Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DK.

2012 Fantasy Football

695 posts in this topic

Okay, so there's been some discussion about how the keepers will work but I'm not sure if anything was actually finalized. Does projected draft position matter, or where we picked them last season? Sorry if this was actually already said, but I have a really tough decision to make and I want to make sure I do this right.

The only keeper we might have this season would be ONE replacing your 1st round pick. I haven't decided if we'll actually be doing that or not.

In this year's draft, you'll be drafting for up to 3 potential keepers for next season. There will be values assigned to those players based on where they were drafted. No one drafted in the 1st & 2nd rounds this season will be eligible as a keeper next year (that includes this year's potential single keeper). I'll be figuring it all out this week.

DK can you please change the ridiculously high scoring for defensive points. 20 for a shutout, 6 points for a blocked kick, and 15 for 1-6 points allowed is ridiculously high (look at the default points for instance). I remember last year we had defenses scoring 30-40 points regularly and that's too crazy. Considering teams that allow few points are already jacking up their point totals with probable INTs/Fumbles and Sacks, we don't need bonuses that high.

Negative. The best defense last year was 287 points and it drops below 200 at #12. By comparison, the #1 QB was 534, dropping below 200 @ #19 with an injured Matt Schaub... bested by such superstars as Josh Freeman, Mark Sanchez & Matt Hasselbeck. #1 RB 361, under 200 @ 15 (injured Fred Jackson)... #1 WR 346, under 200 @ 15 (Dwayne Bowe). It seems pretty straight to me. And the defense are pretty flat as a bunch (#20 = 177 pts... so little drop off). You're just used to defenses being completely worthless and mostly the same, which a huge bulk of them are in a ppg avg so why can't an outstanding 60 minute performance be rewarded??

Invites were sent out for 10 teams total, including me. I'm lacking PM replies from some people who said they were previously interested and I'm more than willing to move on.

Alex, get me an email for your friend.

Edited by DK.

So 12 defenses are better/equal to 15 of the best running backs and receivers in the league? and 20 Ds got 177 (close to 200?) That's ridiculously high considering everyone only starts 1 D and has to start 2 RBs and 2 WRs. Defenses have way too much power.

You're rewarding them too much for how few defenses there are. A D that gets a return TD, only gives up 6 points, gets 2 INTs, 4 sacks and a blocked kick scores freaking 38 points with your scoring and can basically win a game like Adrian Person or Arian Foster could (and those studs are scarce each week). Change 1-6 points allowed to 7 and blocked kick to 3 and its still a good 28.

everyone only gets to start 1 QB, can you believe they're worth the most? god DK, you're awful at this and I'm so mad that you kept it to the same as last year when I bitched about this and eventually stopped caring.... ....oh wait, that's not me.

I changed blocked kicks to 3, but they're so infrequent that it doesn't really matter. The top D last year had zero.

You're rewarding them too much for how few defenses there are. A D that gets a return TD, only gives up 6 points, gets 2 INTs, 4 sacks and a blocked kick scores

Argue with me that you wouldn't consider that a game-winning, dominant performance from one of your half dozen favorite teams IRL.

Argue with me that we shouldn't be drafting defenses in the 2nd or 3rd round if they can get you scores that high. O wait that's dumb because defenses are widely unpredictable and many can just be picked up off waiver wires every week. That's luck, not skill (especially since waivers have always been first come first serve) and it hurts the balance of the league.

Phil, QBs get to score more because they are the most important single player position in the league. Still though, even their point totals are inflated in this league thanks to the completions/incompletions stat.

Again, I say it every year, the point totals are too high and there are too many stat categories with too many arbitrary point totals (6 for a blocked kick? THAT'S A FREAKING TD!). Fantasy Football should be as simple as possible, not so complex that it basically comes down to luck or gaming the system to win.

Edited by Mixhail

So...Mixhail, you think defense is not as important as a QB. (the ENTIRE defense)

And why should a blocked kick not be worth as much as a TD? In real life that takes 3 points away from the other team and sets up your team in a great position to score...that's a 6-10 point swing!

And ARE defenses wildly unpredictable? If you look at the top defenses and the top RBs from last year, I bet you the defenses were much more in line with what you expected than the RBs were.

Invites sent to those two email addresses. I'm waiting on Adam to accept his and I think Popcorn (Philly Flashmobs last year?).

I said it last year and it made sense then and it makes sense now, Mixhail -- If you want to take a defense in the 2nd round, be all of our guest. If you believe that the defense scoring completely changes this game, then draft accordingly. If you believe SF will be an outlier and that much better than 5, 6, 7 other defenses that could be in that position, then take them in the 2nd round you have a whopping 2ppg edge over everyone else.

Edited by DK.

So...Mixhail, you think defense is not as important as a QB. (the ENTIRE defense)

And why should a blocked kick not be worth as much as a TD? In real life that takes 3 points away from the other team and sets up your team in a great position to score...that's a 6-10 point swing!

And ARE defenses wildly unpredictable? If you look at the top defenses and the top RBs from last year, I bet you the defenses were much more in line with what you expected than the RBs were.

Defenses aren't supposed to be important because they are so volatile in their predictability. They magically get return TDs that you can't ever predict and that's dumb. Its the luckiest position in fantasy football and thats why they don't get point totals that are as high as every other one. I'd reckon defenses would explain why we had a 6-7 team win the whole league this year. Stupid luck.

Defenses either can score 40 or negative points a week. There's no middle ground and they can cost your WHOLE team a loss because of that one bad decision. That's ridiculous.

Oh and speaking of 6-7 teams making the playoffs, get ready to see alot more of those with 3 Divisions. That's why I hate em. Just let the best 6 in.

Edited by Mixhail

Dude you're super salt & vinegar. My 6-7 team was not a 6-7 team. I blew everyone away handily week 16. And my week 16 defense was Houston... in a 19-16 loss to the Dan Orlovsky Colts, which still really really burns. (But no, fucker, my defense had nothing to do with it -- 3 sacks, 1 fumble recovery, 19 pts allowed.)

Edited by DK.

I def signed up - should be fun. You guys are getting your panties in a bunch over nothing - you really can't even make a decision until you figure out your draft order.

I have a feeling that you have no idea what you're talking about there Adam, but that's cool

the only person getting their panties in a bunch is Mixhail, and it's over defensive scoring...

Accept the damn invite so I can work out the schedule!

Edited by DK.