth want to go on Joe Rogan (Dave has kind of shit on Rogan a couple times i know, but he's warmed up to him; Gareth is more down for that)
-Bert saying it's the best podcast he's ever done and easiest...and wants to just have a podcast with them. 

Bill Burr
-making the rounds promoting his special: think he's on Bertcast. Did Bill Simmons. Sure he'll be on others.

the Dollop -'Dope Lake'
Not the best or funniest episode...I just think the story is funny and would make for a great fucking comedy. Don't want to give it away.
I think all Dollop episodes would make really great fucking movies.

Pod Save the World (Tommy Vietor of Pod Save America/Keeping it 1600) is new and has been really good, particularly the second episode (Half the World with Dan Restrepo).

-Bill Simmons' pod with Kevin Durant is solid. Durant comes across well, better than he did on Simmons' show with Nas.

-Bertcast #200 with Bill Burr & Tom Segura
worth listening to it just for this moment...skip to a 3-5 minute bit: Tom Segura, 2 hours 17 minutes and 20 seconds left begins a Wu-Tang Clan story. You will lose your shit when Segura begins to lose his shit telling the story.

My Favorite murder live in Boston

-saw the 10 PM show. Took a friend who had no familiarity whatsoever with the podcast (or ANY podcast), I was worried she wouldn't have fun, or get the inside jokes with the opening banter before they discuss murders. But she was into it the whole way.
-only bummer was the cunts directly next to us who talked loudly the whole time (it was mostly guys)
-the show is REALLY huge and sells out everywhere (sold out both shows) for people that just started and don't really tour as comics.

recording should be up at some point.

the Dollop episode #247 -'the Falling Pilot'
-reverse Dollop where Gareth tells the story
-it's not an all-time great Dollop, but it's such a goddamn unreal/funny story that would make an unbelievable movie once you go over what the fuck happened. I've re-told the story to a couple people already.