Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mixhail

The Olympics Thread

124 posts in this topic

Starts officially tomorrow, DISCUSS!

soccer got underway yesterday. Surprised Spain lost its opener to Japan and lol at Great Britain blowing their lead too (though the ref has definitely sucked and failed to give Senegal like 20 yellows)

also, I'm sad that this Australian chick isn't in it yet:

HLzCM.gif

http://withleather.u...ensation#page/1

Edited by Mixhail

It started already? I thought opening ceremonies are tomorrow? HUH?

Are they televising the soccer games? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ceremony is tomorrow. Soccer started early. Games are on MSNBC.

Finally got to see Neymar. He's pretty fun to watch.

Can't wait to see Texas WR Marquis Goodwin (hopefully) win Gold in the long jump. His distance at the qualifiers would have won Gold in 2008.

The opening ceremony can only be a disappointment after Beijing. Especially since I've heard that it includes montages involving Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, and a social commentary on war and the state of our world economy.

Yeah I'm kinda mad that NBC isn't airing this shit live. I got shit to do tonight, I ain't gonna watch this.

Here's a rundown of whats going on. So far it sounds like Danny Boyle is tripping everyone the eff out by incorporating so many different topics:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/olympic-opening-ceremony-underway-194612830--oly.html

Maybe I'm alone in saying it, but this is some of the corniest, tasteless shit I've seen in a while.

Could just be a British thing? A lot of the effects/movie cuts look super low budget and lazily cut together.

Edited by AC Slater

Dude. This is the worst. It's filled with the most boring marching marching marching, some cleaning, a pointless, unexciting Bond reference, more marching. The most exciting part was some fun part were some fireworks I can buy at the gas station.

And am I imagining it or is the choir like all crippled kids?

This is the worst.

Edit: The only thing worse is the NBC commentary...

"None of these kids look very sick to me."

"They're actually pumping in enough sulfur to fill the noses of everybody in the audience. It might be the first time viewers at home wish they had smell-o-vision."

Yeah, 'cause I love smelling sulfur while watching people brag about the industrialization of their country.

"Y'know, sometimes there is a fine line between a child's dream... and their nightmares..." WTF!

Edited by NomadicGoldfish

if i was making a prideful presentation for britain, it would be, okay, we lost to 'merica and the world wars fucking sucked. thatcher was an asshole. we'll play the sports here, why don't you go get drunk in ireland. the whisky is great.

Maybe I'm alone in saying it, but this is some of the corniest, tasteless shit I've seen in a while.

Could just be a British thing? A lot of the effects/movie cuts look super low budget and lazily cut together.

My exact thoughts. My GF and I couldn't stop laughing during the "Boy meets girl...loses girl...stupid text messages on screen" crap. I even thought McCartney's Superbowl 05' performance of "Hey Jude" had a better feel.

Just watched the drummers from Beijing again...fuck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iySCiDaaldw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Breath of Water

Not really a problem for us, but I can't see the majority of the world actually understanding most of our ceremony. It really was British.

That's why I enjoyed it so much, to be honest. Said a lot about the culture of the UK, and for a part of the world so rich in history it was a good thing. But that whole digital age transition bullshit? I walked away for a minute. Not gonna lie. I heard the mindless pop and saw "status updates" on the screen and said "fuck this."

Edited by defy

I watched the BBC version, much better, and no fucking commercials!!! It wasnt a 6 hour marathon of bullshit. Just a 3 and a half hour one.

Hooray for womens volleyball. Slap those asses after you score!

What is the US supposed to win at?

the U.S. got their first medal today in shooting no less.

Edited by suprefan

olympics need baseball again.

not like there is much parity in basketball anyway, and soccer is different in olympics.

could be only minor leaguers if they're MLB. takes a little bit of edge from merica.

srsly though, we are the best country EVERRRRRRRRRRRRQRx=a-f0or and our pasttime isn't an olympic sport. fuck that.0rafi-0aer f

Edited by Popcorn