Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kibagami

Dota 2

25 posts in this topic

Not sure how many Dota 1/2 players we have floating around. But thought it deserved its own thread regardless.

I'm about 40 games into Dota 2 and still digging it... although the novelty factor of the graphics etc is wearing off.

Some thoughts:

-The new shop system has taken quite some time to get used to (I never really played the dota variants that have similar systems), but its a hell of a lot more efficient now that i have.

-the first 10 games suck in a way, you get stuck with a lot of players who clearly have no experience with this type of game... which, at the risk of sounding like an elitist, was frustrating. but i suppose good at the same time as it means we're getting a lot of exposure to gamers from other genres.

-AM is slowly becoming less effective, I approve.

-on the whole Dota 2 players seem to be much better team-mates than the in Dota 1. or at least they recognise their roles better and tend to play appropriately. Obviously doesnt mean they're pros... but no-one likes seeing a CM that doesnt buy wards/courier at the start.

-the matchmaking system (the basic beta version), seems to work pretty well. The games im playing now are pretty much always competitive and are rarely impacted by there being one guy dragging everyone else down... that said team comp can still defeat you from the get go as always.

-RECONNECT. best thing ever.

anyways. my steam username is justinjubber (Dota 2 nick is Kibagami). I'm in Aus which may cause issues, but if anyones keen for a game hit me up.

I signed up for the beta first day we could, BUT I said I have a mac (I play all my games in Windows 7 via bootcamp) and they didn't give out any keys to the mac players. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Care to elaborate on why you dislike it? Beyond transitional issues i mean. i agree the first 10-15 games are frustrating due to the number of bad players or people who are completely new to this type of game. after that though, the matchmaking system works really well and games tend to be competitive in terms of player skill.

People also need to keep in mind that the games still in closed beta.... and its already this polished.

Man I've talked to about 20 different people that have played the beta and they all have hated it with a passion. Bumming me out.

Man I've talked to about 20 different people that have played the beta and they all have hated it with a passion. Bumming me out.

Seriously? I must be in a fanboy area then. pretty much everyone I know that has a key has loved it (granted most of them were fans of the original). assuming you liked DotA you'll love DotA 2.

tangent: I find it a bit bizarre that with 4 games within the same genre there can be such a huge swing in terms of people hating/loving each... having played all 4 there isnt all that much difference between them. I found HoN/LoL a fair bit easier than DotA on the whole... the consequences of bad play/mistakes seem far more lenient which i dont think encouraged people to play at their best.

That being said, Dota 2 isnt a final product yet, so when you get a chance to play it keep that in mind.

i know that pain. i got lucky about 3 or 4 weeks ago... had spent the previous 4 or 5 months getting updates from a friend who got a key in the very first wave... not fun.

It's less the game (which is awesome for the genre) and more the people. I mean, I'm new, so I'm not that good, but I just get tooled on the entire time and it fucking pisses me off.

Not sure if any of you follow the pro scene at all. I'm living in Aus at the moment, stoked to see AL get an invite to the International. They've been playing damn well lately, picked up wins against some really top teams (like DK last night). I'm really excited about this tournament.

I don't get why they don't have an open beta yet. They would create such a larger fan base if anyone could play this game. I know so many people that are still looking for keys.

Yea I haven't read anything about how they're going to progress to the release of the final product. They may just continue releasing keys bit by bit until it is effectively an open beta.

I think keeping some of the exclusivity of the beta works in their favour as well, keeps the hype going. Which is why I don't think there will be an open beta. The advanced state of the game as it is and Gabe's admission that it's going to be free to play make me think that it would be a waste of time. I think they'll continue adding heroes/fixing bugs and it'll get released around the International

I don't get why they don't have an open beta yet. They would create such a larger fan base if anyone could play this game. I know so many people that are still looking for keys.

From what I've heard/read its a question of server capacity at the moment. They've admitted in the last couple months that the game is essentially finished (barring the remaining heroes to be added) but its hard for them to simply make it open/release the game as mass migration from LoL/HoN plus new players would be a huge number of additional players.

So....FUCK. THIS. GAME. Not because it's a bad game (I love it) or because it's hard to learn (IT'S WORTH IT) but because, if you're new, people get pissed and "report" you and valve does NOTHING to examine these reports so if you get reported enough (which, as a newcomer, people will be pissed at your lack of understanding of the game and report you) then you are placed in the "Low Priority Punishment Pool" which means you get no item drops or battle points in the game.  This FUCKING includes those of us who have (me for example) paid for an item that gives 200% item drop and battle points each match.  So, because I'm new and not perfect at the game, I got reported and lost some of my money....

It's great, much harder and more complex than LoL. Which can be frustrating when you first start, but ultimately becomes immensely satisfying. 

Valves support of the game is amazing as well, which is not surprising considering that Gabe loves it so much. The easiest example of this is the annual tournament they hold, which is going on right now. "The International 3" which has a first place prize of roughly 1.5million, there's tons of video etc around on youtube and the official site to give you a feel for the community.

Its worth a try, its free after all. There have been 5.7 million unique users so far this month, we can't all be wrong!