Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DK.

2012 Fantasy Football

695 posts in this topic

Considering doing a 1st round keeper for returning players. New players would then get their 1st round pick and then snaking around to the 2nd round, meaning new players (or those choosing to not take a keeper) would get two picks before those selecting keepers would get their 2nd player. Draft order for teams with a keeper would be in order of standings from last season and I'd randomize the other teams and set the order that way.

LMK if you guys want to do a keeper. It could evolve into something cooler in later years, where you get up to 3 keepers that were not selected in rounds 1 or 2 and you lose the draft pick two rounds higher in the following year's draft. In other words, if you took DeMarco Murray in the 15th round last year, you could keep him this year in exchange for your 13th round pick. The following year, he'd cost you 3 rounds higher and then 4 rounds higher in the final year he is available to you as a keeper, unless he winds up being worth a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... auction.

keeping guys from a redraft year is dum.

What does that mean?

I'm confused but I'm in. And hopefully I don't suck as much this year.

The keeper thing will be simple this year and get more complex next year. This year you'd choose one keeper from last year as your first round pick.

Then you would be put into the pool of other people who didn't take a keeper or are new owners and you'd get a 1st round selection.

Just throwing this out there -- considering 12 teams with two divisions... or 10 teams with two divisions. If I could set the schedule, this could be very cool. With 10 teams, you'd play your division twice and the other division once.

I was saying that last year we did a redraft league (aka not a keeper league), and I think taking keepers from a draft where nobody knew they were keepers is stupid. But I guess you're saying keep one guy as your first rounder... why not start it as a fresh keeper league this year?

I gotcha. Either way works for me. We'll vote on it when it comes down to it so everyone else voice some opinion.

It doesn't matter that much this year other than adding to the excitement of a keeper league because everyone kept this year will be automatically disqualified as keepers next season since they will be first rounders, so no one is keeping Aaron Rodgers or Megatron beyond this season. I kinda see it this year as potentially rewarding returning interest, especially since I don't think we could get everyone to put money on the line. Also, future draft orders will likely be determined by something other than randomness.

Edited by DK.

It'd be fine with me, I thought at first we were talking about doing the full keeper thing from last year. I didn't even get to draft my terrible fucking team, so that has something to do with it...

I guess I'd be keeping McCoy... could be worse...

You could opt to not keep if we do it this way this season... so you'd get a 1st round pick and a 2nd rounder before the players with keepers get their 2nd rounder. In other words, peeps with keeps will "draft" first and take their keeper, and snake back around to be at the end of the 2nd round.

Keeper cutoff will be a few days before the draft... For a few reasons, including me needing to put the people with keepers picking "first" (where they select the keeper) and then randomizing the rest w/o keepers. Basically, the draft will work like this. Pretend we have 5 teams... three have keepers (A, B, C), two don't (D, E).

Rd 1:

A (select keeper)

B (select keeper)

C (select keeper)

D

E

Rd 2:

E

D

C

B

A

Rd 3:

A

E

etc.

D & E's order will be randomized and the keeper teams will draft probably based on last season, but maybe just randomized within themselves since I'm not sure if it makes more sense to base it off of season finish or playoff finish. This is basically in the interest of fairness for new owners as well as fairness for those not taking a keeper -- they get first dibs twice on what is left outside of the keepers. Based on that grouping, someone may decide that Aaron Rodgers isn't worth a potential #1 overall or early 1st round grouping and may consider not taking a keeper and having a lower 1st & early 2nd round pick instead, potentially reacquiring Rodgers.

Keeper submission deadline will definitely be after week 3 of preseason (the last time regulars will play). Also, they'd be kept private by me, as would the list of who chose to keep someone. In the interest of fairness, I will be taking a keeper myself so no one could consider that I am playing the list (as I'd be the only one with full knowledge) or stacking the draft order for my own benefit.